Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

Man so many good-rear end shows have started in these past couple months. No Activity, Runaways, and SMILF all rule, while the first ep of Happy! is very promising.

Yeah I was surprised by how good the pilot for Happy! is. Unhinged Hitman Stabler is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Croatoan posted:

Why would you do this to yourself. I wanna watch it but it being good will only make waiting for Jan 28 seem that much longer.

I think the premiere, in the US at least, is the 22nd. And i’ll live. I’ll have my hands full with plenty of media for the next month post-Christmas, especially since I haven’t watched the Punisher show, yet.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

False alarm, it was just an article suggesting they bring Cheers back.

Probably because it was reported back in August that NBC has standing offers out to various producers to bring back West Wing, ER, 30 Rock and The Office.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i didn't even notice until just now that Amazon has a parody of The Americans called The Canadians

it's... not very good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So an accurate parody, then?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The channel I watch in the morning before work has had a different lovely Lifetime / Hallmark Christmas movie every day this month. These movies could easily be mistaken for one another, they mostly don't even have different sets or actors for the most part. There's also a series about a dog who "saves" various holidays, or sometimes the same one over and over - in three different movies the dog saves "Christmas", "Christmas Vacation", and "The Holidays." (In non-Christmas contexts, that same dog has saved Easter, Halloween, and the entire season of Summer.)
I wouldn't be surprised if they rent out a ski resort or something in some lovely small Vermont town for a couple of months and bang out like 30 movies, sometimes they'll bring in Dean Cain when his boss at craft services lets him have a couple days off.

raditts fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 12, 2017

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Escobarbarian posted:

So an accurate parody, then?

I'm sure you didn't just say The Americans is bad, because that's a good way to end up folded into a suitcase.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I won't argue that OG W&G could be seen as a little offensive esp if viewed trough a modern lens, but for the time it was very progressive to have not one, but two! male leads who were gay characters, stereotypical or not (though lbr those stereotypes exist for a reason, also it was the 90s so more nuance in gay characters esp in comedy was rare).

Sean Hayes and Eric McCormick were the first gay dude kiss on network TV! The show is dated as hell and amps up a lot of characteristics not all gay men relate to or see in themselves, but that show did a lot of good despite it imo.

Also it's very funny and the actors are super talented.

e: the new season has also had a lot of fun playing with the fact the network will actually let it be even more gay since this isn't the 90s any more, which is a+

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

I'm sure you didn't just say The Americans is bad, because that's a good way to end up folded into a suitcase.

I’ve tried a bunch of times and got a few episodes into season 2 but it just bores me to tears :( which is weird because slow burns are absolutely my jam.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

esperterra posted:

Sean Hayes and Eric McCormick were the first gay dude kiss on network TV!

Yeah but that wasn't romantic, the real first one was Jack and Ethan on Dawson's Creek.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

less laughter posted:

Yeah but that wasn't romantic, the real first one was Jack and Ethan on Dawson's Creek.

True, but that doesn't change it being a good thing they were allowed to air a kiss at all. I think a lot of people forget just how far gay acceptance has come in such a short time. Like in my lifetime alone I've gone from it being bad or wrong for me to be gay to most people not giving a poo poo and marriage (in the US anyway, in Canada we've been p good bout that forever) being possible.

e: also imo it's an important detail in that kiss episode of W&G, while not a romantic one, the whole point of the storyline was making a point of how stupid it is two men had never kissed on TV, so Will goes out of his way to make sure he's caught kissing Jack live on the boob tube

esperterra fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 12, 2017

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

raditts posted:

The channel I watch in the morning before work has had a different lovely Lifetime / Hallmark Christmas movie every day this month. These movies could easily be mistaken for one another, they mostly don't even have different sets or actors for the most part. There's also a series about a dog who "saves" various holidays, or sometimes the same one over and over - in three different movies the dog saves "Christmas", "Christmas Vacation", and "The Holidays." (In non-Christmas contexts, that same dog has saved Easter, Halloween, and the entire season of Summer.)
I wouldn't be surprised if they rent out a ski resort or something in some lovely small Vermont town for a couple of months and bang out like 30 movies, sometimes they'll bring in Dean Cain when his boss at craft services lets him have a couple days off.

More proof that dogs are monsters

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

precision posted:

Yeah I was surprised by how good the pilot for Happy! is. Unhinged Hitman Stabler is awesome.

It’s gets better, weirder, and most importantly, crazier

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

less laughter posted:

I think Mission Hill beat it to the punch by a few months

For the couple hundred of us who were watching Mission Hill

zoux posted:

What's hallmark gonna do when all the old ladies die

A girl in my office a decade younger than me is so excited for all the Hallmark Christmas movies. The demographics would seem to run the gamut.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JethroMcB posted:

:3 One of my favourite animated things ever. Still holds up really well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su9C1XRttLc&t=902s

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

JethroMcB posted:

I loved the dopey rear end dog in that show.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I finally watched the trailer of Happy...

dafuq?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Shut Eye s01e03 with the extremely accurate depiction of tripping on mushrooms

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

I finally watched the trailer of Happy...

dafuq?

Good news, you can watch the whole dang first episode rn

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

bring back old gbs posted:

:3 One of my favourite animated things ever. Still holds up really well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su9C1XRttLc&t=902s

Its ok. A little too Kafkaesque for my tastes.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

swickles posted:

Its ok. A little too Kafkaesque for my tastes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSDBtyXbclM

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Gingerhazing/status/940674287559622656

Not bad for twenty-five. She's insanely talented though, Lumberjanes and the webcomic Nimona

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Please, no meth touching ma'am.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

precision posted:

Shut Eye s01e03 with the extremely accurate depiction of tripping on mushrooms

Yes! Someone else is watching Shut Eye.

The first season isn't amazing, but it's fun/fine. The second season is, after an episode or two of transition, much better. Plus way more Isabella Rossilini.

I mean, it's not Patriot levels of good (everyone should watch Patriot) but it's still good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yes! Someone else is watching Shut Eye.

I watched the pilot when it came out, somehow thought I had watched the whole season, and when I went to start season 2 noticed I'd never watched past the pilot. It's definitely fun and surprisingly violent/dark when it wants to be.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST
So, Search Party finale leaked a week early.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn.

I would say that was definitely a fitting end but they've left enough hanging plot threads that it could get picked up for a third season, and I kind-of hope they do just to see where the hell it goes now, especially now that Dory is officially a serial killer.

Also the resolution of Drew's storyline was perfect and hilarious, just the way his stupid plan fell apart around his ears the way it was obviously going to.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I really really loved the finale. Made up for a lot of my issues with the season’s middle. Was actively screaming NO NO NO NO at the screen when Dory turned back on the ferry. I can’t remember if it’s already been renewed but it absolutely needs to be.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watching last week's Ghost Wars and who should suddenly appear? I'll give you a hint, it involves a Canadian sci-fi actor and a beard.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

So, Psych: The Movie was fun.

Yahtzee!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Watching last week's Ghost Wars and who should suddenly appear? I'll give you a hint, it involves a Canadian sci-fi actor and a beard.

Tony Amendola! Michael Ironside! Ellen Page and her husband!

It was Ryan Robbins, right?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

:ssh:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

I'll take ryan robbins for $500

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
How big is the Pawnee City Hall that it has a limitless amount of wacky, racist murals all over the place

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Like legit Leslie and Ben is my favorite sitcom relationship because they’re just two weirdos, but like in a normal way

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
so i haven't watched even half the extant seasons of Survivor but this season, fuckups vs worse fuckups vs amoral fuckups is pretty entertaining

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Calaveron posted:

How big is the Pawnee City Hall that it has a limitless amount of wacky, racist murals all over the place
It's at least four stories and has an interior open lunch area, so pretty big.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

precision posted:

so i haven't watched even half the extant seasons of Survivor but this season, fuckups vs worse fuckups vs amoral fuckups is pretty entertaining

I'm like 3 episodes behind but this season has sucked a big bag of dicks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AV Club's Best of 2017 list is out. Seems fairly reasonable.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Nice, Netflix fired that piece of poo poo who spouted off about danny masterson's rape victims at a childrens soccer game

https://www.engadget.com/2017/12/13/netflix-fires-exec-masterson-accusers-werent-believed/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

This is a drat good list although I’d probably swap a few things from 1-10 and 11-20. How is Better Things so low?

• Locked thread