Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Thank you for all of these suggestions

I would prefer to drop by one of these locations anonymously instead of having a direct meetup so sometime in January or February you may be playing with me and not even know it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Kastelan Robots. Good? Bad? Awesome?

I keep on thinking of random fun stuff to add to a Vanguard detachment once I finish my 1000 point core of Primaris.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Kastelan Robots. Good? Bad? Awesome?

I keep on thinking of random fun stuff to add to a Vanguard detachment once I finish my 1000 point core of Primaris.

Use the far superior Castellax robots from Forgeworld OR mount the heads upside down to greatly improve them.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I still really think they should have the heads clear plastic to see a skull behind it that qualifies it as “human”

OhDearGodNo fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 14, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

panascope posted:

Use the far superior Castellax robots from Forgeworld OR mount the heads upside down to greatly improve them.

Do you have an example?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

panascope posted:

I think you mean backwards?

Upside down would just be a cup, which would also be awesome.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

OhDearGodNo posted:

I still really think they should have the heads clear plastic to see a skull behind it that qualifies it as “human”

Quoting myself, seriously it’d look like some Vashta Narada poo poo.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/medialibrary/images/1024/s4_09_wal_09.jpg

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

goose willis posted:

Thank you for all of these suggestions

I would prefer to drop by one of these locations anonymously instead of having a direct meetup so sometime in January or February you may be playing with me and not even know it

lol there's no circumstance where I'd just hang out at a GW store and play with randos

e: Again, I mean

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Do you have an example?

This rad robo, before switching back to my sisters I was thinking of grabbing them for my robots since I can't stand the 40k model. Still might if I ever get the itch for beep boops again.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

OhDearGodNo posted:

Quoting myself, seriously it’d look like some Vashta Narada poo poo.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/medialibrary/images/1024/s4_09_wal_09.jpg

This looks awesome and now I want to do it.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Zuul the Cat posted:

I think you mean backwards?

Upside down would just be a cup, which would also be awesome.

This is a million times better.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
Poking around the FLGS today doin' some Christmas shopping, anyone know what these three are?

I also discovered today that the FLGS has roughly six million Crisis suits people have traded in.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Bombogenesis posted:

I also discovered today that the FLGS has roughly six million Crisis suits people have traded in.

This may make for some good schadenfreude if the Tau Codex makes them good again.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Bombogenesis posted:

Poking around the FLGS today doin' some Christmas shopping, anyone know what these three are?

Those are the old Dark Eldar Beastmasters, I have one of them around here somewhere. Do they even still have rules? I haven't played them in forever.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
They do. I actually grabbed one as I kinda like how the model looks, and it was all of $5. Was thinking of maybe running it as a Succubus for now until I can get my hands on one.

Master Twig posted:

This may make for some good schadenfreude if the Tau Codex makes them good again.

They also had a nicely painted Riptide and some broadsides a week or so ago. I've been thinking about grabbing them just because I like the models and they seem fairly simple to paint, so could make solid practice.

Bombogenesis fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 14, 2017

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
30k robots look so loving good. As a whole, they're so much better than the 40k mechanicum stuff. I will go to bat for the dragoons' mechano-ostriches though.

For anyone unfamiliar with 30k, castellax can be taken in marine armies through a few options. First, you can take a Forge Lord and give him a cortex controller, unlocking the ability to take one squad as a heavy support choice. Second, you can take a Rite of War that lets you take them as non-compulsory troops, representing a legion that has inducted them in an effort to shore up their lines after sustaining heavy losses. Finally, you can take an HQ called a Praevian. He actually joins a unit of castellax (or vorax) and gives them the choice of Tank Hunters, Scout, Furious Charge, or their Legion special rules. Some of these, like the Dark Angels, unlock further options if you go the legion route. In that specific case, you can upgrade them with Monster Hunters if you like and also the castellax are good at swords for some reason. This is useless.

Anyways, long story short, I have an idea for a praevian that I've been kicking around for a while. They're mostly fluffed out as outcasts or failures with technical aptitude who prefer the company of their robot buddies to other marines. I play Dark Angels so I wanted to pursue a different angle using the Monster Hunters option as inspiration. I want to make a guy who is basically a big game space hunter with fancy tech who uses his robots almost like hunting animals. I'd sculpt some fur on their shoulder pads as trophies and maybe mount some skulls here and there. The GW skull box would be perfect for that; there's a few exotic specimens in there.

Sadly, neither of the Rites of War I want to run, Ironwing and Ravenwing, allow infantry on foot without a transport so praevians can't be taken. :negative: Hopefully Angelus has another Dark Angels Rite of War where I can slot this unit in. I'm probably going to make it either way. Eventually.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
FW needs to hurry up and drop the new IA already so I can use my 30k toys in 40k.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Since I can't paint when my kids are awake, I have been cleaning/assembling/repairing Tau.

I am making a close-in army. Quad Fusion Commanders, Crisis Suits with Flamers, Ghostkeels with Fusion, Stealth Suits, and Drones.

Other than the beastly Forgeworld Riptide with Plasma Flamer, what else would fit in this aesthetic? Breachers?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Bombogenesis posted:

They do. I actually grabbed one as I kinda like how the model looks, and it was all of $5. Was thinking of maybe running it as a Succubus for now until I can get my hands on one.

They also had a nicely painted Riptide and some broadsides a week or so ago. I've been thinking about grabbing them just because I like the models and they seem fairly simple to paint, so could make solid practice.

Broadsides are stupidly durable, and if the Codex makes them cheaper by anything at all, or any better at shooting whatsoever, they're going to wreck face like it's last edition.

Crisis suits are terrible largely due to points costs. If they were 5-10 points cheaper per model, they'd line up very well with the new Inceptor pricing. Two Burst Cannons and a Multi-Tracker gives you pretty comparable offensive capability (8 shots BS4+/S5/AP0 rerolling 1s, versus 6 shots BS3+/S5/AP-1), and they've got similar T/W/Sv stats.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Strobe posted:

Broadsides are stupidly durable, and if the Codex makes them cheaper by anything at all, or any better at shooting whatsoever, they're going to wreck face like it's last edition.

Broadsides straddle the weird line between being useless and OP, I think they should make them have way better shooting even if they cost more because there is no point in a slow tanky unit with no delivery mechanism and no damage output.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
I played a couple games with the new ba codex tonight. Only 1250 points and my list was kinda poo poo, but holy gently caress the flybrarian is amazing. First turn chopped an ig tank commander in half. Consolidated into a second one (that was surrounded by sanguinary guard and couldn't fall back). Got charged by some troops on his turn and proceeded to cut the second tank in half. I'm putting it in my list every time.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Booley posted:

I played a couple games with the new ba codex tonight. Only 1250 points and my list was kinda poo poo, but holy gently caress the flybrarian is amazing. First turn chopped an ig tank commander in half. Consolidated into a second one (that was surrounded by sanguinary guard and couldn't fall back). Got charged by some troops on his turn and proceeded to cut the second tank in half. I'm putting it in my list every time.

I think my favorite part of the Blood Angels character porta-blenders is that they're 100% Strat/Trait/Relic related. You can build your list to include a Jump Captain and a Dreadnought Librarian, and if your opponent has significant Psychic or anti-Psychic presence, you Tech for the Captain to go gently caress up everything. If they don't, if they have really good anti-infantry shooting but lack the big guns, or if they've got significant deep strike or board control, you Tech the LibDread to go to loving town. Opponent has high AP melee weapons? Captain. Opponent is full of crunchy tanks but no high AP to get through the Dread's armor? LibDread.

It's disgustingly versatile.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have experience with returning sealed items to GW with no receipt? Got an item that I already have as a secret Santa gift.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Its also anime as hell. Your vampire prettyboy goes Super Saiyan and chops a god or a titan in half.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Booley posted:

Wings of Sanguinius alone makes psykers very nearly mandatory for us. Between that and quickening even a normal librarian is a decent threat. Something like Mephiston or a Librarian Dread turn into utter monsters.

I'm considering running multiple psykers for the first time- you don't need wings every turn on both of them.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Zuul the Cat posted:

Anyone have experience with returning sealed items to GW with no receipt? Got an item that I already have as a secret Santa gift.

You're probably SOL, I tried to get store credit for a few items a few years ago and no dice.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Strobe posted:

I think my favorite part of the Blood Angels character porta-blenders is that they're 100% Strat/Trait/Relic related. You can build your list to include a Jump Captain and a Dreadnought Librarian, and if your opponent has significant Psychic or anti-Psychic presence, you Tech for the Captain to go gently caress up everything. If they don't, if they have really good anti-infantry shooting but lack the big guns, or if they've got significant deep strike or board control, you Tech the LibDread to go to loving town. Opponent has high AP melee weapons? Captain. Opponent is full of crunchy tanks but no high AP to get through the Dread's armor? LibDread.

It's disgustingly versatile.

Yeah, it's really great. I need to build a proper captain to take advantage of it. Haven't decided between shield, combi melta and inferno pistol yet. All the small games my store plays makes it hard too. Almost impossible to fit a balanced list + a few toys into 1k or 1250. When I saw 5 tanks across from me I was sure I was dead, but he parked all 3 russes in a row and didn't give them an infantry screen.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
I did a thing.

Found my captain was getting much more use out of a thunder hammer over a relic blade lately so I made this guy to give me the option.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Zuul the Cat posted:

If it is something that they currently sell it should be absolutely fine to return to an actual gw. They know they will get a ton of returned gifts. They will most likely only exchange though.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Easy Build aggressors are out soon but they are locked into the flamers. How easy would it be to convert them into bolt storm variant? The shoulder mounted grenade launchers seem like a pain to convert.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

You could get the launchers as bits on ebay?

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Zuul the Cat posted:

Thundercloud posted:

If it is something that they currently sell it should be absolutely fine to return to an actual gw. They know they will get a ton of returned gifts. They will most likely only exchange though.

This was my experience. Friend got a me a 3rd Primaris Lib, was able to swap him for some Grey Knights. I think it's mostly cos I was polite, and I always let the guy talk to and sell me things when I go in.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

adamantium|wang posted:

I did a thing.

Found my captain was getting much more use out of a thunder hammer over a relic blade lately so I made this guy to give me the option.

:krad:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

goose willis posted:

...so sometime in January or February you may be playing with me and not even know it
The enraged honking will be a dead give-away.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Ilor posted:

The enraged honking will be a dead give-away.

I wish I could "like" this post. :goose:

As I rehab my small marines I find myself playing a lot with primaris dudes against poxwalker/Typhus DG and Necrons. I just can't put out enough fire to whittle down a 20-man squad, especially at T5. Tips>

Beerdeer fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 14, 2017

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Going full gatling with Aggressor, Redemptors, or Repulsors seems like it'd devour your average 20-man squad to me.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Schadenboner posted:

Cyberwolves or Fenrisian Wolves?

the cheaper ones

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Went ahead and finished my model for Lheorvine Ukris, another member of Abaddon's Ezekarion in Talon of Horus/Black Legion. Gonna work on Khayon next, but plan is to eventually cover the entire Ezekarion because they're all cool as gently caress. This project would admittedly be a lot easier if there were more Chosen-scale chaos models running around besides the static Chosen, Champion, Raptors, 1k Sons, and Plague Marines but so far I've been able to carve up chosen as needed.

Anyways, the model:

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
Hells yes to adamantium|wang, TheChirurgeon, and everyone else posting excellent conversions and models over the past few pages. Everything is awesome.

Entropy238 posted:

Who is that Moose? It's amazing
I have a jungle-themed Daemons army, so that's my counts-as Magnus to lead them. It's heavily converted from a standard Lord of Change, most notably with the head from a toy moose.

Corrode posted:

Moose is good. Excellent conversion.

I like the squat dude but I think maybe he reads more as a Techmarine than an Apoth? Might just be me.
Thanks! As for the Squat, the "Techmarine" vibes are strong since the whole army is Ad Mech-themed Squats. I imagine the Apothecary uses the servo-arm to flip tank wreckage off dudes to pull them to safety, or hold Terminator armor aloft while he does field surgery. Mostly it's there because I made the arm by grafting a Servitor limb onto a Dark Eldar Talos bit and thought it was too cool not to use.

Here's the Apothecary among the other Exo-Armor Squats (GK Terminators) for context. I think he stands out enough as an Apothecary, but wouldn't be against adding a little more white if necessary.

The next Squat conversion will be an HQ Dreadknight that I plan on calling the Narrative Forge.

Order for parts is going in this week.

BuffaloChicken fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Really weird to hear the WHTV crew say my name, but awesome that they made a video for my question!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vOkwf_xh74