Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jimmy Noskill posted:

I used to love playing horror games way back in the day, but ever since I switched away from my ancient CRT monitor I've found myself unable to get properly in the mood. Most of the dark places in games just look like a gray mess instead of the pitch-black pits of terror that they're supposed to be and it keeps me from getting properly immersed. Does anyone have any recommendations for a monitor that is actually capable of being dark? I know that modern monitors can't do darkness as well as the old CRTs, but surely there must be something out there that's at least passable.

Drop several thousand on an OLED monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

I liked DDLC, I thought it was worth a play-through, though I'm not that excited about having to go back for the perfect play-through. One thing I really liked was where the musical theme came from :unsmith:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So there's gonna be a spin off title staring Joe Baker from RE7, right?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Close! There's going to be a Meet Joe Black spinoff.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Damnit, End of Zoe is the kind of game I want to see of some Swamp dude just kicking the poo poo out of zombies, punching monsters and gators to death with his fists and not trusting a loving PMC UMBRELLA INC, HOLY poo poo, YOU MADE A GODDAMN PHARMACEUTICAL COMPANY THAT CREATED BIO-TERRORISM BECOME AN ACTUAL GODDAMN PRIVATE MILITARY IN ORDER TO "UNDO THEIR DAMAGE" AND REDEEM THEMSELVES?! THE gently caress RE USA?!

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

The countless lost members of the UBCS weep as they are once again forgotten.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

RE is an alternate universe where the difference isn't the existence of magical viruses, but rather the total inability of anyone not named Barry Burton to make good decisions.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If you haven't gotten to the final boss of End of Zoe, it's loving magical. Man they did good with RE7 overall.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

End of Zoe is like 20 years of raw, angry, uninhibited lashback at the bullshit of RE, delivered one raging fist at a time

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I wish they went with a different name because I keep mentally pronouncing it "zoh" and thinking "wait, Capcom released a new Zone of the Enders??? How did they get that from Konami and is Kojima on board?"

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Jimmy Noskill posted:

I used to love playing horror games way back in the day, but ever since I switched away from my ancient CRT monitor I've found myself unable to get properly in the mood. Most of the dark places in games just look like a gray mess instead of the pitch-black pits of terror that they're supposed to be and it keeps me from getting properly immersed. Does anyone have any recommendations for a monitor that is actually capable of being dark? I know that modern monitors can't do darkness as well as the old CRTs, but surely there must be something out there that's at least passable.
You should read the monitor thread in SH/SC, but basically, VA-type panels are supposed to be good for black levels. Bad for everything else, but their black levels kick the poo poo out of TN and IPS apparently.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I really need to retry RE7. I was really enjoying it, but right as I reached the Lucas part of the game I ended up in a seemingly unwinnable situation with no ammo but flamethrower ammo that was useless against the Molded and no way to just run past them because they were the fast kind. I ended up surrendering in frustration.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
end of zoe is fun but the joe must die difficulty is kind of terrible

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Played about an hour of Creeping Terror...and man, that was a dull as dishwater game. A ton of wasted, empty rooms, an impotent monster that combines being immensely slow with goofiness, and wrapped around what felt like super simple and easy game play. Which is a bummer cause it seemed like another game that could have been a new Clock Tower and just kinda failed. Nightcry, Claire, and I get a feeling like Remothered is just going to turn out to be another meh experience.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
really sucks the tension out of this first boss fight in re7 when i have to look up the solution because it's a puzzle and not an actual fight

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Relin posted:

really sucks the tension out of this first boss fight in re7 when i have to look up the solution because it's a puzzle and not an actual fight

Is it?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I had a lot of trouble with it. Couldn't figure out what to do when he gets in the car because after he spins out I couldn't avoid him just ramming me full speed. It took a couple tries to realize the keys were on the table and that was a faster, easier way to beat him than avoiding his attacks.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

al-azad posted:

I had a lot of trouble with it. Couldn't figure out what to do when he gets in the car because after he spins out I couldn't avoid him just ramming me full speed. It took a couple tries to realize the keys were on the table and that was a faster, easier way to beat him than avoiding his attacks.

There’s like 3 different ways that fight can go, but if he gets in the car you just need to dodge until he crashes. As long as you’re not terrible and avoid getting run over, the boss fight ends just by playing normally without firing a shot.

I don’t know of any boss fight in the game that’s so complicated as to require a guide for assistance.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

It has a puzzley solution but you absolutely can win by just doing enough damage to the guy. It's kinda the only one with a puzzle solution, really? The rest are just straight damage, although you probably won't feel like you're making progress and will start looking for an alternative solution that doesn't exist because the game has a bit of an issue with conveying that sort of thing.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

The Not A Hero DLC for RE7 is very good and is free so if you own RE7 and have beaten it you have no excuse to not experience Chris Redfield uppercutting zombies and shotgun blasting that fucker Lucas.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

End of Zoey is also amazing period.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

There’s like 3 different ways that fight can go, but if he gets in the car you just need to dodge until he crashes. As long as you’re not terrible and avoid getting run over, the boss fight ends just by playing normally without firing a shot.

I don’t know of any boss fight in the game that’s so complicated as to require a guide for assistance.

I just couldn't avoid him in the car. He starts peeling out and that's easy enough, but then you have a short window to intuit that you need to run up next to him or else he'll ram you and you move so goddamn slow. I was so baffled by it that I watched several people on youtube play the fight, all of them died to the car, then their next try they got in the car.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Yardbomb posted:

End of Zoey is also amazing period.

I watched John Wolfe play it and if RE8 lacks Zoe involved somehow I will be disappointed. If she survived long enough to resist a horrid bioweapon and got Ethan and Mia out alive I’d love to see her help take down Lucas for his betraying the family.

Joe Baker for MvC. Still want Jack and Marguerite as a pair in a future Project X Zone.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I watched John Wolfe play it and if RE8 lacks Zoe involved somehow I will be disappointed. If she survived long enough to resist a horrid bioweapon and got Ethan and Mia out alive I’d love to see her help take down Lucas for his betraying the family.

Joe Baker for MvC. Still want Jack and Marguerite as a pair in a future Project X Zone.

Did you hear? That guy up thread says RE7 is the last RE

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you
Unforgiving: A Northern Hymn is really loving solid, as far as horror games go. Check that poo poo out.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I get the feeling you missed Not A Hero, the free dlc that was released around/at the same time as End of Zoe. And you should check it! :)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Yancy_Street posted:

Unforgiving: A Northern Hymn is really loving solid, as far as horror games go. Check that poo poo out.

I checked it out after watching the markiplier LP and it looks really fascinating, especially with all the northern European folklore monsters.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Got Evil within 2 for Christmas and I like it so far after an hour.

Welp bye

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I bet a Resident Evil sequel based on 7 will try and incorporate some of the stuff from 1 and 2 that they might have felt were a bit riskier or might alienate people, beyond the first person perspective and more horror focused nature. Two or more playable characters with an interconnected campaign could be pretty cool, like in 2 where stuff you picked up as Leon would be missing in the Claire playthrough on the same save but even more impactful.

Maybe something like, you pick who you play as and go in with them first, on a pretty standard Resident Evil mission with it being a deteriorating situation and items being relatively plentiful. Then something goes wrong and you have to pick the second and third to go in to the same area but much worse a few days later for a rescue mission.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Yancy_Street posted:

once it is 5 dollars i surely will

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Mindblast posted:

I get the feeling you missed Not A Hero, the free dlc that was released around/at the same time as End of Zoe. And you should check it! :)

I totally did! Thanks, now I’ll have to. I had an impression it would be further apart from the main story for some reason.

I got The Freddy Files for Christmas and it’s a fun game guide that addresses popular theories and even has easy pizza recipes that I’m totally making for New Years.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
More information about Pathologic 2! :tem:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Gooood. Very excited to be sad, in an dying town

drat these gifs are big

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

So they're basically condensing all of the first game into one character and actually trying to focus on the disease being a big deal instead of some magical force of nature among other crazy poo poo?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Knorth posted:

Gooood. Very excited to be sad, in an dying town

drat these gifs are big

That gif makes it look like the game belongs in VR.

Actually the whole emphasis on "touching" makes it sound like this game would be perfect for VR. Obviously not worth pursuing, being a niche of a niche, for a developer like them, but I can dream...

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 28, 2017

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Where did you hear they're switching to a single character POV? That's news to me

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

goferchan posted:

Where did you hear they're switching to a single character POV? That's news to me

Yeah I haven't read that in any of the Kickstarter updates but maybe I'm remembering wrong?

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I bet Capcom is going to make all their new RE games with the new engine going forward, and I am very okay with that.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

oldpainless posted:

Got Evil within 2 for Christmas and I like it so far after an hour.

Welp bye

EW2 is an improvement in every way over the original in my opinion. The semi-open world stuff is done really well and it strikes a great balance between "you should hide" and "shotgun murder spree".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Just picked up SOMA during the holiday Steam sale and binged my way through it in 12 or 13 hours. I went into it (mostly) blind, but for some reason one of my initial misunderstandings was that--because it seemed like it was unfavorably compared to Alien: Isolation so much, particularly with regards to enemy AI--the game was just okay.

As it turns out, I believe I had the wrong idea about SOMA over the past couple of years: I felt like it was a fantastic, thought-provoking, and tense game with some really cool scenarios and genuinely depressing plot points. I was also surprised at how long it seemed to run, even though I never felt like it overstayed its welcome. All-in-all, TOTALLY worth the $5.99 I paid for it, and definitely one of my favorite horror games in the past couple of years.