Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Rad Russian posted:

We'll know more soon but as others haven mentioned they were hoping that either a) Crytek goes under or b) Their game comes out two weeks from now and generates $500 million in sales and they buy the rest of crytek with it. Neither has happened.

Also lawsuit can't be frivolous because of the firm involved. Skadden wouldn't take on a case without doing a lot of research and seeing $25 million+ settlement ahead.

If CIG actually IS insolvent as Derek claims, then not only they go down but Crytek as well. Because Crytek won't be able to recover the legal fees which will be $10-15 million after all is said and done. And Crytek is barely hanging on as is.

Croberts will annihilate two companies with his incompetence. It's glorious. Everyone who touched the poop will get hosed. Except the lawyers who will make a lot of money, of course.

No, it means that if Crytek wins - as I expect they would - on ANY of their claims, they will own EVERYTHING related to this ENTIRE project as part of their collection efforts.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

ewe2 posted:

A most astute observation from the Frontier forums:

Any comment from legal Goons? You'd think a termination clause would be absolutely necessary at a serious point of development. Well no, this is Chris Roberts.

Well I am no lawyer but I have pieces of ham in my fridge that I would employ to defend me in court before that embalmed, perma grinning gonad.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Dusty Lens posted:

If none of these gaming outlets makes a jokes about transitioning from spacesuits to lawsuits I'm going to be pretty upset.

:laffo::laffo:

----------------

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

D_Smart posted:

No, it means that if Crytek wins - as I expect they would - on ANY of their claims, they will own EVERYTHING related to this ENTIRE project as part of their collection efforts.

What are the odds that Crytek releases "Citizen of the Stars" in two years and saves their business?

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

thatguy posted:

How much does Ortwin's book cost?
Derek I know what you're getting for Christmas.
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/di...n=9783540157281

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Publication date: 09/27/1985
Pages: 60

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

alf_pogs posted:

also a very professionally made diy garage door

I already called Dibs on the door made from old ply-wood and an old antique door opener. :grin:

3.0 Jesus Patch posted:

my garage door opener is on it's last legs, hopefully CiG defaults quickly that way i can get dibbs on they're garage door opener with a few bits of plywood that was just lying around for cheap.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

thatguy posted:

How much does Ortwin's book cost?

$64.54 at Amazon

I don't speak German, but it looks like entertainment law.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SpaceCurtisLeMay posted:

If you are named in a suit, you can technically defend yourself, but only a fool does that. I co-founded a company and the first year served as General Counsel. Most of the work I did was writing policies, general contract review, and mostly filing patent and trademark related stuff (I was an IP attorney). Any major contracts went to our outside counsel at either Thompson Coburn or Bryan Cave. We never ended up in any litigation, but we had Bryan Cave on retainer in case that ever did happen as well as handling our international contracts. About two years in I took over at CEO and went to inactive status on my bar license. I was not a practicing attorney at that point and all our legal stuff was handled by Thompson Coburn before I sold the company.

Ortwin’s mentioned as having priveleged information as well as the Crytek side of the GLA they reference in Carl Jones. Like very specifically mentioned to give the impression of bad faith.

They need adults. This is not a frivolous lawsuit.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

thatguy posted:

Derek I know what you're getting for Christmas.
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/di...n=9783540157281

Say what you want about old coffin dwelling Ortwin but the guy comes up with some catchy book titles

"Die Vervielfältigung von Filmen durch Hochschulen und ihre Einrichtungen: Rechtliche Probleme untersucht am Beispiel des IWF-Filmverleihs"

Rolls off the tongue

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

Well I am no lawyer but I have pieces of ham in my fridge that I would employ to defend me in court before that embalmed, perma grinning gonad.

peter gabriel posted:

Say what you want about old coffin dwelling Ortwin but the guy comes up with some catchy book titles

"Die Vervielfältigung von Filmen durch Hochschulen und ihre Einrichtungen: Rechtliche Probleme untersucht am Beispiel des IWF-Filmverleihs"

Rolls off the tongue

His other publication was on copyright. Irony bonus.

Edit: hat’s off, Derek, that was pretty amazing. Looking forward to the next drop.

Saitek?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Now Crobbles can shitcan the company to get money to appease the law dogs and take the remaining money he's squirreled away to the hills telling everybody that the game would have been perfect if not for that pesky lawsuit.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

ewe2 posted:

A most astute observation from the Frontier forums:

Any comment from legal Goons? You'd think a termination clause would be absolutely necessary at a serious point of development. Well no, this is Chris Roberts.
Well it'd be an obvious thing to include, and it's not like the entertainment industry has never had any problems arising from perpetual licenses, so of course they left it out.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

D_Smart posted:

JUDGE: “I find for the plaintiff and do hereby award them the largest pile of engineering debts in gaming history in addition to CIG’s toxic gaming community and their attendant dysfunctions and hopeless expectations.”

PROSECUTING ATTORNEY: “Wait! No!”

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

G0RF posted:

JUDGE: “I find for the plaintiff and do hereby award them the largest pile of engineering debts in gaming history in addition to CIG’s toxic gaming community and their attendant dysfunctions and hopeless expectations.”

Crytek dev: "Man I wish we could get back at those CIG motherfuckers"

*monkey paw curls a finger*

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

D_Smart posted:

I wonder if they get all of the assets but none of the obligations to release anything.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I don't know anything about anything but I have a feeling that movie copyright law from three decades ago and videogame engine copyright law from today might differ a bit.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

:laffo::laffo:
:five::five::five:

----------------

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Star Citizen: Out of the Xi'An Pan, Into the Pyre

Featuring the London Symphony Orchestra playing the Star Citizen Anthem (in A Minor, in honor of Fuzzy Modem)

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

G0RF posted:

You're forgetting the rights to the likeness of Gary Oldman playing an old angry thumb.

I mean maybe Dreamworks can spin a movie out of that.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

thatguy posted:

Publication date: 09/27/1985
Pages: 60

Kevin Minnick looks a lot like Adm Bekhar :rip: in glasses.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

XK posted:

Just lol that mspaint scribble is now highly likely to be a critical piece of evidence in a lawsuit.

“Your honor, I’d like to introduce to the court this piece of evidence. This is a jpeg of our jpeg system and how it proves everyone is wrong except us. Because we

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Scruffpuff posted:

Star Citizen: Out of the Xi'An Pan, Into the Pyre

Featuring the London Symphony Orchestra playing the Star Citizen Anthem (in A Minor, for Fuzzy Modem)

Ho, boy.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

The Titanic posted:

“Your honor, I’d like to introduce to the court this piece of evidence. This is a jpeg of our jpeg system and how it proves everyone is wrong except us. Because we

:lol::lol::lol:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
CryTek: 'So if we win we get everything?'
Lawyer:'yup'
CryTek: 'Assets, rights, all of it?'
Lawer: 'yup, even their web site lol'
CryTek: 'and, and erm, their customers?'
Lawyer: 'yup, their customers, community, all of it'
CryTek: 'commm, community?'
Lawyer: Yes your honour our client would like to drop the case

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/941123296908795905

----------------

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

XK posted:

Just lol that mspaint scribble is now highly likely to be a critical piece of evidence in a lawsuit.

what

thats not how code works

thats not how anything works

what

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pull out thread, pull out.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

XK posted:

It would be funnier to submit the Back to the Future edition.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

*points fancy camera at face*

:vince:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

turn off the TV posted:

Actually, you can download the CryEngine for free off of their website, so CIG has done nothing wrong by redistributing what was already free.

No, I haven't read the terms of service, why do you ask?

Sounds iron clad to me

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I read the news today, oh boy
Crytek is suing CIG for contract breach
And Derek Smart was oh so glad
And I just had to laugh
I saw the funding graph

Cig went straight to damage control;
But what they said implicated them even more
Reddit jumped straight to CIG's defense
And said they'd pledge some more
Chris has got the money, now he's running straight out of the door

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Major Tom on a tear.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I look forward to the wonders that await us tomorrow.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I wonder if they get all of the assets but none of the obligations to release anything.

that's how it usually goes, i'd think

backers, ie "insecured debtors" have $170m in the project that's likely mostly gone
coutts has their loan for like 5m or whatever
crytek sues and wins for 30m

cig goes out of business, remaining contents of the company valued at $10m
coutts probably gets their collateral if they don't call in the loan tomorrow
crytek gets the rest
backers get zilch

rip cig

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
IT'S

HAPPENING

DOT

GIF

:gizz:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Xaerael posted:

I read the news today, oh boy
Crytek is suing CIG for contract breach
And Derek Smart was oh so glad
And I just had to laugh
I saw the funding graph

Cig went straight to damage control;
But what they said implicated them even more
Reddit jumped straight to CIG's defense
And said they'd pledge some more
Chris has got the money, now he's running straight out of the door

And in the end, the money you take is equal to the jpegs you make.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Golli posted:

$64.54 at Amazon

I don't speak German, but it looks like entertainment law.

Sounds legit - the way he does law is loving entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

thatguy posted:

I don't know anything about anything but I have a feeling that movie copyright law from three decades ago and videogame engine copyright law from today might differ a bit.

The price of cocaine has gone up at least.