Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

reddit commenter posted:

According to his comment history OP has bought a $44k car, $2k tv, and new Nintendo Switch, a google pixel, rented an apartment and then broke the lease 2 months after signing, a new bedroom set, and more within the last few months.

The worst part of all this is that I saw an expensive all-electric car and thought he bought a Tesla but instead the fool is only in a massively overpriced Chevy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sirotan posted:

I am still struggling to see how they are managing to pay Verizon $250/mo. Their site says $41.66/mo with $0 down over 24 months if you have great credit, or $24.99/mo with $400 down if you have poo poo credit. 0% APR too. Guessing they didn't have the cash to pay the $800 combined downpayment, that still doesn't account for $167/mo.

I mean unless I ask them I'll probably never know what plan they have, it just blows my mind to know people are paying that much money in 2017 for cell service.

This violates the rules against self dealing but I am thoughts-and-prayers'ing that I get leniency. I pay $137/month for my ATT plan which is entirely separate from my wife's ATT plan at $87/month. Both plans include a financed cell phone (30? months at 0%), mine includes grandfathered unlimited data which gets us up to $224 combined. (Hers we recently gave up the grandfathered plan to get unlimited minutes.) It's not impossible, just incredibly stupid on their part. Given the rest of their issues it's sort of the least of their worries.

Our effective cell phone spending is $99/month due to a stipend I get at work.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

If you are already at the proper amount of tax withheld, wouldn’t it basically be a $7500 check? Assuming the credit can put excess into a refund. I know the continuing education (or is it the hope?) credit gives you like 50% of the remaining value as a refund.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
EV credit is explicitly non refundable, this fellow is going to hurt.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Teeter posted:

reddit commenter posted:
According to his comment history OP has bought a $44k car, $2k tv, and new Nintendo Switch, a google pixel, rented an apartment and then broke the lease 2 months after signing, a new bedroom set, and more within the last few months.

That is some impressive BWM.

Why is his girlfriend dumping all her income into this giant black hole of a relationship? :stare:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i feel like there's a bwm angle with the pedophile horse senatorial candidate
there's a horse angle, at least

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Dalrain posted:

EV credit is explicitly non refundable, this fellow is going to hurt.

drat, that sucks. Good to know, though. So I guess if you’re W-2 employed you should just get your withholdings as low as possible for the rest of the year to use as much of the tax credit as possible (assuming you aren’t at a guillotine level of income).

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Risky Bisquick posted:

Rolling negative equity forward should be illegal it's just too predatory. I bet you they lease their furniture too

Some banks won't finance negative equity. Doesn't stop the dealerships from finding fraudulent ways to get around that though.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

drat, that sucks. Good to know, though. So I guess if you’re W-2 employed you should just get your withholdings as low as possible for the rest of the year to use as much of the tax credit as possible (assuming you aren’t at a guillotine level of income).

Withholding doesn't affect it at all, it is based on taxes actually owed. In this case, the guy has some amount of income less than $40k so he won't owe anywhere near $7500, so he'll end up paying $0 federal tax but he will have only gotten a small portion of the $7500.

Ironically, he'll still owe the 15.3% in fica tax on his Uber driving so not only will he lose a big chunk of the credit, he's still going to owe thousands in taxes.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sirotan posted:

How do people even manage to spend $250/mo on a cell phone bill these days? Cricket/Boost/etc pre-paid MVNO plans can be had for $50/mo unlimited everything. Even having a contract with a carrier with multiple lines, leasing phone(s), etc how the gently caress can you spend $3k/year on cell phones?

Not the case in this instance, but that’s not the case outside the US necessarily. The major providers here are about $150 Canadian/month for 10GB data, so if one were married to someone with similar needs they’d be getting to about $300/mo combined.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

If you are already at the proper amount of tax withheld, wouldn’t it basically be a $7500 check?

No. The most it can do is offset existing taxes. He's been withholding nothing, so come April he'll need to file taxes, the tax credit gets entered as a line on his 1040 and will offset the tax he owes, but there's no way his Federal income tax is $7500 for the year on his income. If he owes $2000, the tax credit will offset that and he'll end up owing nothing. If he owes $0, the tax credit will have no significance.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
My bill is $160 a month. But it's also for five people, with unlimited data. So $32/person.

You all need to shop around.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Oh! Do we get to post our cell phone bills!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctive posted:

Not the case in this instance, but that’s not the case outside the US necessarily. The major providers here are about $150 Canadian/month for 10GB data, so if one were married to someone with similar needs they’d be getting to about $300/mo combined.

10GB is a lot of loving data in a major city with wifi access all over He place.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

Oh! Do we get to post our cell phone bills!

Comparing cell phone bills is the millennial version of comparing wedding costs. Because millennials will never be able to afford a wedding worth bragging about.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Because they spent it all on cellphone bills.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Stop talking about yourselves you boring assholes!

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7jfire/how_much_interest_would_i_be_paying_on_a_15335/ posted:

How much interest would I be paying on a 15,335 loan at 10.99 apr over 60 months? Also, is this APR high? Any banks you would recommend that would offer lower rates?

Unsecured personal loan for personal reasons, this time of year always hits me hard - property taxes, mix in a new baby as well as Christmas; and BAM right in the kisser

BAM right in the kisser

Also

quote:

I make 6 figures, but I’ve made stupid decisions in the past and have a couple other loans out as well, and a home loan. I imagine having that much out there doesn’t help

Inept fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 13, 2017

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Better that than a credit card I guess?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Droo posted:

Withholding doesn't affect it at all, it is based on taxes actually owed. In this case, the guy has some amount of income less than $40k so he won't owe anywhere near $7500, so he'll end up paying $0 federal tax but he will have only gotten a small portion of the $7500.

Ironically, he'll still owe the 15.3% in fica tax on his Uber driving so not only will he lose a big chunk of the credit, he's still going to owe thousands in taxes.

I was talking about a hypothetical other person who is on W-2 and making enough to make good use of the credit. You would effectively get as much of the credit as you could use over the course of the year on your paychecks. Please don’t probate for self-posting, but that’s why I checked the exempt box last year because I knew my tuition tax credit was going to more than cover what I owed, and wanted to make sure as little as possible was hit by the 50% reduction for the refund.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
How do you end up in a job that pays six figures but have to resort to asking on Reddit how much you'll pay in interest on a simple loan? Also why is he even paying property taxes that aren't escrowed? There's no way he has a properly without a mortgage if he's taking out $15k personal loans.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

metallicaeg posted:

How do you end up in a job that pays six figures but have to resort to asking on Reddit how much you'll pay in interest on a simple loan? Also why is he even paying property taxes that aren't escrowed? There's no way he has a properly without a mortgage if he's taking out $15k personal loans.

Not all 6 figure jobs require knowledge past what you're doing. I know plenty of tradesmen that earn 6 figures and still blow all of it on trucks, four-wheelers, fishing boats, old cars they plan on fixing up but never do, a new barn to put all the project cars, etc. They'll have like $500 in their checking account and $40k in credit card debt making minimum payments because almost every cent of their $4k bi monthly check goes to interest on already purchased poo poo.

Kind of a long way of saying BWM knows no income level.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

See: my brother-in-law who works in the oil fields and saves no money. A diesel F-250, a project car for drag racing, and expensive nights out with his crew, but no savings.

To be fair I think his wife has a legitimate mental disorder causing her to buy stuff constantly related to her growing up in poverty and now having a six figure income. Twice this year she’s given my wife entire garbage bags of clothes she doesn’t want anymore, and now that she’s moving out of my in-laws’ house it looks like a hoarder’s house with all the poo poo lying around.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jordan7hm posted:

10GB is a lot of loving data in a major city with wifi access all over He place.

Sure, but not every city has usable wifi all over the place, if indeed you're mostly staying still. I do a lot of video conferencing on my phone and iPad, and I deal with a lot of large slide decks.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctive posted:

Sure, but not every city has usable wifi all over the place, if indeed you're mostly staying still. I do a lot of video conferencing on my phone and iPad, and I deal with a lot of large slide decks.

Yeah, but that's all employment related. You don't need 10GB for your personal use. A married couple certainly doesn't need 20 GB combined for personal use.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Two other non-bitcoin cryptocurrencies are booming right now, everyone trying to buy into the "next" bitcoin has resulted in some fun posts.

https://www.reddit.com/r/litecoin/comments/7jm6da/someone_please_give_me_advicehelp_me_coinbase/ posted:

Someone please give me advice/help me! (COINBASE) (self.litecoin)
submitted 8 minutes ago by MrPanderson
So because im an idiot, by complete accident I purchased with my Checkings account instead of my Credit Card on Coinbase this morning, and I just realized that I did so. I bought $4,400 worth of LTC, and though my credit card has a budget of $5,000, I have only a couple hundred in my checkings account.
I have about 15k in crypto right now, and I can sell, send to bank... but that will take at least 2-3 business days... which is going to reach much slower than this purchase that I made.
What is Coinbase going to do to me? Is there something I can do to protect from overdraft? Help!

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Jordan7hm posted:

Yeah, but that's all employment related. You don't need 10GB for your personal use. A married couple certainly doesn't need 20 GB combined for personal use.

Young co-worker of mine is engrossed in the world of social media and is trying to make it big as a youtube personality. Is constantly telling me about all of his overages with AT&T... he has a 30 gig plan and is routinely having to pay them extra because of it.

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 13, 2017

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

THF13 posted:

Two other non-bitcoin cryptocurrencies are booming right now, everyone trying to buy into the "next" bitcoin has resulted in some fun posts.

Timely, because I just came in here to post this:

it came from Facebook posted:

I just invested in Ethereum and Litecoin. Never invested before, but I'm feeling lucky. Especially since I just got a $600 speeding ticket Monday.

This is not a person who can afford a $600 speeding ticket.

Best followup comment was one of his friends saying to fight the speeding ticket on sovereign citizen grounds.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I don't think I've posted this before.

My coworker bought a Ford Raptor earlier this year - a fully loaded model. And he bought it right after they were released, so demand was somewhat high. However, unlike previous years, Ford didn't put a cap on the number they're going to make, so it's not a limited edition thing, but dealerships weren't sharing that info so, initially, a lot of buyers thought they had to get one ASAP or they'd sell out. All of this is to say that he paid like $10k OVER dealer invoice, for a total of like $80-ish thousand dollars.

His interest rate is somewhere in the 8-9% range which, while not horrible when compared to some of the numbers mentioned in this thread, is still bad for a dude with great credit and no real debt. Except, it turns out, for the car loan he cosigned for with his ex-girlfriend. The car loan he is getting called about monthly as she misses payments. The car loan he thinks they'll be able to get entirely in her name despite the fact that she is unemployed.

He's also involved in Amway and dreams of the day when the money he makes from that can take care of his truck loan.

DesolateRampage
Feb 16, 2011
I am a supervisor in a call center (talk about being BWM.) My representatives deal with financial accounts related to healthcare, so HSA, FSA, DCA, etc.

I am in the process of sorting through todays escalated calls, and what do I see in the subject line?

Horse Camp

Someone called in and was apparently agitated enough that their account did not cover horse camp and riding lessons that they wished to escalate to a supervisor. I now have to call this individual back and find some way to reason with them while politely telling them they are wrong and to gently caress off, and that no, you can't use those funds for that.

Wish me luck.

:allbuttons:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

DesolateRampage posted:

I am a supervisor in a call center (talk about being BWM.) My representatives deal with financial accounts related to healthcare, so HSA, FSA, DCA, etc.

I am in the process of sorting through todays escalated calls, and what do I see in the subject line?

Horse Camp

Someone called in and was apparently agitated enough that their account did not cover horse camp and riding lessons that they wished to escalate to a supervisor. I now have to call this individual back and find some way to reason with them while politely telling them they are wrong and to gently caress off, and that no, you can't use those funds for that.

Wish me luck.

:allbuttons:

I have seen horse camp written off as childcare expense before, and my understanding is that if the summer camp is primarily for childcare then it qualifies even if it also serves another purpose. I'm not an accountant but it seems like based on the IRS publication governing the childcare tax credit it would qualify. Not sure about a DCA.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pleasepleaseplease tell me they are considering their horse a "child" and not the much more rational situation posted above.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I was talking about a hypothetical other person who is on W-2 and making enough to make good use of the credit. You would effectively get as much of the credit as you could use over the course of the year on your paychecks. Please don’t probate for self-posting, but that’s why I checked the exempt box last year because I knew my tuition tax credit was going to more than cover what I owed, and wanted to make sure as little as possible was hit by the 50% reduction for the refund.

You can only claim exempt if in your prior year you had no taxable income as well. I am sure the IRS won't care if you do end up having no taxable income this year, but in your case you would want to just jack the withholdings up.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

22 Eargesplitten posted:

See: my brother-in-law who works in the oil fields and saves no money. A diesel F-250, a project car for drag racing, and expensive nights out with his crew, but no savings.

To be fair I think his wife has a legitimate mental disorder causing her to buy stuff constantly related to her growing up in poverty and now having a six figure income. Twice this year she’s given my wife entire garbage bags of clothes she doesn’t want anymore, and now that she’s moving out of my in-laws’ house it looks like a hoarder’s house with all the poo poo lying around.

I was doing some work down in Wyoming and mentioned to coworker there that every car lot was full of trucks. Not just the base model trucks either, full on F-250/2500s. Apparently everyone who would end up on a rig would work their first month or two, head into town and get a truck. You can just get a regular truck, what if you need to haul 3/4 ton of gear? Also you don't want to regular truck, it has to be the fancy package.
So these dipshits would buy a truck, drive it for a few months and then would lose the truck. Some would get fired, others would fall behind on payments because they bought other poo poo. Or they'd get on meth. Bank would repo the truck, dealers would buy them back. On the lot they go for the next dipshit.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Pleasepleaseplease tell me they are considering their horse a "child" and not the much more rational situation posted above.

DesolateRampage said they work with healthcare accounts, so I assume it's someone saying their horsefun is therapeutic.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
BWM having a median net worth of $8. This is the worst type of BWM. Could someone enlighten me as to why things are so terrible in Boston?
https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2017/12/11/that-was-typo-the-median-net-worth-black-bostonians-really/ze5kxC1jJelx24M3pugFFN/story.html

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Devian666 posted:

BWM having a median net worth of $8. This is the worst type of BWM. Could someone enlighten me as to why things are so terrible in Boston?
https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2017/12/11/that-was-typo-the-median-net-worth-black-bostonians-really/ze5kxC1jJelx24M3pugFFN/story.html

I would say racism, but racism only exists in red states.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Devian666 posted:

why things are so terrible in Boston?

I was born and raised here and without clicking the article, I was going to quip "the people, mostly," but I'm sure glad I clicked first.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Raldikuk posted:

You can only claim exempt if in your prior year you had no taxable income as well. I am sure the IRS won't care if you do end up having no taxable income this year, but in your case you would want to just jack the withholdings up.

It had also happened the previous year when I didn't know about the tuition tax credit until tax time. So I was in the clear.

To my brother's credit, he never lost his drag car or truck (presumably he owned the drag car in full). And it was a mid-2000s F-250, not a 2017. But still, he was planning on turning that truck into a project car too. And that's after his wife wrecked two Chrysler 200s in at most two years (I think one) and flooded the engine on his Subaru STI driving through floodwaters. They also currently have what can't be any older than a 2014 Dodge Durango.

At least he's finally bought a house down there after living up in CO with his parents (and his wife, and 3 4 kids) for two and a half years.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Devian666 posted:

Looking at the report, probably a mixture of being unbanked, the historical fallout of decades of redlining, and the resulting lack of wealth from compounding returns that whites enjoy.

• The typical white household in Boston is more likely than nonwhite households to own every type of liquid asset. For example, close to half of Puerto Ricans and a quarter of U.S. blacks don't have either a savings or checking account, compared to only 7% of whites.
  • Whites and nonwhites also exhibit important differences in assets that associated with homeownership, basic transportation, and retirement. Close to 80% of whites own a home, whereas only one-third of U.S. blacks, less than one-fifth of Dominicans and Puerto Ricans, and only half of Caribbean blacks are homeowners. And while most white households (56 percent) own retirement accounts, only one-fifth of U.S and Caribbean blacks, and 8 percent of Dominicans have them.
  • Although members of communities of color are less likely to own homes, among homeowners they are more likely to have mortgage debt. Nonwhite households are more likely than whites to have student loans and medical debt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer