Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

boner confessor posted:

“THE S.W.E.A.T. PLEDGE”
(Skill & Work Ethic Aren’t Taboo)

1. I believe that I have won the greatest lottery of all time. I am alive. I walk the Earth. I live in America. Above all things, I am grateful.

2. I believe that I am entitled to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Nothing more. I also understand that “happiness” and the “pursuit of happiness” are not the same thing.

3. I believe there is no such thing as a “bad job.” I believe that all jobs are opportunities, and it’s up to me to make the best of them.

4. I do not “follow my passion.” I bring it with me. I believe that any job can be done with passion and enthusiasm.

5. I deplore debt, and do all I can to avoid it. I would rather live in a tent and eat beans than borrow money to pay for a lifestyle I can’t afford.

6. I believe that my safety is my responsibility. I understand that being in “compliance” does not necessarily mean I’m out of danger.

7. I believe the best way to distinguish myself at work is to show up early, stay late, and cheerfully volunteer for every crappy task there is.

8. I believe the most annoying sounds in the world are whining and complaining. I will never make them. If I am unhappy in my work, I will either find a new job, or find a way to be happy.

9. I believe that my education is my responsibility, and absolutely critical to my success. I am resolved to learn as much as I can from whatever source is available to me. I will never stop learning, and understand that library cards are free.

10. I believe that I am a product of my choices – not my circumstances. I will never blame anyone for my shortcomings or the challenges I face. And I will never accept the credit for something I didn’t do.

11. I understand the world is not fair, and I’m OK with that. I do not resent the success of others.

12. I believe that all people are created equal. I also believe that all people make choices. Some choose to be lazy. Some choose to sleep in. I choose to work my butt off.

On my honor, I hereby affirm the above statements to be an accurate summation of my personal worldview. I promise to live by them.

Signed_______________________________________ Dated____________________

that was endorsed by this man, who definitely works his fingers to the bone very hard in a blue collar vocation and would never dare to complain or grumble about a lovely job

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rChjMRfi40c

If you don't buy this, don't sign it, but I don't think you need to hold it against the guy. Can't you disagree with parts of things without writing someone off entirely? I get it, there are shades of libertarianism and bootstraps in there, but so what? You can acknowledge that there are systemic cultural and institutional factors which are beyond one's control, but responsibility still matters, and I think we are remiss if we ignore that. Capitalism can suck, exploitation is real, but hard work can also lead to more happiness than laziness.

Rowe goes out of his way to shine a light on unglorified and unappreciated but critically necessary jobs. That's valuable. To anyone that liked him, you still can.

Anyone got an alternative pledge they would prefer to offer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

But seriously the IRS needs to look into that. And the oversight committee.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ReidRansom posted:

Either accrued leave or they just don't give a gently caress about rules like the rest of us have to. Once you're in the club, get paid to do nothing, etc. Flip a coin, really.

I would love to see an anti-government "fraud, waste, and abuse!!! :argh: " type use this as a baseline for a suit against the White House.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

cochise posted:

From earlier

https://twitter.com/BrookeBCNN/status/941038377310277632

Basically Omarosa played the role of Auriga ( :v: ) for Trump. She would sometimes remind Trump that not everyone loved him and that many were pissed at his administration. Kelly had enough as it would change Trump's mood and the rest of the WH staff couldn't stand to be around when it happened.

oh my god this is such juicy goss.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hobo Erotica posted:

See: F.D.R's Four Freedoms

Also, Communist Manifesto

UBI or bust

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

JBP posted:

Is there a good repository of internet meltdowns from last night floating around?

https://twitter.com/JacobAWohl/status/941096193538473984

Please pardon me.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Straight White Shark posted:

"Locked in" in the sense that they already have their health plan for 2018 and their insurer can't retroactively change the agreed-upon premiums in response to price pressure from people dropping out, which was the scenario the poster was asking about.

Oh good point. Yeah, some risk of that (and Trump's dumb cancellation of cost sharing) is priced in but you bet your britches insurers are screaming bloody murder through their lobbyists.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

My feeling is that Grassley and a few other senators came to their loving senses and realized that there's no need to allow such hilariously unqualified idiots who will be used against them for years when they try to whine about a future Dem appointee, there is no shortage of goose-stepping idiots with a better resume that will be slightly less embarrassing to confirm, and there's plenty of time for someone else to get nominated and confirmed.

The two that got pulled were hilariously, historically bad and they were for district court positions, there was no need to bother stuffing them asap.

They had already confirmed at least one of them earlier this year, despite the Bar Association rating them as 'Lol No' beforehand. It was well known at the committee hearing that the guy had only graduated form law school three years ago and had never tried a case in his life. That level of unqualified was apparently still good enough for a confirmation on a party line vote. It reached the media and got a bit of traction, then it came out that the guy had forgotten to mention that he was married to the WH Counsel's chief of staff shortly after it left committee. Even that wasn't enough to get Grassley to take the confirmation back. Now it appears that the guy is a huge racist, but well, that hasn't been a disqualifying issue in the DoJ previously and certainly not under Confederate General Jefferson Beauregarde Sessions. My guess is that there's something else going on in the background with the DoJ/WH generally and Grassley for some reason is getting leant on.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Hobo Erotica posted:

If you don't buy this, don't sign it, but I don't think you need to hold it against the guy. Can't you disagree with parts of things without writing someone off entirely? I get it, there are shades of libertarianism and bootstraps in there, but so what? You can acknowledge that there are systemic cultural and institutional factors which are beyond one's control, but responsibility still matters, and I think we are remiss if we ignore that. Capitalism can suck, exploitation is real, but hard work can also lead to more happiness than laziness.

Rowe goes out of his way to shine a light on unglorified and unappreciated but critically necessary jobs. That's valuable. To anyone that liked him, you still can.

I pledge that I will continue to discredit Mike Rowe, as he is a parasitic bootstrappin' fuckboi, and the personal responsibility doctrine espoused by Rowe is complete horseshit, because he opposes the rights of said underappreciated workers to be compensated fairly for their labour.

El Pollo Blanco fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 14, 2017

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

No really, who are the Marion three? I've never heard of that all, and I thought I heard all the whacked out right wing conspiracy theories. Is /pol just posting as the riddler now?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Party Plane Jones posted:

this is inspiring as gently caress

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Lol RIP Mike Rowe. Apparently institutionalized racism and sexism don't exist, ya just gotta bootstrap yourself up!

Also, all those sexually assaulted women should just stop complaining because life isn't fair.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

evilweasel posted:

hahahahaha that is a great loving tweet, someone in the secret service must have loving hated her

"all of the rumors in the press are false, on this one detail. the rest are true, of course"

:allears:

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Hobo Erotica posted:

Most of it is meaningless motivational poster stuff, but there's some real obnoxious stuff at the end:

quote:

10. I believe that I am a product of my choices – not my circumstances. I will never blame anyone for my shortcomings or the challenges I face. And I will never accept the credit for something I didn’t do.

This is garbage. Some people work hard all their lives and get hosed by circumstances entirely out of their control. Others are born rich and skate through life without ever lifting a finger. Leading to:

quote:

11. I understand the world is not fair, and I’m OK with that. I do not resent the success of others.

Major success tends to come from the oppression of others. The US became incredibly wealthy through outright slavery. The major financial institutions are run by literal criminals who only avoid consequences of their actions as a result of political corruption. These people absolutely deserve any resentment that comes their way, and the inherently unfair nature of their ill-gotten gains shouldn't be accepted as a matter of principle.

quote:

12. I believe that all people are created equal. I also believe that all people make choices. Some choose to be lazy. Some choose to sleep in. I choose to work my butt off.

All people are not created equal. Mike Rowe was a TV salesman who lucked out, got his own show, and now attributes that success to some aspect of his being that's inherently more deserving than all those lazy moochers who slack off all day. gently caress him.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

AriadneThread posted:

how can she still be working until the 20th with no credentials

Narrrator: "She isn't."

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Hobo Erotica posted:

"There is no such thing as a bad job" says man who was fired by QVC three times for disobeying orders from management.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Yeah but those places have much higher minimum wages. The minimum for a barman in Australia is like 20$ an hour as a casual employee (although there's shitloads of places that break the law). US wait staff get like half that at best.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Hobo Erotica posted:

Holy poo poo you are actually defending that pledge? Every single point on it is a loving capitalist wet dream.

#5 "Don't get in debt the way I borrowed the money required to start this business."
#6 "Guardrails cost too much"
#7 "Give me free labor because"
#9 "Note to self: get the libraries closed because they take my tax dollars."
#10 "gently caress you I won the vagina lottery"
#11 "No seriously, gently caress you I won the vagina lottery"

I'll cover #12 separately since you seem to believe that. The people who work hardest make the least.. When you need to hold down 3 jobs just to survive, you're working a hell of a lot harder than the "successful" 8-4 banker.

The only thing this list is good for is to read out as a summary of crimes committed against the people before the blade drops.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

It's like he was born to get his teeth smashed in with a claw hammer.

I really hope he dies.

Unmarked graves.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

This looks like it is from one of their new conspiracy/The_Donald subreddits CalmBeforeTheStorm

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

TulliusCicero posted:

No really, who are the Marion three?

Black people that helped other black people vote (like physically helped blind/illiterate people write their vote). Probably in a way that was probably not entirely legal but 1000% totally benign. It ended up as being racist people's proof forever and ever that black people are out there faking every election forever. It was also jeff sessions that did the trial on it which went no where but was very intentionally a "we are loving your life up forever' trial for them.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

TulliusCicero posted:

No really, who are the Marion three? I've never heard of that all, and I thought I heard all the whacked out right wing conspiracy theories. Is /pol just posting as the riddler now?

Jeff Sessions tried to prosecute three African American community leaders for conspiracy to commit voting fraud in Alabama back in the 80s and fell flat on his dumb racist keebler face.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/alexweprin/status/941103695072256000

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Rowe doesn't seem significantly worse to me than like 80% of white men, particularly successful ones. If you can function in society, it seems like you can find your way to tolerating him if you want to.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Most of that pledge wouldn't be "that" bad if it was clear that it only applied to people who benefit from a heavy privilege.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

:stonk: holy gently caress :stonk:

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Office Pig posted:

It's like he was born to get his teeth smashed in with a claw hammer.

I really hope he dies.

Unmarked graves.

Scott Pruitt is probably the most damaging member of this administration in real terms, but I absolutely can't stand this loving dink. Fundamental changes to the freedom and structure of the internet coming from some dipshit who still needs to have his head dunked in a toilet as a grown adult.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

PerniciousKnid posted:

Rowe doesn't seem significantly worse to me than like 80% of white men, particularly successful ones. If you can function in society, it seems like you can find your way to tolerating him if you want to.

Sure, but why should we have to tolerate him and his lovely views?

Aramis posted:

Most of that pledge wouldn't be "that" bad if it was clear that it only applied to people who benefit from a heavy privilege.

Problem is Rowe doesn't believe in privilege.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Hobo Erotica posted:

i do like nazis

:thunk:

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Hobo Erotica posted:

I get it, there are shades of libertarianism and bootstraps in there
shades? That thing is the FYGM manifesto.

It's sugar coated because it's worded in ennobling 1st person affirmations. But if you strongly believe in those points then you are probably going to teach/instruct others to share those same values. It's total bullshit that something like this is for everyone's individual preference or not, take it or leave it. This kind of thing will circulate because it sounds so sensible and good, and then it becomes a club to beat down people who reject it.

It's meant to be instructive, so let's rewrite it in 2nd person and see how it scans:

quote:

“THE S.W.E.A.T. PLEDGE”
(Skill & Work Ethic Aren’t Taboo)

1. You have won the greatest lottery of all time. You are alive. You walk the Earth. You live in America. Above all things, you should be grateful.

2. You are entitled to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Nothing more. Also understand that “happiness” and the “pursuit of happiness” are not the same thing.

3. There is no such thing as a “bad job.” All jobs are opportunities, and it’s up to you to make the best of them.

4. You do not “follow your passion.” You bring it with you. Any job can be done with passion and enthusiasm.

5. Deplore debt, and do all you can to avoid it. You should live in a tent and eat beans rather than borrow money to pay for a lifestyle you can’t afford.

6. Your safety is your responsibility. Being in “compliance” does not necessarily mean you're out of danger.

7. The best way to distinguish yourself at work is to show up early, stay late, and cheerfully volunteer for every crappy task there is.

8. The most annoying sounds in the world are whining and complaining. Never make them. If you are unhappy in your work, either find a new job, or find a way to be happy.

9. Your education is your responsibility, and absolutely critical to your success. Learn as much as you can from whatever source is available to you. Never stop learning, and understand that library cards are free.

10. You are a product of your choices – not your circumstances. Never blame anyone for your shortcomings or the challenges you face. And never accept the credit for something you didn’t do.

11. The world is not fair, and that's OK. Do not resent the success of others.

12. All people are created equal. all people make choices. Some choose to be lazy. Some choose to sleep in. Choose to work your butt off.

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 14, 2017

jonboy8871
Sep 25, 2003
What the deuce?

TulliusCicero posted:

Albert Turner, Spencer Hogue, and Evelyn Turner. Three African American voting rights activists from Marion, Alabama who Sessions attempted to prosecute in the 80s on trumped up voter fraud charges.

edit: I have no idea what their significance is in the context of that post, though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

That's how we bully people in the Aus thread.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Bhaal posted:

shades? That thing is the FYGM manifesto.

It's sugar coated because it's worded in ennobling 1st person affirmations. But if you strongly believe in those points then you are probably going to teach/instruct others to share those same values. It's total bullshit that something like this is for everyone's individual preference or not, take it or leave it. This kind of thing will circulate because it sounds so sensible and good, and then it becomes a club to beat down people who reject it.

It's meant to be instructive, so let's rewrite it in 2nd person and see how it scans:

loving l o l

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Let's see if Breitbart calmed down

-
NEWS FLASH BOMBSHELL : Try and understand this was the greatest Christian conservative/ Vietnam war hero ever ran in a election !

He was falsely accused of child molestation 30 days before voting day

Jesus Christ was falsely accused tortured and murdered but did JESUS LOOSE ? ( Don't answer this wrong by the way your soul depends on it ). NO JESUS WON !

GOD has said satan is the ruler of this world ! satan soon will put the anti christ 666 on tbe throne of tbe European Union and he will destroy humanity it's written ! It's the future !

Roy Moore is a soldier of Jesus Christ and tbe ones that's falsely accused him and assasinated his character as he fought for everything that was good and of GOD has betrayed their SOULS

Hell is where you satanist that stand for the murder of unborn children, adulterers, gay marriage and transgenderism is going !! They will be weeping and knashing of teeth from your great torment and you will never be given rest day or night for all eternity! Has GOD NOT promised you wicked satanist this ?

You are disciples of satan like Doug jones ! Stay the way you are !

In addition, we all know this election was rigged , if there is a RECOUNT the truth will be discovered !
-
It must feel good to jones that most of his voters are high school dropouts, and the cream of the crop that never had any formal education other than high school. In other words the people most likely to buy swamp land in the Florida Everglades. But as Trump says 'a win is a win '.
-
RINO's pushed it over.

The entitlement (black) voters of Alabama came out to support their welfare state. We have impoverished America forever with LBJ's War on Poverty. As Johnson knew and stated: "This will keep the ni__ers on the plantation."

Good work, democrats, for keeping blacks on drugs and dependent members of society. You destroyed your own with your thirst for your power and greed.
-

This wasn't really a defeat for Trump - It was a defeat for America.

This is not just a defeat for Moore and those that support him - It's a defeat for America. One more vote in the Senate for the globalist Uni-Party. We Americans will be less safe from terrorism, less prosperous economically, unborn babies will be in greater jeaprody, our borders will be less secure, this one-world no-borders creeping socialism has a stronger foothold now. Jones, it's safe to say, will be voting the liberal Schumer/Pelosi party line. Ponder all of this, Alabama. Spurious 30 to 40 year old allegations initiated by the Washington Post and Gloria Allred got you to vote against America's best interests. A good man, honorable judge, and West Point graduate was defamed and wrongly branded a pedophile. You didn't have to deliberately vote for Jones to accomplish this Alabama. Staying at home, writing in other candidates names instead of the party nominee worked just as effectively as voting for Jones. Tuesday, Dec. 12 was a dark day for America and it's citizens. Hopefully those of us who believe in America First and MAGA will learn from this and move on to future victories - the battle is not over. We lost this one to George Soros and the Bezos WaPo, but winning one battle does not win a war. It's a wake up call to a lot of as to how powerful the forces arrayed against us are, and in that regard Moore did quite well (almost 50%) considering the scorched-earth political hit smear campaign waged against him. This is essentially the DC Swamp fighting back and pulling out all the stops - they can ruin you no matter what good you have done - Moore is obviously a Godly man who has given years of public service. And the fact that the Uni-Party Soros/Bezos/WaPo backed leftist candidate can win in a supposedly conservative state should give anyone an idea of their power. MAGA

OK Republican this was the show down. Personally I think it is wise going forward to support the Republicans in office and encourage them to do the very best for the American people. Lets see what the republicans can do with the support of conservatives. Everyone knows the Democrat platform isn't the right direction for our country, it just is not. The Republican president and the republican congress need our support. Lets put our efforts into getting other republicans leaders into congress. 
Last night was a big set back to the republican party. I just pray that the Trump agenda will be OK.
-
Republicans band together and no more dissension. Stay focused and Make America Great Again. The Democrat agenda is not the way. We don't have a beef with Steve Bannon, we don't have a beef with Mcconnel. I think people objected when Mitch McConnel over reached and was trying to influence an election. We see now that is how politics work. There was a lot of outside money given on behalf of the democrat candidate Doug Jones. Lets start grooming promising conservatives that have a vision that is compatible with "Make America Great Again." I think candidates are going to have be vetted inside, outside, upside down. Ask them straight out if they have any skeletons in the closet. If they are promising then make sure those skeletons are transparent way before show down so the Democrats don't have a opportunity to use a cards out of their sleazy deck of tricks.
-
The Alabama Supreme Court decided 24 hours before the stolen election, to NOT keep electronic vote records.The Reddit page (on bringing in black Mississippians to vote for Doug Jones) also tells you that there were concrete plans to steal the election. People who were voting by mail, said that they never received their ballots, etc. Alabamians who witnessed anything suspicious should come forward NOW, or forget about ever having fair elections in the future. The Swamp "won" this one, people--unless you stand up for truth and justice right now.
-
The illiterate Afro women turned out in huge numbers for the Jones-Clinton operatives. Whites did not turn out in large numbers.
-
Blame whoever you want, if this is the direction America is going it's strait to Marxist oblivion!
-

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Hmm.

https://twitter.com/TexasMonthly/status/941106054347350016

Not sure if excellent idea or too soon

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

What's Jacob Wohl's story, anyways?

He seems to always be the top responder to Trump tweets and seems to act faster than the bots do.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Bhaal posted:

i vaguely remember this written another way in 1940s germany

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Snuffman posted:

What's Jacob Whol's story, anyways?

He seems to always be the top responder to Trump tweets and seems to act faster than the bots do.

"Please pardon me for my criminal activities Herr Trump I won't last a day in the clink."

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

PT6A posted:

It depends. If you work at an expensive, regularly busy restaurant, you can make a lot of money in tips, even if people are only tipping 15% or something. It's not even remotely unskilled labour, and it's not something you'd necessarily do only if you had no other options. That's fairly demeaning to career waiters.

Saying 'if you don't like it, leave' is the part that was loving awful. It's entirely possible to be a skilled, valued waiter/waitress that makes a living, but that's not who we're talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I want him to run but nobody is gonna waltz through the primary without a fight in 2020.

• Locked thread