Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Party Plane Jones posted:

If you're seeing "NO ELIGIBLE GAMES FOUND" then that's the correct dialog.

If it says "ACCOUNTS CONNECTED Looking for eligible games. Due to exceedingly high demand this may take up to several days, please check back later. Thank you for your patience." with no option to refresh to check again and nothing changes, then that means the website/your account is hosed while it tries to check in with Steam and you need to contact support.

Yeah I'm getting the "NO ELIGIBLE GAMES FOUND" dialog. I'm glad everything is working fine then. Has anyone used GOG Galaxy, is it any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

bessantj posted:

Yeah I'm getting the "NO ELIGIBLE GAMES FOUND" dialog. I'm glad everything is working fine then. Has anyone used GOG Galaxy, is it any good?

It's fine. If you don't plan to play GOG games in multiplayer its mostly just a website client and download manager but it's fine.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
Star Control 1 + 2 are disappearing very soon due to rights issues. I guess most people play the (free?) UrQuan Masters version but hey, not very often you get a warning about this sort of stuff.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

bessantj posted:

GOG Galaxy is handy as it organizes your installs so you don't need a dozen desktop icons to launch your games. Also auto updater (if you want it to do so). Other than that is completely unobtrusive.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Some Slitherine games are on GOG now, with some of the highest retail pricing on the store (Distant Worlds on sale for $20 but regularly $60). I wonder if we'll see the Panzer General remake or Afghanistan '11 on there.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016
Winter Sale is go, free Grim Fandango Remastered:
https://www.gog.com/news/the_winter_sale_begins_grim_fandango_goes_free

Two other free games if you hit the price points:
...unlock Hard West once you've spent 15 USD
...unlock Master of Orion (2016) once you've spent 40 USD
Every Purchase through Galaxy gets Gwent card kegs

There is a "Star Purchase" which is a mystery game

And Gog connect is live with alot of new titles:
https://www.gog.com/connect

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

fastbilly1 posted:

Winter Sale is go, free Grim Fandango Remastered:
https://www.gog.com/news/the_winter_sale_begins_grim_fandango_goes_free

Two other free games if you hit the price points:
...unlock Hard West once you've spent 15 USD
...unlock Master of Orion (2016) once you've spent 40 USD
Every Purchase through Galaxy gets Gwent card kegs

There is a "Star Purchase" which is a mystery game

And Gog connect is live with alot of new titles:
https://www.gog.com/connect

drat it, GOG! :gogtears:

A Hat In Time is on sale for 50% off, which I think is the first time I've seen it on sale since it's come out. Does the GOG version come with an level editor like the Steam version does? I've been wanting to pick it up for a while, but I'm wondering if I should just hold out for the Steam version so I can get Workshop support and whatnot.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Any early ideas of what the star crates contain?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Any early ideas of what the star crates contain?
Jack Keane?

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

You can't go wrong with Grim Fandango! Oh and you can buy mystery stars but probably shouldn't, as always.

I already bought some stuff in the fall sales, so I feel I need to trim my backlog before I buy anything new. But maybe something I already own on disc.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I have a 3-year-old who is obsessed with skeletons, so a free Grim Fandango could not have come at a better time.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

That's confirmed from another forum. Also Lego Batman 2, which is a good game. I imagine the rest will be indie garbage and more Jack Keane, though.

GOG Connect gave me some old Paradox games, which I'm glad to have backed up DRM-free. Thanks GOG.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
You know what I'd happily see on GOG? Take No Prisoners, the old top-down shooter made by Raven. Is there any reason it's not there yet?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Terminally Bored posted:

You know what I'd happily see on GOG? Take No Prisoners, the old top-down shooter made by Raven. Is there any reason it's not there yet?

Probably something to do with Activision? I don't think any other Raven games made it to GOG either :sigh:

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Jedi Knight 2 was Raven, right?

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

I got one star and it had Homeworld Emergence which is apparently Homeworld Cataclysm renamed. Does anyone have any opinions on it? I don't really know anything about the Homeworld series in general.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

doctorfrog posted:

I have a 3-year-old who is obsessed with skeletons, so a free Grim Fandango could not have come at a better time.

You may have a demon child.

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

I got one star and it had Homeworld Emergence which is apparently Homeworld Cataclysm renamed. Does anyone have any opinions on it? I don't really know anything about the Homeworld series in general.

You may have trouble even running it, so let's just put that right out front. That said...

I assume you know they're 3D space RTS's but besides that it's the best Homeworld, or it was when Homeworld was new. You won't realize that without playing the other two in their original forms but it is. It was not updated like Homeworld Remastered because the source code is gone so it will still look like a 1999 game but if you can accept that then its a pinnacle of its genre when it comes to RTS single player campaigns. If you can get it to run there are file/registry edits you can make to put it into widescreen.

It doesn't try to outdo the original but instead uses it to launch a game with a completely different mood and manages to make the previously almost mythical universe of the first Homeworld into something more lived in, adding more character and personality to every aspect of the game. From the lore's factions, to characters that talk at you, to the chatter of the units, and even to the unit designs themselves.

Homeworld 2 tried to outdo the original and, despite being gorgeous and keeping the fantastic music, failed hard at it. Homeworld Cataclysm/Emergence went with its own thing and succeeded spectacularly, despite what some purists may think.

You may also want to read the manual before playing it because this is a game from the era where game writers had nothing better to do than shovel all their lore into the first 50 pages of the manual. It'll fill you in on Homeworld 1 as well.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 12, 2017

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

It turns a fascinating strategy game into survival horror. You're not the last survivors trying to find your home, you're a bunch of miners who have gotten in waaaay over their head. I honestly think it's better than the original. It's amazing.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

This actually sounds kind of neat game if it mixes RTS and horror elements. I don't play too many RTS games, but I'll give it a whirl and see how it goes. Thanks for the input guys.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Yeah, Homeworld is great. It's probably the only RTS whose campaign I actually cared about and the only game that managed to make me cry, and videogames almost never make me cry.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

doctorfrog posted:

Saves them having to wait to become a skeleton, too.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I never thought "horror" was the best way to describe Cataclysm although there's certainly one large obvious aspect of horror to the game. I would definitely say it is much more tense and suspenseful than your typical RTS campaign.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

gently caress it, I will pay 2 bucks just so that Jack Orlando can't turn up as a mystery game for me.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Alright, free Grim Fandango, my first games on GOG Connect and I got Jagged Alliance 2 from a star. I might actually have a go at playing Sunless Sea now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Testekill posted:

gently caress it, I will pay 2 bucks just so that Jack Orlando can't turn up as a mystery game for me.

But then how will you help clear the stack of them the next time GoG does one of their batch sales :thunk:.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

It's okay. He still didn't buy Jack Keane.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Terminally Bored posted:

Jedi Knight 2 was Raven, right?
Yeah, so was Jedi Academy. Singularity and Quake 4 are also on GOG.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah, so was Jedi Academy. Singularity and Quake 4 are also on GOG.

Well I haven't been keeping up with GOG releases I guess. No idea why Heretic II and other Raven games aren't on there :(

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Sort of an odd choice for a first screenshot for Deus Ex: https://www.gog.com/game/deus_ex

Only registered members can see post attachments!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Cat Mattress posted:

I think international copyright law should include a clause saying that when an IP dispute becomes such an intractable clusterfuck, the IP in question becomes public domain.

It's not that intractable of a clusterfuck, is the thing- Studio Nue owns the IP 100% in Japan. Harmony Gold simply disagrees with the Japanese courts and, for whatever ungodly reason, got a US judge on their side. If someone fights Harmony Gold on it, chances are they'll save Macross pretty easily.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

doctorfrog posted:

Sort of an odd choice for a first screenshot for Deus Ex: https://www.gog.com/game/deus_ex

It's just a little message for Eidos/Square Enix

"Fanks for getting us in!"

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Some free keys, not sure which of them still works:

7EB95-19A9F-6D269-E4BA8 LITTLE BIG ADVENTURE 2 (TWINSEN'S ODYSSEY)
A8486-21233-2EF3F-A9A8B Saints Row 2
7DA27-AAB9B-83BA2-66D17 Little Big Adventure (Relentless: Twinsen's Adventure)
F2E2F-953C1-53944-AD8B5 Anno 1404: Gold Edition
76FD7-6E175-9A14E-AAEC2 Vertical Drop Heroes HD
963GA13BFC806C795D Expeditions: Conquistador
XR525DA66508BED21A Dex
53K76C98D1FBA2A7F2 Victor Vran
TBK4BAFD9A7236BBV7 StarCrawlers
A3VD5C7D9FCC32014E Hard West
9FHHD11927835F7A3P Master of Orion

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

ymgve posted:

Some free keys, not sure which of them still works:

F2E2F-953C1-53944-AD8B5 Anno 1404: Gold Edition

I took this one, thank you.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Thanks, I managed to get StarCrawlers.

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!

ymgve posted:

9FHHD11927835F7A3P Master of Orion

You are both an officer, and a gentlegoon.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

ymgve posted:

A3VD5C7D9FCC32014E Hard West

Thanks!

Gorilla Desperado
Oct 9, 2012

ymgve posted:

XR525DA66508BED21A Dex

Somebody nabbed this one.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
gently caress yeah, Jazz Jackrabbit 1 and 2 AND Epic Pinball.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/943124641438040065

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

After I just bought it in the sale, oh well.