Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Ripoff posted:

I think voting by mail is a wonderful thing and the only realistic method of allowing everyone to vote. No offense, but a voting holiday is an absolute no-go in our hosed-up Puritan society and is nothing more than a pipe dream. Hell, we’re struggling now to recognize Thanksgiving, our one true national holiday, as a day when everyone deserves the day off. I give it 5-10 years before companies start asking employees to take it as a “personal holiday”.

That said, I do agree that voting by mail could have a few major problems, and the one I fear the most is the very likely situation where mail collection boxes in Black, Hispanic, or otherwise left-leaning neighborhoods are constantly vandalized or had their contents stolen and destroyed regularly during the voting periods. The Republicans try their damnedest to suppress voting, it wouldn’t surprise me if some PACs pay off criminals to throw hot coals down mail collection boxes.

Right now places where you can drop off your ballot are watched and monitored in Colorado. Any tampering with them is a very, very serious crime that will get the election commission on your rear end. Also, the containers are really only shaped so that ballots will fit through. you are not going to be able to fit a coal through them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Alter Ego posted:

loving christ. I hope she gets piled on for this by everyone--her colleagues, everyone. gently caress this mindset. How could a woman think this?

Shes 71. Probably a good part of it.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

ALL HAIL THE NEEDLE

farraday posted:

That would explain it, but it still doesn't excuse it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Could they also make election day a national holiday? I think that would be a good idea. Require states to start mandatory vote by mail?

Election day a national holiday and pressure states to allow vote by mail or for there to be multiple days to vote in person (or both). Reenact the VRA with preclearance nationwide.

Basically everything possible to drive up voter turnout.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lock her up

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Maybe "71-year old lady" is the thing, rather than Ohio?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

So the party is going to start pushing to improve their access to voting and make it easier to vote at every level right?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

ecureuilmatrix posted:

Porque no los dos?

EDIT: Gloria Steinem is in her 80s for gently caress sake, no woman gets to use their age to justify why they're carrying water for the patriarchy, because people are capable of learning and changing.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

farraday posted:

loving boomers just die already.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Did anyone ever figure out what Omarosa was doing in the White House? I remember reading articles where the reporters couldn't determine what role she was actually playing, if any.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

IMO her bullshit cost Kwame a win he should have walked away with. Trump being all "why didn't you fire her?" in the finale when there was no previous indication whatsoever that he had firing power was also some bullshit.

This piece on her from Daily Beast was an odd read, for anyone who missed it: https://www.thedailybeast.com/no-one-knows-what-omarosa-is-doing-in-the-white-houseeven-omarosa

OMG YES!

I was rooting for Kwame! He also publicly denounced the orange gremlin, so he's a good guy.

I've always wondered if the rumored "friend of the family tape" was about him.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

How many Detroit/Metro goons we got in here anyway?

West coast here, FWIW. You need any Dutch-reject evangelicals? I'd gladly ship a few truckloads across the state for you.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ReidRansom posted:

Here's some more on the Omarosa thing

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/941010292846288897

Sounds like they were poo poo talking black folk in front of her face for some time and she finally got fed up. Took her long enough?

alternatively, this is her or one of her surrogates putting out bullshit to make her look good instead of that she got fired for being a conspiracy touting loon

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

ecureuilmatrix posted:

No, this thread loving hates Ohio.

and cincinnati

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

ecureuilmatrix posted:

Nah it's definitely the Ohio part.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I hadn't checked 538 aggregate polling in a while. However, Monmouth is so trusted that there's no adjustment. 32% approval rating is 32% approval rating. There only tends to be a slight bias for disapproval which is actually higher so 56% disapproval is actually 58% disapproval rating.

Trump is at his lowest ebb both in the current poll and in aggregate with 36.6% approval rating and 56.8% disapproval rating. Only 6.6% of Americans are undecided or have no opinion. We're closing in on territory where Trump's approval rating could fall below one in three Americans.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

ecureuilmatrix posted:

Have you ever been to Ohio? it's backwards as gently caress

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

evilweasel posted:

she got fired for being a conspiracy touting loon

Like that's a problem in this White House.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

evilweasel posted:

alternatively, this is her or one of her surrogates putting out bullshit to make her look good instead of that she got fired for being a conspiracy touting loon

Yeah I don't buy it. Trump has spent his entire career making GBS threads on black people; if Omarosa was truly capable of shame, she never would have joined the administration. Kelly fired her for gaslighting Trump.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm from Ohio. There are parts that don't suck.

But Kasich is a popular governor, and that should tell you what you need to know about the state as a whole.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

When Omarosa was on the apprentice I had a huge crush on her

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I totally believe that Kirsten Gillibrand will get into a fist fight with Donald Trump during the 2020 campaign and it will own. Lady is fierce

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Grapplejack posted:

Mandatory vote by mail is lame but I'd like to see more early voting and election day being a national holiday. Voting is cool and good, everyone should be able to enjoy participating in democracy. :sun:

It isn't lame in the slightest. Here in WA you get like two weeks with your ballot and the voter's guide and you can sit down whenever, spend as much time as you want and send it in when you're ready.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Thanks I'll just go ahead and add that to your file.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

farraday posted:

Yeah there is massive differences in the way older generations consider sexual harassment.

A great example to try with your friends and family: "Is a man looking at a women's cleavage at work sexual harassment?"

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

evilweasel posted:

That's the theory you're going with, eh?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Carlosologist posted:

I totally believe that Kirsten Gillibrand will get into a fist fight with Donald Trump during the 2020 campaign and it will own. Lady is fierce

She might lose her hand in his chin flaps. Totes worth it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah there is massive differences in the way older generations consider sexual harassment.

A great example to try with your friends and family: "Is a man looking at a women's cleavage at work sexual harassment?"

My family: (probably)

"...
Did she see him looking?"

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Harrow posted:

I'm from Ohio. There are parts that don't suck.

But Kasich is a popular governor, and that should tell you what you need to know about the state as a whole.

All right, my dad has soured on republicans lately as a moderate, but he's all about Kasich as being a "sane republican". So dish. As someone living in Ohio what's wrong/right with him?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

TheScott2K posted:

That's the theory you're going with, eh?

I'm willing to believe both. Kelly got her fired because he thought she was a conspiracy peddling loon. But the excuse that Trump believes she was fired for was an outburst related to racism.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Koalas March posted:

When she was first on the Apprentice, yeah

Really? She was like a walking embodiment of every negative stereotype parroted by white people where I grew up about black women.

Maybe I’m just not a reality tv kind of person.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Do you get taken advantage of a lot?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Gaghskull posted:

Right now places where you can drop off your ballot are watched and monitored in Colorado. Any tampering with them is a very, very serious crime that will get the election commission on your rear end. Also, the containers are really only shaped so that ballots will fit through. you are not going to be able to fit a coal through them.

Well that’s awesome and a lot better than what I had thought. We have absentee ballots here, and I had assumed that the vote by mail stuff worked the same way (where you literally just fill out the ballot and drop it in the big blue boxes that old people’s bill payments go into :haw:). This seems like a much more robust solution, now just to lobby the folks in GA to go for it.

Hahahaha who the gently caress am I kidding? :(

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

"How can I believe that all are created equal when there stands before me, stinking, the moral carcass of the lady from the state of Ohio. A creature so vile and low to the ground that I could not break it's back were I to step on it!"

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
Didn't Cleveland hire that Mesa, AZ cop who is terrified of defenseless/pleading young men who are doing their best to follow directions?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm willing to believe both. Kelly got her fired because he thought she was a conspiracy peddling loon. But the excuse that Trump believes she was fired for was an outburst related to racism.

Kelly is a conspiracy touting loon too.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Ice Phisherman posted:

All right, my dad has soured on republicans lately as a moderate, but he's all about Kasich as being a "sane republican". So dish. As someone living in Ohio what's wrong/right with him?

He's Mike Pence with charisma.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Trabisnikof posted:

That seems like a question that has enough wiggle room that everyone is going to nitpick. (even if they know the correct answer)

Maybe I just have a really pedantic set of friends :goonsay:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Trabisnikof posted:

If you ever go people watching for people watchers it is absolutely insane the amount of death stare old white dudes will throw at a woman wearing anything remotely revealing. Like jesus loving christ these guys are the ones that pretend to care about manners and civility and neighborliness?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

ecureuilmatrix posted:

Nah Ohio is terrible.

There's a few great jokes about how a lot of astronuts are from Ohio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Koalas March posted:

Have you ever been to Ohio? it's backwards as gently caress

I went to a mall in Columbus when visiting relatives. Let me tell you it frightened me that in the whole 2 hours I was walking around that mall shopping/standing in lines/eating, I saw ONE black family.

For a person who grew up in Dekalb County, it was eerie as gently caress.

• Locked thread