Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

priznat posted:

Yeah it’s almost assuredly going to be what is picked.

Just wonder if the clapped out aussie superhornets will make it that long. ~opens body panel on delivery, 50 empty cans of Fosters spill out~

Use the empties to re-skin the aircraft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Use the empties to re-skin the aircraft

Worked for the CH-46.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

North Korean TV footage of an arms and munitions industry conference appears to show the country's former leader Kim Jong-il inspecting one of the country's first ever atomic bombs.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

priznat posted:

Just wonder if the clapped out aussie superhornets will make it that long. ~opens body panel on delivery, 50 empty cans of Fosters spill out~

As I understand it self-respecting australians don't drink fosters

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Yeah but good luck finding a self respecting Australian. :v:

Seriously though Coopers bottles or if you want to impugn our honour even further: XXXX Gold and goon bags.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I was trying to be cruel dammit

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
As I understood it we aren't even selling the canucks our superhornets, but the legacy bugs we built under license.

Man, we used to be able to build a fighter jet here. :negative:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I thought we still did. Isn't there a factory in Vic for that? Doesn't the future f35 deal allow for building or at least major maintenance/repairs to be done in AU?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Carth Dookie posted:

I thought we still did. Isn't there a factory in Vic for that? Doesn't the future f35 deal allow for building or at least major maintenance/repairs to be done in AU?

Have to work out something - it's a long flight to Guam and a US airbase with the proper facilities to service stealth aircraft. An even longer one to Okinawa.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Would have thought the US would see an advantage in having repair/build capability on this side of the globe within a stable Ally's borders outside of Kim's missile range.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I would guess that the US would rather the Aussies provide a long term lease for a base operated by the US and then set up a maintenance facility there.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
US F-22s intercept Russian jets over Syria, fire warning flares

I'm imagining F-22s tangling with Frogfoots. Adorable

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Kinda weird that the F-22s are doing the tard wrangling rather than having some clapped out Vipers or something on bumper car duty with the Raptors sorta circling off to the side a bit where a drunk Russian can't oopsie his flying dump truck into your irreplaceable fighter jet.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

aphid_licker posted:

Kinda weird that the F-22s are doing the tard wrangling rather than having some clapped out Vipers or something on bumper car duty with the Raptors sorta circling off to the side a bit where a drunk Russian can't oopsie his flying dump truck into your irreplaceable fighter jet.

You intercept with what you got on station.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
https://theaviationist.com/2017/12/...ian-mod-claims/

"CENTCOM CJTF OIR PAO QWERTYUIOP denies and debunks the Russian claims"

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cat Mattress posted:

It just means the public affairs officer for the commander of the joint task force that is working Operation Inherent Resolve, under the direction of the Central Command Combatant Commander, has denied and debunked the Russian claims.

:eng101:

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

mlmp08 posted:

It just means the public affairs officer for the commander of the joint task force that is working Operation Inherent Resolve, under the direction of the Central Command Combatant Commander, has denied and debunked the Russian claims.

:eng101:
Combined Joint Task Force, actually. And am I the only one who thinks it's odd that a military operation has its own website?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

darthbob88 posted:

Combined Joint Task Force, actually. And am I the only one who thinks it's odd that a military operation has its own website?

That's a non-doctrinal made up name. CJTF means Commander, Joint Task Force. MNTF means multinational task force.

Even though I know CJTF, as presently and stupidly used, stands for combined joint task force, it's super dumb and I hate how every little operation has to make up their own name for themselves for no reason other than being confusing or, most often, trying to sound cool. Joint is inherent in combined operations, CJTF is so duuumb.....

This needs CJTF approval. Wait, CJTF is a task force, how can a task force approve it. Oh, you meant the commander of the MNTF.

Forces in Afghanistan do this to the nth degree.

e: gently caress, of course they call the commander the CJFLCC-OIR commander. :negative:

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 15, 2017

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

aphid_licker posted:

I'm finding trouble envisioning the circumstances where a Frogfoot could midair an F-22 that don't come down to staggering incompetence on the part of the F-22 driver.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

The navy has rammed several half billion dollar ships into gigantic freighters this year. Never shrug off incompetence.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Phanatic posted:

I'm finding trouble envisioning the circumstances where a Frogfoot could midair an F-22 that don't come down to staggering incompetence on the part of the F-22 driver.

In the most technical sense, any time the Frogfoot moves in the path of the F-22, the F-22 has to maneuver to avoid a collision, and then of course we can talk that up.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

my kinda ape posted:

IIRC it's also perfectly acceptable to eat pork if you have no alternative but starve.

I have it on good authority* that pork and Moslems is like garlic and vampires.

*source:

Carth Dookie posted:

Yeah but good luck finding a self respecting Australian. :v:

:master:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

priznat posted:

Then you'll know it wasn't us as no one here drinks fosters hurr hurr.
From what I saw on the news though, canada was buying our old f/a18s, not supers. How's that for cruel?
I think they plan on buying our supers after we got the f35 , but I may be wrong there. E: something something boeing stoush so they don't want to buy new or deal direct with usa boeing

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 15, 2017

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yer right, it is non supers, even worse.

Also with the Fosters that is the stereotype along with all australians are capable of operating a ski lift. (Last one more of a BC based stereotype)

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

aphid_licker posted:

If that mini-Cold War ever goes hot, a whole bunch of clapped out Vipers on station would be eating double-digit SAMs to clear a path for whatever the reds throw up next.

Cat Mattress posted:

Oh god that's so painful to try to read through.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Dec 15, 2017

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
This seems like the best place to ask this: Opinions on the following?

So setting aside the weird and wonderful ideas that the Australian government have for their next class of submarines, I came across this article that suggests a group of "prominent Australians" are mad at the government for not buying Nuke subs instead of the diesel modifications of a French design they've selected. "It'll be BETTER and *cheaper in the long run*..."

Now my gut tells me that a nation with zero experience operating nuclear subs, and not a great record keeping the conventional ones they helped build operational, probably doesn't need to be tooling around with nuke boats, no matter how "off the shelf" they are. Seems like training and maintenence costs would be through the roof. Then there's the question of whether the nuke option is actually better than diesels for Australia, cost aside.

I'd be interested to know what the goons ITT think

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
The nuclear thing is dumb but not buying an off-the-shelf option and also trying to fund a jobs program through defence spending is also dumb. Should have gone with the Japanese option IMO

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

slothrop posted:

This seems like the best place to ask this: Opinions on the following?

So setting aside the weird and wonderful ideas that the Australian government have for their next class of submarines, I came across this article that suggests a group of "prominent Australians" are mad at the government for not buying Nuke subs instead of the diesel modifications of a French design they've selected. "It'll be BETTER and *cheaper in the long run*..."

Now my gut tells me that a nation with zero experience operating nuclear subs, and not a great record keeping the conventional ones they helped build operational, probably doesn't need to be tooling around with nuke boats, no matter how "off the shelf" they are. Seems like training and maintenence costs would be through the roof. Then there's the question of whether the nuke option is actually better than diesels for Australia, cost aside.

I'd be interested to know what the goons ITT think

I don't know about better, but it'd definitely be not cheaper. Nuclear is hugely expensive, especially when you figure all the costs of all the extra facilities you need for it. Basically it's a bunch of contractors/corporations etc complaining "we coulda had even more".

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
IIRC one of the (many) objections at the time for making the new UK carriers nuclear was how much it would impact manning in the RN. Not just having the additional sailors on the ship, but recruiting, training & retaining nuke-qualified sailors and engineers for two giant carriers was too much for the RN to manage even with their nuclear sub program experience.

Nuke goons feel free to tell me I'm full of poo poo.

But man navies are expensive, both in money and people. i think we should all agree to disband all our navies and go back to something cool like zeppelin battles.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Re-invoke the Washington naval treaty and ban every major new weapons system developed after 1922

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Never mind how much it would piss off NZ if Australia picked up some nuke boats...

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Was anyone able to find the actual letter? I'm really curious why the Australian Business Elite thinks nuclear subs have an overwhelming combat advantage over diesel-electric. Is there some actual reality-based logic to it or is it just nuke->better in the minds of the corporate overlords?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The only way that sounds like it justifies itself is if Australia is contemplating some kind of go-it-alone scenario against a distant peer opponent.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Nuke boats have huge advantages in operational range and cruising speed, right? Anything else?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Smiling Jack posted:

Nuke boats have huge advantages in operational range and cruising speed, right? Anything else?

Infinitely better MPG.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Smiling Jack posted:

Nukes can stay submerged indefinitely.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Diesel-electric is supposedly quieter, though, and air-independent propulsion is supposed to be quieter again. Not that Australia wouldn't be able to put the range to use, but I don't think they're quite in a situation like the US where it's a hard requirement

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Shooting Blanks posted:

Never mind how much it would piss off NZ if Australia picked up some nuke boats...

What are they going to do about it? Raise a Hobbit army and invade over it?

I've no real opinion either way on diesel vs nuke subs for us, but I do think we need newer ones that actually can be at sea doing sub stuff.

Having coastal defence diesel subs is fine. It just depends on what our military strategy is supposed to be and I can kind of see why it would be nice to have boats that can do that, but also sit off the coast of North Korea basically as long as there's food available.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Nukes can stay submerged indefinitely.

The limiting factor for nuke boats is food, basically. Everything else they can generate on board.