Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Lobe posted:

I mean, he's basically Howard Hughes, but a god

Oh god, somewhere in the maze is a room filled with nothing but giant jars of dragon piss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Plumbing would be a security breach

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Dragon piss is probably valuable. Nothing valuable leaves the vault.

Jormagund
Jul 17, 2005
Totally gay for Puffery
Golden showers etc.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Benagain posted:

Nothing valuable leaves the vault.

Yabalchoath managed her heist because she was too much of an rear end in a top hat to be worth keeping around.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
The most valuable thing is friendship and now we know why the priests of the count live and die in those walls.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 12, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

World Famous W posted:

The most valuable thing is friendship and now we know why the priests of the count live and die in those walls.
Oh so THAT'S why Allison is being an rear end in a top hat.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
That is a durable goddamn invisible death maze. Mammon seriously got his money's worth out of it.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Abaddon tagged the page on Tumblr as "yeah rip" so holy gently caress that's an unceremonious end to Cio.

Do we update the Allison's count?

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Malpais Legate posted:

Abaddon tagged the page on Tumblr as "yeah rip" so holy gently caress that's an unceremonious end to Cio.

Do we update the Allison's count?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH7KYmGnj40

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Today's update: well I'm really sad at this turn of events. gently caress.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

But what about the cat?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Malpais Legate posted:

I suspect it's more a reference to Royal Allison's blasé reaction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKLmZNnMT0A

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Cio's mask seems to be intact, and I am kind of hazy on how you actually kill devils. :shrug:

M. Propagandalf
Aug 9, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Not impossible that Ciocie's gone, but her remaining names are lingering.
That possibly leaves her at Estrella Von Maximus the Third.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Here lies X: Killed by an explosion.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

lol if you think Cio's dead

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Korgan posted:

lol if you think Cio's dead

I can't believe Abaddon is going to edit out all of Cio's past appearances from the comic.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Gotta make room for new cast member, Clevin

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
cio nooooo

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I for one am glad that Allison has finally decided to shuck off this scorpion that she has been carrying across the river.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Is there even a way to permanently kill a devil. Odds are the worst that will happen is that she goes down a tier. She may forget a lot if that happens though. It could also be that this moment jogs her memory and she recalls more of her full name.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
new reader, need clarification: do devils qualify to fill the six billion demons quota

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Old reader here. Please let me know if you find out.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

When you're Royalty you get to decide who is and isn't a demon.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Jvie posted:

Old reader here. Please let me know if you find out.

ok

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

scary ghost dog posted:

new reader, need clarification: do devils qualify to fill the six billion demons quota

Six billion is the population of Throne and includes devils, humans, and angels alike.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
allison's going to akira throne at the end of the story

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Mindblast posted:

Is there even a way to permanently kill a devil. Odds are the worst that will happen is that she goes down a tier. She may forget a lot if that happens though. It could also be that this moment jogs her memory and she recalls more of her full name.

Breaking a devil's mask destroys the anchor holding its consciousness and personality together, and it rapidly reverts to a chaotic mass of the hot black flame, because devils cannot maintain individuality without their masks. Even if someone manages to recover the mask and painstakingly put it back together, it isn't necessarily the same devil that comes back: see Cio vs Yab.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Dead Reckoning posted:

Breaking a devil's mask destroys the anchor holding its consciousness and personality together, and it rapidly reverts to a chaotic mass of the hot black flame, because devils cannot maintain individuality without their masks. Even if someone manages to recover the mask and painstakingly put it back together, it isn't necessarily the same devil that comes back: see Cio vs Yab.

Cio and Yabalchoath are about as much two different devils as someone who suffers a traumatic brain injury and partial memory loss becomes a different person. There's a whole lot less continuity in Princess/Vladok's case, but it's still kinda an open question how much was really retained - Princess is still actively recovering from being "dead", really.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 13, 2017

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Holy poo poo this loving comic takes no shits and gives no fucks. what the gently caress is gonna happen now?!?!

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Personally, I've always thought that there is a compelling argument that someone who gets Phineas Gage'd really is no longer the same person they were before the organ moderating their memories, personality, and interactions with the world got violently and permanently re-wired. I think that's what is happening with Cio: she really isn't Yab, but because she inhabits the same body and the same node in her social networks, people treat her as a continuation of Yab.

My theory on Princess is that she is an unusual case: Vladok shattered his mask by breaking his contract. He immediately began reverting to the hot black flame, but this isn't an instantaneous process, and his dissolving mind could still briefly control his unraveling body. He knew this would result in his "death," but he had grown weary of servitude, and felt that taking this upstart magus (Allison) with his last moments would be a good way to go. Because Allison immediately re-masked him, Princess actually contains most of Vladok's flame; Allison effectively scooped up the free-falling water from a shattered glass with another vessel before it could splash all over the ground. If she had tried the same thing after Vladok had fully reverted, she would have been dipping into the entire ocean of the hot black flame, and there would be no way to identify flame that had once been a part of Vladok or separate it from the whole.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Dead Reckoning posted:

Personally, I've always thought that there is a compelling argument that someone who gets Phineas Gage'd really is no longer the same person they were before the organ moderating their memories, personality, and interactions with the world got violently and permanently re-wired. I think that's what is happening with Cio: she really isn't Yab, but because she inhabits the same body and the same node in her social networks, people treat her as a continuation of Yab.

You say this as if someone who doesn't suffer a traumatic injury never undergoes meaningful change. After all, there's still continuity in each case. One is just more abrupt.
Cio's self-conception, physical form, and memories are all continuations of Yabalchoath; to say they are not at all the same person both disbelieves Cio's own account of herself and the general account of continuity that people recognize around her.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Al-Saqr posted:

what the gently caress is gonna happen now?!?!

My assumption is that, going forward, other things will explode and more people will die.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

am i different person every time i wake up in the morning

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yes

its unsettling

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Al-Saqr posted:

Holy poo poo this loving comic takes no shits and gives no fucks. what the gently caress is gonna happen now?!?!

Clevin will save the day.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

AriadneThread posted:

am i different person every time i wake up in the morning

who says there's other mornings

Dead Reckoning posted:

does this apply to everything or just people. Like, if you blow out a tire do you no longer recognize your own car, cause yours was easier to steer?

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 13, 2017

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

The latest discussion I've seen of Phineas Gage and similarly injured folks, by the way, says that he probably should have been able to make most of a recovery from the iron bar through his skull - brains are extremely, EXTREMELY plastic and can reroute around damage eventually. Other people injured in similar ways don't lose the 'good person' brain nodule or anything.
Gage probably just found the whole event traumatic and it caused a radical change in his outlook, as well as the need to recover from brain-impaling.
If you want a really distressing head injury, check out 'Capgras Syndrome.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Joe Slowboat posted:

The latest discussion I've seen of Phineas Gage and similarly injured folks, by the way, says that he probably should have been able to make most of a recovery from the iron bar through his skull - brains are extremely, EXTREMELY plastic and can reroute around damage eventually. Other people injured in similar ways don't lose the 'good person' brain nodule or anything.
Gage probably just found the whole event traumatic and it caused a radical change in his outlook, as well as the need to recover from brain-impaling.
If you want a really distressing head injury, check out 'Capgras Syndrome.'

iirc this was actually what happened to him, he had vaguely defined but notable issues with planning and self-control while recovering from the injury and eventually went pretty much back to normal. It's like saying you die and a new, crippled person is born when you break an ankle.