Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

ZachAttack posted:

DereDeredeododo.

Bulbasaur, were you the one who replaced the autocannon barrels with brass rods, or was that some other goon? Post pics again if so! I keep looking at my dodo wishing the guns were more straight, which no amount of hot water seems to get exactly right.

That was me. I staggered the barrels on it too because I thought it was cool for some reason.

I really need to get around to painting the thing, but they just aren't as much of an unholy terror in 40k these days.

E: if you're after the diameter I'll double check them in the morning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Very tempted to get into 30k but can't be arsed to learn another rule set. Am I going to get shot for asking if anyone has tried the can made 8rh edition version?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Serotonin posted:

Very tempted to get into 30k but can't be arsed to learn another rule set. Am I going to get shot for asking if anyone has tried the can made 8rh edition version?

One of the problems is the fundamental changes to 8th strip everything from what makes 30k interesting. Without sweeping and initiative some Legions (Emperor's Children :sparkles:) just don't work. I would say 30k is definitely a more serious game than 8th, but luckily it is all the good things from 7th without and of the horrible things that ruined it.

I really like 8th because it is simple and fun, but it is definitely better for slamming some toys together with friends for a laugh.

They almost announced the Horus Heresy a while ago, so any day now 30k will be totally free of 7th. One the bright side a Bolter man is a Bolter man so you will be able to use almost everything as an 8th edition space marine /csm.

Tldr: Just look at Mechanicum models.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Serotonin posted:

I've got to agree with Lord_Hambrose here; the Horus Heresy system fundamentally doesn't work within the 8th Edition framework. Things like Challenges, Sweeping Advances, Initiative, etc. are far too fundamental to do away with. The 8th Edition hambrew (E: that should have said homebrew, but the typo is too good to get rid of!) HH rules that have been floating around are pretty cleanly done, but strike me as nothing more than a set of rules for HH squads to be used in 8th Edition, rather than an actual conversion of the game for use in 8th. 8th Edition 40k has it's advantages (varied movement values, multiple damage weapons, AP modifiers, less terrible vehicles), but it lacks to depth of play that makes HH great. 7th Edition had a TON of problems, but HH fixes the vast majority of them.

Did you ever play 7th Edition, Serotonin? If you did, HH isn't much of a change, in terms of learning the rules. If you haven't, I can understand the desire to avoid learning another ruleset, but I'd still recommend giving it a go.

If you're just interested in learning a bit about the game, the 30k Channel on Youtube has some pretty solid BatReps with some gorgeous armies. This one is one of my favorites: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyF-Pq5xGTg

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Cheers for the info. Haven't played 40k since 3rd edition but recently got back into it with 8th so hadn't considered the fundamental difference in what the games model. Tbh I wouldn't be massively averse to the idea that the hambrew is just allowing 30k models to be used in 8th rather than a recreation of Horus Heresy rules but I will check your links to look more into how HH works

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
HH 1st edition is around the corner, so it's a good time to jump in when that drops. They're also selling the holiday rules bundle from FW which is actually a pretty good deal. In general you'll find that the red FW books are like meaty 4th edition codexes that somehow cost less or the same as the less meaty 40k versions. The black books are much more expensive, but are full of hot pix and fluff. You buy those to thumb through and get inspired, like a ham WW2 encyclopedia.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

BULBASAUR posted:

HH 1st edition is around the corner, so it's a good time to jump in when that drops. They're also selling the holiday rules bundle from FW which is actually a pretty good deal. In general you'll find that the red FW books are like meaty 4th edition codexes that somehow cost less or the same as the less meaty 40k versions. The black books are much more expensive, but are full of hot pix and fluff. You buy those to thumb through and get inspired, like a ham WW2 encyclopedia.

Yeah, the Black books seem crazy until you actually hold one. Once I got into 30k I legit felt bad that people pay half their price for a 40k codex with like a tenth of the fluff and awesome pictures. They are big boys.

Pretty crazy the red books are so cheap too. I love they are big handsome books with all your armies rules for the same as a normal codex.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Yeah, the Black books seem crazy until you actually hold one. Once I got into 30k I legit felt bad that people pay half their price for a 40k codex with like a tenth of the fluff and awesome pictures. They are big boys.

Pretty crazy the red books are so cheap too. I love they are big handsome books with all your armies rules for the same as a normal codex.

Yeah, I thought people were insane for buying the Black Books, until I actually flipped through one. They're full of crazy amounts of content. The color plates are awesome.

One day, I'll shell out the bajillion bucks it costs to buy all 7 of them.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Broken Record Talk posted:

One day, I'll shell out the bajillion bucks it costs to buy all 7 of them.

:same:

I only own 1 because it has both of my armies in it, but I really want to get all of them. You pretty much have to buy the one with your Legion in it, but even the stuff about armies I have no interest in playing are so well done you see why someone would really be into them, and hey everyone needs a new army...

And suddenly you are planning on an Iron Hands allied Detachment so you can use them in awesome, thematic Vengeance is Victory games...

And then... :piss:

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.
2 weeks out from the TOXX deadline, and I just noticed I'm missing some of the major components for my Knight. Apparently they didn't survive the move.

:rip: me. :negative:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Speaking of which, do we have a breakdown of who's completed their toxx and who's doomed?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
There will be a delightful post on January 1st!

I look forward to spending money on owning Angelus, a book that will exist and have excellent model support and good well-written rules.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
However, the Dark Angels can avoid giving their opponent D3 Victory Points by

PAGE BREAK

The Blood Angels are a noble legion that hide a terrible curse.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

tallkidwithglasses posted:

There will be a delightful post on January 1st!

I look forward to spending money on owning Angelus, a book that will exist and have excellent model support and good well-written rules.

Will there be a similar suicide pact self-incentivising scheme for next year?

It got me to paint up a model I otherwise would have procrastinated on forever. It did wreck my participation in the Oath thread.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

JackMack posted:

Will there be a similar suicide pact self-incentivising scheme for next year?

It got me to paint up a model I otherwise would have procrastinated on forever. It did wreck my participation in the Oath thread.

Word on the street is that it's going to be "Paint a 30k Allied Detachment" although we haven't figured out who is sponsoring the prizes yet.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

Word on the street is that it's going to be "Paint a 30k Allied Detachment" although we haven't figured out who is sponsoring the prizes yet.

This would be a good one! I am not worried about prizes. I just strive for acceptance.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Guilliman is almost done yet swordless. I throw myself on the mercy of the thread.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Beerdeer posted:

Guilliman is almost done yet swordless. I throw myself on the mercy of the thread.

Hmm, sounds like a weird conversion opportunity to me.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Beerdeer posted:

Give him a tyranid scything talon.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Beerdeer posted:

It’s gonna be good when you get banned :)

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Hmm, sounds like a weird conversion opportunity to me.

It's dildos all the way down.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I am real excited about this new toxx. I'm going to use it as an excuse to start up the Ravenwing side of my army. Rumors going around say it'll be 1 HQ, 1 Troop, and 1 unit of any other kind. I'm thinking I'm going to go with a praetor on a jetbike, a normal jetbike squad, and a jetbike command squad. All with acid rounds. :pcgaming:

As for my current toxx, I'm working on my glaive even though I'm fairly certain I'm going to be banned anyways. I'm just busy as hell with work right now and I'm probably going to wind up taking it home with me for the holidays. :shepicide:

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
If hams don’t swallow your personal life and poison your relationships with your family you aren’t hamming hard enough.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

tallkidwithglasses posted:

If hams don’t swallow your personal life and poison your relationships with your family you aren’t hamming hard enough.
I work well with deadlines. I finished my Skullapalooza man like two days before my sister's wedding while a bunch of family was in town. I worked on it only at night, in secret. I might be able to do this.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Other than the obvious Mechanicum, who’s the hot sex for a small Allied Detachment for Iron Warriors? Was toying with the idea of Talons of the Emperor but it looks like you can’t take them as Allies.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

If you’re Riding the Ironfire (luv writing that btw) Solar Auxilia brings a lot to the table.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
World Eaters are another fluffy choice, if your not honkfiring

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I'm leaning Prospero Spireguard counts as SA or Cult Militia for my TSons. Or some word bearers

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Hixson posted:

I'm leaning Prospero Spireguard counts as SA or Cult Militia for my TSons. Or some word bearers

Imperialis/Cult Militia can do the Survivors of a Dark Age thing which lets you use rhinos and land raiders as transports. Cheaper than buying Dracosans. :shrug:

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.
2 weeks to paint this beast. :rip:

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Schadenboner posted:

Imperialis/Cult Militia can do the Survivors of a Dark Age thing which lets you use rhinos and land raiders as transports. Cheaper than buying Dracosans. :shrug:

That sounds kind of neat. What black book is cult militia in?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hixson posted:

V - Tempest. It's the Ultramarines/Word Bearers Calth book.

You could definitely come up with something for Spire Guard. Maybe Survivors of the Dark Age and the +1 LD provenances?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Hixson posted:

What Safety Factor said, additionally the current list is in the Crusade Imperialis Redbook.

The only downside is that the Rhino/Raider is only available with the Survivors of the Dark Age provenance and that blocks taking Cult Horde (which is the only way to include psykers other than the Navigator) or Tainted Flesh (which is the only way to include Chaos Sp-NOOOOOOOOGLARBABLAHBALHABHHBLBL).

E: Actually either Cult Horde or Tainted Love Flesh will allow Rogue Psykers.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 14, 2017

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

2 weeks to paint this beast. :rip:

Warhammer 30k: Knights With Lights ITT

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Everybody wanna play Cult and Militia as soon as old BULBSAUR starts painting again :colbert:

Made me check the allied chart and realize nobody likes Thousand Sons for some reason. That's crazy considering the psi robots.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.
Horrible dust allergies among a majority of legonaires. Feature or bug, you decide.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Oh yeah. I should check if my allies can actually ally.

Do Ultramarines and Mechanicum play nice?

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Beerdeer posted:

Do Ultramarines and Mechanicum play nice?

"Fellow Warriors"

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

"Fellow Warriors"

Good enough!

Magos Dominus
Thallax
Thanatar w/ bombard

As I add to it slowly, I will eventually have an Ordinatus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Beerdeer posted:

Dark Angels don't get to have allies. Neither of their Rites of War allow them and Ravenwing has even further weird stipulations like being unable to benefit from the leadership of any model without LA(DA) or Sire of the Dark Angels.

They're actually best buds with the Salamanders for some reason which doesn't make any sense to me, but I'm guessing it'll be explained more in Angelus. Just seems like an odd pair considering the Salamanders don't want anything to do with Dark Age weaponry and Dark Angels are all about that poo poo. If I'd had valid options for getting real allies, I might have done up some pyroclasts or firedrakes or something for the toxx. Salamanders are pretty dang cool, but Dark Angels aren't worth running without one of their unique RoWs.