Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

M. Propagandalf posted:

Anyone know of any details beyond what's already detailed on VAC's website about the Veterans’ Education and Training Benefit?

Roll out is scheduled in April 2018, and if it goes through, I can't imagine myself not releasing to take up the offer once I hit twelve years (preferably I'd stay on, but unless there's some PRes education reimbursement change on par with the offer, I'd 4C without hesitation).

Holy moly 80 000. In another 18 months I could release and goto school to get a law degree and not be bad off.

But I'd have it at 40 years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

So? You're gonna be 40 anyway.

If eligible, this'd clear off pretty much all of my four-year [online] tuition. Very intrigued.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
You know what? The federal government can go gently caress itself.

They chose 6 years because the longest initial contract a person can sign is 5 years. By going to 6 years they drastically reduce the amount of money they have to give out to existing veterans who left the army after their VIE contract. It's such an obvious cost saving measure so that they can stand on this platform of caring about veterans while paying out the least amount possible.

My service of 5 years and 235 days is worthless apparently, so I'll just shoulder my 20k in OSAP debt I've incurred since releasing because apparently "knows how to camp and use C4" only qualified me to work with lowlifes doing roofing or landscaping, and going to school is really expenive.

This is loving horseshit. I was proud to serve my country, and us not having a GI bill never bothered me, but having this new benefit be so obviously aimed at dodging the majority of veterans is such a loving insult.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Well I finally got my letter from the recruitment medical officer. Yep, passing a kidney stone disqualifies me from re-enrolement. Funny, it didn't say anything about if I'm eligible after being stone-free for five years. I might follow up on that.

I was going to appeal (maybe get a CT scan showing I have no more stones), but I can't imagine it doing any good. I have a family to support, so there's no drat way I'm waiting five more years to re-join. I'm still pretty floored that a loving kidney stone is a dealbreaker, but I'm not the director of medical policy so what the gently caress do I know.

It's time to move on.

I've met one serving person and heard of a couple others who got in after suing under the Canadians with Disabilities Act, so it's possible if you're down for some :effort:

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

I've never seen it written so neatly

Samu posted:

They chose 6 years because the longest initial contract a person can sign is 5 years. By going to 6 years they drastically reduce the amount of money they have to give out to existing veterans who left the army after their VIE contract. It's such an obvious cost saving measure so that they can stand on this platform of caring about veterans while paying out the least amount possible.

My service of 5 years and 235 days is worthless apparently, so I'll just shoulder my 20k in OSAP debt I've incurred since releasing because apparently "knows how to camp and use C4" only qualified me to work with lowlifes doing roofing or landscaping, and going to school is really expenive.

This is loving horseshit. I was proud to serve my country, and us not having a GI bill never bothered me, but having this new benefit be so obviously aimed at dodging the majority of veterans is such a loving insult.

Maybe join the reserves and top yourself up to 6 years because you're so close? Probably worth the 130 days of service to get 40k worth of education.

On a side note: I think the longest VIE is 9 years. Mine was 6 years (only 3 months to go...so close). You're right though that the majority of VIEs aren't more than 5 years.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Well I finally got my letter from the recruitment medical officer. Yep, passing a kidney stone disqualifies me from re-enrolement. Funny, it didn't say anything about if I'm eligible after being stone-free for five years. I might follow up on that.

I was going to appeal (maybe get a CT scan showing I have no more stones), but I can't imagine it doing any good. I have a family to support, so there's no drat way I'm waiting five more years to re-join. I'm still pretty floored that a loving kidney stone is a dealbreaker, but I'm not the director of medical policy so what the gently caress do I know.

It's time to move on.

Kidney stones can be 100% debilitating and require treatment in a hospital. Not being able to predict when or if you'll get one again is the real issue though.

Freeze posted:

Maybe join the reserves and top yourself up to 6 years because you're so close? Probably worth the 130 days of service to get 40k worth of education.

Definitely this.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Definitely don't join the reserves. Then you have to rejoin the fuckin CF.

M. Propagandalf
Aug 9, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

quote:

Q18. Does a reservist qualify for the Veterans’ Education and Training Benefit? If so, how does his time in service add up to six or 12 years?

Reservists will be eligible for the Veterans’ Education and Training Benefit. However, we are still finalizing the specific details for implementation of this benefit and how time served will be calculated. As soon as more information is available, we will share it immediately. Please feel free to reach out again closer to the April 1, 2018 implementation date.

Too soon to tell, but commitment-wise, if it's just showing up for the Wed/Thurs nights to top-up your days, the plan might be feasible? If the final details aren't stringent enough to count the individual Class A days and just go by the fact that you were a member in good-standing, you'd hopefully just need to be in for six months, then wrap it up with a memo about family/work factors and get the 4C.

quote:

Q25. Can I be reimbursed if I already paid for my tuition out of pocket?

Tuition paid prior to April 1, 2018 will not be reimbursed.

Come April 1, 2018, the proposed education or training must be pre-approved by VAC for an upcoming program and then paid directly to the Veteran. The Veteran will then be responsible for paying the tuition at the institution of their choice. The remaining funds are intended to be used to cover other costs including books and costs of living during the term of study.

Sucks this doesn't apply retroactively.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

The government giveth and the government taketh away and taketh away more.

quote:

Relocation benefits will remain the same. However, face-to-face services with an advisor will be replaced with 24 hr online access to your personal file through a computer or an App. This will include everything from your relocation budget to all the important relocation information to help you move. If you can’t find the specific answer you need online, a contact centre will be open weekdays 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Eastern Time.

In addition, members will be given a “cash card” so families will no longer have to pay up-front, out of their own pockets for their approved moving expenses. The new reloadable declining balance ReloCard (a cash card, not a credit card) will provide CAF members and their families with money to cover relocation related expenses for everything from meals and hotels to appraisers and lawyers.

A trusted CAF partner for the past two decades, BGRS (formerly Brookfield Global Relocation Services) will deliver these new services. BGRS have established a new contact centre, where more than 100 experienced staff will guide CAF members and process their expense claims.

The most charitable explanation I've seen is that it's a system designed to fail to give brookfield the upper hand in the next round of contract negotiations when it crashes harder than Dale Earnhardt(:rip:).

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
It would be real nice if I could get all my claims finalized before the drop dead date, but at the rate my adviser is going I'm not optimistic.

ReloCard, jesus...

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

Freeze posted:

On a side note: I think the longest VIE is 9 years. Mine was 6 years (only 3 months to go...so close). You're right though that the majority of VIEs aren't more than 5 years.

Yeah I guess as a disclaimer I can only really speak for my trade. The longest contract I could sign initially was 5 years, and I assumed it was the same across the CF.

I had also had a few and then read that so my argument was probably a bit nonsensical and uninformed.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Do you know if you still have to finish the SISIP education program?

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Nothing happen for nothing

Samu posted:

I think you've already redressed this - but nobody has called you on your whiny little rant - god drat you sound like a bitch.

Thank you for your 5 years and 235 days of service, veteran Samu.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

"The majority of veterans" have fewer than six years of service, hmm?

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Yeah well, I was being a bitch what do you want from me?

Go gently caress yourself.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I also think it's complete bullshit. If you're doing more than 6 years, chances are you're in the CF until you retire. This program was designed so that it would be used as little as possible.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

I also think it's complete bullshit. If you're doing more than 6 years, chances are you're in the CF until you retire. This program was designed so that it would be used as little as possible.

How long are officers in for? Would be weird if it would mainly be used by people already with a degree.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I saw a table of TOS offerings laid out by trades recently, IIRC RCAF officer initial contracts looked like they ranged from 4-13 years. Most of them were 5 years, the high end is skewed by pilots (13) and RMC/ROTP guys (9) where the military pays for that anyways.

I could totally believe that the whole thing was designed to maximize the publicity while minimizing the actual benefit though, I don't imagine most lifers have any desire to knock out a degree for funsies after retirement.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I could see a noble using it for a masters/PHD but that's about it. Def targeted towards plebs, and most don't quality for it.

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Nothing happen for nothing
There are so many scenarios where this benefit will bridge the gap between military education, qualifications and civilian job requirements. There are many people who leave after 6+ years that will take full or partial advantage of this.

This benefit applies to people who voluntarily release as well, so it will probably be used to persuade individuals to sign a CE and provide the CAF with another few good years of work.

I think it benefits both the CAF and the individuals who decide to take advantage of it!

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yea, artillery officers were 6 years iirc and minimum TOS for the proletariat were 3 years followed by a second 3 year contract. I don't know anyone who did 6 years. They either got out at three and hosed right off or are still in.

I absolutely guarantee this program was designed for maximising "we support are troops" and minimising cost.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
My former infantry unit had a mass exodus of 6-12 year releases (myself included) for a few years after returning from Afghanistan. With a 3 year work up it caused many (myself included again) to sign a second contract. Purely anecdotal I know but I still think it's a good thing.

acumen fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 2, 2017

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
tbqh, if I went over to afghanistan I probably would've stayed in longer because we wouldn't have been treated like the help because "you weren't there maaaaaaan". We had three tours pulled on us, which was kinda lovely.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
Any sub guys here that can speak about their time on board?

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I thought the first rule of sub club was that you weren't allowed to talk about sub club.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I just assume that anything Navy is going to involve rum, sodomy, and the lash.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

SuperSix posted:

Like in what sense? I have visited them and hoooooly gently caress, there is absolutely no way I could have dealt with a career there. I can't accurately describe how completely inhospitable they are, by which I mean the sub itself. There's no room for people. You're moving around and between equipment all the time, and I can't recall there being living spaces as such - just bunks and benches wedged wherever. I definitely remember that you wouldn't be able to roll over in some of the bunks.

There is a submariner officer who posts/used to post here, he'd have better detail than my abject, incohate horror at the living conditions.

I was on a course where everyone was to be sent submarines on completion, which as as far as I know the only time they voluntold people to go en masse. I failed the dive chamber test, one of the guys who made it had coffin dreams and is still hosed up, another never sailed. Of the 10 or so of us, only one guy made it as a career submariner.

Maybe it's a good go if you are a good fit. I'm not. Visit one first if at all possible.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012

compressioncut posted:

Like in what sense? I have visited them and hoooooly gently caress, there is absolutely no way I could have dealt with a career there. I can't accurately describe how completely inhospitable they are, by which I mean the sub itself. There's no room for people. You're moving around and between equipment all the time, and I can't recall there being living spaces as such - just bunks and benches wedged wherever. I definitely remember that you wouldn't be able to roll over in some of the bunks.

There is a submariner officer who posts/used to post here, he'd have better detail than my abject, incohate horror at the living conditions.

I was on a course where everyone was to be sent submarines on completion, which as as far as I know the only time they voluntold people to go en masse. I failed the dive chamber test, one of the guys who made it had coffin dreams and is still hosed up, another never sailed. Of the 10 or so of us, only one guy made it as a career submariner.

Maybe it's a good go if you are a good fit. I'm not. Visit one first if at all possible.

Yea, that was generally what I was going to ask about. They're asking if anyone is interested in my trade. Gonna tour one of them soon so it might smash any inkling I have to go subs if I have the chance.

Edit: Man having to laser your poop is not ideal. The flats and messes weren't as small as I was imagining them to be though.

SuperSix fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Nov 28, 2017

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I keep getting extended.

Pros: Finish University before SISIP, do masters on SISIP, pay, ranger blanket

Cons: I am still in the Army, have gone to three SCAN seminars now, have turned down job offers that were set for my set release date.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I miss my ranger blanket

should never have given that bitch up.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Do they have civie ones at MEC or something? I guess they wouldn’t be called poncho liners eh?

Anyways, someone saw my resume on Helmets to Hardhats and offered a Union Carpentry apprenticeship in Toronto. It blew me away I didn’t think HtH was that good of a program.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I was looking for a new one at a surplus store but they're not ~*authentic*~ US ARMY GI ISSUE also pretty fuckin' pricey

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I got 4 at an army/navy surplus store in Mount Pearl. They've closed down now otherwise I'd try to hook a brother up. They were pretty cheap too, 20 bucks iirc.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

MA-Horus posted:

I miss my ranger blanket

should never have given that bitch up.

gently caress, same here. And I kind of miss the sleeping bag system; that poo poo was handy for camping trips.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

SuperSix posted:

Hello. I am a currently serving Submarine Officer with 7+ years in boats. Happy to answer any questions you may have as long as its releasable. Either here or in PMs.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Happy New Year!

I was supposed to get out this month but was extended again. :confuoot:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

as our good friends the Americans say;

"gently caress you if you're still in".

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
How are they forcing you to stay in?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

How are they forcing you to stay in?

BPSO insists it’s the only way to get funding for Voc Rehab. Their position is my plan would take 16 months, and SISIP only covers 12, so I have to make up the difference in time served.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

What's the over/under for DND opening up Moss Park armories for the homeless