Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Rekinom posted:

Congrats, man. Any idea who's next? According to my e-mails, the Spirit guys are going through some issues.

Pretty sure envoy is going to take a swing at it. The contract is good for a few years but if all the new hires suddenly start going to Edeavor the company will probably play ball. Of course with things being the way they are who knows what's going to happen.

In the meantime congrats to Endeavor. You guys deserve it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

LOL at regional FO’s making more than a widebody FO in certain airlines who sue their pilot group so they can stall and delay contract negotiations

I had my first “bad” landing in a 767, firm enough that two oxygen masks dropped. It was a complete surprise as speed and flare were on point and I have only had awesome ego boosting landings for the past two years. But going into the NAP airport is a steep approach into a sloping runway, with a heavy jet downward momentum is a bitch. Next time I fly there I’ll add an extra 5kts to VRef and shallow it out before the flare.

Animal fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Nov 24, 2017

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

Animal posted:

LOL at regional FO’s making more than a widebody FO in certain airlines who sue their pilot group so they can stall and delay contract negotiations

I had my first “bad” landing in a 767, firm enough that two oxygen masks dropped. It was a complete surprise as speed and flare were on point and I have only had awesome ego boosting landings for the past two years. But going into the NAP airport is a steep approach into a sloping runway, with a heavy jet downward momentum is a bitch. Next time I fly there I’ll add an extra 5kts to VRef and shallow it out before the flare.

Examiners note: Only 2 masks dropped. Poor effort. Must try harder.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

what sort of plane is this?

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

Scratch Monkey posted:

Big enough...

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

Scratch Monkey posted:

Legendary

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

Huh.

https://twitter.com/SweeneyABC/status/935942616167960576

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
12 days ago-

a patagonian cavy posted:

+1 instrument pilot as of today. I hope no checkride is ever that stressful again.

Passed my commercial checkride today. It was, indeed, much less stressful than my IFR checkride.

And for AWSEFT: I'm based at KPMP. I get to see this:

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 20, 2019

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

[quote="E4C85D38" post="478843981"]
Huh.

The Ryanair excuse I see...
I was off on a weeks annual leave last week. First day back the captain fucks up the report time and is an hour late. Set everything up just have him jump on board and by some miracle we push nearly on time. Door light goes off on the overhead on the takeoff roll so we reject just after 80 knots and taxy in, it gets "fixed" and off we go. The loving thing goes off again on finals at the destination and I get to land in an 18 knot crosswind in blowing snow worrying about that.
Two days later working with a different guy he has a low low go around because we hit wake turbulence. I'm sure it wasn't but it felt like we were pushed practically over the grass.
Nice welcome back to work!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Holy poo poo I’m an ATP with a CRJ type now :stare:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

e.pilot posted:

You are the man! I love how the people in this thread are growing and showing progress as the years go by.

Not me though. 91 citation life, fudge it :coal:.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rolo posted:

You are the man! I love how the people in this thread are growing and showing progress as the years go by.

Not me though. 91 citation life, fudge it :coal:.

If the pay is good why not.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 6, 2017

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

e.pilot posted:

Just passed my captain upgrade sim ride yesterday for the CRJ, so :hfive:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Butt Reactor posted:

Just passed my captain upgrade sim ride yesterday for the CRJ, so :hfive:

OO?

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

Well, let's say I'm part of the 44% or whatever that voted "No" to a 1% pay raise ;)

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

A flight school's turboprop crashed on approach to SFB. Sounds like it's Delta Connection Academy (whatever they're called now)'s King Air 90 they used for Chinese students to get turbo time:

http://www.wesh.com/article/authorities-investigating-reports-of-plane-crash-on-lake-harney/14391075

E- poo poo. Two of my friends flew with the instructor years ago. :(

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 9, 2017

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Here's an instrument approach procedure question (again).

If an IAP has been NOTAM'd "NA," like this VOR approach, why do they still publish plate updates for it?

!FDC 7/5759 VGC IAP HAMILTON MUNI, Hamilton, NY. VOR-A, AMDT 4A... PROCEDURE NA. 1708191116-1803311116EST

http://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/1713/05788va.pdf#nameddest=(VGC)

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
1708191116-1803311116EST

There's a end time to the NOTAM so unless they extended it the approach will be valid again next April. Based on this NOTAM it looks like the VOR is currently out of service. They may authorize the approach again once it's fixed. !BUF 11/183 GGT NAV TACAN AZM OUT OF SERVICE 1711291527-1712152000EST

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm guessing it's also partially bureaucratic in nature, i.e. if you remove a published approach entirely it's a pain in the rear end to add it again if you ever want to or need to.

I know the non-GNSS approaches into CYCG were NOTAM'd unavailable for months, maybe even years, before finally being removed a few months ago. It's a shame because, while they were comically awful compared to the now-available GNSS approach (which is, itself, still extremely dodgy), they were good for training purposes in the sim because where else are you going to have to understand and brief an NDB/LOC/DME-to-circling approach?

EDIT: I misremembered, it was LOC/NDB/NDB or LOC/DME. Still a bit tricky compared to the average non-precision approach.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 11, 2017

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
There’s an NDB ILS going in to KRYN that’s one of my favorites on the sim.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

e.pilot posted:

There’s an NDB ILS going in to KRYN that’s one of my favorites on the sim.

like... you maintain an NDB course and there’s also a glide slope?

E: why did they not feel like putting the NDB on the ILS course???? The holding fix is like half a mile away from it!

a patagonian cavy fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 12, 2017

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Holy poo poo, gently caress that approach, seriously.

ADF Required? What is this, the 1950's?

edit: gently caress that airport. The GPS isn't much better. VFR airport only.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Or how about a DME arc to an inbound NDB course? :v:

http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1713/06513NDG6R.PDF

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Probably because the NDB predated the ILS course.

That aside, if it was important enough they could have offset the ILS course up to 3 degrees (or more if they renamed it to LDA/GS) but that would make no difference to how you fly the approach. It's "fly the NDB course till you cross the lead radial off TUS, then start intercepting the localizer" and whether you ever reach the NDB wouldn't effect that.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Jesus, I guess it's just what I'm used to, but NavCanada plates are way easier to understand than FAA plates.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

i am kiss u now posted:

Holy poo poo, gently caress that approach, seriously.

ADF Required? What is this, the 1950's?

edit: gently caress that airport. The GPS isn't much better. VFR airport only.

I agree that "VFR only" is the easiest solution to this problem.

e.pilot posted:

Or how about a DME arc to an inbound NDB course? :v:

http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1713/06513NDG6R.PDF

This seems like an airport a CFII or, more likely, FAA Examiner sends you to when he really wants to be a dick on a lesson/checkride.

I wonder if controllers find ways to vector pilots to make it as painless as possible, though I guess the IAF is necessary and just happens to be basically right next to the NDB.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 13, 2017

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

Alaskan airports are kinda cheating in this regard, but how about "Successful go-around improbable if initiated past the MAP". Why is it improbable? Well, the airport is on the side of a mountain look at the difference between THRE and field elevation and you're flying directly at the mountain as your final approach course.

Also there's no MAP specifically marked.

e: bonus- HOPE YOU LIKE DME ARCS!

a patagonian cavy fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 13, 2017

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Holy poo poo a straight in directly off of the arc, that gives me such a CFII boner.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I swear, if I can find the next pilot that calls field in sight, or reports the IF/IAF for an approach, waits for me to puke the incredibly elaborate approach clearance/radar service termination/closure of flight plan/frequency change phraseology all over my frequency, and then IMMEDIATELY requests to cancel IFR, I’m going to hunt him down and piss in his mouth.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

a patagonian cavy posted:

Alaskan airports are kinda cheating in this regard, but how about "Successful go-around improbable if initiated past the MAP". Why is it improbable? Well, the airport is on the side of a mountain look at the difference between THRE and field elevation and you're flying directly at the mountain as your final approach course.

Also there's no MAP specifically marked.

e: bonus- HOPE YOU LIKE DME ARCS!

“MILITARY CERTIFIED AIRCREWS OR AUTHORIZED CONTRACT AIRCRAFT ONLY” is cheating.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
NYC Pilots: does your pay reflect the insane cost of living there? I’ve been in the area for a few days and have always loved the idea of moving to New York City.

How unreal would it be for a 2000 total 1500 jet 500 jet PIC pilot to actually be able to live there and not die a poor husk?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Rolo posted:

NYC Pilots: does your pay reflect the insane cost of living there? I’ve been in the area for a few days and have always loved the idea of moving to New York City.

How unreal would it be for a 2000 total 1500 jet 500 jet PIC pilot to actually be able to live there and not die a poor husk?

Regionals basing pilots in New York sounds like cruel and unusual punishment.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

Rolo posted:

It doesn't matter where you live, pay is the same. You'll benefit in increased relative seniority because NYC is not a desirable place for pilots to be based. Many senior pilot choose to be based elsewhere. That means better schedules and quicker upgrades than at other bases.

Regional pay has changed a lot in the past couple years. You'll make 60k+ at Endeavor your first year.

Just do what everyone else does in New York and get a roommate. Live in Brooklyn or Queens. If you're in your 20's or early 30's you'll have a good time. Plus you'll be easily be able to pick up overtime at 150 or 200 percent basically anytime you want.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Two Kings posted:

It doesn't matter where you live, pay is the same. You'll benefit in increased relative seniority because NYC is not a desirable place for pilots to be based. Many senior pilot choose to be based elsewhere. That means better schedules and quicker upgrades than at other bases.

Regional pay has changed a lot in the past couple years. You'll make 60k+ at Endeavor your first year.

Just do what everyone else does in New York and get a roommate. Live in Brooklyn or Queens. If you're in your 20's or early 30's you'll have a good time. Plus you'll be easily be able to pick up overtime at 150 or 200 percent basically anytime you want.

I’m 30. I’m currently making 55k-ish in a very expensive part of the southeast, a part of the country I’m realizing more and more I don’t want to live in much more than another year or so. I’d happily find a roommate if it meant 60k and the ability to not own a car or pay car insurance.

More than anything, I’m single and don’t have any pets or sentimental furniture.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 13, 2017

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

It’s worth noting that New York has a state income tax, which is a rarity in the south, and New York City also has a municipal income tax. Random internet search shows an additional 8% combined tax hike for a single individual with a $60k gross income. About 5% if you live in the state, but outside of NYC.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

MrYenko posted:

It’s worth noting that New York has a state income tax, which is a rarity in the south, and New York City also has a municipal income tax. Random internet search shows an additional 8% combined tax hike for a single individual with a $60k gross income. About 5% if you live in the state, but outside of NYC.

My idiot state has income tax too, along with high property taxes for my car with fees for inspections and tag.

I’m employed and not looking to move tomorrow or anything, but I’d like to live there a bit before I get too old to enjoy it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Rolo posted:

My idiot state has income tax too, along with high property taxes for my car with fees for inspections and tag.

I’m employed and not looking to move tomorrow or anything, but I’d like to live there a bit before I get too old to enjoy it.

Whaaaaa. That’s not the south, imposter.

I think the line is “Live in New York once, but leave, before it makes you hard.”

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

MrYenko posted:

Whaaaaa. That’s not the south, imposter.

I think the line is “Live in New York once, but leave, before it makes you hard.”

North Carolina, son!

5.75 flat income tax rate, among other obvious North Carolina flaws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Anyone have any strong opinions on living in MIA vs PHL?

I do like Florida's no state income tax... but drat it is pricey.

I like that PHL has the ability to take public transportation to the airport, but I'm leaving the midwest... I'd rather not go straight to the same weather.