Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

jony neuemonic posted:

nbsd was right: no matter how good c# is, it doesn't make up for how bad windows shops are.

jfc.

Was expecting this to be a MALE SHOEGAZE post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

gonadic io posted:

Was expecting this to be a MALE SHOEGAZE post

give it time.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i cant imagine how hard it is to get anything done in a windows shop

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
what makes windows shops so bad? genuinely curious

i'm not much involved in windows stuff except for a mobile app built in xamarin, which i don't hate (much). so far my biggest problem is with team foundation, cuz 1) vs constantly drops the server connection and 2) its only merge strategy appears to be giving up

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

DaTroof posted:

what makes windows shops so bad? genuinely curious

small sample size so ymmv but:

- a general attitude that Microsoft Knows Best, real hard to get people on-board with anything that wasn't personally handed down from Ballmer Nadella.
- IT departments that treat computers as too darn scary for anyone else. i came in after the developers here managed to get permission to install developer tools, thank god, but it was apparently a huge fight.
- some of the gnarliest legacy code imaginable. every company more than a few years old has legacy code, but microsoft's old stuff is godawful. i haven't seen a windows shop yet that doesn't have a big vb hairball running at its core.
- windows is still a second-class citizen to most everyone outside microsoft. it's getting better, but there's still a lot of tools that don't feel quite right on windows.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

DELETE CASCADE posted:

there is not. it's all a garbage fire and your instincts are right

avoid javascript and webdev in general at all costs

i knew it was bad, but i didn't expect everything i'd heard to be literally true. i thought some of it was hyperbole, but gently caress...

so what's the hot framework-of-the-day for making javascript marginally less terrible right now? that seems to be how it works in js, pick whatever framework is the new hotness, then be disappointed in entirely different ways compared to yesterday's garbage

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

so what's the hot framework-of-the-day for making javascript marginally less terrible right now? that seems to be how it works in js, pick whatever framework is the new hotness, then be disappointed in entirely different ways compared to yesterday's garbage

https://stateofjs.com/2017/introduction/ is this year's survey on what people are using for frontend, backend, state management, testing, utilities, etc. There was a bunch of useful stuff in there that I wasn't even aware of.

I'm only do casual webdev so I don't want to invest a lot of time deciding between tech. I generally pick the one that's the most-used, has good support (e.g. backed by a big company and lots of StackOverflow threads), and has been around for a while.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

i knew it was bad, but i didn't expect everything i'd heard to be literally true. i thought some of it was hyperbole, but gently caress...

none of the poo poo slung at javascript is hyperbole, its all really bad (because its a bad language).

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

It's not really a framework, but using Typescript goes a good way towards making JS less-atrocious.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

minato posted:

https://stateofjs.com/2017/introduction/ is this year's survey on what people are using for frontend, backend, state management, testing, utilities, etc. There was a bunch of useful stuff in there that I wasn't even aware of.

why is npm shuffled in with webpack and gulp???

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

so last time i posted in this thread i mentioned i would have to write a photoshop plugin and that the first api i found was a native one which, among other things, mentioned something called symantec c++ which apparently might have been a thing that existed in this timeline at some point in the past, present, or possibly some dystopian future. then i found a javascript based api, and for the first time in my life i was happy to hear the word javascript

this was a month ago

in the past month, i've slowly realized that i hate everything about webdev. i mean, i already knew that, but most of my experience largely involved writing some simple tools in php so that non-technical women and/or children, and even manchildren, would be able to use them. but this is so much worse than anything else i've ever had to deal with before. i'm actively longing for my days of writing low level cross platform windows/linux networking, ipc, and synchronization code. at least i had actual documentation back then. at least i had functions that told me what they wanted, and what they'd give me, even if that was a void* a good chunk of the time

from my experience so far, it's my belief that by every conceivable metric, it should be impossible to write more than 50 or so lines of javascript without being unable to use your own code, let alone build a modern website or whatnot. so i've got to ask: is there a point where javascript and its associated frameworks and tech just... clicks? there's bound to be something i'm missing here, like patterns that everyone re-uses without explicitly mentioning them, or maybe i just don't have a solid-enough grasp of the underlying concepts or... i don't know.

i'm seriously starting to think that the prototype i made in python that parsed psd files manually might have been the right approach instead of using the real photoshop api

the web is all bad and javascript is the worst of it. I would recommend using asp.net to lessen the pain, but you will still have pain.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Eleeleth posted:

It's not really a framework, but using Typescript goes a good way towards making JS less-atrocious.

that would require definition files to be provided for the apis i use. or for me to make them myself, but then i'm back to the problem of having lovely documentation and no idea what it is those functions want me to feed them, and what exactly they'll poo poo out at me afterwards

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Dongslayer. posted:

my data structures and algo professor got fired for covering only about thirty percent of the material. finals are next week

posting this for future reference

there's a professor at my university who is actively loving hundreds of people with this but he apparently has dirt on the administration because every complaint promptly gets dumped in a shredder

e: we legitimately spent 3 weeks on chapter 1

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

react has been the flavor of the month for about 24 months now, which is an eternity in javascript land

react is pretty much the only framework where you can crank out a large volume of webshit code and have any real confidence that you can predict what will happen when it runs

react-scripts (usually referred to as create-react-app) is a canned build system for it that covers most of the common use cases so you don't have to descend into an insane rabbit hole of babel and webpack just to get to Hello World

find a way to make TypeScript work with react-scripts. i personally use Flow instead because it's a first-party thing from the same guys who made react but it's still a bit new.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

our react + typescript spa is pretty ok to work with

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

for the first time in in a while i am completely perplexed why this sql query i wrote is not getting me the dataset i want

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Sapozhnik posted:

react has been the flavor of the month for about 24 months now, which is an eternity in javascript land

react is pretty much the only framework where you can crank out a large volume of webshit code and have any real confidence that you can predict what will happen when it runs

react-scripts (usually referred to as create-react-app) is a canned build system for it that covers most of the common use cases so you don't have to descend into an insane rabbit hole of babel and webpack just to get to Hello World

find a way to make TypeScript work with react-scripts. i personally use Flow instead because it's a first-party thing from the same guys who made react but it's still a bit new.

awesome, i chose react after looking at that link posted earlier!

and i was exactly at the babel rabbit hole part, having spent most of the afternoon punching random commands i found around the web into npm and trying to figure out what the hell a module loader is and... well you get the idea

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

HoboMan posted:

for the first time in in a while i am completely perplexed why this sql query i wrote is not getting me the dataset i want

post the query and the schema

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

DELETE CASCADE posted:

post the query and the schema

i am not going to type the creeping horror that is this query and our schema on my phone

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

HoboMan posted:

i am not going to type the creeping horror that is this query and our schema on my phone

take a photo

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

sorry if you wanted to see horrifying sql, but i figured it out

the final product uses temp tables, subqueries, and dynamic sql

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
seems like standard sql to me

in react news, react-scripts did make it amazingly simple and i was able to get the tree view component i want to use up and running in minutes, which is pretty much a miracle. more importantly, i was able to add an input field inside a node and it just worked. like, i added an <input> to the jsx and a text field appeared in my tree without having to setup some event callback or pasting some code from stackoverflow or summoning the anti-christ. it doesn't seem like much, but my standards have been significantly lowered over the past weeks so that adding an html tag that has existed since the year of our lord nineteen hundred and ninety three or so to an existing control isn't something i take for granted anymore

now i just need to figure out how to shove react up photoshop's diseased rear end in a top hat and i'll be able to start on what i set out to do weeks ago. i'm sure this is gonna be a smooth and enjoyable process for everyone involved

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

how to explain to a coworker who has never used git before the entire idea behind code review/pull requests/branching etc because they just roll eyes and moan about necessity of option to "lock out files so other person can not work on thing i work on"

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

cinci zoo sniper posted:

how to explain to a coworker who has never used git before the entire idea behind code review/pull requests/branching etc because they just roll eyes and moan about necessity of option to "lock out files so other person can not work on thing i work on"

instead of taking out fine grained locks you work off a complete snapshot and then apply changes

locking will prevent editing conflicts, but doesn't enforce a history

with snapshots + changes, you get a nice timeline, which makes undoing changes easy

unfortunately git is a terrible piece of software

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

now i just need to figure out how to shove react up photoshop's diseased rear end in a top hat and i'll be able to start on what i set out to do weeks ago. i'm sure this is gonna be a smooth and enjoyable process for everyone involved

i know you can use all the modern javascript niceties (like modules and typescript), compile and minify that into an ES5 blob that only exposes a single global entry point, because i've done it. that should work with "everything". i used it with kettle, but i imagine it should work with photoshop too

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

that would require definition files to be provided for the apis i use. or for me to make them myself, but then i'm back to the problem of having lovely documentation and no idea what it is those functions want me to feed them, and what exactly they'll poo poo out at me afterwards

https://github.com/hansottowirtz/adobe-typescript-generator

https://github.com/felixSchl/photoshop.d.ts

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2353067

any of these links helpful?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

tef posted:

instead of taking out fine grained locks you work off a complete snapshot and then apply changes

locking will prevent editing conflicts, but doesn't enforce a history

with snapshots + changes, you get a nice timeline, which makes undoing changes easy

unfortunately git is a terrible piece of software

ty, this worked with minor alterations

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

holy poo poo, yes they are

i'd found some incomplete typescript definition files in the official adobe samples and sort of assumed no one had done it, but i guess i was wrong!

oh and i've found someone who got react into photoshop so that's that solved to, probably. anyhow, thanks terrible programmers. thtp

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Locks are bad but git is bad too

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Is there a better alternative to git?

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

pangstrom posted:

everytging is bad but i guess i wasted less time futzing with commit history using stuff that is not git so i'm going to say anything

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

pangstrom posted:

regardless of your opinion of git, absolutely not

everything else is The Worst

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

pangstrom posted:

there literally is not

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i am very bad at computer, and git is the only vcs where all of my fuckups were reversible

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

pangstrom posted:

having used git, svn, and tfs, ime git is by far the least painful

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
supposedly mercurial is better but enjoy being on an island that nobody else other than facebook interacts with

everybody uses git, you're stuck with it

sorry

Smoke_Max
Sep 7, 2011

in my dreams, darcs is still the best vcs

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

supposedly mercurial is better but enjoy being on an island that nobody else other than facebook interacts with

everybody uses git, you're stuck with it

sorry

yep. mercurial is better but not by enough to give up being able to easily google your fuckups.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I like git (or at least github), haven't had any major issues but other than using svn until 5-ish years ago I don't have any other experiences and I am an "underpowered" user or whatever. Version control stuff not being flawless seems like a recipe for horror stories, though, I just haven't experienced any of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

someone saying typesystems are bad posted:

its easier to not aim at your foot than design guns that don't point down

• Locked thread