Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

There's no way to play only the new content, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
no. i wish there was a chapter select or something unlocked after finishing the game

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Proximity is still massively uncomfortable to play through it turns out!!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

mae noooooo

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So how are the prequel games handled? Are they their own separate thing or have they been grafted onto the main story somehow?

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Larryb posted:

So how are the prequel games handled? Are they their own separate thing or have they been grafted onto the main story somehow?

They are listed in an Extra menu along with some great concept art. I've not unlocked all the concept art.

So far, I've seen new characters including one that says she will explain more about Mae's grandfather (nothing revealed yet), and Die Anywhere Else had some new graphical flourishes I think. Also, it feels like the band sections are a lot more reasonable. I felt it was way less punishing with both the gang and the new song selection mode in Mae's room.

Also, Mae starts with a new song unlocked called "Space Dragon" which rocks.

A good update thus far!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Are the dream sequences any better? (i mean they're okay from a first run but on repeat plays euuuugh)

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Haha, hilarious. They changed the start of the game where you jump out of the locked up playground to show a cutscene that straight up tells you what to do because so many people couldn't figure it out. They even added a "just do this for me wehhh" option.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I got guilt tripped by Angus for not playing Demontower :mad:

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Haha, hilarious. They changed the start of the game where you jump out of the locked up playground to show a cutscene that straight up tells you what to do because so many people couldn't figure it out. They even added a "just do this for me wehhh" option.

Were people really confused by that simple section?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

BrendianaJones posted:

Its probably less of a "people are confused" thing and more of an access thing. The game is about the narrative and they literally dont want anyone getting frustrated by the platforming stuff at all.

Also remember that this game is coming to iOS so yeah, they want to make it as simple as possible.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

BrendianaJones posted:

Yeah, I saw a couple let's players who got stuck there for a little while.

The problem was that the game didn't tell you about the third jump being higher unless you examined one of the objects there at least twice and a lot of people assumed examining the same thing twice would just repeat the same message.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Maybe it's just cause I've had years of conditioning because of Mario the two pillars that said 2 and 3 on them leading up to the branch made it clicked instantly what you were supposed to do there. I'm constantly pretty shocked so many people had an issue with it, it seems so obvious to me just as a video game thing

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

Its probably less of a "people are confused" thing and more of an access thing. The game is about the narrative and they literally dont want anyone getting frustrated by the platforming stuff at all.

Also remember that this game is coming to iOS so yeah, they want to make it as simple as possible.

Any official word yet from the developers as to when the other versions might be coming out? Also, has anyone noticed any major alterations to the game other than what's already been mentioned in this thread?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Larryb posted:

Also, has anyone noticed any major alterations to the game other than what's already been mentioned in this thread?

Here's what I noticed in my playthrough (Bea route, did everything I could in town):

- Germ's last friendship scene is added on the last day before poo poo hits the fan
- There's an extended sequence with a new NPC in the underground tunnels
- There are new one-off NPCs strewn about the town throughout the game that you can talk to
- One of them is Gregg's cousin
- Lots of additional/re-worked dialogue
- Molly and the Chamber of Commerce appear in the epilogue
- An additional room in the church that your mom lets you into eventually, has a scene
- The tiny apartment in the Mallard tomb that could be accessed in some pre-release demos is accessible again at a certain point
- You can play Mae's bass in her room, some new songs are playable there

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

BrendianaJones posted:

A sizable group of gamers, maybe even the majority of them, absolutely do not experiment or even try out things in any way.

There were plenty of streamers who played the game, saw that they could jump multiple times, then nodded and went "ok!" and never attempted it, and got stuck there.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Yeah, every single streamer type person I saw got stuck there for an embarrassing long amount of time.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

BrendianaJones posted:

Have you watched the reviewer playing Cuphead's tutorial? If not, you should.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I have to confess it got me stumped for a bit. The triple jump isn't that easy to grasp the first time you're playing and there's a bit of confusion as to where you should be jumping.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

There is a lot of added content. I'm enjoying it a bunch!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Any word yet regarding the portable release (that is, Switch/IOS)? The initial announcement and trailer made it sound like it was coming out for everything at once but obviously this wasn't the case.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Just finished an all Gregg run. Some of the new content felt a bit incomplete and I'm not sure how I feel about replacing some of the dialog, but most of the additional content was great.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I really loved the new scene with the salvager.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So is the Weird Autumn edition not available for other systems yet? I own the PS4 version but can't find anything about it on PSN.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nevermind, seem to have found it. How do you unlock the Extras menu though? Do you have to beat the game first?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 29, 2017

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
I just wrapped up my first playthrough on PC this week and the Extras options was available in the main menu from the start. No need to beat the game.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I just wrapped up my first playthrough on PC this week and the Extras options was available in the main menu from the start. No need to beat the game.

Huh, that's weird because I have the PS4 version and it's not there yet (and I'm pretty sure I've got the Weird Autumn edition since I can play the bass in Mae's room).

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Larryb posted:

Huh, that's weird because I have the PS4 version and it's not there yet (and I'm pretty sure I've got the Weird Autumn edition since I can play the bass in Mae's room).

I believe the extras for the PS4 version are coming in January, wanna say I saw that somewhere?

edit: https://twitter.com/NightInTheWoods/status/941011494065631232

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

I believe the extras for the PS4 version are coming in January, wanna say I saw that somewhere?

edit: https://twitter.com/NightInTheWoods/status/941011494065631232

That would explain it, thanks. Not sure why they'd delay that part though since they explicitly said the new edition was coming out on the 13th for "all major consoles".

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Dec 29, 2017

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Possibly due to that clause Microsoft has with the Xbox One where indie games released for it after the PS4 version need to have "exclusive" content even if it gets added to other versions later on.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Just finished a full Bea playthrough (plus one night with Angus) and I liked a lot of the new editons Weird Autumn provided (such as the options to hang out with Germ, Mae's mom, and a new character as well).

Speaking of which, question about Miss Rosa (the dog lady who hangs out at the pretzel stand occasionally and knew Mae's grandfather), did that final conversation with her during the epilogue mean to imply that she might be Mae's grandmother?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Larryb posted:

that final conversation with her during the epilogue mean to imply that she might be Mae's grandmother?

That’s what I took from it too, yeah

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rex-Goliath posted:

That’s what I took from it too, yeah

I like little touches like that, while they're easy to miss if you're not taking the time to explore but they help expand upon the overall story/world a bit more if you do (the subplot with Bruce and Pastor K is another example of this). I really hope these guys make another game in the future even if it's not a sequel to this.

Also, while I agree that Proximity is one of the best scenes in the game I'd personally say that the dinner at Bea's house, the hangout with Angus at the park, and Mae's confession towards the end (as well as all the buildup to it) are probably up there as well.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 30, 2017

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I drew a Barrrrrowski

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Macaluso posted:

I drew a Barrrrrowski

That's really nice! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I like that the junk she collects actually ends up in Mae's room.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years
I spent new years being depressed about my own life being in shambles and finishing this game because it was therapeutic for that. Related to the messed up little cat girl a lot more than expected.

My question is if I finished this at 3 am January 1st, is it my personal goty for 2017 or 2018?

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

brainSnakes posted:

I spent new years being depressed about my own life being in shambles and finishing this game because it was therapeutic for that. Related to the messed up little cat girl a lot more than expected.

My question is if I finished this at 3 am January 1st, is it my personal goty for 2017 or 2018?

Why not just have it GOTY for both :3:

Just so everyone knows, the soundtrack is on sale on Steam 25% off each album. You get a small bundle discount on it as well I believe

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
A friend gifted me this the other day and I just finished it. I had a lot of fun with it but I think the thing that got me most was just how familiar the town of Possum Springs felt. As more and more information about the town kept trickling out, I saw more and more similarities to my own town of Johnstown in Pennsylvania. At first I had just shrugged it off because there are plenty of towns across the USA that are former industry giants that are dying husks now but more and more similarities kept coming up until I decided to look up the location of the writers. Turns out they're both currently in Pittsburgh and, when interviewed, they said they used various parts of Western PA that they had lived in as inspiration, including Johnstown.

It feels weird to play a game that feels like such a big sendup of all of these towns. I mean, they mentioned other nearby cities too like Altoona and Indiana, but the major effect of the flood had to have been a direct lift from Johnstown's history, and same with the union strike massacre.

It's such an eerie feeling. I don't really know how to describe it. It's kinda like... imagine if you were reading a book and you didn't know much of anything about the book but then about halfway in you start noticing similarities and you eventually realize that book is about you and without realizing it you have been reading through someone else's attempts at writing about your life and experiences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So any word yet as to when this month the rest of the new content (ie: the Extras menu and the previous two side games) will be made available for the PS4 version?