Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

SomethingJones posted:

Well if that's their defence then they really are truly hosed because a jury ain't buying that load of old cobblers in ten million years.

If you can even find 12 jurors in CA who know what 'gravamen' means without googling it, that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

SomethingJones posted:

Well if that's their defence then they really are truly hosed because a jury ain't buying that load of old cobblers in ten million years.

If what is alleged is true, it’ll never get to a jury. They’ll win on summary judgment. Too much indisputable material fact out there. The “most transparent development ever” has seen to that.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Hav posted:

The defendants have indicated multiple times that they've shifted engines. They had a GLA not to shift engines. Turmoil.

"But, Mr. Judge, although it is true that we have switched to LY, we haven't switched to another engine. See, LY is based of CE. So we're still using CE !".

In this case, it will depend on judge's understanding of what an engine is or isn't.

The zenimax vs facebook oculus case and Carmack's failed defense should tell you a thing or two about how non-computer friendly people ( and even so-called experts ) interpret things in a way that you might not expect, despite being pretty clear cut to you.

So I definitely do not think it's going to be an easy win. CIG is going to fight hard to interpret the GLA in a way that invalidates this engine switching clause.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Lawyer: 'So Mr Roberts you did UNLAWFULLY use a game engine, how do you plead?'
:saddowns: 'Game? what loving game *waves hands* there is no game *waves hands* how can I be guilty of this if there is no game?????'
Goons: 'It's true your majesty there is no game, we've been saying it for years'
Lawyer: 'No further questions, I am all out of ideas CASE DISMISSED'
:reddit: I DON'T KNOW HOW TO FEEL

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Golli posted:

If you can even find 12 jurors in CA who know what 'gravamen' means without googling it, that is.

I'm sure they'll have big sheets of paper and crayons to draw flow charts for them

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Thread is good, again.

I am hundreds of posts behind. Help a brother out.

I see "in excess of $75,000" used quite a lot. Is there an actual figure or range or estimate anywhere in that lawsuit filing?
Lawsuits happen all the time. Does anyone want to estimate how likely this is to be the thing that does in Star Citizen, or maybe just gives Chris cover to fold up operations and abscond with whatever money he's shuffled off to the Caymans or wherever?
Are the Citizens having glorious meltdowns, or are they all pretending not to care / not to be worried?

Are we ready for this much awesomeness? The fun doesn't end after CIG folds. There will likely be months of infighting and projecting and blaming after this scam collapses. We're going to get a fine crop of people blaming Goons and frivolous lawsuits for the failure of their star fantasy.

Star Citizen really is the grift that keeps on giving. I know I already said that, but come on... It's so true.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

mjotto posted:

Oh for the love of god, will you guys stop posting? I. Just. Can't.Keep.Up.

Please? Pretty Please?

Some music for getting through the thread today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wxI4KK9ZYo

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Incitatus posted:

Skadden: "I'm going to get right to the point. It has come to my attention that you and the studio changed the development from CryEngine to Lumberyard. Is that correct?"

Crobbler: "Who said that?"

Skadden: "You did."

Crobbler: (pauses for a few seconds) "Well--not really. Still using CryEngine. We just told backers we switched to LumberYard as a gambit to stall for time and raise more money."
ftfy

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Jason Schrier can eat poo poo tho

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

Golli posted:

That's easy. Gravyman:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

SomethingJones posted:

not to mention that it only invalidates 37, not 36-- it's hard to argue around "well we didn't develop star citizen using another video game engine per se", it's pretty binary, especially if you've got years of your CEO saying "We're developing it in Star Engine/Lumberyard"

Nyast posted:

Yes I know. But you must admit the case if a bit more ambiguous than if they had switched, say, to Unreal 4. Because LY still technically is CE. So is LY another, completely different engine, or is it a new branch of CE that is marketed/owned by a different company ?

I do not have the answer and I certainly do not think it's an easy black & white answer.

LY is based on CE, yes, and it means that arguing "well we did switch"/"well we didn't switch" would be a lot more complicated with the bits of legacy/shared code. But the argument here is either:
- You didn't switch and you're violating copyright and our exclusivity contract by developing SQ42 and sending code to other people, not to mention ripping all mention of cryengine out and claiming it's all Star Engine or whatever

OR

- You did switch and you violated the contract saying you'd develop Star Citizen in Cryengine

There's no legal superposition here where we can't tell which one you did ergo you're innocent on both counts, you either did A and you're getting sued for it or you did B and you're getting sued for that instead

It's like schrodinger's cat but the cat is dead either way

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Golli posted:

Not my fault you are all a much of illiterate assholes.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Man I love gravy

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Hello Skadden lawyers, you know where to find me. <3

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Nyast posted:

Yes I know. But you must admit the case if a bit more ambiguous than if they had switched, say, to Unreal 4. Because LY still technically is CE. So is LY another, completely different engine, or is it a new branch of CE that is marketed/owned by a different company ?

I do not have the answer and I certainly do not think it's an easy black & white answer.
Yeah, but CryTek's intent was for CIG to use only the version of the Crytek engine licensed at the time to CIG. Also CIG was supposed to develop the said engine and give improvements on the engine version they coded on back to CryTek, which they did not.

Claiming that one is switching to technically the same engine is still an act of switching. Plus in doing so they were trying to no longer honor the contract with Crytek.

But accusations of switching engines is only one complaint of many Crytek placed in the court filing. I don't see any way for Ortwin or Crobbers to mush-mouth their way out of this.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

MinorInconvenience posted:

If what is alleged is true, it’ll never get to a jury. They’ll win on summary judgment. Too much indisputable material fact out there. The “most transparent development ever” has seen to that.

If the injunction is handed down that's the end of it right there, in fact the Foundry guys waking up tomorrow morning in the UK are going to work with the actual real and true threat of an injunction hanging over the project. gently caress that for a game of xmas charlie.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/3033144/#Comment_3033144

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Schrodinger's Gravy
That's the name of my prog rock band

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

MinorInconvenience posted:

Not my fault you are all a much of illiterate assholes.

Now wait just a minute, Sparky...

What are the odds of getting a preliminary injunction prohibiting further development granted in the near term, to prevent destruction of evidence?

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
There's always more and it's always worse.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

thatguy posted:

There's always more and it's always better.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

XK posted:

Seeking an injunction against using the engine.

:vince:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

mjotto posted:

Oh for the love of god, will you guys stop posting? I. Just. Can't.Keep.Up.

Please? Pretty Please?

No. You must suffer like all SC audience members have to suffer.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

thatguy posted:

There's always more and it's always worse.

It's going to be incredibly, unbelievably funny.*

* 2 weeks.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

peter gabriel posted:

The first Coutts is the deepest, baby, I know
The first Coutts is the deepest
But when it comes to being lucky, he's cursed
When it comes to licencing engines, he's worse

Another Cat wrote that.

Edit. The original song I mean.

*lotsofdancycats.gif*

Dooguk fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 14, 2017

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Thread is good, again.

I see "in excess of $75,000" used quite a lot. Is there an actual figure or range or estimate anywhere in that lawsuit filing?
Lawsuits happen all the time. Does anyone want to estimate how likely this is to be the thing that does in Star Citizen, or maybe just gives Chris cover to fold up operations and abscond with whatever money he's shuffled off to the Caymans or wherever?
Are the Citizens having glorious meltdowns, or are they all pretending not to care / not to be worried?

Are we ready for this much awesomeness? The fun doesn't end after CIG folds. There will likely be months of infighting and projecting and blaming after this scam collapses. We're going to get a fine crop of people blaming Goons and frivolous lawsuits for the failure of their star fantasy.

Star Citizen really is the grift that keeps on giving. I know I already said that, but come on... It's so true.

Apparently that's the lower limit for such a thing, it has to be above that amount, like a bar.

Everyone has been googling the law firm though and it turns out they won't look you in the eye for less than a grand an hour so this is pretty major stuff. Also what the gently caress are CIG thinking not settling this before it gets filed into the public domain, they clearly CLEARLY don't have the cash

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

SomethingJones posted:

edit - the word "exclusively" is explicit and easily understood.

I agree. But I can't tell if it is prescriptive or proscriptive language from the selections presented in the complaint. For the illiterate, I don't know if it is language granting CIG permission to do something or requiring CIG to do something.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Great timing on this, just top notch work fellas. I'm sure it's all going to work out for you.

Dear diary, it's the 6th August 1945 and at 8.17am I completed the purchase of my brand new home in the beautiful city of Hiroshima.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Thread is good, again.

There is not. The $75,000 figure is a qualification for the suit to be heard in a Federal court (baseline set by Congress in the 1990s). Could be $75,001, could be millions of dollars.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

not to mention that it only invalidates 37, not 36-- it's hard to argue around "well we didn't develop star citizen using another video game engine per se", it's pretty binary, especially if you've got years of your CEO saying "We're developing it in Star Engine/Lumberyard"

LY is based on CE, yes, and it means that arguing "well we did switch"/"well we didn't switch" would be a lot more complicated with the bits of legacy/shared code. But the argument here is either:
- You didn't switch and you're violating copyright and our exclusivity contract by developing SQ42 and sending code to other people, not to mention ripping all mention of cryengine out and claiming it's all Star Engine or whatever

OR

- You did switch and you violated the contract saying you'd develop Star Citizen in Cryengine

There's no legal superposition here where we can't tell which one you did ergo you're innocent on both counts, you either did A and you're getting sued for it or you did B and you're getting sued for that instead

It's like schrodinger's cat but the cat is dead either way

OR

- We did switch and we did not violate the contract saying you cannot switch, because *insert excuses*.

This last case would not invalidate claims related to what happened *before* switching engines. Such as not giving Crytek back the modified source code, or disclosing stuff ( prior to the LY switch ) in Bugsmashers.

It would however ( assuming CIG succeeds at tweaking the LGA ) invalidate the SQ42 claim or the Faceware claim or the logo/marketing removal claim. Although the SQ42 one is even dubious, because Crytek could claim some earnings on every SQ42 preorder until the LY switch; not sure how much that amounts to..

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
CIG is going to claim: Game? What game? All we have is an alpha tech demo at best. There is no game here. SQ42 and Star Citizen is simply market speak for raising money--they are both the same thing! Missing splash screen logos? These are test builds--you don't understand game development.

And as was called long ago--all CIG has done with Lumberyard is change a few calls to work with Amazon servers instead of Google. i.e. CIG never broke the switching engine clause because they never really switched engines.

But I'm only hoping for maximum comedy. And probably the funniest will be the Skadden lawyers figuring out there hasn't been any money for six months plus.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug
It's funny that for the purposes of the case lawyers are going to get paid to sift through Something Awful subforum posts.

Your Honor we submit to the court evidence exhibit ELE, printouts of the Star Citizen Thread lcated in the General Bullshit forum of the website Something Awful.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
is the game out yet?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

serious norman posted:

is the game out yet?

Soon, friend

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Golli posted:

Now wait just a minute, Sparky...

What are the odds of getting a preliminary injunction prohibiting further development granted in the near term, to prevent destruction of evidence?

You don't get preliminary injunctions to prohibit spoliation. That's just illegal without any such PI or TRO stuff. And since all they allege is money damages.... no irreparable harm. I'd say its a pretty low probability. But what do I know?

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

Bofast posted:

Nah, Escape Velocity was good

My friends and I played this so much in high school that we called it Escape Reality. Then Everquest happened :sweatdrop:

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

SomethingJones posted:

Apparently that's the lower limit for such a thing, it has to be above that amount, like a bar.

Everyone has been googling the law firm though and it turns out they won't look you in the eye for less than a grand an hour so this is pretty major stuff. Also what the gently caress are CIG thinking not settling this before it gets filed into the public domain, they clearly CLEARLY don't have the cash

Maybe CIG can hold the backers hostage and start a new crowdfunding campaign for their legal defense fund.

"If you _really_ want to see the Star Citizen and SQ42 get built to completion then help us defend against this obvious spiteful and hateful lawsuit that CryTek is using to try to stop you from playing."

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

nnnotime posted:

Maybe CIG can hold the backers hostage and start a new crowdfunding campaign for their legal defense fund.

"If you _really_ want to see the Star Citizen and SQ42 get built to completion then help us defend against this obvious spiteful and hateful lawsuit that CryTek is using to try to stop you from playing."

I'm hoping against all hope that it comes to this.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/941075252871942145

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

It's jurisdictional. Diversity jurisdiction in Federal courts requires disputed to be in excess of $75k. Although they allege copyright violations, which are original jurisdiction in Federal courts even without the $75k limit. I presume they put that in there as a belt and suspenders thing to ensure Federal jurisdiction.