Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

StonecutterJoe posted:

This. The Paperwhite is fantastic, a dream to read on both in terms of eyestrain and has stuff like bookmarking, word look-up, notes, it's just a great little electronic buddy. Also, less expensive than the Kindle Fire tablet.

Do you know how the paperwhite handles terry pratchett books?

My normal kindle is terrible for those. Because of all the footnotes it is constantly jumping back and forth and is just not fun to read. The footnotes should be on the same page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
You've sold me. I have to wait until after Christmas as they're out of stock until we leave. Going to get the waterproof one as I'm a big bath reader, and I sometimes fall asleep in the tub.

Its got the real buttons and its pretty big.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Waltzing Along posted:

Do you know how the paperwhite handles terry pratchett books?

My normal kindle is terrible for those. Because of all the footnotes it is constantly jumping back and forth and is just not fun to read. The footnotes should be on the same page.

Unfortunately it's hit-and-miss based on how much trouble the publisher went to when creating the ebook. The footnotes are at the end of the book, and how that's handled varies.

I have a couple books where the footnote is clickable to take you to the footnote, which is clickable to take you back.

And I have some where there's no such linkage.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ConfusedUs posted:

Unfortunately it's hit-and-miss based on how much trouble the publisher went to when creating the ebook. The footnotes are at the end of the book, and how that's handled varies.

I have a couple books where the footnote is clickable to take you to the footnote, which is clickable to take you back.

And I have some where there's no such linkage.

Yeah footnotes are a matter of formatting. For a book with heavy footnotes I generally prefer a hard copy.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I forget what book it was right now that last did this, but some Audible book narrators will actually interrupt the main narrative and say "Footnote: *reads referenced footnote*" then return to the narrative.

I think it might actually be some of the Laundry files books, in fact, but don't remember if those were actually in the stream of the prose or actual footnotes or not.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Chiming in to echo everyone's love of the Kindle Paperwhite. When I first saw it, I honestly thought it had some sort of paper insert on top of the display, and was shocked to see it change when I pressed a button. It's wonderful.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

I'm so glad I'm not the only one. :v:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Do we have any information on peace talks yet or can I check out of the thread for another year

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Do we have any information on peace talks yet or can I
check out of the thread for another year

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Really digging the Daniel Faust series so far. Finished book 1 and am about 30% through book 2. Feels like something between Dresden and Sandman Slim which I am totally okay with.

So far the fiction doesn't feel particularly coherent but that's not too unusual this early on in a series. I just hope it finds a groove in the next couple of novels and if it does, I'll be hooked.

I know there are not that many in this series, though so I am already looking for something similar to move onto after this if anyone has any suggestions.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Mr Scumbag posted:

Really digging the Daniel Faust series so far. Finished book 1 and am about 30% through book 2. Feels like something between Dresden and Sandman Slim which I am totally okay with.

That's pretty accurate. Important note from someone who's current: the power levels don't scale up as quickly as Dresden, which I like. It makes it feel more natural. I haven't read Sandman Slim, so I don't know how it compares to that beyond others' descriptions which match yours.

Mr Scumbag posted:

So far the fiction doesn't feel particularly coherent but that's not too unusual this early on in a series. I just hope it finds a groove in the next couple of novels and if it does, I'll be hooked.

I, at least, felt like it did. Once it fully embraces that it's a series of novels about heists that out-of-context villains keep stumbling into, it really takes off. To me, the series is like Daniel Ocean with some fancy tricks and magic friends effectively takes on Sauron much to Sauron's surprise. It's great.

Mr Scumbag posted:

I know there are not that many in this series, though so I am already looking for something similar to move onto after this if anyone has any suggestions.

The author puts out a new book every single year like clockwork. He's got like 10 additional novellas on kindle-only, I think, as well. He's also concurrently putting out a sister-series in the same universe also at one book per year. He's a ridiculously fast author. Hopefully he doesn't catch GRRM syndrome like Butcher has. :smith:

servo106
Apr 26, 2006

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I forget what book it was right now that last did this, but some Audible book narrators will actually interrupt the main narrative and say "Footnote: *reads referenced footnote*" then return to the narrative.

I think it might actually be some of the Laundry files books, in fact, but don't remember if those were actually in the stream of the prose or actual footnotes or not.

I know Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrell does this.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Sandman Slim basically starts off god-tier overpowered and gets even more powerful from there.

The only reason he gets hurt is because he likes getting hurt.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
If anyone here like Harry Connolly's Twenty Palaces stuff, he has a new TP novella out.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Dec 18, 2017

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Megazver posted:

If anyone here like Harry Connolly's Twenty Palaces stuff, he has a new TP novella out.

Did he have an actual editor go over it for grammar/spelling mistakes? Because I can see one or two getting by but the last time I tried to read through one of his Twenty Palaces books on the Kindle I kept being taken out of the book whenever there would be an entire page out of nowhere with nutcase punctuation and transposed letters every three or four words (and this happened at least once a chapter).

Re-downloading the book never helped, either.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Did he have an actual editor go over it for grammar/spelling mistakes? Because I can see one or two getting by but the last time I tried to read through one of his Twenty Palaces books on the Kindle I kept being taken out of the book whenever there would be an entire page out of nowhere with nutcase punctuation and transposed letters every three or four words (and this happened at least once a chapter).

I am sure he'd appreciate you messaging him about them.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I've read the series several times on Kindle and do not remember this.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

ConfusedUs posted:

I've read the series a couple of times on Kindle and do not remember this.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

I've read the series several times on Kindle and do not remember this.

Maybe it's the self-published shorts he's talking about? I haven't read those yet.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Proteus Jones posted:

Maybe it's the self-published shorts he's talking about? I haven't read those yet.

Oh I didn't know those existed. I've only read the full novels.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
He's self-published a few things and he did hire an editor for those and they did still have more typos than something traditionally published would. That's just the reality of self-pub: even if you pay someone to copy-edit, tradpubbed stuff gets many more eyes on it before it gets published.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Megazver posted:

OMGOMGOMG
I clicked that link so hard so fast. Thanks for the share!

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Ugh, I'm reading the prequel again to find the first passage like that and I'm wanting every character in the copy shop to die in a fire, including the main character.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.
The new Twenty Palaces novella (The Twisted Path) is interesting. Connolly seems to want to take the story in a bit of a new direction because we actually get to see a little bit of the inner workings of the society itself. It's a little short and feels a bit rushed (story wise, not quality wise), but is well worth it if you enjoyed the other Twenty Palaces stuff. I hope that he keeps working at the 20P universe, it is interesting enough to make me want to read more.

Re: quality of his releases. I own literally every single Connolly book on my Kindle and, aside from a few niggles, notice nothing terrible with regards to editing? Sure, sometimes a "he" will be written instead of a "him" (This happened once in The Twisted Path, so I'm using it as an example), but that happens in books that are published through large publishers from time to time as well.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
New stuff on Brief Cases, including cover art.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

USMC_Karl posted:

The new Twenty Palaces novella (The Twisted Path) is interesting. Connolly seems to want to take the story in a bit of a new direction because we actually get to see a little bit of the inner workings of the society itself. It's a little short and feels a bit rushed (story wise, not quality wise), but is well worth it if you enjoyed the other Twenty Palaces stuff. I hope that he keeps working at the 20P universe, it is interesting enough to make me want to read more.

Re: quality of his releases. I own literally every single Connolly book on my Kindle and, aside from a few niggles, notice nothing terrible with regards to editing? Sure, sometimes a "he" will be written instead of a "him" (This happened once in The Twisted Path, so I'm using it as an example), but that happens in books that are published through large publishers from time to time as well.
I just want a follow-up to A Key, an Egg, an Unfortunate Remark .

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

I'm really happy to see AAAA Wizardry reprinted. It takes place in a neighboring town to mine.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Mr Scumbag posted:

How's book 2? I listened to the first book and was pretty unimpressed. It felt like it was pretty average UF but it might just be that I need a break from the genre.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
As I recall the series is fairly consistent in quality, so I doubt you're going to like book 2 much better. I enjoyed reading the Daniel Faust series (not so much the spin-off with Harmony Black), but "pretty average UF" is a fair description.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The later Faust books (starting with 2, I think) put a twist on the standard UF formula in that they are heist stories as opposed to following the typical detective plot. They're enjoyable, all in all.
Then again, I like Harmony Black too (Glass Predator aside, that book was pointless).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

anilEhilated posted:

The later Faust books (starting with 2, I think) put a twist on the standard UF formula in that they are heist stories as opposed to following the typical detective plot. They're enjoyable, all in all.
Then again, I like Harmony Black too (Glass Predator aside, that book was pointless).

For heist-focused urban fantasy I'd recommend the Alex Verus books by Benedict Jacka over Faust. I read the first couple Faust books and couldn't keep going -- they just felt hacky, for lack of a better word. I couldn't really get past the "super special succubus girlfriend" thing, and the Vegas setting was done much better by Tim Powers in Last Call.

Alex Verus books have their own issues -- literally everything these days is set in London -- but they have solid characterization and the pacing is lickety-split, with very strong action scenes (the writer is high involved in the x-com modding scene and it shows; very tactical combat descriptions).

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 21, 2017

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Nice hat :D

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I read the first couple Faust books and couldn't keep going -- they just felt hacky, for lack of a better word. I couldn't really get past the "super special succubus girlfriend" thing, and the Vegas setting was done much better by Tim Powers in Last Call.

Alex Verus books have their own issues -- literally everything these days is set in London -- but they have solid characterization and the pacing is lickety-split, with very strong action scenes (the writer is high involved in the x-com modding scene and it shows; very tactical combat descriptions).

I also feel like the Felix Castor series by Mike Carey hits most of the same notes as the Daniel Faust series does, only better in basically every single way.

That series ended at book 5, so it's not ongoing, but it's got a succubus friend that's actually awesome and it generally has that shady demon involved exorcist with underworld ties feeling of the first few Faust books without all the "super special demon girlfriend" crap that goes along with them.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Khizan posted:

I also feel like the Felix Castor series by Mike Carey hits most of the same notes as the Daniel Faust series does, only better in basically every single way.

That series ended at book 5, so it's not ongoing, but it's got a succubus friend that's actually awesome and it generally has that shady demon involved exorcist with underworld ties feeling of the first few Faust books without all the "super special demon girlfriend" crap that goes along with them.

I'm not gonna lie, I used to get Felix Castor and Daniel Faust mixed up when trying to describe them here because of loving Felix Faust in comic books.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

For heist-focused urban fantasy I'd recommend the Alex Verus books by Benedict Jacka over Faust. I read the first couple Faust books and couldn't keep going -- they just felt hacky, for lack of a better word. I couldn't really get past the "super special succubus girlfriend" thing, and the Vegas setting was done much better by Tim Powers in Last Call.

Yeah I enjoyed Verus. I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought the succubus girlfriend was laaaame. Seems like I just can't stomach UF a tier below the top grade. I couldn't get into The Laundry Files either. So far I've been listening to Cinder Spires on audiobook and it's not bad. Certainly better than Alera at least.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Xtanstic posted:

Yeah I enjoyed Verus. I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought the succubus girlfriend was laaaame. Seems like I just can't stomach UF a tier below the top grade. I couldn't get into The Laundry Files either. So far I've been listening to Cinder Spires on audiobook and it's not bad. Certainly better than Alera at least.

The other top tier UF is the Rivers of London series.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
What's a good "urban" fantasy set in rural America? I want to read a fantasy book in a mundane setting and no city, let alone London, is mundane to me.

Anyone read Winter's Bone? That kind of setting would be perfect.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Haunted Mesa by Louis L’amore is proto-urban fantasy crossed with a western. It’s rural as gently caress.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

The other top tier UF is the Rivers of London series.

Also The Rook series even though Stiletto was a letdown.

Basically I'm running on fumes for things to listen to while walking my dog. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gerg_861
Jan 2, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

What's a good "urban" fantasy set in rural America? I want to read a fantasy book in a mundane setting and no city, let alone London, is mundane to me.

Anyone read Winter's Bone? That kind of setting would be perfect.

I enjoyed the first few Pitchfork County novels. They are set in a rural county (in Kentucky maybe?) filled with meth addict cultists and swamp witches. Protagonist is a bit like a nerfed Sandman Slim.