Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

My character is now more or less where I want it. There are plenty of gear optimizations to go, but I've made it in a way that I think utilizes all the things I think people aren't taking full advantage right now. Character is here: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Ultima66/characters?characterName=CallOfWarez

Remaining Improvements I want to do:
- Actual life and resist stats on some of these pieces.
- 6L staff
- Volatile Dead enchant
- 6l Carcass Jack or 1.5% base spell crit Shaper rare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
So in normal leagues I just buy a corrupted rare 6L after a while since my budget rarely goes above 50c, and I have bought the 5l prophesy a few times. This league, I found a belly and I am trying to 6S my ngammahu's flame so I thought, I always just hoard then sell these jewelers let's give it a go.

150 jewelers to 5s the ngamahu's and I'm around 250 in on the belly with no 5 slots at all :psyduck: . How do people live with this kind of variance it's nauseating.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Normally, by waiting until I have way more jewellers than I need

Fusings are a different story, I've learned to fight through the tears and open some more maps

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I usually have really good luck 6 socketing an item but I don't think I've ever managed to 5 link an item without the prophecy

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Do people still use MercuryTrade or has something else come to supplant it in the last while?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

StoryTime posted:

I'm curious, why did you keep playing then?

I know I kept playing this game before any of these QoL tabs were a thing.

Game's good, despite my complaint of the gem system [the main argument is that it takes refunds/regrets if you want to respec, not to mention gear and new gems, unlike diablo 2 giving you 3 chances to reset with no questions asked]

Also because Diablo 3 is really really REALLY boring.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Dizz posted:

Game's good, despite my complaint of the gem system [the main argument is that it takes refunds/regrets if you want to respec, not to mention gear and new gems, unlike diablo 2 giving you 3 chances to reset with no questions asked]

Also because Diablo 3 is really really REALLY boring.

d2 only got respecs with its expansion, I will note, before that it was none whatsoever.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

silvergoose posted:

d2 only got respecs with its expansion, I will note, before that it was none whatsoever.

Oh ho ho my friend! D2 did not get respecs with the xpac, but instead got them in 1.13, which was released just nine years after LoD came out! D2 had (and still has) some really archaic poo poo from a era gone by.

Dizz posted:

Game's good, despite my complaint of the gem system [the main argument is that it takes refunds/regrets if you want to respec...]

If you could respec for free, even if it's only in town, it would allow for some questionable poo poo. For example, if you have Whispers of Doom but running a map with Hexproof, then reclaiming those 3 - 6 points for that one map becomes optimal. Pivoting into things like Diamond Skin (or one of the other two dozen ele resist nodes) to accommodate for elemental weakness becomes an option. Opting into curse effectiveness for certain maps, bosses, or conditions becomes attractive at times. These are all things I can think of off the top of my head.

The micromanagement that becomes available to players reaches a level of 'tedious' that I don't even want to see realized. If you put a significant enough cost on a respec, then it defeats that kind of behavior at the source. As for one or two complete respecs that just get baked into a character... There are some considerations to that. There is a build I want to do that would benefit greatly from such a change, but the implications of such an idea are non-trivial.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 13, 2017

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008
Re: stash tabs auto sorting stuff

The biggest change I made for mapping efficiency is to start using 2 "dump" tabs to just jam all the loot in, then go back when they are full to sort through everything. It lets you get to the next map faster, and is much more efficient to sort through larger chunks of items at once.

ImsaKidd fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 13, 2017

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Oh ho ho my friend! D2 did not get respecs with the xpac, but instead got them in 1.13, which was released just nine years after LoD came out! D2 had (and still has) some really archaic poo poo from a era gone by.

If you could respec for free, even if it's only in town, it would allow for some questionable poo poo. For example, if you have Whispers of Doom but running a map with Hexproof, then reclaiming those 3 - 6 points for that one map becomes optimal. Pivoting into things like Diamond Skin (or one of the other two dozen ele resist nodes) to accommodate for elemental weakness becomes an option. Opting into curse effectiveness for certain maps, bosses, or conditions becomes attractive at time.

The micromanagement that becomes available to players reaches a level of 'tedious' that I don't even want to see realized. If you put a significant enough cost on a respec, then it defeats that kind of behavior at the source. As for one or two complete respecs that just get baked into a character... There are some considerations to that. There is a build I want to do that would benefit greatly from such a change, but the implications of such an idea are non-trivial.

Oh yeah been so long.

You're right of course. What I meant, though, was "d2 was not a game designed around having full respecs, and neither was PoE".

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006
I started this league a little late, just got to act 5 on my first character and an exalt dropped. That seems pretty early, is the drop rate better now or is it just freak rng? I got a mirror shard early in maps on my first harbinger character and it skewed my expectations bad.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Just RNGesus smiling on you...for now

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

ubachung posted:

I started this league a little late, just got to act 5 on my first character and an exalt dropped. That seems pretty early, is the drop rate better now or is it just freak rng? I got a mirror shard early in maps on my first harbinger character and it skewed my expectations bad.

Yeah I got one at level 46 when I had all of 2c to my name. I hope your luck continues.

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

150 jewelers to 5s the ngamahu's and I'm around 250 in on the belly with no 5 slots at all :psyduck: . How do people live with this kind of variance it's nauseating.

In mayhem it took me ~1100 jewellers to 6s my chest. :11tea:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

with all the new maps i should probably stop my ocd habit of not doing a map tier until i have one of each map dropped

Hauki
May 11, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

with all the new maps i should probably stop my ocd habit of not doing a map tier until i have one of each map dropped

Uh, what? That sounds miserable and an excellent way to totally handicap yourself.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

StashAugustine posted:

Don't do this.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Does Jeweller's Touch turn Shroud of the Lightless into a 5L with the abyssal socket as the sixth? Or does it become a 4L?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

silvergoose posted:

Fair point, but friends allowed you to quickly get back to fast levelling.

If you could respec for free, even if it's only in town, it would allow for some questionable poo poo. For example, if you have Whispers of Doom but running a map with Hexproof, then reclaiming those 3 - 6 points for that one map becomes optimal. Pivoting into things like Diamond Skin (or one of the other two dozen ele resist nodes) to accommodate for elemental weakness becomes an option. Opting into curse effectiveness for certain maps, bosses, or conditions becomes attractive at times. These are all things I can think of off the top of my head.

The fact that d2 eventually has full respecs and PoE which has been out for a few years still doesn't? I feel that the refund mechanic should be redone where regrets grant one refund point but TOMES from quests grant entire respec points

And yes, I will concede that players can abuse respecs a bit, but if FULL respecs were limited [by the tomes you get from quests] then they can't abuse it that much. right? I'm sure GGG can block some fuckery, as they're one of the good groups that are competent at their game.

E: https://pastebin.com/HrcfbmSn Can anyone give me advice on what I should prioritize on upgrades? The armor is a 5l and the claw needs to be a lightning elemental one so there are some good places to aim for. I need to beef up my HP so I can do merc lab and not get one shot by izaro. I've got like an exalt and 9 chaos I can spend.

Dizz fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 14, 2017

Marketed Gum
Jun 26, 2007

New players usually don't get that the lack of full respecs and the seasonal league character wipes are fundamental to the POE experience.

This is very much a game about making a guy, seeing how it turns out, then making another completely new guy. That's the good part of the video game.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

They really hosed up the damage on volatile dead. This is doing easily twice if not three times as much damage as it should be. It is a dumb dumb thing.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Yo forget about how broken you think the double "adds 3X% of physical as extra fire/cold/lightning" damage weapons are, I've found the next evolution:

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
For those using volatile dead are you using cascade or echo? Echo has more than twice the tooltip (4k vs. 11k) than cascade for me, but the clear speed feels so much better on cascade for me.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Just discovered that if you do twinned core sometimes piety stops targeting malachai, so you wind up stuck in an arena with 3 immune targets (because one of them is stuck waiting for piety to become vulnerable, piety is waiting for both malachais to become immune, and you're stuck there wondering why chris hates you).

Portaling out seems to reset things, but dying doesn't. Make sure to use your portals wisely if you're trying the twinned challenge!

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Bugsy posted:

For those using volatile dead are you using cascade or echo? Echo has more than twice the tooltip (4k vs. 11k) than cascade for me, but the clear speed feels so much better on cascade for me.

Cascade, ignore tooltip DPS because you never actually cast at full speed and you never actually have an infinite pool of corpses. All you care about is damage per ball being high enough to oneshot trash, and having enough balls per cast to actually cover a wide area in 1 cast. There's some consideration to going Echo or neither if you get the +3 VD corpses enchant, as 6*3 = 18 which is more corpses than Desecrate creates, but that hat enchant is like 10 exalts right now so I'm not even thinking about testing it yet.

E: I just realized VD tooltip just multiplies your average damage per orb by your casts per second to determine DPS, a completely worthless metric because one "cast" with Echo generates 3 balls according to the game's logic and 1 "cast" with Cascade generates 9.

Ultima66 fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 14, 2017

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm using cascade on it, but since it's not my main skill and I'm still casually getting back up to maps I haven't run numbers on it. I went with cascade simply for the sheer amount of trash dead I can convert into instant and homing aoe while clearing.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Essence Drain isn't anything new or revolutionary, but I've played about a dozen variations on the build and the one I baked this season was probably the strongest version of it I've ever played. This character was functionally immortal, dying to extreme stupidity and mental fatigue. If you are new to hardcore, or want a variety of ED that ends up being very durable, I think this is strong.

Some good stuff:
- Your regen is bonkers. With just one ED up and the Arakaali Pantheon proc'd from blood rage, it's in the region of 4000 HP/s.
- Damage is strong, although not busted.
- Relatively inexpensive - Allelopathy might set you back a little, and Witchfire isn't free. That's about it.

Some bad stuff:
- Things that don't proc CWDT are scary. Specifically, The Constrictor is scary. Ask me how I died! No CWDT ends up being a pretty strong hit to your effective regen.
- No Shield Charge is rough. With enough cast speed, Flame Dash is fine-ish, but it's not going to traverse the map as well WB or SC.

Anyway, I have an almost perfect Breath of the Council on HC and someone should buy it.

Is there a particular notable on the passive tree that I should rush towards first, or is it OK to just work my way from right to left?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yeah I got one at level 46 when I had all of 2c to my name. I hope your luck continues.

I had 5c before the end of act 3 by simply rolling quicksilver flasks of go fast with alterations. :smug:

Low level quicksilver flasks don't have that many mods available so its easy.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Dizz posted:

Fair point, but friends allowed you to quickly get back to fast levelling.

The fact that d2 eventually has full respecs and PoE which has been out for a few years still doesn't? I feel that the refund mechanic should be redone where regrets grant one refund point but TOMES from quests grant entire respec points

And yes, I will concede that players can abuse respecs a bit, but if FULL respecs were limited [by the tomes you get from quests] then they can't abuse it that much. right? I'm sure GGG can block some fuckery, as they're one of the good groups that are competent at their game.

E: https://pastebin.com/HrcfbmSn Can anyone give me advice on what I should prioritize on upgrades? The armor is a 5l and the claw needs to be a lightning elemental one so there are some good places to aim for. I need to beef up my HP so I can do merc lab and not get one shot by izaro. I've got like an exalt and 9 chaos I can spend.

D2 has 3 respecs total for your char from Akali IIRC and D2 is an entirely different game with outright immunities to things.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

been using echo because it doesn't reduce the aoe of the orbs. each orb does more work and the damage against tougher targets is noticeably higher.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Cheap Trick posted:

Is there a particular notable on the passive tree that I should rush towards first, or is it OK to just work my way from right to left?

If you are playing HC, then I'd pick up Acro and Phase Acro sooner than later. If not, then get down to at least pierce when you feel it's necessary. Some people play without pierce at all, but I think that's miserable so, that's kind of up to you. After that, right to left is generally a good way to go. Favor life and pick up MoM up sooner if you are in HC and fill out the Scion life wheel before 65~. On SC, feel free to pick up damage as you feel you need. Don't pick up Whispers of Doom until you actually have a Witchfire. Run at least a level 5 - 10 or so Clarity once you pick up MoM or you might be sad.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 14, 2017

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
When I started playing this game I was tripping hard about respec points and gem levels. It turns out that orbs of scouring and regret aren't that loving rare, and I can use them when I need to without feeling like I'm wasting resources. They're actually in a really good place! Just valuable enough to encourage you to have a solid plan but common enough to let that plan change.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

If you are playing HC, then I'd pick up Acro and Phase Acro sooner than later. If not, then get down to at least pierce when you feel it's necessary. Some people play without pierce at all, but I think that's miserable so, that's kind of up to you. After that, right to left is generally a good way to go. Favor life and pick up MoM up sooner if you are in HC and fill out the Scion life wheel before 65~. On SC, feel free to pick up damage as you feel you need. Don't pick up Whispers of Doom until you actually have a Witchfire. Run at least a level 5 - 10 or so Clarity once you pick up MoM or you might be sad.

Yeah I do softcore, thanks for the tips!

For me, the most difficult thing in this game isn't the Abyss bats, Kitava's final form, or even playing inventory Tetris: it's sticking to a character while reading about new hot builds. I've promised myself that I'll get my GC Mines Sabo to mapping at least...

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Looking for a guild invite, character name DeLancre
I messaged Sky in Discord 2x but nothing has happened, figured I'd throw the request here too

borf
Apr 5, 2006
Do I have something worthwhile here? Seems good, but I'm not great at pricing stuff. Couldn't find anything for sale with maim and crit skill, plus the two bonus elements.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Pastry Mistakes posted:

Looking for a guild invite, character name DeLancre
I messaged Sky in Discord 2x but nothing has happened, figured I'd throw the request here too

guild is full

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Noooooo!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

im not even in maps yet and im getting really sick of srs being the dumbest fuckers ever

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

How much minion speed do you have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

movement speed is fine im just salty from a lab run where they chose to hit the wrong thing 100% of the time in every izaro phase