Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Not saying your latest posts boss, just in general.

Sorry for loss of your friends though. Didn't mean to come across like a dick if I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

jamal posted:

There's the volk TE37, and then a lot of wheels made to look like it. They make the te37 in white and 5x130 and that size, but they're real expensive, like 800/wheel.

http://www.mackin-ind.com/portfolio/volk-racing-te37rt/

InitialDave posted:

Revolution Milleniums perhaps?

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take a look at them.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Anyone who Autocrosses do you think the SCCA people's heads will explode if I turn up in a grey import AWD hatchback? I want to bring a Pulsar GTiR over to Autocross since it will be amazing at it but have read a few things where certain event organisers get lovely about imports.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
why would you do scca autocross, non-scca autocross is almost always better

I mean autocross is pretty poop regardless but the private clubs at least make it kinda fun

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

slidebite posted:

Not saying your latest posts boss, just in general.

Sorry for loss of your friends though. Didn't mean to come across like a dick if I did.

Nah is cool, I honestly thought I'd cut way back onf friend dram posting since I kicked every lousy rear end in a top hat out of my life.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

They'll just dump you in a class where you have no hope of winning. If all you care about is seat time and having fun, there's no problem.

The trick is finding a club that literally only cares about seat time and there is no classing.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Fun is the game so yeah will find something where I can run stupid JDM stuff. Thanks for the insight.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BigPaddy posted:

Anyone who Autocrosses do you think the SCCA people's heads will explode if I turn up in a grey import AWD hatchback? I want to bring a Pulsar GTiR over to Autocross since it will be amazing at it but have read a few things where certain event organisers get lovely about imports.
No, but your gearbox might.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

InitialDave posted:

Oooh, nicely done.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

InitialDave posted:

Let’s not forget the wheel bearings and the fact if you order any SR20 parts they need to be Pulsar specific in some cases as it spins the other way compared to a RWD SR20.

VVV Availability is not the issue, it is more using the right part number. Anyway not going to happen for a while until I have somewhere to store the track toys.

BigPaddy fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 14, 2017

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

BigPaddy posted:

Let’s not forget the wheel bearings and the fact if you order any SR20 parts they need to be Pulsar specific in some cases as it spins the other way compared to a RWD SR20.

The Sentra SE-R and 200SX along with the Infiniti G20 all had FWD SR20s, parts should be easy?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Rhyno posted:

Nah is cool, I honestly thought I'd cut way back onf friend dram posting since I kicked every lousy rear end in a top hat out of my life.

Then you'll come back later and say how this "friend" died and get all :smith:

Honestly though, sucks about your friends.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Wrar posted:

The Sentra SE-R and 200SX along with the Infiniti G20 all had FWD SR20s, parts should be easy?

The Pulsar has an even more special SR20.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Larrymer posted:

Then you'll come back later and say how this "friend" died and get all :smith:

Honestly though, sucks about your friends.

Hey, even if they were a jerk I still don't want them to die.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
So my thread hit archives sometime several months ago because I'm a bad.

Not really ready to restart it yet but I do have a bit of a Tinal's FJ45 update. Related to a couple other posts in the garage thread about installing a ceiling and insulation in the shop so my father and I can work on the truck over the winter.

Today I went over to the shop and after helping dad dislodge a welcome mat from his snowblower we took stock of what's going on with the truck and where we're stalled at which was this point:

Those all have to line up.

And these have to line up at the same time.

The reason for this is because the guy who makes the fiberglass tub assumes zero liability and the onus is on the buyer to build the body mounts for the tub. Probably two years ago I did this for the rear and with much measurement and tweaking I know beyond all doubt that where it sits off the frame is correct. The front mounts are much harder to accomplish and essentially one must build a mount of hair-impregnated body filler capped with a steel plate to fill the distance between the tub and the mounting horn on the frame. To keep the fill from busting off I'm going to cover it in a few layers of fiberglass but I've been told it's hardly necessary because the fill becomes a sorta oversized bushing but I am leery about that.

Anyways, we were kinda stalled on this because getting the nose to line up was proving extremely hard and then laziness set in yadda yadda.

We decided upon a different approach because these mounts are the only major holdup on the project and once the tub is mounted the whole thing goes back together. Part one was to level the chassis.

The bottle jacks are only taking enough weight off the suspension to level things out but even then the black bottle jack is the only one that isn't continually sinking. The two blue ones are powerfisters and the red one has been through hell a few times and is usually found sitting in a pool of its own flluids. The point of this exercise is we know parts of the frame that are supposed to be level, which should in theory put the body mounts on the correct planes. Next step is to decide what part of the tub we go with as "this should be level," and go from there.

To solve the bottle-jack problem I've considered grabbing two sets of these:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0...rd_i=7421004011

One set for the frame, one for the tub, allows for fine adjustment because they're screw style. I don't know what I'm going to do with an additional 8 jackstands in my collection afterwards but I'm sure I can gift a set to someone when I'm done or use them for the Hilux when my folks sell their farm and it has to move to my backyard.

Anyways, we tested things out with the jacks and shims to get the front of the tub in roughly the right place, and promptly found that the front bib (the white thing in front of the radiator) was mounted at least an inch and a half too low, despite being the size of the original part and mounted at the stock height off the chassis. No idea what to do about that, it doesn't seem like raising things up will affect mounting anything, but it will look like there's a body lift going on. The other thing is the fenders started coming into better alignment at the same time too...

Option two is to tilt the whole tub forward so that things line up with the bib in the stock location, or rake the cab, but that doesn't seem right either...

Here's a side shot of a 74 that we've been sorta using as a refence (linked because not an image host):
http://image.fourwheeler.com/f/105526498+w600+cr1/1974-toyota-land-cruiser-fj45-side-shot.jpg

As you can see, the top of the running boards line up with the bottom of the bed, it's a straight line, at least according to mspaint. The way things are with the nose raised 1.5" follow that, but with the nose in the stock location does not. I know the tub isn't a perfect copy of the original, but it fit the rest of my original cab parts perfectly (cab arrived assembled) before I started putting them back on the truck so I'm kinda stuck on deciding which way to go. I'm not after purity, but goddamn do I hate the look of body-lifts and a huge block of rubber under the bib-hinge on my truck is going to scream body-lift.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 14, 2017

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I dunno man thats a pretty good OP

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I restarted my thread with less, and admittedly my thread is more of a semi-automotive journal than a true project thread anymore.

What I'm saying in too many words is make a thread.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Maybe when I have something more than "I still haven't figured out these body mounts."

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I've gotta wipe like two or three dozen old drives at some point in the near future, we should just go halfsies on a bulk eraser.

7.62x54r Yugo surplus armor piercing rounds are a lot cheaper.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I told myself I wouldn't let his death weigh me down but goddamnit. My head is pounding and I keep thinking of this one stupid night where I subbed in working security with him and got my rear end kicked down some stairs by a girl.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Stinking furious mood? Yep. gently caress it The Last Jedi time

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Uhhhh.... that was NOT what I was expecting. Last Jedi is going to provoke a shitstorm

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Bad news, the porg just got accused of harassing 19 women with nary an eyewitness who definitely saw the porg not molesting anyone

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

wat

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Uhhhh.... that was NOT what I was expecting. Last Jedi is going to provoke a shitstorm

I've got tickets to see it tomorrow. I'm probably going to start dramatically limiting my internet use until then.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm off to see it in a couple of hours, largely on the basis that seeing it earlier immunises against spoilers.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

InitialDave posted:

I'm off to see it in a couple of hours, largely on the basis that seeing it earlier immunises against spoilers.

It actually infects you and makes you a vector for spoilers.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

EpicBirdEnthusiast posted:

It actually infects you and makes you a vector for spoilers.
My policy is to come out with so much utter bullshit about it that should someone hear an actual spoiler, they don't know.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

InitialDave posted:

My policy is to come out with so much utter bullshit about it that should someone hear an actual spoiler, they don't know.

Simpsons90s.avi

Wow I would have never of guessed Darth Vader was Luke's father.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I read that at the Hollywood premier the audience was "stunned" and a lot of people didn't even know what to say about it saying they needed to process it.....Sounds like a good time to me, if it pisses off all the Star Wars geeks that's a bonus :)

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

After getting the last one spoiled for me to the point of not even bothering to see the movie until I rented it from Redbox I am excited to get to see this one in the theater. I will probably go next week. Double bonus is I let my younger kids watch The Force Awakens and they loved it and weren't scared by any of it so I will be taking them along with. :yaycloud:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Somewhat Heroic posted:

After getting the last one spoiled for me to the point of not even bothering to see the movie until I rented it from Redbox I am excited to get to see this one in the theater. I will probably go next week. Double bonus is I let my younger kids watch The Force Awakens and they loved it and weren't scared by any of it so I will be taking them along with. :yaycloud:

Jaba the hutt dies.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Spoil it! DO IT. I won't see it until next wednesday so spoil that fucker!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I had a free ticket to go see a Star War this evening but I don't think I'm feeling up to it.
I'm sick and really just not trying to deal with that. I'd rather go home and sleep.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I have tickets to see it in 31 hours, I really hate spoilers so I probably should not hang out on the internet at all till then.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Spoil it! DO IT. I won't see it until next wednesday so spoil that fucker!

Spoilers in CD are completely true. Snoke destroys Hogwarts and Rey has lesbian sex with Hermione

(First part is true. The mental sounding spoilers going around are all true)

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

star wars brings the favourite character Rey back to the film

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/businessinsider/status/941370369730072578

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

oh well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
How much will these dead gay forums cost? :ohdear:

Should I throw out an offer on this Prius? I can get a JY trans for ~$200.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 14, 2017

• Locked thread