Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

marktheando posted:

It also contradicts what we have been told on the show about how Matt’s power works- his “world on fire” speech about how he sees the world and Foggy’s comment that he always knows when a woman is hot.

Not really. I imagine things like smelling really good and hearing things like the rustle of silk and such might be a good tipoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Samizdata posted:

Not really. I imagine things like smelling really good and hearing things like the rustle of silk and such might be a good tipoff.

It's enough to get by and tell if you're looking at Chunk or Black Widow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RTj7dRD6ho

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

cosmicjim posted:

Breathing and heartbeat are evolutionary involuntary actions. Being a zombie doesn’t mean your body will stop doing something just because it doesn’t need that function. Nerds overthinking it, But NOT OVERTHINKING IT ENOUGH.

Yes, I can get behind this.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

If Matt can tell how many fingers someone is holding up he can tell the difference between a hatstand and a ninja.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
To be fair, that was a lovely scene in DD; one of many involving the Hand. I thought it'd have been way cooler to have Matt or Stick just trigger the building's sprinkler system somehow and use the water to find the ninjas and create an environment that worked to their advantage. Could have been cool visually as well. Start a fire and then have the warehouse filling with smoke, illumination and rain to create this crazy battle where Stick and Matt have to battle the sensory overload but ultimately it works to their strategic advantage.

Hire me, Netflix.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It turns out it's pretty hard to write for a character when you establish that they have terrifyingly powerful hearing and can see better than a person with eyes.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

wrong htread. punisher good gun control strawman bad.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

So I finsihed the Punisher show

It was pretty good. It dragged a bit in the middle I thought and could have used some cooler action scenes

All the characters involved were good though and I look forward to pretty-boy Russo coming back as mangled-face Jigsaw in the next season :allears:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Watched Mars, it's terrible corporate propaganda.

This Zubrin guy comes off as a complete loon and the rest is just Elon Musk dick sucking. Do serious scientists really believe that poo poo about becoming a "multi planet species" to prevent human extinction? There literally isn't an event that could happen to Earth that would make it less habitable than Mars, short of a much bigger asteroid than anything that has hit in the past 3 billion years that strips away the atmosphere or something. Even if something bad happens and Earth becomes a dustbowl or the sky is blackened by dust or there's a massive famine, you're still better off in some part of Earth than on Mars or any other body. It's not a guard against extinction and Mars is ridiculously hostile, they even acknowledge that it's more like a religious than scientific goal, so why don't they take that criticism seriously? Show's also full of dumb cliches, guy dying and going to heaven, symbolically dropping a stone from his hand. Why is so much recent sci fi so weirdly superstitious, like Interstellar was?

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 12, 2017

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Punisher was just renewed for season 2 by Netflix. Yay.

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/940688215475965952

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Fartbox posted:

So I finsihed the Punisher show

It was pretty good. It dragged a bit in the middle I thought and could have used some cooler action scenes

All the characters involved were good though and I look forward to pretty-boy Russo coming back as mangled-face Jigsaw in the next season :allears:

There's no fight scene in the Punisher show as good as any of the Punisher fights in DD2.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

I know and it's a shame

Serf
May 5, 2011

Teek posted:

Punisher was just renewed for season 2 by Netflix. Yay.

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/940688215475965952

gdi, the show ended on the perfect note

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
RIP Curtis.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Welcome back, Frank

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Phylodox posted:

RIP Curtis.

Don't say this. :(

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Koalas March posted:

Don't say this. :(

I mean, I hope I’m wrong, but they gotta bring Frank back in somehow, and I don’t think they’re killing Micro or Karen any time soon.

RIP Madani?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

To be fair, that was a lovely scene in DD; one of many involving the Hand. I thought it'd have been way cooler to have Matt or Stick just trigger the building's sprinkler system somehow and use the water to find the ninjas and create an environment that worked to their advantage. Could have been cool visually as well. Start a fire and then have the warehouse filling with smoke, illumination and rain to create this crazy battle where Stick and Matt have to battle the sensory overload but ultimately it works to their strategic advantage.

Hire me, Netflix.

I thought they wre gonna resolve it by having Matt smell the ninjas, he never uses that sense really just hearing.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Phylodox posted:

I mean, I hope I’m wrong, but they gotta bring Frank back in somehow, and I don’t think they’re killing Micro or Karen any time soon.

RIP Madani?

In between seasons, Frank Castle and Danny Rand became the best of friends.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Phylodox posted:

RIP Madani?

Could just be like, he encounters something so horrendous that he can't not do something? Or just stumbles into some poo poo with some gangsters that escalates. They have lots of options for getting him back into action.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Phylodox posted:

RIP Madani?

Mob revenge for the killings Frank did in S1E01. Also, Jigsaw in back half.

They threaten but DO NOT MANAGE TO KILL: Micro and fam, Curtis, Madani. :colbert:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I thought he only killed the guys who ripped off the mob?

Will sill probably be mob related, though.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

AngryBooch posted:

In between seasons, Frank Castle and Danny Rand became the best of friends.

I'd be fine with Punisher S2 starting showing the dead, cold body of Danny Rand.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

esperterra posted:

I thought he only killed the guys who ripped off the mob?

Will sill probably be mob related, though.

No, he killed the mob guys that got robbed because that kid dropped his wallet with his ID.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I could have sworn he just killed the rest of the construction workers who roped the kid into the haul-- they were trying to kill him because the dropped wallet could lead the mob back to them.

Did he go and kill the mobsters in another episode and I somehow missed it?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

esperterra posted:

I could have sworn he just killed the rest of the construction workers who roped the kid into the haul-- they were trying to kill him because the dropped wallet could lead the mob back to them.

Did he go and kill the mobsters in another episode and I somehow missed it?

nope

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Ok, so he only killed the construction dudes.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Nah, he killed the mobsters too. It happens the next scene after the kid climbs out of the concrete hole. It's how Micro gets introduced, watching Frank on some CTV or whatever.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

oh right, i remember now

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Open Source Idiom posted:

Nah, he killed the mobsters too. It happens the next scene after the kid climbs out of the concrete hole. It's how Micro gets introduced, watching Frank on some CTV or whatever.

Okay, that makes sense. Can't believe I blanked on that, I could have sworn the episode ended after the construction site scene.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah you just don't see Frank kill the mobsters, it's all blacked out, and the lights go on when the leader guy gets back and he finds all his guy dead. Then Frank comes out of nowhere and flips the guys own gun around on him and shoots him in the head, making it look like he went crazy on all his own guys then shot himself.

Later there is a throwoaway line or a pan by a newspaper about a mob murder+suicide iirc

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

bring back old gbs posted:

Yeah you just don't see Frank kill the mobsters, it's all blacked out, and the lights go on when the leader guy gets back and he finds all his guy dead. Then Frank comes out of nowhere and flips the guys own gun around on him and shoots him in the head, making it look like he went crazy on all his own guys then shot himself.

Later there is a throwoaway line or a pan by a newspaper about a mob murder+suicide iirc

Continuing the general theme of the show and comics in general that policework is useless.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
This show owned, I'm excited to see what they do for a second season. I kind of hope the villain isn't a government level conspirator though so that they can move around a little more openly otherwise it will feel pretty repetitive. I wonder if he will straight up do the secret identity thing like Daredevil now that they cleared "Pete Castiglione" of all wrongdoing and stuff.

My one nitpick with the show was that they made Madani soooooo stupid a few times and it was clearly done just to pad the show out to thirteen episodes. But "why is this thirteen episodes" is pretty much a standard issue with all Netflix Marvel stuff. "TAKE ME TO SUPERMAX!!!!"

I really do hope Punisher gets that mini-gun back somehow though.

Regarding zombie ninja heartbeat breath, the way the scene went was that DD/Stick trying to perceive someone's position and movement by their breath was way harder and required more focus in the heat of battle than perceiving someone's heartbeat.

Daredevil was doing all of his superhuman perception via detecting the flow of a person's circulation via how their heart was beating. That particular group was a supposedly super elite squad trained to relax their circulation and breathing slowly enough that it would confuse DD's senses. The trick was that he had to fight defensively and pay close attention to whenever one of them had to take a deep breath to take them out. Basically waiting for those split seconds where had a full picture of where everyone was.

It's stupid but that's what happened.

I liked DDS2 a lot honestly, it did get a little too hokey at times like when the ninja are leaping across rooftops firing arrows at a car, and I knew we were in store for dumb things in the future when the season ending plot hook was "why are the evil Asian invaders of NYC literally digging a hole to China" or whatever, but I really enjoyed it overall and those first four episodes were awesome.

I thought Elektra was great too personally. Just because they didn't sugarcoat the character and made her a fundamentally lovely and sadistic person. Rare instance of a "we're not so different you and I" character that worked too because it wasn't brought up too much and she's literally a person who wears a red outfit and runs around enjoying beating the poo poo out of people in the middle of the night. The actress, Elodie Yung is a martial artist irl and did a lot of her own stuff like Cox, I remember she was on the short list to play Wonder Woman before Gal Gadot was picked. She was super lame in The Defenders though like almost everyone.

Daredevil in general has way better action you can see the physical commitment from a lot of the actors/stuntpeople and it's clear some real effort was put into the action. Like I couldn't believe what an insane step down Iron Fist was. The step down in action quality worked in Jessica Jones' and Luke Cage's favor because these are two folks who never haven't had to actually break a sweat for years. So their fighting style basically being adult pushing some little kids around until one gets too close and gets tossed/punched out worked.

I just still can't believe how much Iron Fist, the guy who's entire thing is that he's the best martial artist, was written and developed in the way it was.

I guess for me it would go...

Daredevil 1
Punisher
Jessica Jones/Daredevil Season 2/Luke Cage
Trial of the Incredible Hulk
Cannon Films Captain America
Iron Fist
Reb Brown Captain America
Defenders

The most tragic thing about Netflix/MCU not interacting is that we won't get a scene in Infinity War II where the Avengers need help getting through very effective locking mechanism and Turk Barrett answers the call.

Also I want to see a short about those two kids in Luke Cage rolling around NYC with their 4K rig filming superhero fights.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 13, 2017

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

esperterra posted:

Ok, so he only killed the construction dudes.

no, he killed them in the same episode

like, directly following killing the construction dudes

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Bernthal owned as the Punisher

I thought he outshined the other lead in The Walking Dead as well and he was the most interesting thing about Daredevil S2 as well. It's cool that he finally got a successful show where he can do his thing

Can't wait for more TORMENTED SCREAMS OF RAGE in s2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdrXdFY0nMo

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Finished Punisher last night. Loved it start to finish. Bernthal is the loving man and this is now my favorite Netflix Marvel, narrowly outpacing DDS1 and JJ, Luke Cage comes in after those two and I couldn't give less of a poo poo about Iron Fist or Defenders.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fartbox posted:

Bernthal owned as the Punisher

I thought he outshined the other lead in The Walking Dead as well and he was the most interesting thing about Daredevil S2 as well. It's cool that he finally got a successful show where he can do his thing

Can't wait for more TORMENTED SCREAMS OF RAGE in s2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdrXdFY0nMo

Wow, I can't believe it wasn't even half a minute's worth of screaming in the series. That's so spread out. I'll raise you with a longer one that is a real riot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGTfbMioezc

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Phylodox posted:

RIP Madani?

She got shot in the head and lived, she has Maximum Plot Armor, she ain't gonna die anytime soon.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Frank will have found a new wife with kids and then they get shot again, thus starting season two of punisher: MAXIMUM REVENGEANCE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Frank hunts down every dirty cop from New York to Illinois, all of them somehow employed by the Kingpin.