Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

unseenlibrarian posted:

So apparently this came up in the comments on the kickstarter, and Wade's response was that basically Natures could represent several different things and depending on your take different natures might all be viable for the same concept, so basically look at the mechanical benefits and reskin as you see fit. You could do a tethered who doesn't care whether they live or die and just wants to fight the biggest poo poo with apex predator -or- martyr, etc.

That's good but he should have said that in the books, right? "Here's some examples I thought of for reskinning these mechanical traits, you might think of more."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, I could have done with that instead of the 17-page opening fiction.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
No argument from me, just saying that's what his response was when asked point-blank about it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

For those who didn't back the kickstarter, all the PDFs are up on DriveThru, and Fragged Empire is 50% off.

danwon
Aug 19, 2015

unseenlibrarian posted:

Looking at the Outfit rules for Fragged Seas it's really hard to resist the urge to kit out at least one PC as being naked but with a really impressive hat. (He'd have to be a wizard probably since no room for equipment with that outfit, but.)

Wait, how can you do this? Impressive hats are an outfit variation and naked doesn't permit variations. Am I missing something there? Because it sounds amazing.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I actually missed the no variations line, sadly.

It'd be easy enough to pencil it out though, because why -can't- you be naked but for a fancy hat?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Any GM who'd deny you that is not a GM worth playing with.

OP could probably use some work, and definitely time for a new thread title.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Side note: Classic Races and Magic is now available for sale- it actually wasn't a backer reward, so if you want to play elves and dwarves in Fragged Kingdoms, well, it's just 3.50 USD.

It feels weird and wrong to have stats for humans in a Fragged * game, though intellectually I know they're a thing in Fragged Seas and Fragged Aeternum (They just don't use the race/species thing there as a distinction, so.)

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Dec 13, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What’s the magic in the Classic Races and Magic book? Is it a more traditional RPG magic system or more options for the one in Fragged Kingdoms?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Harrow posted:

What’s the magic in the Classic Races and Magic book? Is it a more traditional RPG magic system or more options for the one in Fragged Kingdoms?

It's an adaptation of the Fragged Kingdom one to be more traditional D&D style. Alchemy is split into magery and sorcery and all the weapons are tagged as natural. All-power user are reskinned as clerics, Ta-di shamans as summoners and druids as, well, druids.

There's new variations to do more traditional D&D style magic, as well as arcane utility items to do big rituals and minor spells.

An example of each:

Major Ritual: posted:

Spell, Hell Gate: Natural, One Use per Week, A gate to hell opens up and bad things come out. The more you spend (time, Trade
Goods, Skill Rolls, etc...) on this spell the larger and longer it stays open. 2KN, 1 resource.

Minor spell posted:

Friendship: Casting Time ten minutes, You gain +2 to your next social Skill Roll (does not Stack) Acquire: 12t.

Most minor spells either have a long casting time or work like the Fragged Kingdom magic where it still takes a skill use and a skilled mundane could get the same result with an equally good roll, just in a different way.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

New variations and stuff might be cool, though I do like the way that Fragged Kingdom ties magic into its existing systems. It's tough to explain to someone used to spell lists and stuff, but it works well, especially for a system where magic isn't supposed to be a solve-all-problems thing.

On another note, reading Fragged Aeternum and Kingsom and playing the Monster Hunter World beta has me really wanting to come up with a way to make a Monster Hunter-like game with Fragged. Given how thoroughly all of the systems are built around resource management, customizing weapons and outfits, and deciding which utility items to bring along seems like it'd be perfect for a game all about hunting big, dangerous monsters.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I've said it elsewhere but one of these days I'm gonna (probably never) make a Shadowrun hack out of this system.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

One of these days I'm actually going to put together Fragged Max.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Well, Classic Races and Magic should probably do a bit to push stuff toward Shadowrun at least. All it's missing is trolls.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

unseenlibrarian posted:

Well, Classic Races and Magic should probably do a bit to push stuff toward Shadowrun at least. All it's missing is trolls.

Take Legion. Give them tusks.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

One of these days I'm actually going to put together Fragged Max.

Probably start with Kingdoms, strip out the obvious magic and reflavour the starships.

Empire's already post-apoc so you're 90% there.

Dec 26, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

I've said it elsewhere but one of these days I'm gonna (probably never) make a Shadowrun hack out of this system.

Seems like it wouldn't be too hard. The aforementioned race swaps, diversifying what you can get with Influence into a more generalized thing (for contacts, vehicles, boltholes, etc), and stealing FK magic traits/adding or refluffing stuff for cyberware would probably get you pretty much there. What other distinctions would you be looking for from it?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

So I picked this up... a couple of days before it went on sale? :shepspends:

I rolled up a stealthy spy type to test char creation and was generally impressed with what I saw- the system seem clean, readable, flexible, evocative, etc. But reading Hacked now I note that the stealth system has been completely reworked- does it just not work as written in vanilla? I did notice there are a whole bunch of ways to pick up stealth bonuses.

Other notes:

Level one characters seem really poor. Not exactly shitfarmer poor, but still pretty limited when it comes to equipment choices.

The statlines for antagonists are... odd. 16 defence is huge and 3 armour substantial enough to negate half the weapon list. And that's the baseline?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

The rework in hacked is an optional rule; I think one or two of the sourcebooks use it as written and the other uses the default rules.

Henchmen have a high base defense and generally good armor because there run in packs and go down as soon as you do one point of attribute damage. A standard henchman group for facing starting PCs will either have 2 armor or one less resource of equipment. It's sort of like how a minion version of a monster in 4E would be higher level and have higher base defenses but only do flat damage and go down in one hit.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Autonomous Monster posted:

Level one characters seem really poor. Not exactly shitfarmer poor, but still pretty limited when it comes to equipment choices.

There are a lot of variations that reduce the resource cost of stuff. As long as you don't go hog wild on stuff that reduces your to-hit, you can get some good stuff out of there.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Autonomous Monster posted:

The statlines for antagonists are... odd. 16 defence is huge and 3 armour substantial enough to negate half the weapon list. And that's the baseline?

You're making the same mistake I did when I first ran the game: you're missing the level adjustments. Henchmen for "levels" 1-5 get lower armor.

Starting-stage henchmen should have Armor 2, not 3.

Dec 26, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

You're making the same mistake I did when I first ran the game: you're missing the level adjustments. Henchmen for "levels" 1-5 get lower armor.

Starting-stage henchmen should have Armor 2, not 3.

He should really just make the baseline 16/2 armor and add from there on that chart, it's pretty missable. Some of the traits also get an armor penalty on top of that.

In addition to that, though, you can use the Critical Boost strong hit to get past high armor if you have a wimpy weapon.

Ratoslov posted:

There are a lot of variations that reduce the resource cost of stuff. As long as you don't go hog wild on stuff that reduces your to-hit, you can get some good stuff out of there.

Especially worth noting on this front is the Particle variation for guns - it makes any Small Arms weapon pretty cheap for a penalty that, given the aforementioned armor reduction, isn't the biggest deal in the world at level 1.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

I also highly reccomend smoke grenades. They cost 0 Resources, weigh 1, and you get 2 grenades that make a burst 2 area of visual light cover. They're practically mandatory for Kaltoran PCs. Smoke shotguns are also a good idea.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Fragged Aeternum gives henchmen more armor, but less defense than even the baseline henchmen in Empire, but it also has the Rush action, where you kill one henchman adjacent to you when you use it ,+1 per momentum you're willing to spend, presumably to encourage people to avoid hunkering down behind cover, but instead zip around the battlefield in their stylish greatcoats and tricorner hats stabbing things.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
reading through the copy i just got, this game talks a lot about how encounters won't be "balanced" but like... how do I design an encounter to be appropriate for a group of new characters things are neither over or underpowered.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

It does provide guidelines- all other things being equal (Cover, existing attribute damage, etc) a henchman group or skilled opponent is equal to one PC, while a nemesis is equal to 3 PCs. Want an equal challenge for a group of five? One Henchman group, one skilled opponent, one nemesis, and use the statline adjustments appropriate to the PCs' resources. Or just 5 henchmen groups. Or 5 skilled opponents. Etc.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Dec 14, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've had a hard time dialing in encounter difficulty myself. I think I keep underestimating just how much damage Fragged Empire PCs can put out if they focus-fire a threatening target.

It kind of reminds me of when I used to run Savage Worlds--combat feels like rocket tag. Threatening enemies can take a PC out in a single lucky crit, but that can go the other way just as easily. It's certainly not a bad thing, but I have to get used to the idea that individual threatening opponents need more backup than I'm giving them. In the last session I ran, the "boss fight" at the end had one overleveled nemesis and two henchman groups against a party of four. I downgraded the nemesis from the 5 armor it had in the Antagonist Archive to 3 armor because otherwise only one PC would actually be able to damage it, but poo poo, maybe that should've been the point. Keep the high armor value so the Legion with the puncture rifle is the only one who can do real damage and have everyone else support her and keep her safe from the swarm of Mechonid drones, I dunno.

As it stands, the nemesis almost one-shot one of the PCs in the three rounds it was alive, so they still felt like they had a thrilling encounter. But that was definitely a fluke--had that one attack roll gone a little differently, the nemesis would've gone down after barely scratching anyone--and I'm working on getting a better handle on what makes a good Fragged Empire combat.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

One thing I'd definitely consider when building a high-armor Nemesis and my PCs don't have a lot of penetrating weapons is to give them a trait that reduces armor when they're at 0 end, of which there's several. Armor doesn't block End damage so other PCs can wear them down to 0 and then unload once they're more vulnerable.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ah yeah, that's a good idea. I keep forgetting that's an option, despite it being on a whole lot of outfit variations and mods. That's probably exactly the point--high-armor enemies are hard to actually damage until their endurance is down, but penetrating weapons get a bonus.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It's also real easy to underestimate henchmen groups - they are terrifyingly good at attacking if they haven't been picked down to one or two henchmen.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, they ended up posing a real threat, which was fun, especially because I had them act like drone swarms controlled by the main Mechonid so they tended to focus-fire one PC at a time. Eventually it just turned into picking off individual henchmen so I ended the fight early (each group was down to like two or three and it was just a matter of rolling attacks until they went away), but it was a fun fight. Just want to make that happen more consistently now.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

A terrible and sudden realization. With Fragged Seas+ Classic Races and Magic+ the core, you could -probably- hack together a Spelljammer game.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

unseenlibrarian posted:

A terrible and sudden realization. With Fragged Seas+ Classic Races and Magic+ the core, you could -probably- hack together a Spelljammer game.

I think by "terrible" you meant loving awesome.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I pre-emptively label all my ideas terrible on the basis that someone will probably agree with me.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Finally, what everybody's been waiting for: a decent system we can run Starfinger with. :v:

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

No, no, just a system to run Spelljammer or Treasure Planet in.

Obvious hacks: Use the ship system from Fragged Seas, but give them Starship perks, including life support, etc.

This probably means using the Fragged Seas skills rules, too, because pirates in space still swash bucklers and so on.

Do the Fragged Kingdom Race+ Background in chargen with the classic races, which may mean tweaking the races to have the right skills, but.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Dec 15, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Best campaign I ever ran was pretty much Treasure Planet so I'm quite on board with some sort of unholy rules fusion to make Fragged Spelljammer.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I really do like how Kingdom handles the interaction of magic and skills: Which is to say, magic essentially just gives you an appropriately themed toolkit for relevant skill uses. Alchemists can make gold with the Stewardship (Wealth) Skill, Druids can navigate the wilderness by making the wilderness alter itself to lead them in the right direction, and enchanters can use persuasion to gently caress with people's senses. (The specific example in the book is, of course, to wave your hand and go "These aren't the druids you're looking for.")

There's also a sidebar that specifically says magic shouldn't be explicitly better than a non-magic use of the same school, assuming everything else being equal.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Man my group is late on the train for these games but they are just great. This has basically everything I love about most of my favorite games but with near none of the bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Finally, what everybody's been waiting for: a decent system we can run Starfinger with. :v:

I'm running a Fragged Empire game, and ended up in a Starfinder game, so it'll be interesting to watch the rest of the group - who are largely new to the hobby - learn that engine differences do matter, first hand.