Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kebbins
Apr 9, 2017

BRAK LIVES MATTER
Blowing chunks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Parts Redistribution Turbine

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Engine Rich Exhaust

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Awesome Hudson/Ventura write up! Thanks for that, I always enjoy a good effort post

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Comp(ressor) trail

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Kebbins posted:

Blowing chunks.

"What does that look like to you?"

"A lot of angry passengers and a rush delivery from Volga-Dnepr." :smith:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Terrible Robot posted:

Engine Rich Exhaust

That's still one of my favorites.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

How far could a plane taxi? :thunk:

A buddy of mine is on a 757 taxiing around DTW right now, he's been taxiing around for ~3 hours at this point between deicing, runway closures and deicing again. Got me wondering.... What's the range of a 757 at ~70mph on the ground :q:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

This paper presents a model.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
I <3 Detroit, every time I get out right at the beginning of a push and start first or second in line for deice, and by the time we're done there's a huge lineup. Including today.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

A buddy of mine is on a 757 taxiing around DTW right now, he's been taxiing around for ~3 hours at this point between deicing, runway closures and deicing again. Got me wondering.... What's the range of a 757 at ~70mph on the ground :q:

Eventually he'll have to return to the gate for more fuel. What I'm saying is it could always be worse!

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Thanks for that paper.

My friend got off and went home the first time they went back to the gate. They embarked again and then back to the gate AGAIN. Now the flight is delayed until the morning lol, a full 12 hours after schedule lol. Still, I like to imagine the pilots just taxiing out to the interstate...

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Thanks for that paper.

My friend got off and went home the first time they went back to the gate. They embarked again and then back to the gate AGAIN. Now the flight is delayed until the morning lol, a full 12 hours after schedule lol. Still, I like to imagine the pilots just taxiing out to the interstate...

Your friend made the right choice.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Nebakenezzer posted:

Thanks dude! This is a pro-post.

slothrop posted:

Awesome Hudson/Ventura write up! Thanks for that, I always enjoy a good effort post

Thanks guys! I've re-read it with fresh eyes and corrected some typos and other errors, plus added captions and switched some of the photos around a bit.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

What's the range of a 757 at ~70mph on the ground :q:

Joke question but…

it’s trash.

There’s a reason we don’t use turbofans for ground transportation, and don’t mount bus engines hanging down from big ol’ wings.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Joke question but…

it’s trash.

There’s a reason we don’t use turbofans for ground transportation, and don’t mount bus engines hanging down from big ol’ wings.

Even worse...

vessbot fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Dec 14, 2017

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

vessbot posted:

Even worse...

Even better, you mean.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Commuter-rich exhaust?

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Gervasius posted:

Commuter-rich exhaust?

More FOD for the FOD God!

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

vessbot posted:

More FOD for the FOD God!

Hold my FODka comrade, watch this.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Saukkis posted:

An unusually large formation, you say. 16 aircraft. As in one more than the Finnish Air Force independence day formation from a week ago. God drat you Sweden :argh: :finland:

Philippines makin' it dirty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzcipsNjvGg

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

That's not how you do the 69 position!

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

FrozenVent posted:

That's not how you do the 69 position!

Tell it to the Philippines

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Nice

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

vessbot posted:

Even worse...

The last time I took a poo poo at Mach 0.8, I got locked in the caboose

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
Proposing new game. Find the largest oil stain(s). Found these gems in Las Vegas.
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.2320627,-115.0429322,169a,35y,270h,39.3t/data=!3m1!1e3

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Preoptopus posted:

Proposing new game. Find the largest oil stain(s). Found these gems in Las Vegas.
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.2320627,-115.0429322,169a,35y,270h,39.3t/data=!3m1!1e3

I remember some pretty righteous ones on the tarmac at Oceana and the old seaplane ramp at NS Norfolk, since that's where they keep the MH-53s, and those things *bleed* oil.

I looked at Dover's on Google Maps, expecting huge spots, but damned if that isn't some of the cleanest tarmac I've ever seen. :stare:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

High bypassenger turbofan

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Preoptopus posted:

I didn’t find any particularly big stains at Memphis, but I did fine this cool stealth cargo plane.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Preoptopus posted:

Biggest stains I've found are at B-1 bases. Those motherfuckers leak prodigiously it seems.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Preoptopus posted:

Dropped pin
near Ward County, ND, USA

https://goo.gl/maps/tn7Fa38TPyM2
Bonus massive nose gear lube stains.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
San Diego has this big stain which might be a firefighting training pad ???

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

Platystemon posted:

San Diego has this big stain which might be a firefighting training pad ???

Looks more like a staging area for fuel trucks, the stain is the tire marks from hard turnouts.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That makes a lot more sense given the location.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

That got me poking around MCO when I saw this. What the gently caress are all those cars? Dieselgate returns?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Enourmo posted:

That got me poking around MCO when I saw this. What the gently caress are all those cars? Dieselgate returns?

Rental overflow?

Has a bunch of those white gmc abducto-vans in one of the zoom levels.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
From street view it can be seen that there are different brands of cars, many petrol only.

Can’t be dieselgate.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Enourmo posted:

Flood-damaged cars from Hurricane Irma?

e: nope, n/m, photos are from 2016.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Preoptopus posted:

Hahaha clicked before getting to "Las Vegas" but instantly recognized that ramp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Ladies and Gentlemen, I present you with MCAS Miramar: see if you can distinguish the FA-18's from their oily shadows! https://www.google.com/maps/place/3...!4d-117.1358333

E: if you look at the east end of the ramp you can see the aggressor F-5's and their beautiful plumage.