Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I'm missing the sweet sound of shattering mobs, suggest me a good go fast build with HoI or some kind of shatter

im thinking maybe some kind of inquisitor, I miss DEATH TO SIN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Awesome! posted:

movement speed is fine im just salty from a lab run where they chose to hit the wrong thing 100% of the time in every izaro phase

srs is notably terrible at izaro

eventually you do enough damage it doesn't matter and he dies super quickly, but before then is rough

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

I'm missing the sweet sound of shattering mobs, suggest me a good go fast build with HoI or some kind of shatter

EK nova or freeze pulse w/ void batteries

if you do EK nova you cant actually do EK until like 60 or 70 bc the dex threshold you use is in shadow's part of the tree

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Kild posted:

D2 has 3 respecs total for your char from Akali IIRC and D2 is an entirely different game with outright immunities to things.

I'm just saying that if I decided Spectral throw wasn't working for me and I wanted to respec and invest into a new build it would cost me a fuckload when in d2 [and even d3] it would just be two clicks and I can begin new without having to play 15 acts [d2] [d3 doesn't have acts once you beat the game one time you can just do rifts forever which owns, but it's in a bad game which doesn't own]

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

that doesnt look a good place to hunt tora...

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Dizz posted:

I'm just saying that if I decided Spectral throw wasn't working for me and I wanted to respec and invest into a new build it would cost me a fuckload when in d2 [and even d3] it would just be two clicks and I can begin new without having to play 15 acts [d2] [d3 doesn't have acts once you beat the game one time you can just do rifts forever which owns, but it's in a bad game which doesn't own]

Having some investment in your character decisions isn't a bad thing. It increases the longevity of the game and also acts as a currency sink. Take some ritalin and level a new guy.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Dizz posted:

if you went into d2 blind you'd probably use your respecs before you'd even reach hell baal tbh.

also it only costs a fuckload if you're trying to do something completely different and only specced into specific nodes before level 70 or some poo poo. I think that's the major hangup with any new player is they see sword nodes and then think they have to get it and only go sword nodes then they bitch and you open up their tree and its literally every sword node and they get overwhelmed because now they have to spec out of 50 god drat sword nodes. offshoot of this is they also are now forced 2 go the one good unique in some build or whatever and its really expensive and their build sucks bc they don't know how 2 search for rares either.

Kild fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Dec 14, 2017

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

White Wind ST/BF
Poet's Pen with EK full cold conversion (although I think this works better as a Raider)

Mr Tumbles
Jan 14, 2013
If sweet sweet shatter is what you're after then GC miners are a great option. It's still crazy strong and a great league starter since you can run maps and even do shaper runs with zero investment and garbage gear. Of course, its a bit of a glass cannon and it does mean you have to play with mines, but I guess you can't have everything.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Mr Tumbles posted:

If sweet sweet shatter is what you're after then GC miners are a great option. It's still crazy strong and a great league starter since you can run maps and even do shaper runs with zero investment and garbage gear. Of course, its a bit of a glass cannon and it does mean you have to play with mines, but I guess you can't have everything.

It's even stronger with all those gain % physical as extra damage

Id'd from a vault map

You could run two of those, a shaper hat with remote mine + trap/mine damage and a kaoms heart now too

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
How do frostblade builds do against bosses, especially if they have ancestral call now? Or are they all going to want a molten strike setup?

Was thinking of making a elementalist claw frostblade sort of thing.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Jazerus posted:

srs is notably terrible at izaro

eventually you do enough damage it doesn't matter and he dies super quickly, but before then is rough
I've never really had a problem. He gives you plenty of time to prep up to 20 skulls, and they should immediately stick to him like poo poo on a pig - after that you might get wanderers with his mechanics and adds, but if you keep close to him (like you should) it shouldn't be an issue because they tend to go for whoever's closest on spawn/kill.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

I've never made my own build, and the recent Ancestral Call support made me want to make an MS Berserker because meatballs.

https://pastebin.com/k703fZ0i

Anyone want to give me advice on the tree? :shobon: I don't have gear up besides the Ngamahu's since I'm only concerned with the tree itself.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

How do frostblade builds do against bosses, especially if they have ancestral call now? Or are they all going to want a molten strike setup?

Was thinking of making a elementalist claw frostblade sort of thing.

FB really doesn't need Ancestral Call, it already is a crowd clearer.

In the olden days I would have said skip the AC and just use your normal 6L to kill bosses, but nowadays these kids just use a fake 6l in their friggen helmet or even weapon to kill bosses with a completely different skill. :bahgawd:

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
I think inquisitor is in a much better place for elemental melee builds at the moment. I've been running an elemental reave/flurry build this league and its been performing very well so far with less than 10c of gear (I guess not including the tabula that I found), and it scales really hard. It's just a shame that prices of lycosaidae have been rocketing up, they were 30c a coupe of days in the league and now they are 150c. Gonna be a little while before i can afford one but I'm doing yellow maps comfortably.

My character is PrincessEleFlurry

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Stangg_187/characters

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Oskarm gloves and high accuracy make Inquisitor attack builds great. I'm going to have ~5200 accuracy around level 90, which with those gloves translates into 52% to crit. They're loving insane and I'm not even doing a build that has a lot of accuracy options.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

Vasudus posted:

Oskarm gloves and high accuracy make Inquisitor attack builds great. I'm going to have ~5200 accuracy around level 90, which with those gloves translates into 52% to crit. They're loving insane and I'm not even doing a build that has a lot of accuracy options.

I didn't even know those existed, that's a great idea thanks! Also means I might not need to use Lycosidae and can use a stat stick Mace or something instead.

Actually running the numbers it seems oskarm are a dps loss vs any gloves with flat ele damage and attack speed with my current set up, even if I add some gear with flat accuracy. Maligaro's are still an upgrade though.

Stangg fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Dec 14, 2017

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Thanks for the cheevo, game?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You have uncovered a Harbinger Achievement.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Dizz posted:

except in d3 you might not have the gear so now you need to spend 1-X hours getting that gear which is about the same time you need to level up a new character and then you can go buy the gear off poe.trade.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm very much enjoying the elder/shaper stuff on the atlas, it's like watching white blood cells attack a virus and letting people experience some mechanic heavy boss fights in the t6 area instead of t16 really opens it's access.

Elerion
May 31, 2011

Stangg posted:

I didn't even know those existed, that's a great idea thanks! Also means I might not need to use Lycosidae and can use a stat stick Mace or something instead.

Actually running the numbers it seems oskarm are a dps loss vs any gloves with flat ele damage and attack speed with my current set up, even if I add some gear with flat accuracy. Maligaro's are still an upgrade though.

Increased critical strike chance is not a very strong mod for DPS. Oskarms are still strong if you’re stacking accuracy anyway, since the other stats are quite good and free curse is awesome.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Holyshoot posted:

except in d3 you might not have the gear so now you need to spend 1-X hours getting that gear which is about the same time you need to level up a new character and then you can go buy the gear off poe.trade.

Not really, you could still use the old build to speedclear rifts until you get desirable gear instead of having to make a new character and dealing with the slow and boring start all over again [and again and again depending on how finicky a person is]

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'm very much enjoying the elder/shaper stuff on the atlas, it's like watching white blood cells attack a virus and letting people experience some mechanic heavy boss fights in the t6 area instead of t16 really opens it's access.

Yeah, those guardian boss fights were no joke. Thank god my computer actually allows me to see and dodge enemy projectiles, otherwise i'd just be crying in a corner.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Dizz posted:

Not really, you could still use the old build to speedclear rifts until you get desirable gear instead of having to make a new character and dealing with the slow and boring start all over again [and again and again depending on how finicky a person is]

You can still use your old build to speedfarm maps until you have enough chaos to buy regrets instead of having to make a new character and dealing with the slow and boring start all over again [and again and again depending on how finicky a person is]

The point is, there's a cost to respeccing, and that's a good thing. If you disagree, engage with the fundamental point instead of sliding the goalposts around.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Shopping for ghastly jewels for spectres. Is there any way to tell how effective stacking flat damage is compared to percentage?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

lionseye tshot slayer with curse on hit herald of ice

fast and good and scales basically to infinity

what you lose in movement skills (blink arrow is kinda bad!) you gain in being able to clear the screen by spinning around shooting ice

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Dizz posted:

if you have currency you can make it not boring on the 2nd,3rd,4th time around., Buy a tabula, wunderlust, that resist helm and some lifesprigs and off you go. Leveling is only slow the first time around or if you're too poor to buy the good low level uniques. And you don't have to rely on RNG to get back to 70+(where most builds you want to play end game start). Meanwhile while you're speed clearing that rift you have to hope rng smiles on you and you get the set drops you need. Also if you're really good leveling to maps takes 4-6 hours with those good uniques. Four hours the first time around but not very many people can do it so I don't consider that worth saying.

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

lionseye tshot slayer with curse on hit herald of ice

fast and good and scales basically to infinity

what you lose in movement skills (blink arrow is kinda bad!) you gain in being able to clear the screen by spinning around shooting ice

I like blink arrow, but I really wish they'd replace the cooldown with just limiting you to one minion from the skill.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

MMF Freeway posted:

Shopping for ghastly jewels for spectres. Is there any way to tell how effective stacking flat damage is compared to percentage?

I had to create custom jewels in PoB to check. Generally I found percent based from normal jewels to be better for my build.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
That elder jewel that gives pen and base crit chance :stare:

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

Holyshoot posted:

if you have currency you can make it not boring on the 2nd,3rd,4th time around., Buy a tabula, wunderlust, that resist helm and some lifesprigs and off you go. Leveling is only slow the first time around or if you're too poor to buy the good low level uniques. And you don't have to rely on RNG to get back to 70+(where most builds you want to play end game start). Meanwhile while you're speed clearing that rift you have to hope rng smiles on you and you get the set drops you need. Also if you're really good leveling to maps takes 4-6 hours with those good uniques. Four hours the first time around but not very many people can do it so I don't consider that worth saying.

D3 is indeed more accessible than PoE, yes.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
Am I missing something or has the increased xp requirements for leveling from 95-100 not really slowed down the race to 100? Have the atlas and density changes increased XPH?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So I haven't played this game for a long time.. like when Act 3 (the third run-through difficulty level) was the end of the game.

Is there a somewhat brief newbie guide of some kind that I could find to get up to speed on the game if I wanted to start playing again? I'd probably start fresh, not use any of my assuredly massively outdated characters.

Somewhat related, when I look at my list of characters on the website (haven't launched the game yet since I'm working) a couple of them have red asterisks next to them, and they are sort of greyed out and can't be clicked on. Does that mean they've freed up the name and someone else got it, or did they reduce the number of character slots at some point so I can't get to those ones anymore? Any idea?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

The Locator posted:

Is there a somewhat brief newbie guide of some kind that I could find to get up to speed on the game if I wanted to start playing again? I'd probably start fresh, not use any of my assuredly massively outdated characters.
if you're familiar with how poe works it's probably best to just start again and know "they added more things to kill and more stuff to pick up", then google your questions. all of the noob guides are "how do gems work" and "what is an arpg"

start fresh in abyss league

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Yeah, the difference between PoE then and now is basically a whole new game entirely. I wouldn't bother touching any of those old characters (the red asterisk thing is probably purging of character names, iirc there's a 1 year account inactivity limit) and just start fresh.

Have you gone through the OP?

Also, there's an in-game help system which doesn't entirely blow (that I wish I could have it stop popping up every league; I know what a loving map is game, I have multiple level 90 characters).

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

The Locator posted:

So I haven't played this game for a long time.. like when Act 3 (the third run-through difficulty level) was the end of the game.

Somewhat related, when I look at my list of characters on the website (haven't launched the game yet since I'm working) a couple of them have red asterisks next to them, and they are sort of greyed out and can't be clicked on. Does that mean they've freed up the name and someone else got it, or did they reduce the number of character slots at some point so I can't get to those ones anymore? Any idea?

I dunno about the red asterisks, but some big things that have changed:
Each class has three subclasses, called Ascendancies, to pick from (aside from Scion who has one weird subclass), which for the most part have massively game-changing passives available to them.
You get your subclass by doing a labyrinth, a little superdungeon where once you enter it you cannot leave it without resetting the labyrinth.
Jewels can be slotted in to certain passive nodes on the passive tree (and this current league's loot gimmick is based around them!), they have random stats and can be rolled like any other item.
There's a big ol' help glossary in the game now that actually serves as a really good guide to basic stuff, and will recommend you open it to certain entries at various points in the game.
You can buy any skill gem from vendors now (with five unimportant exceptions, unless you're playing a miner in which case it is four).
Changes to mapping since you played and the pantheon system are both explained pretty clearly in the game once you reach them.

I recommend looking up a build guide. You don't have to stick to it 100%, and you can switch out your skill gems to try new poo poo super easily now that you can get them from vendors.
Popular builds this league are Molten Strike (Notably works well with literally any Duelist or Marauder Ascendancy), Specter summoners, and Glacial Cascade mines.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'm doing spectres and it's a little more involved than what I would say a beginner class is.

Ancestral warchief is very straight forward as also is the old flame totem chieftain.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Thanks. I did read the OP, lots of changes and stuff to try to wrap my head around. Looks like they've been really busy adding to and improving the game.

I always follow guides because I can never really conceptualize how the different stuff works together to get the effects so I just blindly follow someone else's work, as long as it's fun. The problem is when they write the guide assuming you have 'x' uber rare items at certain levels, which I never have, so I try to read through the entire guide to make sure that's not the case.

The OP does list some newbie guides but they are all YT video based and I'm old and would much rather have a written guide that I can refer to, so was sort of hoping something like that existed.

I probably won't get a chance to play until Christmas weekend but do have some time to read stuff while I'm working from home a couple days of the week, so just trying to gather some knowledge before I jump back in.

Definitely will just start a new character, and I know I purchased a few extra tabs when I was playing before to support the game, since it was awesome.

I'm really a slow methodical type player, so I'm not sure the leagues interest me at all, but I'll see how that goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What kind of character do you want to play.