Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Wait, so the new system is if you challenge the decision, and lose, you have to pay $10k instead of "incurring extra matches".

But we've been told all along that players weren't incurring an extra week for challenging, they were just choosing to waive a percentage reduction available for pleading guilty. Like, in the past an offence worth 225 points (so 2 weeks) would be downgraded to 168.75 points (1 week) if you pleaded guilty. But now that's not happening. So what is that same offence worth next year? Is it worth 225 points and you can't get a downgrade anymore? Or are they downgrading all the values to the 25% reduced score?

Or alternatively, is the new system just "Michael Christian tells you what your suspension is without any reference to points/gradings/etc and you challenge it if you want?" No doubt also maintaining their insistence on not allowing challenges to use precedents from previous suspensions.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Dec 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
It sounds like a terrible job that will make the holder of that office a target of ridicule and scorn.

Get Damien barret to do it.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Melbourne players sought council from the AFL Players' Association to have their pre-Christmas gruelling training camp called off.

Players cited injury concerns after last year's corresponding camp saw Christian Salem concussed and Dom Tyson injure his knee.

Fairfax Media understands that Melbourne players met with the AFLPA to seek guidance on how to approach the situation with the club.

Last year's camp became infamous for how physically and mentally hard it was.

Players had to endure gruelling beach runs, strength tests and sleep deprivation that included being woken up in the middle of the night and given tasks.

Salem knocked himself out after a brick in his backpack hit him while hiking. The defender later admitted to not packing the bag properly.

Star midfielder Tyson was also a casualty, hurting his patella tendon.

It's understood that Melbourne will continue to train normally up until Christmas.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/cleary_mitch/status/941214414081966080

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Solemn Sloth posted:

stobie poles were invented because not even trees would be caught dead in adelaide

I had to search for what these are :stare: good god they look unsafe

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Either the Dees training camp was legit dangerous and they got lucky with injuries last year or the players are a bunch of babies.

Of course it's almost impossible to make any kind of real judgement unless you are there, but that can't be a good sign either way for them.

Crows possibly having post GF loss hangover/morale drop?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

gay picnic defence posted:

It's understood that Melbourne will continue to train normally up until Christmas.
normal by Melbourne standards or compared with the rest of the league?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Cool this is fine I didn’t like football anyway

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

The Deadly Hume posted:

normal by Melbourne standards or compared with the rest of the league?

Melbourne standards probs

edit: Monfries signed for two years with Footscray VFL, going to transition into a coaching role afterwards

Testekill fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Dec 14, 2017

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Apparently a bunch of senior Adelaide players turned up to preseason fat and bombed a time trial

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
I too would hit the Cheezels and Coopers longnecks for a couple months if I put in a performance like that.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
I for one am shocked that the Adelaide and Melbourne football clubs could be putting in underwhelming performances.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
All part of our long term strategy to peak on Grand Final day instead of the Prelim this year. We just need to shift everything forward eight days. By next week we'll be breaking all our club records and, dare I say it, training the house down!

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

cmndstab posted:

All part of our long term strategy to peak on Grand Final day instead of the Prelim this year. We just need to shift everything forward eight days. By next week we'll be breaking all our club records and, dare I say it, training the house down!

They certainly do seem to be training well for Christmas day.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Another young Victorian extends his contract at Freo, Luke Ryan who was a rising star nominee last year

https://twitter.com/freodockers/status/941139414574555136

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

racing identity posted:

Apparently a bunch of senior Adelaide players turned up to preseason fat and bombed a time trial

Is Darren Jarman the Crows' fitness coach?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Lethlean finally found his golden parachute at the saints, 17 other clubs breath a sigh of relief

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Lethlean finally found his golden parachute at the saints, 17 other clubs breath a sigh of relief

Jokes aside, I think he will be a good administrator.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Nutsngum posted:

Jokes aside, I think he will be a good administrator.

Is that a euphemism?

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

I think it's good leadership by the Melbourne players to stand up about the camp. It's not saying they don't want to train hard, it's that they don't want to jeopardise their season with injuries occurred by training in unusual ways.

Look at the way the NFL athletes train - nothing fancy, just grueling days in the gym and on the practice field which gets them fit AF and ready for football.

I've watched videos of some of the training sessions going climbing up mountains etc... Petracca got slammed for hurting his foot dunking a basketball in the off season, but then the club could make them walk a track that is prime for ankle breaking when they could just be training on an oval?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Nutsngum posted:

Jokes aside, I think he will be a smooth operator

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Spedman posted:

Jokes aside, I think he will be a smooth criminal

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

HOW DARE YOU CALL THE BALL OBLONG
http://www.espn.com.au/nba/story/_/id/21769248/nba-how-australian-rules-football-made-ben-simmons-best-rookie-lebron
(seriously pro-click)

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

By the way that's my early submission for the new season thread title
AFL 2018 - HOW DARE YOU CALL THE BALL OBLONG

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/afl/status/941581900837109767

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

As good as Simmons would have been in the AFL, I have no doubt he made the right choice, and in 15 years will have earned enough money from max contracts and endorsements to buy the AFL on a whim. Quite often he looks like he's been told the NBA will be tough, challenging, and physically demanding, and he can't figure out why it's not yet, as he crashes through, around, and over multiple times all-defensive, all-NBA, and all-star defenders on his way to another basket or visionary assist.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
I went down to my local oval today to watch the mighty Adelaide Strikers lose a BBL practice match to the Redbacks.

http://www.adelaidestrikers.com.au/news/strathalbyn-practice-match-report/2017-12-15

It's the same oval the Crows and Dockers are playing a JLT preseason match in February.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

So uh this sounds pretty wild

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...2bc7b4f4f7f3ded

Tl;Dr there was a proposal in 1988 to move an “existing Melbourne club” to Los Angeles, re-brand them the Crocodiles, and basically Paul Hogan it up in late ‘80s LA. This would’ve meant the LA team flying back multiple times a year, and long trips from individual VFL clubs; sounds like they had an American airline on board as sponsor and supplier.

It sounds like it was shot down pretty quickly, but I wonder if it would’ve lasted more than five years had they done it. Unreal.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

It wouldn't have lasted 6 months, most of the teams in the VFL were already insolvent in 1988

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I mean, the super 12s manage to run an intercontinental league, NZ to South Africa is probably a comparable distance to Melbourne/LA, so the travel is doable. The support base would have killed them immediately though

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I’m torn. It’s an audacious plan, and I still think it would be cool to see a league I’m interested in crossing overseas. I’m sure some of the VFL’s target locations would’ve been open to having a spring/summer tenant (Rose Bowl, LA Memorial Coliseum) but of the two, Memorial Coliseum hosted other events and AFL at the Rose Bowl may have gone over as well as AFL at The Gabba this year. And there’s the question of ground size...ironically, San Francisco and Seattle may have been better equipped field-size-wise but also hosted baseball teams in their football stadiums at the time (and both football stadiums in Seattle at that time used green-colored concrete and called it “turf”).

Overseas worked well for rugby because the countries all know the game. AFL (VFL) would’ve had a much harder time.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

AFL should get an overseas team in NZ imo

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
But we ain't spending any time on it

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

'We don't think go home factor will be a problem for Vic Metro kids being drafted to the Christchurch Keas" - AFL House

"This back door allowing people to arrive in Australia from pacific islands, probably by boat, in order to steal jobs and benefits from our hard working Aussie footballers, is now closed" Obergruppenführer Dutton, some months later

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 20, 2017

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
The Dees aren't having the best off-season so far.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/melbourne-demons/melbourne-player-investigated-for-alleged-sexual-assault-20171221-h08npw.html

quote:

Victoria Police are investigating a player from the Melbourne football club over an alleged sexual assault that occurred in Bali in September.

A Melbourne woman made the complaint to police.

The Demons confirmed to The Age that they were aware the police had received a report of the alleged incident, however no charges have been laid.

Melbourne informed the AFL's integrity unit of the allegation as soon as they became aware of it, as part of the AFL's new respect and responsibility complaints process that was introduced in October.

In this case the issue was considered serious enough to be immediately referred to Victoria Police.

The AFL referred the matter to Victoria Police.

Melbourne were tight-lipped about the details of the incident but provided a statement to Fairfax Media in relation to the allegation.

"The Melbourne Football Club is aware of allegations involved with the player and the club has referred the matter to the AFL Integrity Unit," the statement said.

"The Melbourne Football Club will fully co-operate with the process and while this is undertaken the club will make no further comment in response to the matter."

The accused player has not been named but Melbourne were expected to inform staff on Thursday that an investigation was taking place.

Police confirmed that they received a report in October about an alleged sexual offence in Bali and had spoken to the complainant as a result.

In a statement, police said the complainant had not so far made a formal statement.

"On October 2 Victoria Police received a report about an alleged sexual offence that occurred in Bali in September this year," the statement said.

"Police have spoken to the complainant however the complainant has not engaged investigators further...

"The complainant was also advised that primacy of the investigation would sit with Indonesian authorities. "

"Victoria Police's priority is the victim's safety and welfare," police said. "They are always in control of what happens next.

"The reality is that some victims come to us to have their story heard but they may not want to go through the process of the court case.

"We want victims to receive the assistance they deserve, whether that be from us or support services."

An AFL spokesperson said that "out of respect to all parties involved, the AFL won't be making any comment."

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Apparently Harmes, Hogan, Kent, and Gawn were in Bali together, and Gawn has deleted all his social media pics from the trip.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Name and shame the motherfucker

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Rumour is that a Carlton player is pregnant.

Rules state that:

quote:

The policy, which was circulated to clubs on Friday, states that pregnant players must inform their club's medical officer as soon as they find out they are expecting.

However, they do not have to disclose their pregnancy to other club officials until after the first trimester.

Players who elect to continue playing during their pregnancy are expected to maintain appropriate levels of fitness and performance.

Expectant mothers who decide not to play, or are not cleared fit to play, will receive full payment from their club during the term of their contract.
Under 43 days until season 2018 kicks off, Carlton V Collingwood Feb 2 @ Princes Park.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Dec 21, 2017

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Please be Lever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
By which I mean I hope Lever is pregnant, not a sexual predator

• Locked thread