Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Guy Fawkes posted:

Prpfessor Heny Jones (jr) a.k.a. Indy would like to remind us that "70 percent of archaeology is done in the library"
I'm interpreting this as a vote for looking at books.

The Kingdoms of Terror posted:

The books are catalogued under headings that cover all manner of subjects. You search for those relating to the Lorestone of Varetta or any that detail the history of the Kai or Sun Eagle’s quest. You discover to your surprise that they have all been removed. Judging by the lack of dust on the empty shelves, they were taken away less than a day ago. After double-checking that you have not overlooked anything, you decide that there is little here to help you on your quest and leave the library.
Shall we move on to the temple or the observatory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Observatory

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Let's observe.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
OK, let's knock out the last of the major players in Legends of Lone Wolf with Alyss.

She an essentially omnipotent manic pixie dream girl (before that was an identified thing) who works/messes with the good guys through the series. She pops up in Banedon's early scenes, intimating she has some foreknowledge of a romantic relationship they will share in the future. She later gives his rather lowly magic a boost to get him back home to Toran alive.

She also ruffles the feathers of some of the antagonists as well. She's the one who faces down the previously young and hearty Vonotar and curses him with a few extra decades and a severe case of kyphosis (permanently crippling him...at least physically). She also disguises herself as a Drakarrim to annoy Zagarna which is more or less in line with how her character is presented.

So the big thing in the early books she does is bring Lone Wolf back to life. After his ship to Durenor is sunk, he's left weaponless and relatively helpless. He's taken in by some jerk fishermen who steal all of his possessions (including the Seal of Durenor) and then slit his throat. This is apparently not part of the big plan, and sets off some cosmic alarm bells.

Now while Alyss is presented as essentially omnipotent, she does admit to some limitations. Her early origin story is a bit abstract: Naar and Ishir came to an accord dividing the multiverse between them (Aon and particularly Magnamund serving as the final battle lines) and Alyss was made up of what Ishir had left over at the end. While she can create tornadoes at a whim, blind people with her mind and cause darkspawn to explode with a thought, her actual ability to enact palpable change against the grain of reality is limited. Nevertheless, she's on the right side of things and recognizes the true catastrophe presented by Lone Wolf's untimely death. She warps to Toran and combines her powers with those of Banedon and the Guildmaster of the Brotherhood of the Crystal Star in a...dance...and changes the weave of reality to restore Lone Wolf's life and subsequently ensure the retrieval of the Sommerswerd and the fall of Zagarna. This extraordinary effort puts her into a coma for a book or so until Banedon revives her by inadvertently sacrificing a relic of hers. This coincides with book 3, the Caverns of Kalte.

And then things get weird.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I wonder how and if Legends of Lone Wolf address the taxidermist.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The door clicks shut behind you. It takes a few seconds for your eyes to grow accustomed to the dimly lit interior, but the room appears to be the antechamber of a larger hall. Following the faint sound of voices, you pass through an archway, along a corridor, and into the main hall. Gathered about a circular table of gleaming steel, a group of elderly men are poring over books, star charts, and astral maps, engrossed in discussion. Globes of blue-white fire hang motionless in the air above them to illuminate their work. The old men do not see you until you are close to their steel table. Their reaction to your sudden appearance is astonishing—they look as though they have seen a ghost. There are yelps of shock and startled expressions; sweat forms on their brows. The sight is too much for one old man, who swoons and faints, falling limply across his books and maps. Only one man remains calm and collected.

Instantly, you recognize the old man who stands before you now, calm and smiling. It is the same old man whom you encountered in a hut on the road to Ruanon some years ago; the same man who handed you a scroll that foretold the dangers of the Chasm of Doom.

‘Welcome, Lone Wolf,’ he says. ‘Once again the stars have dictated that our paths would cross.’

‘Calm yourselves, my brothers. It is he—it is the Kai Lord.’

Slowly, as the startled old men regain their composure, their shocked expressions change to ones of awe and reverence.

‘I am Gwynian,’ says their leader. ‘We have been expecting your arrival.’ He points to the charts that cover the table and to a massive telescope that is fixed to a platform in the domed ceiling.

‘The stars divine the shape of things to come—they are our advisors. We know of your quest for the Lorestone. We know that it is the true quest and we pledge our help, but there are many of our brethren who fear its power. They choose to ignore the wisdom of the stars and they have pledged themselves to a foolish and dangerous vow to keep hidden the location of the Lorestone and to kill all who seek it, for fear they would use it for their own ends.’

Suddenly, his words are cut short by the beating of fists against the observatory door: your horse has been discovered.

‘Give him to us!’ shouts a chorus of angry voices.

‘Quickly, we must leave,’ says Gwynian, and he ushers you into a smaller room. A hidden catch is pulled, and a secret panel opens to reveal a passage. As you follow the sage and his companions into the darkness, you hear the door to the observatory splinter and break.

The passage leads to a vaulted cellar, as cold and as silent as a tomb. Gwynian talks with his brothers who then hurry off towards a distant portal. As they disappear into the dark, he returns to your side, his face sombre but composed.

‘The Lorestone of Varetta is hidden in the crypt of the cathedral of Tekaro. This key will unlock the tomb in which it lies.’ He produces a Small Silver Key from his sleeve and gives it to you.

‘My brothers will provide a swift horse for your journey. When the observatory clock strikes midnight, enter the portal and follow the passage to the end. It passes beneath the city wall, and your horse will be waiting where the passage comes to the surface. You are welcome to take any items you require from this cellar that may be of use to you on your quest. May the gods protect you, Lone Wolf.’ You nod your thanks and watch as Gwynian disappears into the portal.

The cellar is well stocked with provisions and you find the following items that could be of use on your journey to Tekaro:
  • Quarterstaff
  • Enough food for 3 Meals
  • Mace
  • Brass Whistle (Special Item)
  • Rope
  • Short Sword
Together with the Small Silver Key that Gwynian gave you (mark this as a Special Item that you keep in your pocket), you collect together all the items you wish to keep and settle down for the long wait till midnight.

When the observatory clock strikes twelve, you are poised and ready to enter the portal. You follow a dry stone passageway until you arrive at an iron door. It opens with a grating squeal and a gust of damp, earthy air, mixed with a strange sweetness, billows out. Before you, a narrow stone stairway twists away into the darkness. You are forced to tread carefully on the green and slippery steps. At the bottom of the stairs a rough-hewn tunnel disappears to the west. You press on and eventually arrive at another iron door. Gwynian has kept his word, for beyond the door awaits a fine liver chestnut mare, saddled and ready to ride.

You are in a small copse close to a highway junction. In the light of the moon you can see a signpost that indicates two destinations—Amory and Soren. Consult the map before deciding which way to go.
  1. Which items (if any) do we take from the cellar?
  2. Do we ride for Armory or for Soren?

We've heard the names "Tekaro" and "Armory" before. We have no room to spare in our backpack and no free weapon slots.

I remember a weird bit from the novelisation of this book that relates to this meeting with Gwynian; in the novels, Lone Wolf investigates the hut on Raider's Road and meets the old man just as we did, and he recognises Gwynian here, but Gwynian doesn't recognise him. Turns out that wasn't Gwynian in the hut. It was a manifestation of the power of the Sommerswerd bonding with Lone Wolf's soul, and it just appeared in the form of someone that Lone Wolf would eventually meet. The novels are weird.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
To Soren!

ShadowWraith
Mar 28, 2011
The road to Amory seems to be the more direct route to our destination.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Grab the brass whistle and then to Amory!

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

It's not Armory, it's Amory (with one R).

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Let's get the Brass Whistle and then to Amory.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Leraika posted:

Grab the brass whistle

Materant posted:

It's not Armory, it's Amory (with one R).
So it is, my mistake,

You ride all night without sleep, with only the moon to light your way and the howling wind as your companion. As the first light of dawn creeps over the horizon, you see a small village less than a mile ahead. A dog barks gruffly at you as you ride into the refuse-strewn streets, and you are forced to drive it away with the toe of your boot as it snaps persistently at your horse’s hind legs.

On the far side of the village, where the highway enters a line of scattered hills, a fortified manor house stands guard. A large sign, faded by wind and rain, proclaims a curious message:

AMORY CESS—3 GOLD CROWNS
Do we stop and ask about the sign or ignore it and keep riding?

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

cess /ses/ (noun)
(in Scotland, Ireland, and India) a tax or levy.

Sounds like we're going to need to stop and ask.

Materant fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 13, 2017

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Keep riding. Kai Lords are tax exempt.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Materant posted:

cess /ses/ (noun)
(in Scotland, Ireland, and India) a tax or levy.

Sounds like we're going to need to stop and ask.
I had no idea that was a real word.

Spurring your horse up the steep path to the manor house, you pass beneath its turreted gate and halt at a small outhouse whose walls are embellished with intricate ironwork. The top half of a stable door swings open, and a spiky-haired youth leers at you.

‘Be wantin’ a Cess for Amory?’ he says offhandedly. ‘Three Gold Crowns.’

He holds a square of blue card in one hand and presents an open palm with the other.
We can ask him what a cess is, pay him the 3 Gold Crowns or change our mind and go back to the highway.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Three coins is nothing, bounce them off his forehead

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
What’s a cess? Does it mean what we think it means?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
In Italian, cesso (a common, slightly coarse word for toilet) is shortened to cess in many dialects, so this is especially amusing to me.

Sure man, give us your loo.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Let’s talk about the weirdness that is Dagger in the Spine. It comes between Hunting Wolf and Sacrifice at Ruanon, or The Caverns of Kalte and the Chasm of Doom. First off, Alyss decides to go back to the beginning of the universe to learn about her birth creation. She stumbles on a verbal dust worm named Garna that she brings with her. On the way she meets a rogue Kai named Cloud Maker in Ragadorn who she sends to help Lone Wolf and Qinifer rebuild the monastery and the order of the Kai. It’s possible to meet him in book 2 if you pick right and he puts you up for a night. He also meets LW in the fiction series in the process of being resurrected and regaining the Seal. He’s a nice guy and gets killed pretty soon after arriving at the Monastery.

Alyss gets a bit lost on the way and gets stranded in a primeval chaotic plane of existence. She at one point bumps into a tree that comes out of nowhere and briefly befriends some spectral flying dogs, one of whom is overcome by some evil forces chasing them along their way. At the end of her search, she learns that by interacting with these beings in the early primordial soup of existence, she created Vashna (the tree), Agarash the Damned (the hound) and Zagarna (the mud worm). She is appropriately chagrined, and goes home. So there’s that dimension to things.

Lone Wolf, in the meantime, gets kidnapped by Kraan and brought to Helgedad under the command of Haakon who is making a play for head Darklord against Slûtar with Gnaag lurking in the wings. Haakon keeps LW hostage for two years before Slûtar schemes with Carag to free Lone Wolf and make Haakon look bad. This backfires and Haakon comes out on top.

Slûtar is described thusly:

posted:

He was not quite so tall as Gnaag or even Haakon, but he was much bulkier, so that even his powerful mount needed all its great strength to bear him. His body was covered in luxurious blond fur, which whipped and snapped in the shrill wind as he urged the Zlanbeast on to even greater feats of speed. His wide mouth seemed to fill most of his face, so that the eyes were crushed up towards the corners. He had a larger pair of eyes, one at the front of each shoulder, and these flitted fretfully from side to side, observing everything yet showing few signs of intelligence. Remaining open even when he slept, these were linked to a secondary brain in his chest, which sifted the information from them and then relayed anything it considered relevant on to his primary brain. He had a long and very thick coiled tail thattwitched seemingly uncontrollably. Like the rest of his body it was covered in long fair hair. It was powerfully muscled: when he uncoiled it in battle itcould move so quickly as to be almost invisible, crushing opponents on every side.
He may be on the US cover of Book 12.

While all this is going on, Banedon and Qinifer go to Vassegonia to investigate evil goings on. Banedon gets some street smarts, Qinifer kills a helghast with an ordinary weapon, and they learn that the old Zahkan is a jerkoff letting spawn infiltrate his city with concerns only for himself. In the end, everyone goes back home in the end to set up for the equivalent of book 4.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Ratatozsk posted:

Let’s talk about the weirdness that is Dagger in the Spine.

The last one I've read of the "legends" and the one that convinced me to stop. In fact the story could'va been avoided at all, it added NOTHING to the plot and was WEIRD...

For our actual course of action, Lets' pay the cess (or toll).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ratatozsk posted:

On the way she meets a rogue Kai named Cloud Maker in Ragadorn who she sends to help Lone Wolf and Qinifer rebuild the monastery and the order of the Kai. It’s possible to meet him in book 2 if you pick right and he puts you up for a night.
I'm fairly certain that's not true. I don't think he appears in the gamebooks at all.

Jackard posted:

Three coins is nothing, bounce them off his forehead
We now have 37 Gold Crowns.

The youth snatches your gold, flicks the square of blue card at you and slams shut the outhouse door. It is stamped with today’s date and will allow you access to the town of Amory on this day only. You pocket the Cess (mark it as a Special Item on your Action Chart) and leave.

By noon, the hills lie far behind, and you catch your first sight of the snow-capped Ceners. To the south, nestling at the foot of this mountain range, is Amory. You are tired after your ride, but you know you must press on if you are to reach the town by nightfall. You reach a junction where a stone signpost indicates two directions: northwest to Soren and south to Amory. Both towns lie exactly 25 miles from this point. You are hungry and must now eat a Meal or lose 3 ENDURANCE points.
Do we continue on to Amory, or change direction and ride for Soren?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Go to Soren. We might need to stay in Amory more than one day, and I don't like places with restricted access.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Tiggum posted:

I'm fairly certain that's not true. I don't think he appears in the gamebooks at all.

Going back, it looks like you're right. You can meet the innkeeper of the North Star after whom Cloud Maker is modeled, but he's unnamed and is never given much of a character beyond generic innkeeper. I think that I was conflating him with a little factoid you pick up when running across the grave of Swift Fox, a Kai journeyman killed by the Red Death plague. In Legends there's this weird repeated suspicion that Cloud Maker is in fact Swift Fox. I'm not sure if it was eventually intended to reveal that they were one and the same - it kinda felt like they were building to that the way it was repeatedly intimated but then they just kill him off abruptly which is strange for how much characterization he's given.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Uhh go to Amory that's why we bought the damned thing

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Jackard posted:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Jackard posted:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Jackard posted:

Well, maybe we just wanted it as a souvenir?

An hour after sunset you arrive at the gates of Amory. Beneath the deepening shadow of its watchful guard tower, you fight back your fatigue and wait as the gate creaks open. A soldier wearing a hauberk of black and gold chainmail strides forward and demands to see a Cess.

The guard snatches the square of blue card from between your fingers then walks over to a sputtering wall torch, which he removes from its bracket. Holding the torch high, he returns and examines first the card and then your face.

‘Enter,’ he snarls, crumpling the card in his hairy fist. You flick your heel and urge your tired horse through the town gate.

Suddenly, all hell breaks loose. Alarm bells ring, gruff voices bellow and scream and the crunching of boots on stone echoes round the town. A troop of soldiers surround you, their faces twisted and unnatural in the glare of their flaming torches. Your senses have been dulled by fatigue, and you are dragged from the saddle and disarmed before you have had a chance to react. Cold iron chains are wound tightly around your arms and body, and you are roughly pushed into a grey stone gaol. A wave of terror engulfs you as you catch a fleeting glimpse of a poster pasted to the gaol door. You see your own face before you; beneath it is written: ‘Death sentence—by order of Lord Roark, Highborn of Amory.’

Within the hour, your head is resting upon the executioner’s block. As the razor-sharp blade of a two-handed axe whistles towards your neck, the last sound you hear is the malicious and vengeful laugh of the young lordling.

Death Count: 7

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 19, 2017

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

On second thoughts, let's not go to Amory. It is a silly place.

The highway descends into a wide valley that bears the scars of war—derelict cottages, their walls broken and charred, dot the landscape. You cross a stagnant stream by a rickety wooden bridge and climb towards a copse of trees at the brow of a hillock. As you draw closer to the copse you hear a low hypnotic chant coming from somewhere inside the ring of trees.

Shall we stop and investigate the chanting or ignore it and keep on toward Soren?

The cess does absolutely nothing. If you don't have one they let you in anyway, presumably because they recognise your face from the wanted posters.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Let's investigate the chanting, it's probably those nice fish monks that show up a lot.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Roark you're a little poo poo :argh:

Investigate the chanting.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Let's investigate.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Tiggum posted:

On second thoughts, let's not go to Amory. It is a silly place.
Haha what the hell was that?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Jackard posted:

The rear end in a top hat lord from the start of the book shouted about how he's from Amory and if you went there he'd kill you all kinds of dead. Which we did and he did.

Investigate the Chanting

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Jackard posted:

We were warned.

Page 301 posted:

‘Curse you, scum!’ he shrieks. ‘I am Roark, highborn of Amory. I shall have your life for this—mark my words!’

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Tiggum posted:

Ratatozsk posted:

Going back, it looks like you're right. You can meet the innkeeper of the North Star after whom Cloud Maker is modeled, but he's unnamed and is never given much of a character beyond generic innkeeper. I think that I was conflating him with a little factoid you pick up when running across the grave of Swift Fox, a Kai journeyman killed by the Red Death plague. In Legends there's this weird repeated suspicion that Cloud Maker is in fact Swift Fox. I'm not sure if it was eventually intended to reveal that they were one and the same - it kinda felt like they were building to that the way it was repeatedly intimated but then they just kill him off abruptly which is strange for how much characterization he's given.

If I remember well, in fact in the gamebook the innkeeper has a daughter, who was to be the centrepiece of a quite awkward scene with Lone Wolf. In the Legends series when Lone Wolf arrives at the inn, at a certain point the innkeeper reveals he run away from the Kai monastery a lot of years before. That pushes hiim to help Lone Wolf in his quest. OK, this could have been good as an insert scene, but when Alyss manipulated him to go and help rebuild the monastery, that felt to me as the first signal of the approaching shark jump.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Guy Fawkes posted:

If I remember well, in fact in the gamebook the innkeeper has a daughter, who was to be the centrepiece of a quite awkward scene with Lone Wolf.
Nope. Maybe you're thinking of a different innkeeper? The one in the North Star Tavern could well have a daughter, but she's not mentioned in the book. There's a serving girl who'll save you from being murdered by an arm-wrestling sailor, but nothing to indicate that she's related to the innkeeper. Also, there's no need to spoiler stuff from back in book two. :)

Expertly you move through the undergrowth without making a sound until you come to the edge of a small, rocky clearing. A group of ten hooded men stand in a circle around an altar stone. Their leader, a tall thin man wearing a hideous mask of green glass, spins a golden rod around the head of a gigantic toad-like creature spread-eagled on the altar. Lightning writhes like a sparking serpent around the creature’s body, and as the chanting rises in pitch, the beast’s body floats upwards, hovering in mid-air a few feet above the altar.

Suddenly, the leader shrieks with anger and turns in your direction. He has somehow detected your presence, and you feel his blazing fury. He points the golden rod towards you, and a charge of energy snakes through the air.
We have a bow. Do we wish to use it? Or do we prefer to attack with the Sommerswerd, or run away?

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

WHABAWTUI.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The Sommerswerd can catch enemy magic and hurl it back at them if I recall correctly. It doesn't always work though. I vote we try it here just in case. Use the Sommerswerd!

Ratatozk- Any mention of the Taxidermist in Legends of Lone Wolf?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

achtungnight posted:

The Sommerswerd can catch enemy magic and hurl it back at them if I recall correctly. It doesn't always work though. I vote we try it here just in case. Use the Sommerswerd!
Yea it's just like the master sword or lightsabers. This seems like the one time not to use a bow. Block his unlimited power!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

achtungnight posted:

Ratatozk- Any mention of the Taxidermist in Legends of Lone Wolf?

I’m in the middle of the siege of Ruanon at the moment, so still have 1.5 CYOA booksworth of content to catch up. I’d only read up to Caverns of Kalte equivalent before this thread started and I hunted down the remainder of the series. A google of angelfire+av38+vonotar should get anyone else to that source for Legends if you’re interested in accessing them yourself.