Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Not all 6 figure jobs require knowledge past what you're doing. I know plenty of tradesmen that earn 6 figures and still blow all of it on trucks, four-wheelers, fishing boats, old cars they plan on fixing up but never do, a new barn to put all the project cars, etc. They'll have like $500 in their checking account and $40k in credit card debt making minimum payments because almost every cent of their $4k bi monthly check goes to interest on already purchased poo poo.

Kind of a long way of saying BWM knows no income level.

This. While I have some coworkers that are frugal, I definitely see plenty of new luxury cars in the parking lot. One guy got hired at 19, did some juju to have no witholding on his taxes after a year and some time later bought a Jaguar :stare: . He boasted to me about sticking it to the dealer who asked about financing by dumping a backpack full of $40,000 cash on the guy's desk triumphantly.

We also have a few co workers that basically have to work 6-7 days/week and work their vacations in order to keep up with mortgage payments/child support/horse fees or whatever. One guy has 7(!) kids from 3 different moms and doesn't have custody of any of them, which is not surprising considering that he basically has to work himself to death just to keep up with all the support payments/alimony/mortgages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Doc Hawkins posted:

DesolateRampage said they work with healthcare accounts, so I assume it's someone saying their horsefun is therapeutic.

That's definitely a thing for a lot of kids with developmental disabilities.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Doc Hawkins posted:

DesolateRampage said they work with healthcare accounts, so I assume it's someone saying their horsefun is therapeutic.

If a presidential candidate can get away with claiming a 77,000 tax deduction because a dancing horse helps with multiple sclerosis, then you can probably pay for horse camp with HSA money if the word "therapeutic" shows up anywhere in the brochure.

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!
I think paying for horse camp with HSA money counts as BWM anyway. With the tax advantages of an HSA, shouldn’t you use it to save (if possible) for inevitable healthcare expenses later in life?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
How much of a tax writeoff did Pick get for her Therapy Horse?

Because with everything else I heard about her parents, there's no way they agreed to something like that without having it benefit them financially in some way.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Panfilo posted:

One guy has 7(!) kids from 3 different moms and doesn't have custody of any of them, which is not surprising considering that he basically has to work himself to death just to keep up with all the support payments/alimony/mortgages.

This man is a total slut. Imagine what people would say about a woman with that many kids from different fathers.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

therobit posted:

This man is a total slut. Imagine what people would say about a woman with that many kids from different fathers.

My brother coined the term Shasta County Virgin which refers to a woman who only had one child by the time she was sixteen. While in other areas guys worry about finding childless women over thirty, in NorCal guys worry about finding childless women old enough to drink.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

therobit posted:

Two more and he can field a baseball team!

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

therobit posted:

Nothing at all, because you don't want to open that :can: on this forum.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
I propose a moratorium on buttcoin/craptocurrency-related posts since that poo poo is bleeding into every single thread I have bookmarked. There are dedicated threads for that poo poo already—can we just accept that it's inherently BWM and leave the discussion of it to the other threads?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Weatherman posted:

I propose a moratorium on buttcoin/craptocurrency-related posts since that poo poo is bleeding into every single thread I have bookmarked. There are dedicated threads for that poo poo already—can we just accept that it's inherently BWM and leave the discussion of it to the other threads?

As long as we can keep the stories of people who have mortgaged their livers to buy bitcoin and are now under threat of having their organs repoed.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Doc Hawkins posted:

As much as this thread likes to poo poo on horses, equine therapy is legit and can be hugely helpful for children/adults with disabilities and to children from really troubled backgrounds or dealing with trauma.

Horses aren't inherently the fragile lunatics this thread likes to joke about, and for someone with serious disabilities, being able to care for and ride a large, gentle animal really helps develop a sense of agency along with a lot of other mental and physical skills. For kids with physical and developmental disabilities, it's a gentle but engaging way to practice motor skills or do rehab work. It's hard to explain to a disabled kid that they have to do a bunch of weird and painful things for reasons that don't make sense to them, but much easier to get them to brush a horse or sit in a saddle. For kids who spend a lot of time in a hospital or care situation with little to no ability to control what's happening to them or assert themselves, it's a really good tool.

For kids dealing with serious trauma or coming from really rough backgrounds, it's a big deal to be able to work with this huge powerful animal way bigger and stronger than you are and to take charge of its care in a way that rewards your effort and attention.

:horse:

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I'd be interested to hear if there are scientific studies published in reputable peer-reviewed journals showing a long-term benefit for equine therapy.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

This thread loves beating dead Freckles, but not everything related to horses is BWM or woo-woo bullshit.

http://journals.lww.com/jnpt/Abstract/2007/06000/Effects_of_Hippotherapy_on_Postural_Stability,_in.7.aspx
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1017/S0012162207000175.x/full
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1469-8749.1998.tb12344.x/full
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4017275/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26088658
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25269512

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

GamingHyena posted:

Looking at the report, probably a mixture of being unbanked, the historical fallout of decades of redlining, and the resulting lack of wealth from compounding returns that whites enjoy.

• The typical white household in Boston is more likely than nonwhite households to own every type of liquid asset. For example, close to half of Puerto Ricans and a quarter of U.S. blacks don't have either a savings or checking account, compared to only 7% of whites.
  • Whites and nonwhites also exhibit important differences in assets that associated with homeownership, basic transportation, and retirement. Close to 80% of whites own a home, whereas only one-third of U.S. blacks, less than one-fifth of Dominicans and Puerto Ricans, and only half of Caribbean blacks are homeowners. And while most white households (56 percent) own retirement accounts, only one-fifth of U.S and Caribbean blacks, and 8 percent of Dominicans have them.
  • Although members of communities of color are less likely to own homes, among homeowners they are more likely to have mortgage debt. Nonwhite households are more likely than whites to have student loans and medical debt.

I'd blame it mostly on generational lack of home ownership. The Boston housing market is completely insane. I was looking at a job as an engineering supervisor there until I looked at the rental and purchase costs of housing. I would have needed room mates. As an engineering supervisor. You need to already own a house in the area to not be poor.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

A key problem with Boston is that even if you actually manage to fix your racism, the effects of it linger for generations. The fact that white people had an advantage in the past means that more of those families are likely to own homes or have accrued wealth, which gets passed on to the next generation in terms of resources and opportunities. Spoiler: Boston has not actually fixed its racism, so we're not even at the point of just dealing with after effects.

A lot of they money and growth that has come into Boston is also flowing to very specific areas and fields. A lot of the Boston-area growth is in hospitals, universities, biotech, and finance. That doesn't really help the people who have lost out on manufacturing jobs that used to exist in the city and area, and disproportinately benefit people who can manage to get a MS/PhD in the necessary field.

The housing market here is also insane. You are competing against all the people glutted on the money from the above industries for purchasing, and against all the students looking to part out a place for renting. It's not the worst in the country, but it compounds the city's problems.

:wrongcity:

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

therobit posted:

Bad things. Fortunately, smart people know that men and women are inherently different on a biological level. More specifically, that the biological cost of bearing the offspring to term is borne by the woman.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
The headline number of $8 is certainly shocking in Boston but the median net worth of black households in United States as a whole is also approximately $0, approximately meaning less than a years take home minimum wage and substantially less than necessary to have resilience against personal, employment, medical, or other hardship

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Please no one take the bait. It’s really good bait I know but don’t take it!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

The headline number of $8 is certainly shocking in Boston but the median net worth of black households in United States as a whole is also approximately $0, approximately meaning less than a years take home minimum wage and substantially less than necessary to have resilience against personal, employment, medical, or other hardship

Yeah the national number is like eleven grand or something.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Senor Dog posted:

You made me all curious so I looked at it and imo it's a pretty easy one to pass up, especially from forums superstar John "The Ubermensch" Smith. Definitely not one of his better works.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Senor Dog posted:

I think we can all agree that there’s probably only one thing on this earth that John Smith is good at, and that’s being a master baiter.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I think we can all agree that there’s probably only one thing on this earth that John Smith is good at, and that’s being a master baiter.
Don't respond then. That is entirely acceptable.

But why should people get away with far-left or left nonsense without being challenged? I would argue that I am the sensible fellow here, since I know myself for the far-right person I am. I own who I am. Rather than being in denial, as many of you are.

therobit posted:

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

quote:

But why should people get away with far-left or left nonsense without being challenged? I would argue

This isn't D&D, shut up

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7jlrhb/keep_maxing_out_my_credit_cards_and_need_a_higher/ posted:

Keep maxing out my credit cards and need a higher limit. Advice?

I have three cards, $1K, $2.5K, and $8K. The latter two have the "best" rewards at 1.25% cash back and 1% cash back respectively.

I run a small reselling/flipping business where my monthly turnover is ~20-30K/month. I have to transfer funds every few days to be able to keep buying more inventory.

All the banks keep saying to come back in a few months but by then things will (hopefully) just be busier.

Any tips? I'm in Ontario, Canada.

Yeah a flipping business using credit cards, that won't explode spectacularly.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7jolwm/what_should_we_do_boyfriend_is_in_debt_and_way/ posted:

What should we do? Boyfriend is in debt and way overextending us.

After discussing our goals as a couple we decided financially it makes sense for us to combine forces and join finances. We are both home owners and make $45-50k a year (I had bonuses this year so I am a little over 50k). I considered my boyfriend a financially responsible adult until I saw how much debt he’s in. $35k in student loans, $10k for his truck, and $5k for his boat. He has an $8k four wheeler that just sits in the barn that he recently payed off. I completely understand wanting to have nice things and men need their “toys” but he has no savings and is completely overextended each month. The only debt I have is my mortgage. My car and student loans were paid off this year. But now that we’ve consolidated my debt is his and vice versa.

So as I mentioned we are both homeowners. My home is our sole residence. His home is a small lake front cottage he bought for $77k and owes $72k. He renovated and repaired and its now appraised at $129k. We made a spread sheet of our debt to income with both houses and all of his student loans/other debts and it just makes sense to sell his cottage. We never go there and it’s just a pain to upkeep. He is 100% on board with this plan as now I think his eyes have been opened to how much debt he’s really in. When he sells the cottage he should make enough profit to take a big chunk out of his debt.

So my question is: 1. When we sell this cottage, which debt makes the most sense to clear first? I am thinking his student loans because they are 6% interest and his largest debt. However the boat is on a credit card that is 10% interest.

In the meantime before this house is sold how should we go about allotting money for the debts? Should we focus on paying off the boat since it’s a credit card and the smallest debt? Or should we just make minimum payments so we aren’t cash poor and can put more into savings?

Thanks!

I'm sure the boyfriend was on board with her helping to assume his debts.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Inept posted:

This isn't D&D, shut up

Yeah a flipping business using credit cards, that won't explode spectacularly.

Didn't the housing bubble finally burst in Ontario too? I guess it depends which part of Ontario though.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Inept posted:

Guy's not even that bad off by BWM standards. If he can sell the cottage, he's basically debt free, and probably splitting a very low mortgage payment with the girlfriend. Sell the 4 wheeler (I'm assuming he "needs" the boat because he lives in an area where people do a lot of boating things, or obviously he could get rid of that too) and restrain himself from buying expensive toys and he'll be set to start saving for the future.

quote:

our ultimate goal is to have another child

...and nevermind.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 14, 2017

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Elysium posted:

Guy's not even that bad off by BWM standards. If he can sell the cottage, he's basically debt free, and probably splitting a very low mortgage payment with the girlfriend. Sell the 4 wheeler (I'm assuming he "needs" the boat because he lives in an area where people do a lot of boating things, or obviously he could get rid of that too) and restrain himself from buying expensive toys and he'll be set to start saving for the future.

In the comments she said they used the boat 5 times this year. If he can't resist buying a boat with a credit card, I doubt he's going to curb his toy habit. Selling the cottage will bail him out, but if they hadn't moved in together, this guy would be much worse off. Best case, he takes out a home equity loan to pay off his boat.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

John Smith posted:

Don't respond then. That is entirely acceptable.

But why should people get away with far-left or left nonsense without being challenged? I would argue that I am the sensible fellow here, since I know myself for the far-right person I am. I own who I am. Rather than being in denial, as many of you are.

Why must you make my job harder? Post about BWM

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Weatherman posted:

I'm on board with this if everyone else is. We already have an alt-coin thread. It's fine to post about people mortgaging their houses to buy bitcoin or other fuckwittery, but leave the nuts and bolts discussion to the other thread.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I find the whole idea that boys need toys to be insulting.

Yes, I'm the spoilsport who doesn't see the point of a jetski.

Also mancaves are stupid. Just call it an office or den.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Moneyball posted:

Why must you make my job harder? Post about BWM

He's been probated in various versions of the BWM thread about 10 times now. He's not going to stop.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7jnp7n/can_i_write_off_my_movie_passmovie_tickets_as_an/ posted:

Can I write off my movie pass/movie tickets as an expense if I work for a film company?

Can I write it off as "research" when it comes to tax season? If so, can I simply provide a bank statement with the billing info?

Help, can I commit tax fraud to save $37???

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

I picture "dens" to be covered in wood paneling with a big fire place, highback leather chairs, a decanter of brandy on a small table, a constantly burning cigar, and an Irish Wolfhound to pet.

A man cave I picture a collection of 90's video game systems plugged into the family's old 42" plasma tv with the browsing guide burned into it and empty Miller Lite cans strewn around a stained futon.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Krispy Wafer posted:

Or a budhole.

Want to see my budhole?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Clearly it's called a study, you uncultured swine.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

I picture "dens" to be covered in wood paneling with a big fire place, highback leather chairs, a decanter of brandy on a small table, a constantly burning cigar, and an Irish Wolfhound to pet.

A man cave I picture a collection of 90's video game systems plugged into the family's old 42" plasma tv with the browsing guide burned into it and empty Miller Lite cans strewn around a stained futon.

My grandparents had a room they called a den, so I would have to call it my study.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Moneyball posted:

I'm on board with this if everyone else is. We already have an alt-coin thread. It's fine to post about people mortgaging their houses to buy bitcoin or other fuckwittery, but leave the nuts and bolts discussion to the other thread.
I'll second it. I already read the bitcoin thread in GBS anyway. Go there if you want to read all the bitcoin squabbling.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Inept posted:

The only thing I take issue with is using a credit card instead of secured financing for his boat. He paid off his 4 wheeler, the car and educational debt are well within normal bounds, and the lake house is cheap and will probably continue to appreciate. If he can afford to service the debt, which it sounds like he can since he just paid off the atv, he is gonna be fine. Just because some goons would rather sabe or party with whatever extra income they have does not mean he is bad with money for buying a couple toys.

Also, 10% isn't THAT much worse than normal toy loan financing, especially if it is an older boat that might not finance.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

therobit posted:

Also, 10% isn't THAT much worse than normal toy loan financing, especially if it is an older boat that might not finance.

Seriously, 10% is a great rate. Best I can get on an unsecured loan right now is north of 12%, and that's with excellent credit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

therobit posted:

The only thing I take issue with is using a credit card instead of secured financing for his boat. He paid off his 4 wheeler, the car and educational debt are well within normal bounds, and the lake house is cheap and will probably continue to appreciate. If he can afford to service the debt, which it sounds like he can since he just paid off the atv, he is gonna be fine. Just because some goons would rather sabe or party with whatever extra income they have does not mean he is bad with money for buying a couple toys.

She says in the comments that he can't afford to service the things he has.

quote:

The reason he wants to sell the house is because he is overwhelmed with bills each month and our ultimate goal is to have another child and build our own house together. Daycare cost $1k a month and right now there is absolutely no way we could afford that with the $600 mortgage, $100 minimum boat payment, $200 truck payment, and $350 a month in student loans. His 401k is turned off and he doesn’t have a savings.