Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hubis posted:

Well, not practically, right? You will get increased latency as you increase in depth, and as I understand it there is a maximum mesh depth (hops away from the hub) of like 15. Still, it should be fine so long as the hub is centrally located.

I don't actually know but I do know I've read of people who've strung them out pretty far in lamp posts along a long walk away from the house. I'm not the sort of person who has 15 lamp posts between my front walk and the street so I've never looked into it too closely. The romantic in me though wants to believe that you could string Hue bulbs from here to Antarctica so long as there's one every thirty feet or so and thus I'll continue to believe it and let the world be that much more magical than if you can't. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is this the best thread to ask general Google Home questions in? I've just incorporated a Mini into the household (and I've got a Home arriving Friday) and I already have several questions about its capabilities.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
I wanna do my own home automation solution as a hobby project. So far my plan is to use a Raspberry Pi 3 as a central server that communicates which whatever modules it needs to, and serves a frontend on the wifi (Probably using react.js and a restful API to communicate with the back-end) that you can use to control the different modules. In terms of pure software I'm pretty sure I know what to do, but my knowledge becomes severely lacking when moving to a lower level than the hardware-software interface.

1) What solution would people recommend for different speaker setups or groups? I've been looking at bluetooth amplifier boards, which would allow me to set up each speaker group with its own BT amplifier, but as far as I can tell they're all crap. Alternatively I could get a straight up fully assembled bluetooth amplifier, but those seem to all be expensive. Is there a good solution here that's not expensive, delivers decent quality and won't require a myriad of cables?
2) Am I correct in thinking I'll need an extra BT module on the Pi for every speaker group that might be active at once? I'm not huge on audio or compression, but I assume that the amplifier will be expecting analogue sound data regardless of make.
3) Is there any documentation on how to execute code on the media coprocessor?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I think so. Speaking of Home, I found a little utility/add-on to Outlook that lets me sync my calendar to a Google Calendar so now my Home can check up and let me know about work events in the morning which is like the last thing I wanted it to do. There are still some quirks to it that Homekit does better and I may need to dick around renaming things since how it uses voice commands as triggers is weird at time but so far I’m happy with the purchase.

One example, I have two lights in my entrance hallway (named entrance hallway and office hallway) and then I have my office lights (office light / desk lamp). If I tell Siri to turn on the office, the office lights turn on. If I tell google to turn on the office lights (you can’t just say office, you need to specify lights), it turns on the office AND the office hallway light. So it seems to prioritize light names over room themselves which is forcing to rename poo poo.

Also the current shortcuts are severely simple (if I say this, do this one thing) so they don’t work very well if you want to automate / do more with one voice command. Not saying that Homekit is much better but at least I can trigger multiple lights/room/scenes so I use Homekit for all my automation still. The last thing I would love to figure out is how to control only the lights that are on and how to establish light colors based on time. Hue Lab lets you do some funky stuff but I have yet to see any tool to really power play with automation and scene management.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

LastInLine posted:

The romantic in me though wants to believe that you could string Hue bulbs from here to Antarctica so long as there's one every thirty feet or so and thus I'll continue to believe it and let the world be that much more magical than if you can't. :)
Alas, one bridge can only handle 50 bulbs.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:

Joda posted:

I wanna do my own home automation solution as a hobby project. So far my plan is to use a Raspberry Pi 3 as a central server that communicates which whatever modules it needs to, and serves a frontend on the wifi (Probably using react.js and a restful API to communicate with the back-end) that you can use to control the different modules. In terms of pure software I'm pretty sure I know what to do, but my knowledge becomes severely lacking when moving to a lower level than the hardware-software interface.

1) What solution would people recommend for different speaker setups or groups? I've been looking at bluetooth amplifier boards, which would allow me to set up each speaker group with its own BT amplifier, but as far as I can tell they're all crap. Alternatively I could get a straight up fully assembled bluetooth amplifier, but those seem to all be expensive. Is there a good solution here that's not expensive, delivers decent quality and won't require a myriad of cables?
2) Am I correct in thinking I'll need an extra BT module on the Pi for every speaker group that might be active at once? I'm not huge on audio or compression, but I assume that the amplifier will be expecting analogue sound data regardless of make.
3) Is there any documentation on how to execute code on the media coprocessor?

No need to write your own, unless you just enjoy the project. Check out Home Assistant.

http://www.diyfuturism.com/index.php/2017/11/26/the-open-source-smart-home-getting-started-with-home-assistant-node-red/

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

It's a hobby project for fun. I'd have been surprised if a solution didn't already exist :P

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

LastInLine posted:

First of all, yes, you should have renamed all your lights in the Hue app. Those names should be reflected in the Home app. Pick unique, easy names to say and it makes things way easier as you add bulbs.

Ah yeah kick-rear end thank you! I had given them nicknames in my Home app but not on the Hue app. It now says "turning off bedroom" instead of "turning of Hue bulb 1". Awesome. I'm really getting into this smart home stuff. What should I smarten up next? I have a big LED hanging shop light over my bar. Could I use a smart plug thing to control it?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Thanks! I snagged an Arlo Q and hopefully things go smoothly. I considered an Amazon Cloud Cam but it looks like you get more with the Arlo Q before going to a paid subscription.
Seems like this will work just fine for making sure my cat is still alive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bgZhhC8mc4

Arlo Q: cat-haver approved

Getimmaaw
Dec 22, 2006
If i got a harmony hub to control my tv in the living room with my alexa, would i have to get a separate hub to control another tv in a different room?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Getimmaaw posted:

If i got a harmony hub to control my tv in the living room with my alexa, would i have to get a separate hub to control another tv in a different room?

Yes.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Getimmaaw posted:

Yes, but if the rooms are close and you don’t mind going through walls you can use a wired IR repeater to bridge between the two rooms (I use one to bridge the Harmony Hub into a media cabinet.)

Second Hub is probably easier though.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Kalman posted:

Yes, but if the rooms are close and you don’t mind going through walls you can use a wired IR repeater to bridge between the two rooms (I use one to bridge the Harmony Hub into a media cabinet.)

Second Hub is probably easier though.

I have a samsung tv and my harmony hub connected to it via WiFi I think.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Today for no particular reason and with me having not changed or messed with anything, all my hue bulbs no longer get a response on homekit/Siri. They still work through the app and google home but apple’s end just died apparently. I restarted my hub (TV) but that didn’t do anything.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Try deleting and re-adding the Hue hub using the Home app?

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

Set up a reliable RAID server to run ZoneMinder, and set up all PoE cameras (vandal proof like Axis brand IP cams), patch them all in to their own unmanaged switch.

Yeah, there's more convenient ways to do it, but that one is pretty drat reliable. We did that at a psychiatric hospital.

If you are sure your network is up to snuff, you could spin up a VM on an actual good local server, and put all the cameras on a VLAN on the existing switches, but doing it all standalone is a valid option if you're not confident all the network chatter won't impact production.

If you use Zoneminder, be aware that the current stable version doesn't support recording H.264. So you will want to make sure that when you do storage calculations you do them with the assumption of MJPEG streams. And Zoneminder tends to be a resource hog, so make sure that you're scaling up hardware requirements.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Today for no particular reason and with me having not changed or messed with anything, all my hue bulbs no longer get a response on homekit/Siri. They still work through the app and google home but apple’s end just died apparently. I restarted my hub (TV) but that didn’t do anything.

For what it's worth, I've not had stellar reliability with Hue bulbs working with my Google Homes. Problems come and go, and I place all of the blame on the Hue.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Super odd, but same for me except replace hue with August. I have both the lock and doorbell, and now the lock won’t get added to HomeKit. Both work individually with their own app though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Everything is back to normal again. Guess HomeKit was just not feeling it yesterday.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I definitely had that happen once and I don't know what went wrong or why it fixed, I guess it's just good that it got better.

Urzza
Sep 8, 2007
Rippen off MTG since 2002
Does anyone know of any open source or cheap video analytics software that one could use for analyzing recorded footage? I would like to be able to select an area in the footage, and have the software determine if and when there’s movement in that area. I would be using this to help me quickly review footage.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Urzza posted:

Does anyone know of any open source or cheap video analytics software that one could use for analyzing recorded footage? I would like to be able to select an area in the footage, and have the software determine if and when there’s movement in that area. I would be using this to help me quickly review footage.

I'm not aware of any. Generally motion detection is talked about separately than other analytics, so if you're searching for software that can do it you'll probably want to not use analytics as a search term. But this tends to be a function built into most VMS platforms. The marketing names will be smart search, motion search, movement search, etc.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
So my energy company is offering me an Ecobee 4 for $74.

I already have a Nest and Nest Protect - but I also have Echos and Dots all around the house. And while Nest works with them, it's a bit clunky.

At $74 it's a no brainer right? Is it really worth the switch?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

BonoMan posted:

I already have a Nest and Nest Protect - but I also have Echos and Dots all around the house. And while Nest works with them, it's a bit clunky.

I've always thought that the Ecobee would be nice if you have a larger house and could use multiple sensors but I have a small one and the Nest does fine. How often are you adjusting the Nest? I find I set it and forget it for the most part. I use Google Assistant to control it if I have to but even after a year I could count on one hand how many times I've had to.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

LastInLine posted:

I've always thought that the Ecobee would be nice if you have a larger house and could use multiple sensors but I have a small one and the Nest does fine. How often are you adjusting the Nest? I find I set it and forget it for the most part. I use Google Assistant to control it if I have to but even after a year I could count on one hand how many times I've had to.

Yeah I have a small (1900 sq ft) house and the Nest is right in the middle.

I guess I don't really need the Ecobee. I use the app for most stuff and I have a Protect as well (and might buy into the Nest Guard system) so I guess I'll just stick with what I have.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I don’t understand why anyone would need multiple sensors if you’ve only got one HVAC unit. You’re not getting more granular control without active dampers.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

eddiewalker posted:

I don’t understand why anyone would need multiple sensors if you’ve only got one HVAC unit. You’re not getting more granular control without active dampers.

I could see it being kind of nice to have the fan turn on for 20 minutes if you detect a temperature difference greater than 2 degrees between any of your different sensors, especially if you have a multi story house that isn't the best at keeping an even temperature between levels.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

eddiewalker posted:

Our hallway is wildly different (by like 5 to 6 degrees) from our kid's bedroom. So it'd be nice for us to have a sensor in there so we can make sure it's adjusted to what is comfortable for her.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Same. The reason I went with an Ecobee was because our upstairs and downstairs temperatures can be significantly different at times, and one or two rooms often get colder than the rest. Obviously a multi-zone system, replacing windows, better insulation, etc. are all more legitimate solutions, but as a stopgap, the room sensors are at least a little bit helpful to keep things under control.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

eddiewalker posted:

I don't understand why anyone would need multiple sensors if you've only got one HVAC unit. You're not getting more granular control without active dampers.

Same as the others. My house has the thermostat in the bedroom hallway upstairs, which means downstairs where my office is inevitably cold in the winter and hot in the summer. If I could switch to an EcoBee for under $100 I'd do it in a heartbeat. I have no idea why Nest continues to neglect the need for additional sensors.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

BonoMan posted:

You can easily sell it on ebay for more than $74 if you decide you don't like it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

eddiewalker posted:

Ecobee works with smart vents!

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
Id like to add smart vents but all of mine are circular rather than rectangular. Any tips on finding those?

Also anyone have experience with smart blinds? Alexa/homekit compatibility a plus.

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Ecobee works with smart vents!
There's concern that smart vents can lead to a severely unbalanced HVAC system, causing all sorts of chaos with the compressor due to backpressure and such.

Keystoned posted:

Also anyone have experience with smart blinds? Alexa/homekit compatibility a plus.

Lutron's offerings are supposed to be really good and their entry-level Serena line works with their Caseta system (which integrates with HomeKit, Google Home and Alexa). The higher-end Sivoia QS line has more options (a lot more), is more expensive and requires at least their RA2 Select system (which also integrates with HomeKit, Google Home and Alexa).

phongn fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 15, 2017

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Im also looking at smart blinds atm and noticed that hunter douglas also now has an alexa compatible system. Ill be pricing them soon so ill let the thread know how they compare to lutron prices.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I thought Lutron prices were kinda high, but I guess I know zero about roller shades.

Let us know what you find. I got a wall of windows I need coverered.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
lutron blinds are the most expensive but better than anyone else's by a country mile

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I got a motion sensor for Hue to use in the bathroom, and according to HomeKit this thing is reading room temperature? Is that HomeKit weirdness, or could I possibly use this with an Ecobee in lieu of their own room temp sensors?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Anyone know any good deals on z-wave or zigbee (anything smartthings compatible) receptacles? Prefer in-wall replacements, but I'd use a plug-in type for the right price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

Anyone know any good deals on z-wave or zigbee (anything smartthings compatible) receptacles? Prefer in-wall replacements, but I'd use a plug-in type for the right price.

Amazon has a bunch of in-walls for 30-35, depending on manufacturer. That seems to be their typical low on them.