Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

horns.exr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

all this time and money poured into making the best piece of cinema ever with at least a million dollars per finished minute and you're just going to gently caress up the color gamut??? with a TV that looks like SDR?

might as well just change the badging on your 2000 prius and say its a 2017!!!!

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

imma let u finish but HDR starts at 2,000 nits

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

and if you have a watercooled TV you can get up to 4000 nits

yes, get ready to install a water pipe to watch TV becuase hashtag #brightness matters

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

instead vesa is giving an easy pass to fisher price display manufacturers allowing them to pass off tech from 8 years ago as "hdr" DO YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT THIS DOES TO THE MARKET?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

MIGHT AS WELL LET ANY KID WITH HIS CANON DSLR SHOOT HD VIDEO AND UPSCALE IT TO 4K AND BE LIKE "YUP MY 8 BITS WILL LOOK GOOD BECAUSE THE TV WILL DITHER IT ALL INTOAWKLJRAW ITJ^ lKA S

SIEXXX BITS??!?! SIXXX@!#@!#!@

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

DYNAMIC CONTRAST THAT poo poo LOOKS GOOD OMASHUDHM YESSSS NO NEED FOR A WATER COOLED TV NOW WE CAN SELL TVS INTO DORMS ON BLACK FRIDAY FOR 300 AND STILL MAKE 100$ PROFIT

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

hurrrr nobody will pay for quality display because YOU DONT EVEN MAKE ONE

cept u sony, u cool

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

and on top of this watch someone else make their own standard thats even lower as if the bar weren't so low that tvs from 10 years ago cant already jump it

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

WE AS CONTENT MAKERS SHOULD GO ON STRIKE

nobody can film a chrome anyhting on a car, or shoot into the sun until they meet our MINIMUM NIT DEMANDS

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

PAGANCOWS NIT MANIFESTO (paganomics):

stop making bullshit display makers

brightness not dollars

sieze the means of encoding

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

then make all your stuff encoded HDR 2,000 nits and master 90% of your brightness values above 1,000 so people only see mostly white when watching the TV because lol herp derp hdr 10 is a thing

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

WE WILL NOT SLEEP UNTIL THE AUDIENCE CAN WATCH A REAL HDR MOVIE OR ADVERTISMENT THE WAY IT WAS MEANT TO BE DISPLAYED WITH CHROME HIGHLIGHTS OVER 1K NITS

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

and make sports ball unwatchable unless you have 120hz displays so we need to figure out how to coke out all the players and hgh them into super fast beasts where the plays are unwatchable becuase they move SO FAST

ARE YOU WITH ME????

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

on the topic of vesa, is there any place to see an open spec/implementation of dsc (as implemented in hdmi)? got to be a bit nudge-nudge about it i figure, but surely an actually accurate implementation is on a github somewhere anyway. got a bit curious about the specifics on the more lossy parts of the compression, but not curious enough to pay vesa for the spec

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

on the topic of vesa, is there any place to see an open spec/implementation of dsc (as implemented in hdmi)? got to be a bit nudge-nudge about it i figure, but surely an actually accurate implementation is on a github somewhere anyway. got a bit curious about the specifics on the more lossy parts of the compression, but not curious enough to pay vesa for the spec

Yo idk about the specifics of your question, but this is where I would start.

https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pagancow posted:

WE WILL NOT SLEEP UNTIL THE AUDIENCE CAN WATCH A REAL HDR MOVIE OR ADVERTISMENT THE WAY IT WAS MEANT TO BE DISPLAYED WITH CHROME HIGHLIGHTS OVER 1K NITS

man, I do _not_ want car dealerships making super bright hdr ads.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

akadajet posted:

man, I do _not_ want car dealerships making super bright hdr ads.

WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE 8K DOLBY VISION MAN

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

lol gently caress we're going to have to start turning on both audio AND brightness normalization because shitheads will abuse this to all hell

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lol gently caress we're going to have to start turning on both audio AND brightness normalization because shitheads will abuse this to all hell

Big Mike Naughton's got some brand new F150 Super Duty's in stock and boy he's gonna show 'em to you in all their glory.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i take amazing 4k video in hevc with my iphone x

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Mad Wack posted:

i take amazing 4k video in hevc with my iphone x

not HDR PQ gamma get out

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

pagancow posted:

not HDR PQ gamma get out

yeah but nobody important cares about that

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
TVs seem like a world of hurt right now

either spend $7,000 on a sony lcd w/ uneven blacks, or get an oled with lousy brightness

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pagancow posted:

who is going to care about the hour long samsung washer ad IF YOU CANT EVEN SEE IT IN REAL 10 BITS?

lol

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Showing results for exploding samsung washer
Search instead for exploding samsrung washer

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i just got a gaming monitor

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i will not be satisfied until everything looks like this

i mean vesa probably is okay with that being hdr

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
i love "hdr photos", everything looks so ~*dramatic*~

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

mr. cow does it bother you that The Best TVs are OLEDs with low peak brightness?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

DuckConference posted:

mr. cow does it bother you that The Best TVs are OLEDs with low peak brightness?

psshhhh please

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1202266-REG/canon_6902b002_dp_v3010_30_4k_hd_3g_sdi.html

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

come back when you've graded a film

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Wheany posted:

i love "hdr photos", everything looks so ~*dramatic*~

"HDR photography" is actually tone mapped SDR into a gamma 2.2 container meaning you cant do linear transform functions without some serious banding in your crunched highlight and shadow areas.

"HDR" is a perceptual encoding of images that can contain up to 15 stops dynamic range and 10,000 nits brightness (pq gamma) and still need a gamma linear form of media to be mastered from but is wayyyyyy better

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

dont be dumb, get a real monitor, shoot raw media when possible, and be ready to re-master all your stuff as water cooled displays become affordable or ur doing post on the next star wars film

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

duh.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
theory:

pagancow posted:

"HDR" is a perceptual encoding of images that can contain up to 15 stops dynamic range and 10,000 nits brightness (pq gamma) and still need a gamma linear form of media to be mastered from but is wayyyyyy better

practice:

tvs will have internal circuitry that automatically makes everything look like this:

you can't disable it

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

nope.avi

they will put properly calibrated rec709 TVs next to 1000 nit displays in best buy and people will go "yeah that one looks way better and looks like it has more resolution"

people like bright and sharp things and brightness on a contrasty image gives the appearance of more resolution

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

pagancow posted:

properly calibrated

that means dragging the saturation slider to 200%, correct?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Wheany posted:

theory:

practice:

tvs will have internal circuitry that automatically makes everything look like this:

you can't disable it

I posted this in the last thread, but Disney tried this and it looked like rear end. The trend has kind of died out in the photography world too thank God.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt4DW8bX_CU&hd=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

that aside though there are going to be some awesome surreal art films in hdr in time as well

• Locked thread