Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Solemn Sloth posted:

Calling Sam Aziz prominent is a real stretch imo but it’s deffo him, cheers

Tell him to stop wacking his wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Tell him to stop wacking his wife.

I encourage you to do the same saziz@casey.vic.gov.au

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Cartoon posted:

Sorry Hookshot not mailing this to Canada.

Thank gently caress :stare:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
The crucial by-election in Bennelong has been dominated by rising tensions between Canberra and Beijing, with a mysterious letter urging the local Chinese community to abandon the Coalition and support Kristina Keneally.

The letter shared on Chinese language social media platform WeChat said the Turnbull Government was helping the media accuse Chinese leaders and students of being spies, without adequate evidence.

Its content appears to reflect growing concerns within China about the Coalition's proposed ban on foreign donations and interference, which Beijing has condemned as an attempt to stir "China panic".

"In our eyes, the current Liberal Coalition party is very different from before — it's now an extreme right wing ruling party," the letter said.

"They are against China, against Asian migrants, against Chinese international students in broad daylight and under the table."

The letter said it had been written by "a group of Chinese people who have made Australia their home".

The ABC has not established who wrote the letter, or how many people in Bennelong have received it, although Fairfax Media reports it was shared by a leader of the Australian Council for the Promotion of Peaceful Reunification of China.

Controversial Chinese billionaire Huang Xiangmo is a former leader of the group, which has been linked to a Chinese Community Party body created to spread influence overseas.

Close to 19 per cent of the Bennelong community were born in mainland China and the community's votes will play a crucial role in the by-election.

The letter points out that if Labor were to win at the polls, the Turnbull Government would lose its slim majority in the House of Representatives.

"The votes from Chinese voters in these areas may direct [sic] vote down Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull," the letter said.

It also accuses the Turnbull Government of being hostile in the South China Sea and not standing up to One Nation's anti-immigration rhetoric.

"They are pushing the Australia and China relationship to the edge of distrust," the letter said.

"All of this hurts the interest of Chinese Australians, and they are not in line with the interests of Australia.

"This will be the nightmare for all Australians."

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has rejected claims the Coalition is stirring up anti-China sentiment, as Labor leader Bill Shorten has alleged during the by-election campaign.

Mr Shorten called on the Prime Minister to "pull his head in on his China-phobia" earlier this week.

"It is a desperate and absurd claim," Mr Turnbull said.

"Our ties with China are stronger all the time and they are basically built by people-to-people links and family links."

At a press conference on Thursday, Mr Turnbull said Labor was trying to turn Australians against each other for political gain.

"You can imagine how everyone feels in the Government, especially me, to have Kristina Keneally and Bill Shorten saying I am anti-Chinese," he said.

"There are 1 million Australians of Chinese ancestry.

"You could not imagine Australia without them, they built Australia, together with all of the rest of our extraordinary diverse community."

Mr Turnbull has also referenced his Chinese daughter-in-law as evidence he is deeply connected to the Chinese community.

"To suggest that somebody whose granddaughter is one of those one million Australians of Chinese ancestry, is anything other than a friend of Chinese people is absurd, completely absurd," he said.

The Liberal Party has also directly appealed to the Chinese community in Bennelong, by sharing "scratchies" in Mandarin that say it would be a gamble to vote for Labor.

"Scratch the panels below to reveal the consequences of voting Labor," the material said.

When Mr Turnbull announced foreign interference legislation, which has been firmly condemned by the Chinese Government, he stressed it was not specifically related to China.

Australia's ambassador in Beijing was hauled in to see the Chinese Foreign Minister earlier this week for a robust discussion, amid rising tensions between the two nations.

The Australian Council for the Promotion of Peaceful Reunification of China has been contacted for comment.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

media bubbles delineated along languages is probably a bad idea imo

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What will you do if Kristina Keneally wins on the weekend?

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
I dont think KK will do it. JA will hang on.

But if she does, look forward to the crossbench getting a few pet projects up - because if the government wants to get things done, the pork must flow.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

media bubbles delineated along languages is probably a bad idea imo

Good news friend. The Australian is now in Chinese.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
KK is very cool. Hope she wins.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

https://www.grilld.com.au/news/latest/cheers-mick-dun-free

Paul Hogan is suing Grill'd

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Hey maybe instead of giving us free drinks they could pay their staff properly.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

:capitalism:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

What if we paid our staff in non-alcoholic drinks?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Wait that still counts as paying them, gently caress.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Anidav posted:

Mr Turnbull has also referenced his Chinese daughter-in-law as evidence he is deeply connected to the Chinese community.

"To suggest that somebody whose granddaughter is one of those one million Australians of Chinese ancestry, is anything other than a friend of Chinese people is absurd, completely absurd," he said.

:negative:

Even "I have lots of Chinese friends" would be better.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
If my son conceived a child with a Chinese woman, how would I ever cynically race bait the Chinese for political gain? :iiam:

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
It would be good if either party actually took a principled stance against political donations instead of only pretending to care when it's politically useful. Anybody who believes the LNP actually gives one gently caress about what Dastyari did should not be allowed to vote anymore.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Futuresight posted:

If my son conceived a child with a Chinese woman, how would I ever cynically race bait the Chinese for political gain? :iiam:

magical snowglobe baby chinaman

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Walt Disney Co on Thursday agreed to buy film, television and international businesses from Rupert Murdoch's Twenty-First Century Fox Inc for $US52.4 billion in stock.

Fox assets that will be sold to Disney, include the Twentieth Century Fox movie and cable networks.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sadly, Twenty First Century Fox is keeping the news.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I'm torn because gently caress Murdoch but it won't fix anything with regard to the content distribution issues because Disney are pulling their poo poo and plan to start (expand?) their own Netflix thing

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MikeJF posted:

Sadly, Twenty First Century Fox is keeping the news.

*thinks carefully*

Do any of Murdoch's news outlets actually generate a profit or are they extremely hosed now the bottom line isn't being propped up by the rest of the former business?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Beijing's strong reaction to Australia's foreign political interference debate reflects the fact it is being increasingly called out on its activity, both here and around the world, and is hating the attention.

The Chinese can hardly complain about the interference laws themselves, much less at Sam Dastyari's forced resignation, which should have happened a year ago.

Rather, the summoning of Australian ambassador Jan Adams shows Beijing is angry at being singled out (though not red-hot furious given it did not contact Foreign Minister Julie Bishop directly as it has on other issues).

Normally, governments refuse stubbornly to name any particular country on issues like this.

But this time it has been too hard for the Australian government to avoid – or, arguably, to resist. It coincides with the Dastyari matter coming to a head, which highlighted the China angle. But the Coalition wanted to stretch the political mileage out of Dastyari, so it hasn't tried terribly hard to play down the China connection to foreign interference either.

Amplifying things has been the Bennelong byelection, on which Malcolm Turnbull's political future rests.

Consequently, Turnbull's tone has sometimes been triumphalist. Peter Dutton's repeated description of Dastyari as a "double agent" was both excessive and plain incorrect. (If Dastyari was a double agent he'd be pretending to spy for China while actually spying on them for Australia.)

So Labor turned it into a story about Sinophobia – or "China-phobia". Bennelong has the highest proportion of ethnically Chinese voters of any federal seat in the country. Kristina Keneally has made some absurdly inflated claims that Turnbull is chanelling Pauline Hanson and that Bennelong voters are "getting tired by [his] assertion that Asian Australians are not fully fledged members of team Australia".

"You only need to read ... the Chinese media here in Australia to see that this alarm is real," she said, without mentioning that some local Chinese media is actually controlled by Beijing.

We need to find a better way to talk about the fact that this really is about China. It won't get any easier – Beijing is getting increasingly sensitive as its activities draw attention also in the United States, Germany, New Zealand, Canada.

The collision of the foreign interference laws, Dastyari and Bennelong means the traditional bipartisanship on national security has not been on fine display the past week. As Rory Medcalf of the Australian National University pointed out, this must change. We can only hope that with Bennelong out of the way, it will.

While it is not certain a Mandarin-language letter circulated on social media trashing the Liberals and urging voters to back Labor was the work of the Chinese government, it's a taste of what we might see if these issues become hyper-politicised.

Imagine if, as with Russia's support of Donald Trump over Hillary Clinton, China were to start regarding one side of Australian politics as much more favourable to its interests than the other. Then we'd really see some interference.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Disney's going to own every piece of entertainment media probably before I die.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Milky Moor posted:

You really think you will live that long?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DancingShade posted:

*thinks carefully*

Do any of Murdoch's news outlets actually generate a profit or are they extremely hosed now the bottom line isn't being propped up by the rest of the former business?

The articles I've seen say that Fox News, Sports and Business (which they're keeping) are more profitable than the Entertainment, which is why they're dumping.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Milky Moor posted:

They will never (need to) own your posts.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
They own a fair bit now...

Countdown until an original trilogy original theatrical version re-release on bluray for $100 a copy in 3... 2... 1...

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
Does this mean our local Sky News will be less shite too?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
No, it'll just have constant Star Wars chyrons.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Grog says bubble go pop:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/grogonomics/2017/dec/14/will-the-end-of-the-housing-boom-come-with-a-bang-or-a-wimper

quote:

Whether the slowing of the price growth of apartments will lead to a similar slowing of established houses so that their affordability improves, remains to be seen. But all signs at the moment suggest that the boom is over, and it is now all about how sudden will be its end, rather than how much higher can house prices go.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
This is because the only people who've been able to afford houses for the last decade or so are 'investors' and rich people and now even they're priced out of the market or disinterested, right?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Popular content and franchises: Ice Age

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It said popular, not good.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Fast and Furious series is hugely popular, yet also shite.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

You Am I posted:

Fast and Furious series is hugely popular, yet also shite.

:thunk:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

drat, the ABC is really pounding those drums of war.

The Defence Department has been accused of turning a blind eye to universities illegally sharing military technology with China.

Former senior defence official Peter Jennings has told AM there was a "likelihood" universities were breaking strict export controls on technology that could be used for military purposes.

He said the time had come for the Defence Department to conduct a deep and immediate investigation.

There are strict rules banning the sharing of research that could be used for military purposes by Australia's potential foes, including China.

Australian universities conduct world-leading research in areas such as artificial intelligence, super computing and driverless car technology that could be adapted for military purposes.

The Defence Department said it relied on self-assessment from universities to police their academics' interactions with overseas academics.

"It is ultimately the responsibility of each institution to ensure they comply with the law," the Department told the ABC in response to questions about links between Australian and Chinese researchers.

Charles Sturt University professor Clive Hamilton has uncovered hundreds of research projects linking Australian scientists with senior Chinese military figures.

At the centre of a web of questionable collaborations with Australian universities sit Yang Xuejun, a Lieutenant-General in China's People's Liberation Army who heads the country's top defence research academy.

Professor Hamilton said much of those collaborations could mean Australian technology could be used against it on the battlefield.

Laws governing the export of defence technology were tightened in 2012 to include university research following the signing of a weapons treaty between Australia and the US.

Professor Hamilton said questions about Australian universities collaborating with Chinese military researchers could damage relations with Australia's biggest strategic ally.

"I know that our research is being carefully read in Washington and hard questions are being asked of the Australian Government," he said.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
This is why the LNP wanted to ban science.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
so the net is no longer neutral

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Skellybones posted:

This is why the LNP wanted to ban science.

But... but they said the laws of mathematics were commendable...

• Locked thread