Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Meme is a unisex name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Hate-Senpai posted:

The art's a lot different from what it used to be like, I think, though that might be cause I never read Claymore.
His art evolved a lot over the course of Claymore.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hate-Senpai posted:

Apparently it was released as a one-shot before, and is now getting a proper series.

Yeah It did
And I enjoyed the princess's design in the oneshot a lot more.

(And nice Char reference)

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Dec 12, 2017

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Hate-Senpai posted:

The mangaka behind Angel Legend and Claymore returns with a new series!

Soukyuu no Ariadne

The art's a lot different from what it used to be like, I think, though that might be cause I never read Claymore.

Apparently it was released as a one-shot before, and is now getting a proper series.

Truthism was a series where the MC was already in love with a girl from the beginning, so nobody else ever had a chance.

Art looks pretty much the same, except a bit cleaner and the backgrounds are a lot more detailed? Going to read this. I liked Claymore.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Darth TNT posted:

Art looks pretty much the same, except a bit cleaner and the backgrounds are a lot more detailed? Going to read this. I liked Claymore.

I'm mainly coming off from Angel Densetsu and the few early chapters of Claymore that I read.

Like, this is from the last chapter of Angel Densetsu. There's a big gap between the eyes, barely any nose, eyes are generally a lot sharper, narrower, and smaller.

In the first chapter of Claymore it's still pretty different in my opinion.

Whereas the new MC looks a lot more shounen-ish, and the artstyle such seems a lot more colorful, detailed, and cleaner. Like, I was unsure about who it was until I saw the old man's face. Also, the noses are simpler now, generally just a line or a triangle.

Granted, setting and genre play a large part in the artstyle shift.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
By the end of its run Claymore looked like a completely different series art-wise. I rather liked its looked, especially the monster designs.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I really liked the Claymore style despite how offputting the humans could look. There's still a bit of that in this new series, but it's way more animated and energetic looking. It also just kind of dumps a whole lot on you, I guess. But it was a fun read and I can't wait to read more.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I loved both Angel Dentetsu and Claymore so a new series from the same author sounds great. This chapter was pretty much all setup and introduction, so there isn't much to say about plot for now, but I liked both of the main characters and their interactions with each other, so that's a good sign. Hope it will do well.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I never read angel densetsu, but I just finished reading this. Seems fun.

I always liked Claymores style, though they had an unfortunate lack of faces problem.
I feat this series will have the same fate as we already have Raki, slightly younger Clare and Chronos.

Hate senpai seeing all those images really highlights how the Mangaka is still developing while still retaining his specific style. :)

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah it's always dope to see art styles evolve.

Ah! My Goddess probably has some of the biggest art shifts I've seen.

Too bad about the mangaka though.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I can't imagine something with a bigger shift than JoJo's from big beefy boys to the endless fashion models.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Hate-Senpai posted:

What's this?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

SpazmasterX posted:

What's this?

The mangaka Kosuke Fujishima (who is 53-years old) knocked up a 20-year old woman and she announced that they were getting married.

Around the same time, it was reported that:

(a) Kosuke Fujishima was married and got divorced in 2014;

(b) he was also in another long-term relationship with a third woman who was waiting for him to get a divorce so they could get married;

(c) Kosuke Fujishima ghosted this third woman;

(d) this third woman is now suing Kosuke Fujishima for mental anguish.

quote:

https://kotaku.com/famed-manga-artist-marries-cosplayer-now-reportedly-su-1820284377

Famed Manga Artist Marries Cosplayer, Now Reportedly Sued By Ex-Fiancée

Last year, one of Japan’s most famous cosplayers Nekomu Otogi, then 20 years old, announced that she was marrying 50-something year-old manga artist Kosuke Fujishima, best known for Oh My Goddess! and character designs for numerous Tales games. That’s when things got complicated.

Otogi made the sudden and unexpected announcement on Twitter, adding that she was pregnant with Fujishima’s child. At that time, Anime News Network reported that the announcement “caused a stir” among fans, who had dug up some flirty tweets between the two, including this drawing Fujishima did.

Okay, whatever. People flirt, get married, have kids. No biggie!

But, around that same time, Afternoon News reported that he had a common-law wife with a kid with people claiming that they had met them at Fujishima’s house.

Otogi is quoted as saying these were “all rumors,” but now Nico Nico News (via Shukan Josei Prime) is reporting that Fujishima apparently was married and then got a divorce in 2014. But, according to Nico Nico News, he was in another long-term relationship with a yet another woman who was waiting for him to get said divorce so that they could get married.

Via a friend, the fiancée reportedly said that when she was on a return flight from Tokyo, she received a message from Fujishima that he had cleaned out everything and would not be returning to their apartment. All the possessions were gone, Shukan Josei Prime adds, except for their two cats, which had been left behind.

Nine days later, it seems, Otogi announced that she and Fujishima were getting married.

Shukan Josei Prime approached Fujishima on the street about these allegations. He told the publication to contact his publisher Kodansha. (Full disclosure: My first book was published by Kodansha.) Upon doing so, the publisher told Shukan Josei Prime, “no comment.”

According to Nico Nico News, the ex-fiancée brought a lawsuit against Fujishima for mental anguish last November, and it’s moving through the Fukuoka district court.

Oh My Goddess!? Oh my goodness.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
A cautionary tale about what harem protagonists are actually like.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

quote:

Oh My Goddess!? Oh my goodness.

This is the most offensive part about the whole debacle.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
Well at least he's just a philanderer and not a pedophile?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Hate-Senpai posted:

Yeah it's always dope to see art styles evolve.

Ah! My Goddess probably has some of the biggest art shifts I've seen.

Rosario+Vampire had a big shift partway through.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

JosephWongKS posted:

The mangaka Kosuke Fujishima (who is 53-years old) knocked up a 20-year old woman and she announced that they were getting married.

Around the same time, it was reported that:

(a) Kosuke Fujishima was married and got divorced in 2014;

(b) he was also in another long-term relationship with a third woman who was waiting for him to get a divorce so they could get married;

(c) Kosuke Fujishima ghosted this third woman;

(d) this third woman is now suing Kosuke Fujishima for mental anguish.
Guess we now know where he got his inspiration.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Hate-Senpai posted:

Truthism was a series where the MC was already in love with a girl from the beginning, so nobody else ever had a chance.

Oh for sure, but all the same it was a refreshing change from the usual harems and something I'd like to see again. It won't happen, at least not in WNL, but that doesn't stop me from wondering how it could work and thinking it might be an interesting twist.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

We Never Learn needs to stop being a harem comic and became about dating a swim lady with help from your situationally dumb besties, fight me.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
You cannot be saved now

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

every harem thing would be vastly improved if it stopped being a harem thing tbh

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Explosions posted:

We Never Learn needs to stop being a harem comic and became about dating a swim lady with help from your situationally dumb besties, fight me.

quote that is not empty.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

every harem thing would be vastly improved if it stopped being a harem thing tbh

You're absolutely right. It is time for the WNL author to get serious, cancel WNL as it is now, and start it anew as five separate concurrent series'.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

You're absolutely right. It is time for the WNL author to get serious, cancel WNL as it is now, and start it anew as five separate concurrent series'.

I would be perfectly okay if Amagami were the future of harem.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Marvel Comics' What If (TM) Keima Started Dating Yui

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

Alternately, if it started being an actual harem thing.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Paracelsus posted:

I'm okay with this. Everybody wins, some people even win multiple times.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I've never seen Amagami. What does it do that's different?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

I've never seen Amagami. What does it do that's different?

it adapted each girl's route from the VN as a mini-arc within the show. so instead of having the show mess around with harem junk before settling on one girl (or none), every relationship gets its due.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Paracelsus posted:

Didn't Seiren, the anime made by the studio that made Amagami, do poorly on the first season.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Explosions posted:

Isn't it that already? Though I would say it more as:
We Never Learn is about dating a swim lady with help from your situationally dumb female friend and his cute small animalfriend.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/ComicBookNOW/status/941902705232171008

I should complete watching YYH...someday.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Oh shiiiiiiit could this be the wedding episode? :toot:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

SpazmasterX posted:

Oh shiiiiiiit could this be the wedding episode? :toot:

Finally, Kuwabara gets to be the bride of his dreams.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

been thinking about rewatching yuyu hakusho and this is a good excuse

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

EmmyOk posted:

I can't imagine something with a bigger shift than JoJo's from big beefy boys to the endless fashion models.
and the sameface :(

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I've never read YYH but I adore HxH. Has anyone else recently, and does it hold up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Pierson posted:

I've never read YYH but I adore HxH. Has anyone else recently, and does it hold up?

It's very good, you should read it.