Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Lol Philadelphia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

xaarman posted:

Anyone have any strong opinions on living in MIA vs PHL?

I do like Florida's no state income tax... but drat it is pricey.

I like that PHL has the ability to take public transportation to the airport, but I'm leaving the midwest... I'd rather not go straight to the same weather.

Philly also has a city wage tax of around 3.5% on top of PA tax. You’ll pay it if you live and/or work in Philly. Whether that applies at PHL, I have no idea. The airport is partly in Philadelphia and partly in Tinicum Township (which also causes fun with the Philly soda tax in the terminals).

Miami does have a Metrorail station at the airport, I’m just not sure the train goes anyplace cheap to live.

I’m not sure I’d compare Philly winters to ones my midwestern friends tell me about. Many winters we don’t get snow that sticks around more than a few weeks before melting away. But it’s certainly not Miami in the winter (Or the summer either happily).

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

xaarman posted:

I like that PHL has the ability to take public transportation to the airport, but I'm leaving the midwest... I'd rather not go straight to the same weather.

Is going further west not an option? Given Philly or Miami I’d choose “somewhere else” if at all possible. I also have terrible taste in places because after I eventually live in NYC I want to move back to Tucson and retire.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Isn't Tucscon basically out of water at this point?

As far as PHL vs MIA, if you have to live in the city itself move to MIA. If you're ok with living on the outskirts and driving an hour or so to work every week move to PHL.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

On the flip side, it’s doable to work out of MIA, but live in Fort Lauderdale, which isn’t NEARLY the clowncar of failure that Miami is. TriRail/Metrorail goes directly to MIA.

I’d still vote for somewhere else, though.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
As I'm getting out of the military, I'm chasing QoL. I'm hoping to move to a place where I can sit short call reserve at home. It would only be 1-2 years until I get some seniority and move back to somewhere more ...desirable.

Never considered FLL, but as long as I can be within 2 hours of MIA if the phone calls, I'd be good for it. The Trirail looks good, about 55 minute ride from the FLL airport... which leaves me an hour to get on it.

Exciting times!

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Rolo posted:

I’m 30. I’m currently making 55k-ish in a very expensive part of the southeast, a part of the country I’m realizing more and more I don’t want to live in much more than another year or so. I’d happily find a roommate if it meant 60k and the ability to not own a car or pay car insurance.

More than anything, I’m single and don’t have any pets or sentimental furniture.

Don't forget that you can live anywhere and commute.

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 20, 2019

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

AWSEFT posted:

Don't forget that you can live anywhere and commute to NY. I live in FL and commute to NY. Yeah it costs me ~$300/m in crash pad but I'm not paying NY income tax (or any state income tax for that matter).

Don't forget about the free time it costs you every month... Commuting on a regional schedule is a really great way to make your life shittier than it has to be

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost
Jesus, don’t commute if you don’t have to. Seriously. You’re going to need a car no matter where you’re based, unless you’re based at one single NYC airport. Maybe, maybe, you could live around MIA along one of the rail lines, but it’s going to suck without a car. Philly? Forget it. Getting to the airport from anywhere but center city on the train is a nightmare.

With a car you could live somewhere decent near Miami and not spend too much money. Hear there’s going to be space in a hostel in Florida City pretty soon.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

In case you missed it, ATL ops were turbofucked yesterday by a power outage apparently caused by an electrical fire somewhere in the bowels of the airport.

I'm...really glad I flew through there last Sunday as opposed to this one. :stonklol:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oh god can you imagine if that happened this weekend?

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Can someone explain what Average Calendar Day is, with regards to pilot scheduling/pay? How is it different then Min Calendar Day? Or Min Pay per duty period?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Min calendar day is simply guaranteeing a minimum of X hours of pay for each day of a trip. Min per duty period is very similar, but uses duty period (start of duty to end of duty) instead of calendar days as the unit of time. I believe average calendar day takes the total number of hours for a trip, divides that by how long the trip was (normally in days), and pays the difference if that number is less than a given value, although I'm not 100% sure on that.

All three systems are designed to force the airline to build more efficient trips or penalize them for building inefficient ones (from the pilot perspective), since it makes a trip /day that involves lots of sitting around between legs (or really short legs) more expensive for the airline if they decide to schedule things like that.

As an example, I have a two day trip coming up that only has me flying a total of 3.4hrs of block time, which is pretty lousy. Since our contract guarantees a minimum of 4.2 hours per day, I'll actually get paid 8.4 hours for that trip, which means the airline has to pay me a few hundred extra bucks for building an inefficient trip.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 22, 2017

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Flew a 172 for the first time since mid-August, after spending a few months flying the Seneca.

Holy poo poo, everything moves in slow motion now and the controls are feather-light!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Wait until you go on to flying turbine aircraft and go back to a 172, it feels like a toy.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

e.pilot posted:

Wait until you go on to flying turbine aircraft and go back to a 172, it feels like a toy.

Yeah, I can only imagine! Hopefully that's only a few years away at this point... I should be getting my MIFR done in January, and then I'm starting my instructor rating.

My instructor is about to start training on the Lear 55. He sounds kind of excited about it, but it's a bit hard to tell :v:

PT6A fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 23, 2017

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

xaarman posted:

As I'm getting out of the military, I'm chasing QoL. I'm hoping to move to a place where I can sit short call reserve at home. It would only be 1-2 years until I get some seniority and move back to somewhere more ...desirable.

Never considered FLL, but as long as I can be within 2 hours of MIA if the phone calls, I'd be good for it. The Trirail looks good, about 55 minute ride from the FLL airport... which leaves me an hour to get on it.

Exciting times!

You're chasing QoL? To do what, exactly? Sit around in studio apartment in Coral Gables playing video games and masturbating?

Suck up the taxes, go to NYC/LA, and go rage, bang tinder sluts, and salvage whatever is left of your youth after living in BFE for the past 10 years.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I can attest that NYC is a great city for Tinder.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Want to know another city which is inexpensive to live in and surprisingly laden with gorgeous women on Tinder?

Columbus. Potentially picking up an Abercrombie model makes living in the midwest a small price to pay.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 24, 2017

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

You can get around paying taxes in NYC as a pilot if you do your due diligence. If you are NYC based, just rent a room as your crashpad. Keep wherever your real home is as your residence, keep that state's drivers license, and try to keep a paper trail. So if its your parents house, pay for their water bill or whatever. In order to be considered a resident of NYC you have to be there for 90 consecutive days, and as a pilot you will not do that. Get an aviation accountant and you are set. Perfectly legal, you just work in NYC but that's not "home". As long as you don't stay there for many years and do something stupid like starting a family there, you will be fine.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Animal posted:

You can get around paying taxes in NYC as a pilot if you do your due diligence. If you are NYC based, just rent a room as your crashpad. Keep wherever your real home is as your residence, keep that state's drivers license, and try to keep a paper trail. So if its your parents house, pay for their water bill or whatever. In order to be considered a resident of NYC you have to be there for 90 consecutive days, and as a pilot you will not do that. Get an aviation accountant and you are set. Perfectly legal, you just work in NYC but that's not "home". As long as you don't stay there for many years and do something stupid like starting a family there, you will be fine.

Aviation Megathread: As long as you don’t stay somewhere for many years and do something stupid like starting a family, you’ll be fine.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

MrYenko posted:

Aviation Megathread: As long as you don’t stay somewhere for many years and do something stupid like starting a family, you’ll be fine.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

xaarman posted:

Are you looking at a particular regional which has bases in PHL and MIA?

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Rekinom posted:

You're chasing QoL? To do what, exactly? Sit around in studio apartment in Coral Gables playing video games and masturbating?

Suck up the taxes, go to NYC/LA, and go rage, bang tinder sluts, and salvage whatever is left of your youth after living in BFE for the past 10 years.

Brah, I'm not too far behind you in life, definitely won't be raging or banging Tinder sluts. Grew up in SoCal, very little desire to go back now. NYC is meh.

Rickety Cricket posted:

Are you looking at a particular regional which has bases in PHL and MIA?

Nah, was fortunate enough to skip that step. I see you're based out of LGA... I'll hit you up with NYC questions when I inevitably end up there.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
Sure. As of Jan 31 I'll be DCA based but happy to answer any questions.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

Animal posted:

I can attest that NYC is a great city for Tinder.

Denver also. But probably most cities too

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

MrYenko posted:

:discourse:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

Columbus. Potentially picking up an Abercrombie model makes living in the midwest a small price to pay.

Truly a city stuck in 1998

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

xaarman posted:

Brah, I'm not too far behind you in life, definitely won't be raging or banging Tinder sluts. Grew up in SoCal, very little desire to go back now. NYC is meh.

You're married with multiple kids? Go to MIA, it's the cheapest most junior place AA has. Once you get a line, move to where you want to live, then bid the base that's most easily commutable. Living in base on reserve is nice IF you like the place you live. If you don't, then you end up spending a bunch of time in a place you hate.

I hope you like hurricanes, humidity, and old people.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
This discussion is so much easier and/or depressing on the Canadian side depending on how you look at it. Junior regional base? YYZ. Senior? YYZ. Mainline? YYZ. Corporate? YYZ. Basically, as an airline pilot in Canada, you're probably going to spend a chunk of your career in Toronto as the YUL/YVR/YYC bases some airlines have are hilariously small.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
I think it sucks more that you can't bid around winter weather. I avoid flying anywhere north of SFO between Dec and Feb.

I haven't deiced a jet since 2011, and I intend to keep it that way.

SCOTLAND
Feb 26, 2004
Deicing is great for block growth though, it took us over 40 minutes for type I and IV in YUL the other day.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
I don't remember if I've deiced in Canada yet, but captains here talk about it like the promised land of deicing efficiency and organization.

Actually I have, at YUL, but we were the only plane.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/946566193590296577

congrats I guess

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

It’s like a window into a failed marriage.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I'd lay 10 to 1 odds him stumbling through the leadup to that was also what he sounded like on half his orals for the FAA.

...and probably what everyone in this thread would sound like in both situations, to be fair.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

overdesigned posted:

congrats I guess

I want to say something mean or cynical or make bad joke about mormons but I won't. I hope they're very happy together in their one bedroom apartment by the airport.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Two Kings posted:

I want to say something mean or cynical or make bad joke about mormons but I won't. I hope they're very happy together in their one bedroom apartment by the airport.

Is there such thing as privacy at the crashpad?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Desi posted:

This discussion is so much easier and/or depressing on the Canadian side depending on how you look at it. Junior regional base? YYZ. Senior? YYZ. Mainline? YYZ. Corporate? YYZ. Basically, as an airline pilot in Canada, you're probably going to spend a chunk of your career in Toronto as the YUL/YVR/YYC bases some airlines have are hilariously small.

I imagine if you fly for Porter you’d be looking at YTZ. For you know, some variety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Doesn’t that dingus know you save FA’s for one night stand/side chick status? Vaya con dios.