Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Dan needs Bakalar's backup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
nier should be goty, id want them to at least pick zelda, but it will be pubg

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
zelda is the best game released this year

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Expect My Mom posted:

It’s my personal goty easily, but I haven’t followed the GB folks as closely as I have in the past, so it’s somewhat saddening to hear it may only have Dan backing it.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i feel like zelda support will be stronger than some people are giving it credit for but pubg is the obvious number 1 spot and there's nothing we can do about it

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Wow dude. The gulag? Wow..

Okay, just Rorie.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
ive definitely seen OnLine that BotW's reception has mostly settled to "yeah its pretty good" instead of "literally the best game ever"

what i want to know is if people will also remember RE7 given that it was like the earliest big release in the year and like zelda a cool reinvention of an older style in that game's franchise.

also if sonic mania doesnt even get a mention for best soundtrack ill be pissed as hell

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Best Soundtrack goes to Hatsune Miku Project Diva Future Tone

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

elf help book posted:

Best Soundtrack goes to Hatsune Miku Project Diva Future Tone

REFRAIN

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Expect My Mom posted:

hollow knight is the best game released this year

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Expect My Mom posted:

I’m nier camp but this is basically the only other opinion I can understand

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

im not sure if ive played any games released this year

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

trying to jack off posted:

Hatsune Miku Project DIVA Future Tone is remarkable if you get the chance.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

It's on sale now too!

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005

best year we've had in gaming in a long time!!

Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

same

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

PUBG being a top three game of the year is loving retarded. I enjoy that game even but any mechanics it doesnt straight up take from another game are extremely poorly implemented. It deserves notice for being such a huge fad this year, but its literally only popular because braindead kids a d teenagers watch it on twitch all day

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

GotY for the Bombers has never been about being the Best Game, though.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

there's for sure going to be a long debate about nier & it's placing.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Best Game... or Most Game???

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

yea ok posted:

I'm excited for it

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
Nier the top for sure

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

yea ok posted:

agreed I can't think of a category other than the negative ones (worst, most disappoint etc) that it isn't in contention for

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

HORMELCHILI posted:

PUBG being a top three game of the year is loving retarded. I enjoy that game even but any mechanics it doesnt straight up take from another game are extremely poorly implemented. It deserves notice for being such a huge fad this year, but its literally only popular because braindead kids a d teenagers watch it on twitch all day

It's literally an ARMA mod lol

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

yea ok posted:

read this as pacing because you better believe we'll be hearing a lot of that criticism

It had better get a nod in soundtrack

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

tao of lmao posted:

GotY for the Bombers has never been about being the Best Game, though.

They've done pretty good two years in a row now though (mario maker and Hitman)

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

PUBG also beautifully demonstrated how many people are willing to pay for a mod, so enjoy the Games as a Service hellfuture. I shan't be participating.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

its UE4 but its just dayz with a lot of the fat and jankiness cut out, an original idea that people couldnt stfu about refined into something actually playable (and dayz died overnight once pubg picked up steam).

its fun but comparing it to mario, nier etc. is ridiculous

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
only having a kinda lovely laptop keeps me from falling into fail PC gaming, im blessed honestly

In Training posted:

They've done pretty good two years in a row now though (mario maker and Hitman)
this is true, they're on a hot streak

bump_fn posted:

I’m nier camp but this is basically the only other opinion I can understand
i've played so many games this year and man zelda was so good. mario was my #2, but i beat nier last weekend and the more i keep thinking about it, the more i come around on the "If you think nier is better than mario, you're a cop" take

much to think about

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I couldn't really pick a GOTY but I'm also not paid to have to , so I guess it works out

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

The ARMA modding community spawned DayZ, Rust, ARK, PUBG and a bunch of other survival games

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

In a way, it’s actually kind of impressive that a mid-sized modding community for a PC war sim series has been able to do so much damage to gaming as a whole.

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

Lumpy the Cook posted:

In a way, it’s actually kind of impressive that a mid-sized modding community for a PC war sim series has been able to do so much damage to gaming as a whole.

Only Warcraft 3 has spawned greater mod and mod-based calamities, I believe.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Expect My Mom posted:

only having a kinda lovely laptop keeps me from falling into fail PC gaming, im blessed honestly

this is true, they're on a hot streak

i've played so many games this year and man zelda was so good. mario was my #2, but i beat nier last weekend and the more i keep thinking about it, the more i come around on the "If you think nier is better than mario, you're a cop" take

much to think about

thats not what the take was at all
https://twitter.com/MattBodega/status/934535086153723904

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

thank you to the doom, quake and half life modding scenes for being pure strain win

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i liked mario more than nier so i guess i’m a cop

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
idk its prob at least partially cause I never really liked 3d marios anywhere as much as the 2d ones. if an n64 had been my first console maybe it would mean more to me? im not denigrating it at all, odyssey is a real joy to play, I just dont think it was as good as nier

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Edit: nvm misread

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

In Training posted:

I couldn't really pick a GOTY but I'm also not paid to have to , so I guess it works out
this is the rational person's take, but im a crazy person and like try to organize my list and like articulate my thoughts on why i liked some games over others

all the games are good tho and it's cool if you like hollow knight over persona 5 or w/e

lol i mistyped bad, no yeah i think nier might be better than mario
https://twitter.com/packbenpack/status/929758065909362689?lang=en

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Expect My Mom posted:

this is the rational person's take, but im a crazy person and like try to organize my list and like articulate my thoughts on why i liked some gamers over others

all the games are good tho and it's cool if you like hollow knight over persona 5 or w/e

Even if you don't pick a GOTY yourself, you'll have an internal list of GOTY selections you'll understand, and a list you'll think people would be idiots to choose.