Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm gonna second that. This LP is really loving funny. Putty just breaks the game wide open in all sorts of horrifying ways. It's great.

thank god for putty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Pollyanna posted:

I'm in the mood for Skyrim, but I don't want to buy Skyrim Switch. Any recommendations for a good, ideally modded Skyrim LP? Bonus points if it's glitchy and funny.

Many A True Nerd is currently doing a slightly modded LP of Skyrim. Updates it twice a week, too. He's also doing a non-archery run, so you don't have to suffer through a boring sneaky archer playthrough.

ApeHawk fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 6, 2017

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'll probably pick up Spellforce 3 soon, and apparently having played the first one is helpful for some of the plot, even being a prequel. Any good LPs of it?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I've recently enjoyed the hell out of supergreatfriend's Siren LP; are there any other LPs of weird horror games that - and that's the important bit - take their time to analyze the plot and describe the happenings? One of the parts I really liked about it was that although it was a pitch dark screen a lot of the time, the commentary kept me interested even when there's nothing to see.
Not looking for horror per se, more for the weird stories.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
You should go watch SGF play Deadly Premonition and Illbleed.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

flatluigi posted:

You should go watch SGF play Deadly Premonition and Illbleed.
Should have mentioned I did; I've seen all of his stuff by now. Looking for other sources.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
So, the sixth FNAF game came out a little over a week ago, for free no less. I am too much of a wimp to play it, but would like to see what actually goes on in it. But I also don't want to wade through a dozen pages of Youtube hits with overacted scarecams in order to find one that shows off the content without being annoying. Anyone seen a player that fits the bill?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Ashsaber posted:

So, the sixth FNAF game came out a little over a week ago, for free no less. I am too much of a wimp to play it, but would like to see what actually goes on in it. But I also don't want to wade through a dozen pages of Youtube hits with overacted scarecams in order to find one that shows off the content without being annoying. Anyone seen a player that fits the bill?
John Wolfe is always a good option: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yJ7Yuys0yQ

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Thanks. He doesn't overact, and cuts out a lot of the dead air, so thats probably the best way to watch this entire game.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

anilEhilated posted:

I've recently enjoyed the hell out of supergreatfriend's Siren LP; are there any other LPs of weird horror games that - and that's the important bit - take their time to analyze the plot and describe the happenings? One of the parts I really liked about it was that although it was a pitch dark screen a lot of the time, the commentary kept me interested even when there's nothing to see.

Niggurath is really, really chill and he digs into the weird/horror games he plays. I particularly liked Michigan: Report From Hell.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

anilEhilated posted:

I'll echo StrixNebulosa here. I also like Niggurath's Rule of Rose LP quite a lot. The Nanashi no Game LPs are also good. He has a pretty big back catalogue. He's currently posting as discworld is all i read.

Kangra's Cupid LP is also good. It's a VN and in screenshot format.

Merry Deciever
Aug 20, 2015
Pillbug
Are there any good LPs for the Knights of the Old Republic games? I know there's an excellent Kotor 2 one, I'm more looking for a great one for the first game. Screenshot if possible...

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Can anyone recommend a Steamworld Dig 1/2 Let's Play? I was never into Spelunky, but Psychedelic Eyeball had a good LP, and I'm keen to see more in the procedural puzzle mining genre.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Merry Deciever posted:

Are there any good LPs for the Knights of the Old Republic games? I know there's an excellent Kotor 2 one, I'm more looking for a great one for the first game. Screenshot if possible...
There's a couple of KotOR LPs in the archive, but they're VLPs.

Also, I know this doesn't exactly help you right now, but for my next project once I'm done with The Witcher (which, at this rate, should be sometime before the year 2177) I'm taking another stab at that KotOR SSLP I had to abandon two years ago. Theoretically I could start on that right now and I'd actually love to, but since I'm already working on two notoriously LP-unfriendly RPGs -- The Witcher and Persona 2: Innocent Sin -- I don't exactly want to burn myself out. (EDIT: That being said, it is mighty tempting and I do have my workflow pretty much perfected by this point, plus it is a game I know like the back of my hand... aw gently caress, I'm going to make the thread sooner rather than later, aren't I? :shepface:)

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Dec 20, 2017

Merry Deciever
Aug 20, 2015
Pillbug

Doc Morbid posted:

Also, I know this doesn't exactly help you right now, but for my next project once I'm done with The Witcher (which, at this rate, should be sometime before the year 2177) I'm taking another stab at that KotOR SSLP I had to abandon two years ago. Theoretically I could start on that right now and I'd actually love to, but since I'm already working on two notoriously LP-unfriendly RPGs -- The Witcher and Persona 2: Innocent Sin -- I don't exactly want to burn myself out. (EDIT: That being said, it is mighty tempting and I do have my workflow pretty much perfected by this point, plus it is a game I know like the back of my hand... aw gently caress, I'm going to make the thread sooner rather than later, aren't I? :shepface:)

That sounds awesome, and I'd love to see it! That being said, please don't burn yourself out, I can only imagine the amount of work that goes into Witcher alone... I'm happy knowing that at least someone plans to!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Doc Morbid posted:

Was yours the one with the mod to make blasters look like Tommy guns? I liked that lp.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Skwirl posted:

Was yours the one with the mod to make blasters look like Tommy guns? I liked that lp.
Nah, I don't remember that one. My playthrough was only using a couple of quality of life mods and the KotOR 1 Restoration Project, the latter of which turned out to be a huge mistake because the majority of the content restored by that mod was cut for a good reason (it made Taris even more of a slog).

I'm probably doing the next LP on the Xbox version, because that is less of a pain in the rear end to record than the PC port and looks almost identical with the Xbox One enhanced visuals.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Dec 21, 2017

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone seen any good Resident Evil 7 LPs anywhere? Like ones with no scarecam, basically. Youtube is a wasteland and if I wanted to watch some idiot fail and die over and over I'd record myself playing it. Looking for something like Lunethex's RE runs, where you watch it and go oooh, that's how you're supposed to play it

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Here's something very cool - it's offsite, but worth posting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S33HENoj4GE

There's a channel on Youtube called GameHut, run by Jon Burton, founder and director of Traveller's Tales, a game development studio, and his channel has a lot of interesting game development videos, like old versions of games like Sonic R or Puggsy, or explanations on coding tricks used to make certain things work in games. And his latest video is the first part of a Let's Play / director's commentary on Mickey Mania, another game he worked on. Very interesting!

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012

Crane Fist posted:

Anyone seen any good Resident Evil 7 LPs anywhere? Like ones with no scarecam, basically. Youtube is a wasteland and if I wanted to watch some idiot fail and die over and over I'd record myself playing it. Looking for something like Lunethex's RE runs, where you watch it and go oooh, that's how you're supposed to play it

John Wolfe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_DCxuSH0d0 was mentioned this very page for another horror game, but I really did enjoy his RE7 series a lot because he remained very rational throughout and he explored all of the difficult bonus content thoroughly.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Powerfrog posted:

John Wolfe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_DCxuSH0d0 was mentioned this very page for another horror game, but I really did enjoy his RE7 series a lot because he remained very rational throughout and he explored all of the difficult bonus content thoroughly.

It's better but still got the jabbering nerd in the corner totally ruining the immersion, what is with these people

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
Any recommendations for informative VLPs of games on hard difficulties or with fun challenges? Preferably games that have some RPG elements like interesting character builds or that has strategy other than just being really skilled.

I've read/watched Melth's stuff, something along those lines would be cool.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Crane Fist posted:

Here is my under 4 hour run while also using no healing items or using the item box. Also no annoying commentary!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3OxY4rC6nw

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AllisonByProxy posted:

Here is my under 4 hour run while also using no healing items or using the item box. Also no annoying commentary!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3OxY4rC6nw

Now we're talking! Going to check it out.

If anyone else has anything, don't stop the hits coming. I'm a long way from home for Xmas and I need the distraction

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Crane Fist posted:

Not a proper LP, but I enjoyed CJacobs' RE7 blind stream around when it came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwJvDBs_Jz0

He also did a Madhouse run, so it's fun stuff.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Crane Fist posted:

SGF bubmbled through it, I liked his playthrough. Although, since it is a blind LP, you will be annoyed at him at times. I tend to just skip forward a bit when he gets stuck for a long time though, works well enough if frustrated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYwB_oiXvVg

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Hello friends, may I please get a recommendation for an LP of Wolfenstein the New Order and the Old Blood?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Hello friends, may I please get a recommendation for an LP of Wolfenstein the New Order and the Old Blood?

Lazyfire has done LPs of both games.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Cool, thanks!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

He's currently doing a LP of the second game, and it's a wild ride.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I've got two requests...

I'm in the mood to read some strategy screenshot lps. I've read most of the Advance Wars and Fire Emblem ones on the archive, and I'm currently reading the Dark Crusade lp. But are there any other really good ones? Not really interested in video.

I also recently finished reading White Knight Chronicles and I really need a jrpg where the heroes are actually competent. Leonard's failure needs to be washed away. Please.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

DoubleNegative posted:

strategy screenshot lps

I enjoyed Rondo of Swords!

quote:

a jrpg where the heroes are actually competent

Kind of a tall order :v:

It's been a while, but I think several characters in Chaos Rings were competent (there are multiple routes and main characters). Maybe Valkyrie Profile? (Edit: And of course VP: Covenant of the Plume is another good srpg with a screenshot lp!)

(The Kyosuke route of Super Robot Wars Original Generations might be your thing, because it's a srpg with a competent, professional main character, but it depends on your tolerance for The Animes™.)

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Dec 28, 2017

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

DoubleNegative posted:

I also recently finished reading White Knight Chronicles and I really need a jrpg where the heroes are actually competent. Leonard's failure needs to be washed away. Please.

It's been a while since I read it, but I think Last Scenario qualifies.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

DoubleNegative posted:

In addition to the above there's always Radiant Historia.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

DoubleNegative posted:

I'm in the mood to read some strategy screenshot lps.

Civilization II by Melth.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Kangra is doing a good SSLP of Pacific General

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

NGDBSS posted:

In addition to the above there's always Radiant Historia.

Oh yeah, this is a solid recommendation.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

It's been a while since I read it, but I think Last Scenario qualifies.

Seconding this, the mistakes that get made on both sides are pretty believable when they happen and the story is pretty good.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Since there's been requests for chill LPs of horror games - I really recommend 'Survival Horror Network' on youtube.

They're a team of players.
No commentary whatsoever.
High resolution.
Games are usually 100% completed and show off all the content, though there is some variance - e.g. the RE7 LP doesn't unlock every single coin collectible or whatever.
Pretty decent selection.
And 'movie-like experience' - they aren't done as speedruns, they're just competent playthroughs that are somewhat done 'as the character' - the player will occasionally realistically 'peek' at badguys and find items the 'correct' way, e.g. if there's hints to an item, they'll find all the hints first, not just rush to where they know it is.

Only potential downside is that they're done as 'longplays', so no episodes for the most part - just one long video for an entire game. DLC is usually done as separate videos, though. Basically whatever it takes to make it feel like a continuous movie.

Anyway this was a godsend for when I was looking for a good RE7 LP that wasn't blind, but also didn't have someone jabbering in the corner or otherwise ruining the mood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Thanks for all the recommendations, everyone.