Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Mustached Demon posted:

I doubt that unless Mueller gives zero fucks and hasn't kept that door open.

I'm saying I don't think any Republican who would be involved would have that kind of a moral compass. poo poo I don't even think uninvolved but in the know Republicans have that kind of a moral compass. They joked about Rohrabacher in private then tried to keep that poo poo secret.

edit: No dogs. Instead, a fun fact: Roy Moore still has not tweeted since polls closed in Alabama.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Calaveron posted:

I mean isn’t Mueller’s team like the creme de la creme of the cream of the crop of the best of the best of lawyers and poo poo? Like people who know absolutely everything they need to know to do their job successfully, versus the WH’s team of guys who look and act like 80’s comedic action movie villains
And isn’t what happened last night a clear, concise sign that Trump is if not a very obvious drag on the party now, at least highly vulnerable

Yeah if you read the long bios of Mueller's people it's basically the Justice League of prosecutors. They each have a special superpower and everything.

The cleanest-living person on the planet would be rightly afraid of that crew. They have access to information you can't even imagine, and they don't make mistakes. The best thing I heard so far was that the Capitol power players had approximately one minute's notice before the Flynn plea hit the news wire. That poo poo is terrifying.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Mantis42 posted:

I don't think repeating the Saturday Night Massacre is going to go the way they think. Nixon had just won a landslide reelection, his approval rating at the beginning of 1973 was just under 70%. He couldn't survive it, and Trump won't. Sure, they have Congress - for now. But the percentage of the population who hates Trump? That 60% of the country? They won't just "Strongly Disapprove", they will actively jump aboard the Impeachment Bandwagon. The few 'moderate' GOPers like Romney and Flake, who still are willing to criticize Trump, would probably see the way the wind is blowing and bring out the knives too.

Half-hearted Devil's Advocate stuff since I want to believe:

1) Nixon didn't have Fox News, extreme talk radio, or online disinformation to support him.

2) Will we be able to trust mainstream corporate media to drive the story as far as it can go?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

mdemone posted:

Yeah if you read the long bios of Mueller's people it's basically the Justice League of prosecutors. They each have a special superpower and everything.

The cleanest-living person on the planet would be rightly afraid of that crew. They have access to information you can't even imagine, and they don't make mistakes. The best thing I heard so far was that the Capitol power players had approximately one minute's notice before the Flynn plea hit the news wire. That poo poo is terrifying.

We'll see if any of that matters. The end of any semblance of the rule of law is far closer than could have been imagined a decade ago.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Brony Car posted:

1) Nixon didn't have Fox News, extreme talk radio, or online disinformation to support him.

2) Will we be able to trust mainstream corporate media to drive the story as far as it can go?

re: #2, the special counsel sharing significant evidence that would unavoidably move congress toward a meaningful impeachment hearing would drive ratings like a motherfucker. they wants this poo poo as badly as we do.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

mdemone posted:

Every time you guys wax poetic about Mueller's team, I think about this scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOmpLholhvI

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

skylined! posted:

re: #2, the special counsel sharing significant evidence that would unavoidably move congress toward a meaningful impeachment hearing would drive ratings like a motherfucker. they wants this poo poo as badly as we do.

What evidence would do that before Democrats can retake the chambers?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

TGLT posted:

I'm saying I don't think any Republican who would be involved would have that kind of a moral compass. poo poo I don't even think uninvolved but in the know Republicans have that kind of a moral compass. They joked about Rohrabacher in private then tried to keep that poo poo secret.

I'm more talking about "see something say something" where a particular republican isn't involved but knows. Even if snitchings just self preservation come election time.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

i'm sure you don't need me to speculate; i think the better question is what would be classified as 'meaningful' impeachment hearings. just the democrats in the house? how many republicans would need to sign on for it to really move the needle, even if it failed to reach two thirds?

i'm still holding hope that the sexual assault allegations are going to fly out of left field and do him in. it'd just be too perfect, what with time's person of the year and all. (also, ya know, justice)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

mdemone posted:

The wikipedia page is hilarious because the accurate list of facts is indistinguishable from an article dunking on trump

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Brony Car posted:

Every time you guys wax poetic about Mueller's team, I think about this scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOmpLholhvI

Maybe it was in the CSPAM thread but someone spoofed that exchange with Carter Page as the Marcus Brody role. It was extremely pleasing.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

mdemone posted:

Maybe it was in the CSPAM thread but someone spoofed that exchange with Carter Page as the Marcus Brody role. It was extremely pleasing.

that was in this thread! and it was beautiful

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008

skylined! posted:

Yeah if you guys thought that CNN oversold the horse race narrative to boost ratings in 2016, just wait until they smell blood in the water about an impeachment trial. Clinton's impeachment was, at the time, the highest single rated event in Fox News history.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

literally the '85 bears vs the evil kid team from the mid 90's hit movie little giants

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

for people suddenly even more worried about Mueller being fired, today Rosenstein made it clearer than ever before that they have to fire him as well. there's no way out without a saturday night massacre and he's making sure everyone knows that.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The wikipedia page is hilarious because the accurate list of facts is indistinguishable from an article dunking on trump

It's insane how many exceptionally capable people Mueller has brought aboard. I've said it before and I'll say it again, but this poo poo is going to be quite literally going into the textbooks, both for the sheer amount of poo poo from such an incredible height that is coming down on the administration, and for the ridiculous level of discipline he's maintained over his team.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

We want the Democrats to win first so we get President Pelosi instead of Ryan

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Trump's defense team is, uh, a little less impressive than Mueller's.
"John M Doad: leader of the team"

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Farchanter posted:

Yeah if you guys thought that CNN oversold the horse race narrative to boost ratings in 2016, just wait until they smell blood in the water about an impeachment trial. Clinton's impeachment was, at the time, the highest single rated event in Fox News history.
I'd like to point out that, at the time, Fox News was like a year old so highest ratings was probably a low bar to clear, but yeah.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

ekeog posted:

for people suddenly even more worried about Mueller being fired, today Rosenstein made it clearer than ever before that they have to fire him as well. there's no way out without a saturday night massacre and he's making sure everyone knows that.

That's sort of why it'd be really funny if Trump did do just that.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Donald.Trump.Cannot.Fire.Mueller.

He'd have to replace Rosenstein and I don't think Kelly will let him pull that trigger. The right wing might be more thoroughly brain-washed than when Nixon was around (thanks to Fox News being created by a Nixon stooge) but firing Mueller doesn't save Trump, it just makes things worse because the moment the Dems take either chamber guess who's being brought back with a vengeance?

Pakled posted:

If Ryan stepped down, who the hell would take that job? Could the Republicans agree on a HFC guy? Would it just end up getting thrust upon some random backbencher? Would they take the extra-hilarious route of electing someone who isn't a member of the House speaker?

Either the GOP would cave and appoint some HFC rear end in a top hat to it, or some of them would go insane and back Pelosi as Speaker even though it'd end their political careers. Ryan had to be talked/threatened in to it and even he's long since realized that was a terrible decision.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Mister Adequate posted:

It's insane how many exceptionally capable people Mueller has brought aboard. I've said it before and I'll say it again, but this poo poo is going to be quite literally going into the textbooks, both for the sheer amount of poo poo from such an incredible height that is coming down on the administration, and for the ridiculous level of discipline he's maintained over his team.

It really feels like a DBZ legal-spirit-bomb where Mueller is just standing there episode after episode charging it up

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Mueller probably still has the first “World’s Best Boss” coffee mug he ever got in pristine conditions despite using it every day

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Trabisnikof posted:

We'll see if any of that matters. The end of any semblance of the rule of law is far closer than could have been imagined a decade ago.

As much as I do respect the squad Mueller has assembled, and the work they've done so far, I also absolutely agree with this.

What happens if they publish a thousand-page report that basically confirms the worst-case scenario? And what do we do if the answer to that question turns out to be "nothing"?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

dont even fink about it posted:

If Ryan straight-up quits Congress, you couldn't sound a louder alarm bell to the rest of the rats on the ship.

Imagine if he quits and they can't find anyone to be the speaker for a year.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Is it possible that the Mueller investigation is going to have a hard time ever ending because the crimes havent stopped? Like if there is continued White House/Russia collusion to this very day and the Mueller investigation is aware of it at what point will the investigation be able to wrap up? Like you can't tell me the Russians aren't going on the offensive for the 2018 midterms and the White House won't be helping. They know the midterms are do or die for this administration.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

He'd have to replace Rosenstein and I don't think Kelly will let him pull that trigger. The right wing might be more thoroughly brain-washed than when Nixon was around (thanks to Fox News being created by a Nixon stooge) but firing Mueller doesn't save Trump, it just makes things worse because the moment the Dems take either chamber guess who's being brought back with a vengeance?

It's simpler than that. Mueller gets fired? EVERYTHING gets leaked immediately.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

lol, so it goes

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/310919333125685248

and holy poo poo maybe this extends to piers morgan ahahah

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/310919981929996288

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
President Cruz pardons him at the inauguration.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
It really does feel literally impossible to distinguish if wikipedia is dunking on trump nonstop or totally objectively reporting facts.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/258262904091058176

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

No, but he can fire anyone who refuses to fire Mueller and then select their replacement.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/12/1...icials-say.html

A state representative in Kentucky shot and killed himself Wednesday evening, officials said -- just days after a report emerged in which a woman accused him of sexual assault.

Rep. Dan Johnson, a preacher and a Republican, shot himself on a bridge in Mt. Washington, southeast of Louisville, Bullitt County Sheriff Donnie Tinnell told WDRB. His body turned up on a riverbank near the bridge and the weapon reportedly was found at the scene.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Brony Car posted:

1. Maybe, but Trump is only 7-10 points ahead of Nixon's final approval rating even with the propaganda machine, in his first year of office. Bush had all that and his approval rating still dropped down into the low 20s at points. Approval rating ain't everything but the propaganda machine hasn't so much increased the base so much as radicalized it. Or rather, it has induced compaction cycles, to use Prester Jane's lingo. But even if the reactionaries are radicalized, the rest of the country still outnumbers them and is also increasingly driven the opposite way. Not necessarily to the Left, but to a firm Anti-Trump position.

2. Who knows? It's a big country and the internet gives everyone a platform so leaks would be heard regardless.

I was pretty hard onboard the :matters: train, but after Virginia and Alabama I'm swinging back to the other way. You remember in 2010 how the absolute loathing of Obama by conservatives drove the Tea Party and they took hold of hundreds of seats in a giant wave? Imagine that level of motivation and spite voting, but among the actual majority of this country. You think the audience of Fox News being pissed off and mobilized is bad? What we're seeing is what happens when the audience of Jimmy Kimmel has the same mindset. That sounds like a joke, but I'm completely serious.

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008

Lemming posted:

We want the Democrats to win first so we get President Pelosi instead of Ryan

Unless I'm much mistaken, the 25th Amendment makes it almost impossible for the Speaker to actually become President. After all, Ford was never Speaker. Either:

1) both Trump and Pence go down at almost literally the exact same time.

2) a Democratic Congress makes it clear that there will be no Republican President, and that if Pence falls before Trump the Vice-Presidency will remain vacant until we get President Pelosi.

#2 would be uncharted territory politically, the Democrats allowed Nixon to replace Agnew with another Republican. But, then, after the travesty that was the Garland nomination, I think it's much more likely than it was during Watergate.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

mdemone posted:

As much as I do respect the squad Mueller has assembled, and the work they've done so far, I also absolutely agree with this.

What happens if they publish a thousand-page report that basically confirms the worst-case scenario? And what do we do if the answer to that question turns out to be "nothing"?

Virginia and Alabama seem to care enough already to do something.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/12/1...icials-say.html

A state representative in Kentucky shot and killed himself Wednesday evening, officials said -- just days after a report emerged in which a woman accused him of sexual assault.

Rep. Dan Johnson, a preacher and a Republican, shot himself on a bridge in Mt. Washington, southeast of Louisville, Bullitt County Sheriff Donnie Tinnell told WDRB. His body turned up on a riverbank near the bridge and the weapon reportedly was found at the scene.

This is how you handle being exposed as a pedophile. Good on Dan Johnson.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Brony Car posted:

I don't really have any firsthand experience of the media industry but wasn't Watergate basically the Holy Grail of investigative journalism? I'd think they'd be climbing over each other to be the ones to break through that story.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Farchanter posted:

Unless I'm much mistaken, the 25th Amendment makes it almost impossible for the Speaker to actually become President. After all, Ford was never Speaker. Either:

1) both Trump and Pence go down at almost literally the exact same time.

2) a Democratic Congress makes it clear that there will be no Republican President, and that if Pence falls before Trump the Vice-Presidency will remain vacant until we get President Pelosi.

#2 would be uncharted territory politically, the Democrats allowed Nixon to replace Agnew with another Republican. But, then, after the travesty that was the Garland nomination, I think it's much more likely than it was during Watergate.

They are too stupid to have insulated Pence. It's already become clear that the thing they fired Flynn for, that he supposedly lied to Pence, was a lie itself and Pence already knew about the meetings.

He's hosed too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Straight White Shark posted:

I don't really have any firsthand experience of the media industry but wasn't Watergate basically the Holy Grail of investigative journalism? I'd think they'd be climbing over each other to be the ones to break through that story.

Except Fox News, but then again, I'm expecting them and their owners to be entirely complicit and fall down with any serious impeachment.

• Locked thread