Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

MinorInconvenience posted:

Okay, fine. But CIG decided to terminate the license. Then CIG went with someone else (Amazon). The language quoted does not clearly state that CIG could not just stop using CryEngine. That's what I want to see.

I'd move shortly after CIG filed their answer. Might be delayed a bit if CIG can come up with a convincing Fed.R.Civ.P 56(d) argument to delay consideration until after discovery is completed. I dunno.
I wouldn't put it past a judge to go "well I'm not sure I understand whether this 'code' is Crytek or whatever" and defer judgment until there's at least some discovery.

Oh god, this is like that "what's a chicken" question from Frigaliment

edit taxxe:

skadden kittens taking on cig

(unlike cig i rescued it)

kw0134 fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Pharohman777 posted:

Arent there 2 other lawsuits or something waiting in the wings? I think Dereck smart said that.

Yep. Assumption is that one of them is Coutts.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

SKADDEN, PARPS, SLATE, MEAGHER & FLOM

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Milky Moor posted:

The third one is me

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

alphabettitouretti posted:

Great timing on this, just top notch work fellas. I'm sure it's all going to work out for you.

Dear diary, it's the 6th August 1945 and at 8.17am I completed the purchase of my brand new home in the beautiful city of Hiroshima.

Big boom in housing on the horizon. :)

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

peter gabriel posted:

The third one is me

no pgabz!! the courthouse doesn't deserve your anger!!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I heard the next ship sale is going a Xian ship type called La'yrs Ph'ees

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

alphabettitouretti posted:

It's good but it's no Tundra4 or Port Rhombus.

I am loving everyone in this thread right now

I need to crack out the whiskey, I haven't listened to that in loving ages e- Tundra 4

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Yeah. I can tell the firm is for real because their name sounds like something someone made up for a sitcom. Only a badass lawfirm would dare have a name like SKADDEN, ARPS, SLATE, MEAGHER & FLOM. I mean, Flom? That's the real poo poo, right there.

I figured the $75,000 was a floor amount, since they kept saying how the damages were in excess of that number. I was wondering if any more solid figure had actually been mentioned.

$75k is the minimum amount to get into federal court on "diversity" jurisdiction. (I'd explain, but take my word, it's too boring and you don't want to know.)

And you don't gently caress with Joe Flom.

eta: well, you didn't gently caress with Joe Flom until he died back in 2011. Probably still a bad idea.

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
December 13

Never Forget

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Crytek are suing the makers of Star Citizen; CIG call it a "meritless lawsuit"

quote:

Another detail in Crytek’s complaint is that the Game License Agreement stipulates that the splash screen, credits, documentation, and packaging, as well as the marketing materials for Star Citizen needed to include Crytek’s copyright notice and both the Crytek and CryEngine trademarks. You can see in the Gamescom 2016 demo, that CIG and RSI did not follow those directions:

It includes the CryEngine trademark but not Crytek’s.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

gently caress, the thread actually paused long enough for me to read a whole page.

You crazy bastards :argh:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Scruffpuff posted:

I don't think backers have it in their heads yet that CIG is hopelessly outclassed by this company. "Go get 'em, Ortwin!" isn't going to cut it.

From the start, CIG was an anomaly, a cripplingly inept ex-game "developer" CEO propped up by a contingent of mentally damaged man-children. The company itself was barely a parody of a true game development studio; a Potemkin Village of incredible ineptitude and inability in nearly every way; a cargo cult at best. What little they "developed" was a laughable mess and couldn't even be called a tech demo by its most generous definition, since tech demo's typically demonstrate technology: a feat that continues to elude CIG.

This lawsuit isn't some rural part-time lawyer helping some kid get a refund. This is a behemoth of a company with heavy kills notched into its belt - of real companies, not ephemeral wish-fulfillment fantasies like CIG. The Reddit internet-lawyer brigade will not have an effect here, nor will "Go get 'em Ortwin!"

This is likely to turn into a bloodbath in ways we're not even anticipating, or they wouldn't have even looked at this case.

What I can't quite wrap my head around is the reddit brigade piling poo poo on Crytek while the very "game" they adore so much is designed on top of it no matter what label gets tossed on. I'm sure there is some german word for it.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

kw0134 posted:

I wouldn't put it past a judge to go "well I'm not sure I understand whether this 'code' is Crytek or whatever" and defer judgment until there's at least some discovery.

Oh god, this is like that "what's a chicken" question from Frigaliment

You’re right. Lots of judges like to let things linger longer than they should if only because they (a) hope for a settlement so they don’t have to do any work or (b) “appeal-proof” any decision they do make with lots of good facts from discovery and/or trial.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Okay, fine. But CIG decided to terminate the license. Then CIG went with someone else (Amazon). The language quoted does not clearly state that CIG could not just stop using CryEngine. That's what I want to see.

I'd move shortly after CIG filed their answer. Might be delayed a bit if CIG can come up with a convincing Fed.R.Civ.P 56(d) argument to delay consideration until after discovery is completed. I dunno.

Edit: And summary judgment is by motion. Court can’t do it sua sponte. And I’m guessing you know that.

I highly recommend a glass or two of Jamesons and your favourite music in the background and just let all the answers flow out into the screen

That's what I do

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
All you backers reading this better get over to the Star Citizen store, because it is last call for jpegs

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Star Citizen Dev Being Sued By Crytek Over Breach Of Contract And Copyright Infringement

quote:

In the lawsuit, Crytek is looking to reclaim direct damages of around $75,000, along with "indirect damages, consequential damages (including lost profits), special damages, costs, fees, and expenses incurred by reason of Defendants' breach of contract and copyright infringement." Crytek also wants a "permanent injunction" against Cloud Imperium that would prevent the company from using any of Crytek's copyrighted work. Further still, Crytek is looking to claim an amount of Cloud Imperium's profits at trial based on its reported breach of contract and copyright infringement. Additionally, Crytek is seeing punitive damages in the amount to be determined during a trial.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Colostomy Bag posted:

What I can't quite wrap my head around is the reddit brigade piling poo poo on Crytek while the very "game" they adore so much is designed on top of it no matter what label gets tossed on. I'm sure there is some german word for it.

Kognitive Dissonanz

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Roughly9owls/status/941090259042844672

https://twitter.com/alexesther/status/941088896376381441

https://twitter.com/Agentxk/status/941088713253191680

https://twitter.com/MannyGPT/status/941088671008264192

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Over 1k posts in a day. Guys. Girls. For reals.

:justpost:

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

SomethingJones posted:

I highly recommend a glass or two of Jamesons and your favourite music in the background and just let all the answers flow out into the screen

That's what I do

Way ahead of you, my friend. I'm already on my third glass of Gentleman Jack (neat).

Edit: I have my kids tonight. Can't do the parenting poo poo sober....

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Polygon/status/941077411776614400

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Too late lol

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Way ahead of you, my friend. I'm already on my third glass of Gentleman Jack (neat).

Good man, good man, neat is the only and true way

Cheers!

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i just talked to a pretty fancy lawyer and he's not as optimistic about this lawsuit as most. he says sicne the game isn't out and probably won't ever be they basically can't show profits and any money they collect related to the crowdfunding stuff would have to be stipulated in the contract CIG breached. also the permanent injunction only barely maybe stands a chance as it relates to squadron 42 not star citizen because that's all contract breach stuff not copyright infringement stuff

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Skipping ahead a few dozen pages to ask

- if cig is found to have breached their agreement with crytek , would that mean all the money they received from the UK government to make a game be due to be returned ?

Technically it sounds like to me the game they are making is going to be legally poo poo canned , so all that government hand out money would be deemed to not be cigs since they essentially lied to obtain it

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Foo Diddley posted:

Too late lol

Yup, the train has left the platform. Hope you said your goodbyes to your money dreams.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

ZekeNY posted:

$75k is the minimum amount to get into federal court on "diversity" jurisdiction. (I'd explain, but take my word, it's too boring and you don't want to know.)

And you don't gently caress with Joe Flom.

eta: well, you didn't gently caress with Joe Flom until he died back in 2011. Probably still a bad idea.

Well now I don't know about the validity of CryTek's lawsuit.

When you are talking about suing people from beyond the grave obviously the advantage is with Sandi "Lord of the Skeletons" Gardiner. She went to zombie Harvard over 32,000 years ago.

What's this freshdead punkass going to do with his six years in the ground?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Blue On Blue posted:

Skipping ahead a few dozen pages to ask

- if cig is found to have breached their agreement with crytek , would that mean all the money they received from the UK government to make a game be due to be returned ?

Technically it sounds like to me the game they are making is going to be legally poo poo canned , so all that government hand out money would be deemed to not be cigs since they essentially lied to obtain it

Technically, the money goes directly to the bank because from what I remember CIG was just having them pick the money automatically

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

That DICK! posted:

they basically can't show profits

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.

That DICK! posted:

i just talked to a pretty fancy lawyer and he's not as optimistic about this lawsuit as most. he says sicne the game isn't out and probably won't ever be they basically can't show profits and any money they collect related to the crowdfunding stuff would have to be stipulated in the contract CIG breached. also the permanent injunction only barely maybe stands a chance as it relates to squadron 42 not star citizen because that's all contract breach stuff not copyright infringement stuff

Tell your fancy lawyer friend to stop spreading FUD!

PrimeNerd
Dec 17, 2016
Ahahahaha! So they settled the lawsuit about the office construction "stuff" (I bet it was that stupid space door) and then, get hit with a federal suit for Copyright infringement. Ya don goofed Crobbler. Someone should see if Leonard French will do one of his Sunday YouTube things on this. He's an actual copyright attorney, his analysis should be funny stuff.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

SomethingJones posted:

Good man, good man, neat is the only and true way

Cheers!

Prost! and Saluti!

I cannot wait to see what happens next. This is so drat fun.

But I'll call it here. Meritorious or not, this lawsuit is gonna sink Croberts &Co.

God, I hope they file for bankruptcy in SDNY or DE.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Prost! and Saluti!

I cannot wait to see what happens next. This is so drat fun.

But I'll call it here. Meritorious or not, this lawsuit is gonna sink Croberts &Co.

God, I hope they file for bankruptcy in SDNY or DE.

Sláinte!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

a massive death-blow lawsuit has really been the shot in the arm that the thread needed

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/12/crytek-sues-star-citizen-makers-for-breaching-contract/

quote:

The complaint alleges that CIG used Crytek's engine for another game (the standalone module Squadron 42), failed to collaborate, and shared Crytek's code with other parties, breaking confidentiality agreements. (Those other parties, according to the lawsuit, include a series of public videos called Bugsmashers and a third-party technology company called Faceware.)

Star Citizen is undone due to Face Over IP. Incredible

If this mob was going to fall apart over anything, it'd be the most extravagant and useless feature-promise they never actually included in the game

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Milky Moor posted:

If the world were a just place the moron who approved the loan at Coutts is fired

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

PrimeNerd posted:

Ahahahaha! So they settled the lawsuit about the office construction "stuff" (I bet it was that stupid space door) and then, get hit with a federal suit for Copyright infringement. Ya don goofed Crobbler. Someone should see if Leonard French will do one of his Sunday YouTube things on this. He's an actual copyright attorney, his analysis should be funny stuff.

No. That lawsuit predates the door and comes from around the time they moved offices.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Nice choice. Wait til they hit the teen years, you'll be ordering booze by the pallet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

That DICK! posted:

Eh. Maybe. But the damages awarded (if any) isn't what will kill CIG. The litigation costs alone likely will. It's loving Skadden Arps. As much as I hate those fuckers, they can throw an army at you.

Just remember, modern American litigation is no different that the old "trial by combat" of the medieval times. Just instead of muscles and sword skills, it's intelligence and oratorical skills. Skadden is the 7' armor-clad badass going after the 50 pound midget here.