Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

axeil posted:

They forged a signed legal document :stare:

Those alt-right guys are hosed

:lol: jesus christ

At first I skimmed the story and assumed that they had cobbled together a forged HR complaint type form or something because I absolutely could not conceive of someone being dumb enough to think that trying to forge a court filing was actually good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

FizFashizzle posted:

“In principle”

Actually I think the important word there is "House, Senate leaders". The rank and file is their problem

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

echronorian posted:

I think their mistake was aiming the misinformation at an organization with a little too much integrity, someone out there will just run with it

Any organization that ran it without even trying to verify it first would be on the hook when the woman whose name was forged comes out and says "hey what the gently caress, that's a forged document and you didn't even try to verify its authenticity" then sues them for it.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Hey Detroit folks drive home safe the roads are loving turrible.

How many Detroit/Metro goons we got in here anyway?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

axeil posted:

https://www.axios.com/schumer-calls-cops-after-forged-sex-scandal-charge-2517019807.html

yeah they are hosed. cernovich and floorshitter and nochin are super hosed.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Aramis posted:

The amazing thing about this failed weaponization of sexual allegations is that it was so blatantly predictable, especially after the Franken resignation. They MUST have known that literally everyone with half a brain cell would expect this and do proper due diligence at this point, yet their attempt still managed to be that transparent.

Any legitimate news organization was going to do their due diligence all along, which is why O'Keefe got caught trying to pull a similar stunt. The sad thing is that they won't learn anything from this or maybe slowly realize that the allegations against Moore were true, no, they're going to just tell themselves that the left is better at cooking up lies and that the media runs cover.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

axeil posted:

https://www.axios.com/schumer-calls-cops-after-forged-sex-scandal-charge-2517019807.html

What kind of penalties are they looking at?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

axeil posted:

Is it a Federal or state/district issue?

Could they be pardoned?

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Straight White Shark posted:

:lol: jesus christ

At first I skimmed the story and assumed that they had cobbled together a forged HR complaint type form or something because I absolutely could not conceive of someone being dumb enough to think that trying to forge a court filing was actually good idea.

"Project Vertais hosed up their sting opperation. We can do our sting better. Quick Manchild Mike; to the ShitterMobile! We're going to commit fraud."

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cheesus posted:

Is it a Federal or state/district issue?

Could they be pardoned?

They could but even our lovely media wouldn't ignore "Donald Trump pardons alt-right assholes who forged legal documents to smear senior Democrat."

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Any organization that ran it without even trying to verify it first would be on the hook when the woman whose name was forged comes out and says "hey what the gently caress, that's a forged document and you didn't even try to verify its authenticity" then sues them for it.

There are still people who think pizzagate was a real thing, the truth doesn't matter anymore I thought this was established lore???

I'm sure there are people right now who believe Schumer really did it and a slightly better coordinated smear like this will work eventually.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Roll Call!!

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Evil Fluffy posted:

They could but even our lovely media wouldn't ignore "Donald Trump pardons alt-right assholes who forged legal documents to smear senior Democrat."

The media that Republicans see would ignore it

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Welcome to write in vote conspiracy that is spreading

https://twitter.com/KingBee0102/status/940926376751845379?s=17

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Tatsuta Age posted:

Random question, have any national Dems been busted for gross stuff with kids? Or is that a republican thing mostly (Moore, hastert, Trump)

Well, really really religious folks (I'm talking fundamentalist types) often seem to be guilty of the things they rail against. Like they think gay people should be burned at the stake, yet they often end up getting caught engaged in gay sex themselves. Or messing around with kids. And these types of people usually identify as Republican.

However, it's not unheard of for a Dem politician to be guilty of this behavior too. I mean Anthony Weiner threw his whole career away by texting dick pics to I think a 15 year old?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

This election was terrible....FOR HILLARY!!!!!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

A bunch, a number of D&D people got together in like 2010 but we are spread out all across the metro area and it fizzled after a couple times but they are cool people.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Charliegrs posted:

Well, really really religious folks (I'm talking fundamentalist types) often seem to be guilty of the things they rail against. Like they think gay people should be burned at the stake, yet they often end up getting caught engaged in gay sex themselves. Or messing around with kids. And these types of people usually identify as Republican.

However, it's not unheard of for a Dem politician to be guilty of this behavior too. I mean Anthony Weiner threw his whole career away by texting dick pics to I think a 15 year old?

Nah he threw his while career away texting dick pics to adults, then after his wife left him and then took him back, THEN he started sending dick pics to fifteen year olds. I think his wife left him again and is back together with him again.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

A bunch, a number of D&D people got together in like 2010 but we are spread out all across the metro area and it fizzled after a couple times but they are cool people.

Ya'll should come to our district parties! I missed the last one cause I wasn't feeling great but they are fun.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Nah he threw his while career away texting dick pics to adults, then after his wife left him and then took him back, THEN he started sending dick pics to fifteen year olds. I think his wife left him again and is back together with him again.

is she really back with him

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Probably just enough for Roy Moore to come a-courtin

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Sup? Just drove Bloomfield Hills-Berkley my kid from school which let it really for snow. 75 was fine, surface streets are okay. My driveway sucked, though. Time to get out the snow blower.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

business hammocks posted:

quote:

Whoever forges the signature of any judge, register, or other officer of any court of the United States, or of any Territory thereof, or forges or counterfeits the seal of any such court, or knowingly concurs in using any such forged or counterfeit signature or seal, for the purpose of authenticating any proceeding or document, or tenders in evidence any such proceeding or document with a false or counterfeit signature of any such judge, register, or other officer, or a false or counterfeit seal of the court, subscribed or attached thereto, knowing such signature or seal to be false or counterfeit, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

(June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 714; Pub. L. 103–322, title XXXIII, § 330016(1)(K), Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 2147.)

Up to a nickel, looks like. For falsifying the document, anyway. Could be other charges as well if they actually pursue it.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

The Groper posted:

Probably just enough for Roy Moore to come a-courtin

Now that's and amazing username/post combo.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

business hammocks posted:

Federal pound me in the rear end prison if it can be confirmed they forged it.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Reporting in from northern metro. Hell storm currently upon us, but my work got closed so I'm lucky.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Not from Detroit (Grand Rapids), but I've found that people from Michigan are extremely online so it doesn't surprise me that there's a fair amount of people from here ITT.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

are Cernovich and Johnson really going to get charged or is that just wishful thinking

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

is she really back with him

I’m like 95% sure they have an open marriage which they can’t publically admit, and Weiner is just too dumb to not keep getting caught.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

DLC Inc posted:

are Cernovich and Johnson really going to get charged or is that just wishful thinking

Someone is going to be in serious poo poo for this.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

Javes posted:

Not from Detroit (Grand Rapids), but I've found that people from Michigan are extremely online so it doesn't surprise me that there's a fair amount of people from here ITT.

Lurking from Kalamazoo. The ladies in my office were talking about the election earlier. General feeling is they feel relieved and hopeful for 2018.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

DLC Inc posted:

Surely we can find a US Atty that still behaves as an officer of the federal court.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Just quickly wanted to jump in this fast moving thread and draw attention to how loving great this is.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Lurking from a northern suburb of Detroit. Working from home to avoid this storm.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Republicans Say They Have a Deal on Tax Bill https://nyti.ms/2nZjqKz

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Can we crowdfund a psychiatrist so his wife can get her head examined? I recall she only left him to begin with because the Democrats pressured her to do so because he was making them look really bad.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Koalas March posted:

Ya'll should come to our district parties! I missed the last one cause I wasn't feeling great but they are fun.

Im down

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/940994734427987969

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It’s like Huma Abedin soaked up all of the Clinton’s terrible judgment about who to include in one’s inner circle and then broke new ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

Someone is going to be in serious poo poo for this.

I imagine they were at least simultaneously smart enough and dumb enough to use an actual court and probably judge/magistrate on their document so as not to give up the ruse so easily, which means that at the very least there will be a very angry court and /or judge that will want justice done.

• Locked thread