Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

actually the best space move player of games text is literally how the book ends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

came here to post this

this is how much these people hate us. this is the contempt they have for us

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

ajit pai seems like a cool dude

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Agile Vector posted:

actually the best space move player of games text is literally how the book ends

i was angry when i realized this was the case

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Roosevelt posted:

ajit pai seems like a cool dude

:mad:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
invertebrate brain: hell yeah

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

(CNN)Children continue to eat a dangerously large number of laundry detergent packets, new data show.

Calls to poison control centers increased 17% from 2013 through 2014, according to an analysis of national poison data published Monday in the journal Pediatrics.
More than 22,000 children, mostly under age 3, were exposed to laundry packets in that period. About 30% of them were "already in or en route" to health care facilities when the call for help came in.

drat monkey brains

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

sometimes i think i experience a different form of reality compared to most people

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

creationist believer posted:

invertebrate brain: hell yeah

the invertebrate brain is just happy not to be constantly in danger of being eaten

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
someone brought this up but it makes sense: rp1 is a robot chicken sketch that's way too long and is utterly devoid of self-awareness or irony

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

howdy pardner

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

this is not ready player one, ready player one is an atari controller and also no kids ever

TOOT BOOT posted:

It seems really insufferable based on that image everyone keeps posting but I imagine RPO could work as a movie where every reference isn't explicitly spelled out for you.

that would just be a typical movie

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

god loving drat it who the gently caress likes this poo poo

white men who are age 40-50 as of 2017 and thus within the age range ready player one was written for

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Improbable Lobster posted:

the invertebrate brain is just happy not to be constantly in danger of being eaten

hell yeah

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

fishmech posted:

this is not ready player one, ready player one is an atari controller and also no kids ever

that would just be a typical movie

white men who are age 40-50 as of 2017 and thus within the age range ready player one was written for

maybe so but gently caress that piece of garbage.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
ernest cline almost certainly tried to hit on teenage girls over internet chat in like 2009 or whatever when he was already like 37

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

you say that in the past tense…

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

the moment 80s trends came back you know he drove to the local hot topic in a rusted delorean and tried lines from fast times at ridgemont high on them

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

not wrong

century of modern marketing wasn't lost of dumb brains

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i don't recall people never shutting the gently caress up about great 60's pop culture in the 90s, or 70's poo poo in the naughty-aughties. what is it about the loving 80s

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

You don't remember hippies?

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

idk what exactly's going on here, but if they hollowed out that loaf and stuffed a bunch of sandwich filling in it, then party on wayne

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

PokeJoe posted:

i don't recall people never shutting the gently caress up about great 60's pop culture in the 90s, or 70's poo poo in the naughty-aughties. what is it about the loving 80s

Wasn't the 80's like the last real distinctive era? The 90's- now are pretty much just a bland never ending run on?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

cursed image

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Meskhenet posted:

Wasn't the 80's like the last real distinctive era? The 90's- now are pretty much just a bland never ending run on?

the 90s has everyone dressing like lumberjacks when they weren’t done up like those space teens from tmnt for raves

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PokeJoe posted:

there was literally a tv show called "that 70s show"

happy days was also a thing

nostalgia as content is nothing new, rp1 hate is just an inverted form of nerd gatekeeping

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Meskhenet posted:

youre probably right that decades are getting blurred wrt whatevers popular. all i know is that early 90s was a lot of neon and now it's hitler youth and man bun haircuts. 2000 - 2010 has no identity for me

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Meskhenet posted:

I definitely wouldn't say the 90s have a lot in common with now. Having a gay person with AIDS on a TV show was like a huge thing, the internet was still a thing for computer nerds, you could still make a decent living as a musician without being a Beyonce tier artist, no one even thought about terrorism, etc etc

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
is there a german word for the satisfaction you feel at having panned something lovely that everyone started to love years later?

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
the last two movies i saw in the theater were both set in 2003 and they all but confirm that there really is not any distinct identity to the early 00s, which jibes with what i remember

computer monitors were fatter, phones had smaller screens and flipped open, but that's about it. cars looked the same as they do now; fashion trends might as well be the same; the music sounds the same

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
in the 90s wb created a superhero that derived his powers from the internet

his family likely saw it as child abduction, which was a common fear of the internet at that time

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

in the 90s wb created a superhero that derived his powers from the internet

his family likely saw it as child abduction, which was a common fear of the internet at that time

freakazoid?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

hmm you guys are right, ive managed to somehow forget about those other nostalgia shows but i guess this stuff isnt really that different.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
in the late 1970s there was a big nostalgia for the largely-imagined good old days of the 1950s, as seen with things like grease and happy days

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Stymie posted:

there was literally a tv show called "that 70s show"

happy days was also a thing

nostalgia as content is nothing new, rp1 hate is just an inverted form of nerd gatekeeping

rp1 is extremely racist wrt asians (honorable urtra-manu-san) and super duper misogynist (the protagonist was scared his internet girlfriend was fat but she just had a scar, bullet dodge)

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i think those don't bother me as much because they're sort of period pieces? like they have plots and things that aren't just a mish-mash of references.

"do you remember invasion of the body snatchers?" - fonzie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Future RP1:

It was a chilly fall day, just like every day since yesterday. The leaves swirled around like a million multicolored spidermen lilting drunkenly through the finger family song. In an alley nearby, charlie brown was pissing in garfield's refrigerator, angry that he got his period before the rest of his class. SlayQueen TayTay had seen it all before. "I wonder if I'm gay?" Ronald McDonald Trump ejaculated from a telememe screen floating next to the Uber4One jitney. She was ready to make money moves, it wasn't me shakirashakira.

• Locked thread