Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Oh hey, the season-finale episode of The Orville is about the Prime Directive and affecting primitive cultures.

And it's a really good take on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

mods change my name posted:

I wish the Vulcans would come save us.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

it's illogical for a woman not to have huge honkin tits

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Should I recognize the person or is it just the Wrath of Khan reference?

(I'm fine with it either way I just want to know before I share it elsewhere)

...also, do inlined twimg.com images not show for anyone else? Seems like I always have to quote and then copy/paste the URL.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

...also, do inlined twimg.com images not show for anyone else? Seems like I always have to quote and then copy/paste the URL.

They don't show up because they're not https iirc.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
How many torpedoes are in a full spread? Asking for a friend.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Into Darkness reference.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Volcott posted:

How many torpedoes are in a full spread? Asking for a friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIGxMENwq1k

The nerd explanation is that it depends on the Dispersal Pattern. "Full Spread" means a maximum amount of torpedos for whatever pattern they are using. So "Sierra" is five in a pentagon shape. Sometimes it's 3 in a triangle, sometimes it's 4 in a Square.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

VictorianQueerLit posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIGxMENwq1k

The nerd explanation is that it depends on the Dispersal Pattern. "Full Spread" means a maximum amount of torpedos for whatever pattern they are using. So "Sierra" is five in a pentagon shape. Sometimes it's 3 in a triangle, sometimes it's 4 in a Square.

Wouldn't 5 in a pentagon, 3 in a triangle, or 4 in a square be the minimum amount of torpedos for the pattern?

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I just thought it meant "fire all the drat torpedo tubes" but of course there is some crazy nerd explanation

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The only issue that matters is if a Ferengi ship fires a maximum pattern of torpedoes do they refer to it as a full spread of torpedoes or a full consortium of torpedoes.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

Into Darkness reference.

You bastard

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I never quite understood how the Galaxy-class shits out 5 torpedoes at a time from that single launcher

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

I didn't watch this episode recently but I just read the Memory Alpha about it. After the Enterprise exchanges information with the Cytherians (for 10 whole days!), shouldn't Starfleet now have that subspace travel that Barclay used when his head was hooked up to the computer? I mean, the computers on the Enterprise should have logged everything that Barclay was doing while he was hooked up, and it seemed to work with what technology they had at the time, it was just changing the math. Did they do anything with this technology? I wonder if subspace distortion travel is faster than traveling via mushrooms.

I started watching ENT, I don't remember most of the episodes so it's pretty fun. Archer and T'Pol are cool. I wonder how much T'Pol and Seven influenced the current skin-tight yoga pants fashion trend.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

MA-Horus posted:

I never quite understood how the Galaxy-class shits out 5 torpedoes at a time from that single launcher

They got that poo poo hooked up with a five torpedo magazine. It's a space Chu-ko-nu.

*Is now suffering intense PTSD flashback of Age of Empires 2 LAN*

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

thylacine posted:

I didn't watch this episode recently but I just read the Memory Alpha about it. After the Enterprise exchanges information with the Cytherians (for 10 whole days!), shouldn't Starfleet now have that subspace travel that Barclay used when his head was hooked up to the computer? I mean, the computers on the Enterprise should have logged everything that Barclay was doing while he was hooked up, and it seemed to work with what technology they had at the time, it was just changing the math. Did they do anything with this technology? I wonder if subspace distortion travel is faster than traveling via mushrooms.

Same reason that one episode after Voyager no longer needed to get through Borg space, they just got rid of all the Borg enhancements.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

popewiles posted:

Wouldn't 5 in a pentagon, 3 in a triangle, or 4 in a square be the minimum amount of torpedos for the pattern?

This is getting way to into fictional weaponry mechanics but no. "minimum amount for the pattern" is discounting any number of shots that don't actually make the pattern the guns are set to.

You can still set your weapons to "PATTERN:Triangle" and only fire one or two torpedos, which would be identical to any other pattern. "Full Spread" means a full pattern of whatever the pre-set pattern is. The shows just don't go into the minutiae of what specific weapons protocols are in effect or who knows it. I assume while Picard is jerking off in his little office most of the day he is reading poo poo like that.

This is how I read nerds explaining it last night but it isn't even consistent in the show since sometimes they show a single torpedo splitting into five and the torpedos are completely harmless or unbelievably devastating depending on the plot. Nerds have explained away "Full Spread" meaning 5 different things and torpedos having wildly different effects as "Dispersal Patterns" and "Variable Yields" when those were only ever flashy technobabble to sexy up the show.

It's kinda like the evasive maneuver patterns. When Riker doesn't throw in a "Pattern: Riker Delta Five" to show everyone how big his dick is do they just use factory defaults and slowly weave from side to side?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Was this dude supposed to be the same species as the floating god-head from Star Trek 18: We Cut The Rock Monsters?

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Mods please change the thread title to exactly this image, gently caress the CSS, you're doin gods work.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

This is getting way to into fictional weaponry mechanics but no. "minimum amount for the pattern" is discounting any number of shots that don't actually make the pattern the guns are set to.

You can still set your weapons to "PATTERN:Triangle" and only fire one or two torpedos, which would be identical to any other pattern. "Full Spread" means a full pattern of whatever the pre-set pattern is. The shows just don't go into the minutiae of what specific weapons protocols are in effect or who knows it. I assume while Picard is jerking off in his little office most of the day he is reading poo poo like that.

This is how I read nerds explaining it last night but it isn't even consistent in the show since sometimes they show a single torpedo splitting into five and the torpedos are completely harmless or unbelievably devastating depending on the plot. Nerds have explained away "Full Spread" meaning 5 different things and torpedos having wildly different effects as "Dispersal Patterns" and "Variable Yields" when those were only ever flashy technobabble to sexy up the show.

It's kinda like the evasive maneuver patterns. When Riker doesn't throw in a "Pattern: Riker Delta Five" to show everyone how big his dick is do they just use factory defaults and slowly weave from side to side?

I challenge anyone to fire 3 torpedoes in a pattern other than a triangle.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

counterfeitsaint posted:

a straight line?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

counterfeitsaint posted:

======= =========
\\ // * * *
\#####(-

E: This was a bad ascii enterprise firing them in a straigt line but it didn't work good.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

counterfeitsaint posted:

if you got a problem with lines being classified as a dispersal pattern be sure to take it up with the federation appeals board in 400 years

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

A straight line is just a very shallow triangle.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Computer, create a line that even Data can not classify as a triangle

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

computer, add straps to the line

naem
May 29, 2011

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

if you got a problem with lines being classified as a dispersal pattern be sure to take it up with the federation appeals board in 400 years

If you look close enough any three objects that appear to be in a straight line will actually form an obtuse triangle. :colbert:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

"There are 4 torpedoes!"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

thylacine posted:

I started watching ENT, I don't remember most of the episodes so it's pretty fun. Archer and T'Pol are cool. I wonder how much T'Pol and Seven influenced the current skin-tight yoga pants fashion trend.

Presumably all the information they received would have to be studied and decrypted first. You could recite the exact manufacturing steps for creating a combustion engine to an ant, but that doesn’t mean the ant can turn around and make their own.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Computer, create a race of hyperintelligent ants, disable safety protocols.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

popewiles posted:

all of those numbers are also, conveniently, the maximum in those patterns.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

counterfeitsaint posted:

If you look close enough any three objects that appear to be in a straight line will actually form an obtuse triangle. :colbert:

Well they're certainly obtuse, but I don't see a triangle.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Volcott posted:

Computer, create a race of hyperintelligent ants, disable safety protocols.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Reed is the perfect embodiment of ENT. He's boring and unlikable and the one, single B-plot ever devoted to him involved interviewing all his family, friends, and colleagues and all any of them had to say was that he was boring and unlikable.

e: except the mirror universe episode they did, that's the best one and also strangely one of the best episodes of trek ever

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mondian posted:

Reed is the perfect embodiment of ENT. He's boring and unlikable and the one, single B-plot ever devoted to him involved interviewing all his family, friends, and colleagues and all any of them had to say was that he was boring and unlikable.

e: except the mirror universe episode they did, that's the best one and also strangely one of the best episodes of trek ever

I still assume the Mirror Universe two-parter exists because the writers knew the show was on the chopping block and just didn't give two shits anymore, considering it's entirely unrelated to the rest of Enterprise.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Computer, make me a table.

No, make it a BDSM torture table. You know what I want.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

FuturePastNow posted:

Computer, make me a table.

No, make it a BDSM torture table. You know what I want.

You just know Riker has spent countless nights crafting one in the holodeck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Mondian posted:

That really makes me wonder if that's :thejoke:. I mean could the writers really be that un-self aware?