Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

FO4 trip report (with beta): The intro sucks. Really bad. The intro is awful and a terrible way to introduce you to anything. You can't pick up physics objects to fiddle with them, and there's an awkward pushback that stops you from looking into the cradle you're literally supposed to look into [it has a floor-to-ceiling object barrier that pushes the camera back if you lean over it]. There also is a weird flicker that kept happening.

After that, it's pretty decent. Once I got into the world-world it worked pretty well and the flicker went away. I had no real issues picking stuff up or moving around objects. It's kinda like they forgot to do any programming for the intro [the most important part] but actually did OK in the world itself.

Tomorrow I'll try some simple mods and see how it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

SwissCM posted:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/collections/12DD-WMR-headsets?cat0=devices&icid=VRMR_Cat_Hero_1-12DD-WMR_Headsets-12122017-en_US

$199 Mixed Reality Headsets. These aren't the best of the bunch but they're better than the PSVR and 200 bucks is insane for what you're getting.

I bought one (the Lenovo).

I've spent some more time with mine (Acer Dev kit). The HMD tracking was spot on (never had any headset tracking issue). However there is bad light bleed, and you need to have a lighted room to use the headset. It appears that the SteamVR function does not work if you are on Win 10 Enterprise because they have not released a OS build that's advanced enough for Win 10 Enterprise.

The HMD only tracking when the controllers are visible or near visible is both an issue and a non issue depending on the circumstances. I thought it would be a big deal on trying to grab stuff off screen, but that hasn't seemed to be an issue. However losing tracking when having you controllers near your body (but below the FOV) was a big issue. You end up having the controllers there when trying to use the laser pointers. I was occasionally confused because I needed to move the laser pointer slightly and I combined rotating the pointer and translating slightly and only the rotation was picked up. It seemed like the cable was longer than the rift cable. Also my headphone jack didn't work but my headset was not a retail kit.

I'm sure I'd get used to it quickly if it was my only headset.

The increased resolution is def. noticeable and static visuals look better than a Vive/Rift but only right when you are in the sweet spot (which is smaller and easier to lose due to no IPD adjustment and the bad headband).

I was unable to test with Steam VR due to having one computer on Win 10 enterprise and my other using Nvidea Optimus. At $199 and easy returns (up to 30 days no questions asked from Microsoft Store) I think it's totally a decent option to try VR.

There is essentially nothing in the Windows Store (I recall Superhot, Fantastic Contraption and Space Pirate Trainer are about the only non-trash games in the store). If you can't get SteamVR to work then these headsets are worthless for a non-developer.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Rastor posted:

The Acer has many, many bad reviews and I object to the "better than the PSVR" characterization.

I guess I overstepped, ultimately it depends on whatever the buyer prioritizes. It's still a bargain and worth it to anyone willing to dip their toes into VR, the $199 price point is impulse purchase territory.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Oh right I came here to post about Fallout 4 (my controllers are charging).

It's the buggiest game I ever purchased for "full" price. This is on a level of quality similar to a really well made VR user mod using some kind of code injection, though I'd imagine someone that dedicated would have seen fit to make some changes to how user interactions work, or at least try to keep them consistent. Any time you go into a menu, any sense of presence disappears. Sniping is broken as scopes don't work, I play Fallout with a scope a lot, I'm always using the drat thing and the inability to get a closer look (binoculars aren't even in the base game) is very frustrating. The low resolution doesn't help either, making it difficult to aim with ironsights and the lack of two handed weapon holding removes the extra stability (and immersion) that two hands provide.

Performance is terrible, the temporal AA filter they're using isn't optimized for VR and has obvious ghosting artifacts though it does do a good job at preventing any aliasing. The game would have benefited greatly from some kind of foveated rendering, I'd happily trade less detail in the periphery for some clarity at the center of vision. Since it's still the same deferred renderer from the flat screen version, resolution tanks the framerate fast, my 1080 is in very frequent reprojection even at 1x. Increasing it to 2 (or even 1.5) is a massive improvement in visual clarity and highlights that the VR HMDs are up to the task of displaying a game like this, it's the game engine holding it back. I guess I have to save up for whatever graphics card can run this poo poo.

Because I can't stop playing it anyway.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
I'm kinda in the same boat. I decided to give the beta update + post intro stuff a chance before refunding, and ended up playing past the 2 hour refund window. :v: It's got some serious problems, but I'm hooked regardless.

Also I found a new critical bug: Dogmeat doesn't react when you boop him.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

For anyone having issues with the visuals in FO4 I'd switch over to the beta and then install Vivid fallout. That seems to have improved things a lot. I'll probably play around with upping the SS level this afternoo. https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/25714/

A lot of mods seem to work fine. There is an ongoing list being put together over at the FO4 subreddit. I'm trying different combos out here so this list isn't final and a lot of others work even if they aren't listed here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4vr/comments/7jciyv/fallout_4_vr_comprehensive_mod_list_looking_for/

The intro does suck, but once you get rolling it gets good fast. I tried using power armor but the Hud is annoying as gently caress, so I'm just rolling with upgraded leather. I also decided to do a melee build this time. The sprint everywhere mod works so I'm just running full tilt at people bashing their heads in with a baseball bat covered in straight razors. Even the smallest hostile encounters that would put me to sleep in the regular game are loving amazing in VR.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I have all the same issues with Fallout but it doesn't matter. The combat is SOOOO much more fun in VR. Corner peeking with your pistol like solid snake as raiders approach and the switching to VATS and point-blank blasting the first one to come around the corner in the head with your sawn off is a transcendent experience.

Just did the Trinity Tower quest before bed and man was that ever a blast. The towers in this game are really fun, can't wait to get up in the Prydwn.

I have noticed that it's a bit easier overall in VR. Not sure if it's because of my build or what. I went basically 9s in Agil, Per, and Int, for lots of VATS and weapons modding. I barely used VATS in pancake but here it's my bread and butter. I'm not bad with the ironsights but they're not ideal beyond like 20 m.

edit: I would kill for a mod that let you switch weapons while in VATS or slowed down time when switching weapons like in DOOM

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

SwissCM posted:

Sniping is broken as scopes don't work, I play Fallout with a scope a lot, I'm always using the drat thing and the inability to get a closer look (binoculars aren't even in the base game) is very frustrating. The low resolution doesn't help either, making it difficult to aim with ironsights and the lack of two handed weapon holding removes the extra stability (and immersion) that two hands provide.

Thx for the heads up... bush league

The Walrus posted:

I have all the same issues with Fallout but it doesn't matter. The combat is SOOOO much more fun in VR. Corner peeking with your pistol like solid snake as raiders approach and the switching to VATS and point-blank blasting the first one to come around the corner in the head with your sawn off is a transcendent experience.

That does seem legit, though. I loved Police 911 in the arcades.

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 13, 2017

Mr. Podunkian
Feb 28, 2005

welcome to murder city, i'm the mayor
In case anyone runs into the same problem as me messing around with the DLC content in Fallout 4 VR -- the Thirst Zapper instantly crashes the game, which prevents you from getting past the Gauntlet (which, incidentally, also prevents you from returning to the Commonwealth).

In the interest of not having to roll back the save to undo all of the tedious work it took to get to the boss, I tried copying my FO4VR save into the base game's save folder, and lo and behind, the thing loaded up just fine (though there were a few visual glitches, like the FOV for the first person view weapons and stuff being super zoomed out). After bringing the boss down in the base game, I was able to transfer my save back to the VR version to let me progress through that intro quest and get back to the Commonwealth (there're a few visual glitches that prevent the ground from rendering in the Nuka World area that made me want to hang off on running through it).

Pretty cool though -- this probably means that bringing saves from the non-VR version of the game will probably "just work" in the VR version, but I haven't tested it out myself.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Baidu put a virtual assistant named Vivi in their VR home, sounds like it was a bad idea

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/13/16773514/baidu-iqiyi-vivi-vr-virtual-girlfriend-assistant-pulled

quote:

users also praised its ability to flirt and “perform sexy dances,”

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I refunded FO4 but saw a tentative first stab at fixing Touch here if someone wants to give it a go.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

FuzzySlippers posted:

I refunded FO4 but saw a tentative first stab at fixing Touch here if someone wants to give it a go.

Looks like its "Much better" but not totally fixed. Awesome. I REALLY want to finish Fallout 4.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

After turning the super sampling down to 1 it was fine (r9 390 so not super amazing but looked pretty good). I got the studder in a couple of places in the beginning, where the Vault-tec salesman showed up and when you leave the vault and the door is opening for the first time. I'm guessing Bethesda scripting bullshit.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I think i'll take a look at FO4 in a few months, see what mod creators have fixed by then. Waiting long enough, don't mind waiting until its in an appropriate state.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Looks like when I run 1.5+ Supersampling on a GTX 970, even on simple programs like Virtual Desktop, my GPU has issues and switches off. Seems to be either overheating or power related. Both my screens (Oculus and main monitor) go black at the same time - no bsod though. Yesterday on rebooting the machine I got a "please connect this GPU to its power connectors" and I've noticed it was unusually warm even if the computer itself had been on for just a few minutes. The weird thing is also that I don't get any "performance issues" and I have 80-90% overhead according to the on screen diag tool. If I stick to no Supersampling, it's fine.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

That Italian Guy posted:

Looks like when I run 1.5+ Supersampling on a GTX 970, even on simple programs like Virtual Desktop, my GPU has issues and switches off. Seems to be either overheating or power related. Both my screens (Oculus and main monitor) go black at the same time - no bsod though. Yesterday on rebooting the machine I got a "please connect this GPU to its power connectors" and I've noticed it was unusually warm even if the computer itself had been on for just a few minutes. The weird thing is also that I don't get any "performance issues" and I have 80-90% overhead according to the on screen diag tool. If I stick to no Supersampling, it's fine.

The power connectors might just be loose. If they get too hot they could be unseating untill they cool down and fall back into place. Something like that (only with the cheap solder and the chips on the mother board) was what caused the Xbox 360 to red ring.

If you haven't already open up the case and make sure everything's firmly seated. And it wouldn't hurt to take a can of air to the inside while you're in there.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Yeah, I've double checked and everything seems in order. The connectors seem firmly plugged in, nothing wobbles, even when it was very warm...that's why I was thinking there may be not enough juice to run everything instead, when taxing the GPU. I have a 650W power supply unit cause I originally had a GTX 570, and surprisingly the 970 has a lower wattage requirement; not sure if the 5 port PCI-E USB3.0 card and the Oculus hardware can push this over the top.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Played Fallout 4 VR for about an hour yesterday. I ran in to a UI problem of not being able to enter my character's name. I ended up loading a save from the base game. The dead zone issue was a huge problem. Clicking in the thumb sticks dozens of times to pick things up was really annoying.

The deathclaw fight was hilarious in VR. I just hung my arm over a rail and gunned it down in complete safety.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The Talos Principle is half off on steam, so $20. That was fast.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Bhodi posted:

It's under $10 on Humble Store :ssh:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

kloa posted:

sold!

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

kloa posted:

That's not the VR one

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

kloa posted:

BMan posted:

That's not the VR one

A tragedy in three acts

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
:smith:

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Fallout 4 is so drat fun. Last night I went through Corvega literally on my hands and knees, stealth headshotting the entire place one by one. I would pay money for a video of how foolish I looked IRL for that hour. I'm gonna be playing this one for years.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

The Walrus posted:

Fallout 4 is so drat fun. Last night I went through Corvega literally on my hands and knees, stealth headshotting the entire place one by one. I would pay money for a video of how foolish I looked IRL for that hour. I'm gonna be playing this one for years.
Being able to throw grenades/molotovs at weird angles and over the railings is just amazing.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Not sure if anyone's mentioned this yet for Rift users, but a dude over at Reddit has something that helps with the deadzone issue and the joystick inputs in FO4VR. Lots of people are reporting it makes the game way more playable. Not perfect, but not a shitshow at the least.

I've been sitting on the fence about buying it but I figure it might be worth a try. My jank tolerance levels are probably way above average compared to most people, but I'll just refund it if it's just too janky even for me.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I've already played a good 500 hours of Fo4 flat screen so I'm going to wait a month or so to see how the whole thing stabilizes. If I can jump straight in with working controls, all DLC, and Horizon, Survival custom difficulty etc. then that's the ideal for me.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Bhodi posted:

This is a must-buy. I don't even like puzzle games! Loved the flat version, pretty stoked to play through the (included) DLC in VR. It's only $5 more than the DLC would have been, after all.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Bhodi posted:

Couldn't get it to run properly. Screen tears all over the place on a 1060 6gb 6600k. Anyone had better luck?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I picked up one of those $200 Lenovo Explorers and while I am enjoying it greatly thus far I'm having trouble getting SteamVR integration to work.

I'm on the latest Fall Creator's Update of Windows 10, I have SteamVR and the Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR tool installed, but SteamVR simply won't start - anyone have any ideas where to start? I've hosed with drivers, uninstalled and reinstalled SteamVR, switched to the beta channel, and nothing. It doesn't open the SteamVR window and nothing changes on the headset display. I can launch the SteamVR titles by themselves but they open on my monitor and don't give a poo poo about the VR.

Arizona Sunshine, which I bought through the Microsoft Store, is some good zombie shooting fun, though. gently caress it gets uncomfortable when the zombies get close.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Alan Is More Upset posted:

The deathclaw fight was hilarious in VR. I just hung my arm over a rail and gunned it down in complete safety.

This has been a recurring theme when titles built for traditional shooter mechanics get ported in to hand-tracking VR. The ability to reach your gun around things makes it really easy to cheese the hell out of the AI.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

wolrah posted:

This has been a recurring theme when titles built for traditional shooter mechanics get ported in to hand-tracking VR. The ability to reach your gun around things makes it really easy to cheese the hell out of the AI.

It goes to show how braindead shooting game AI is in the first place. All the Call of Duty / Wolfenstein campaigns on hard mode are literally just peekaboo behind cover.

That's why Serious Sam makes the transition so much better, it's based around 360-degree Smash TV stuff instead of cover-shooting.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
How does melee blocking work in Fo4 VR right now?

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!
So I went into Concord, stuck my shotgun through a hole in the stairwell wall and thought I was hot poo poo Syrian Sniper, and then a Raider in power armor put a Fatman through said hole.

For all it's flaws I'm actually having a lot of fun in FO4VR. Fix Scopes and godawful pipboy controls and I could get lost in there.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Klisejo posted:

Fix Scopes and godawful pipboy controls and I could get lost in there.

There's already a mod that fixes the scope (makes it display all the time).

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
FYI Onward is 40% off right now until 12/19/17 ($14.99). This is the lowest price it's been yet. I'm guessing it will likely be back at the price for the winter sale which will start just a couple days after it goes back to full price. Before today it's be $19.99 3 times for a short time period.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Seashell Salesman posted:

How does melee blocking work in Fo4 VR right now?

you can't really block like sword on sword kind of a thing, you put your fists up to your face like you're defending in a boxing match and that blocks it.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

The Walrus posted:

you can't really block like sword on sword kind of a thing, you put your fists up to your face like you're defending in a boxing match and that blocks it.

That sounds really lame :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Do the Microsoft VR headsets have trouble with using a large TV as a display instead of a monitor? I feel like I have a lot less room than when using the PSVR and the setup required me pointing at the TV when setting boundaries.