Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

ugh whatever jeez posted:

Hey, I finally picked this up since it was on sale and I have newbie question. Do I need to micromanage ship builds or can I just mostly trust that auto-upgrade/auto-best feature?

I just started as well, but I think how it works is - autoupgrade will upgrade a ship design as long as it doesn't cause negative power balance. It won't add or change components for you, so sometimes even if you have researched e.g. new weapons, you have to go into the ship designer to add another power generator or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
Hey guys, how the hell do you play this game? I’ve gone through like 150 years of tutorial before I realized I was vastly outclassed by everyone else in the galaxy and started over. All my factional infighting dropped my influence to zero, which obviously had lots of knockon effects that hobbled my civ.

I gave up on that and started a second game as a hive mind. Things were going ok until about 2350 or so when the “jingoistic reclaimers” decided to smash my poo poo and take over half my planets without breaking a sweat. One of their cruisers can easily take on one my battleships, and they had a HUGE numerical advantage. Each of their half-dozen stacks is over 100k in power and all of my ships put together are about 50k.

So uh. What the hell? How do you play this game? Are there any good tutorials on YouTube I should check out? Or... something?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In the second instance that's an awakened empire and they will push your poo poo in yes.

I suppose my general advice is "make friends" because you won't last five minutes without any unless you are extremely good at killing people. Even as a murder empire you want ideally to find another ideologically aligned murder empire to team up with, cos the way diplomacy works is that people will rally against you if they think you're a threat.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Remember to go into the ship designer and actually upgrade your ships from the default, I kinda forgot to for a century and got walloped in my first run initially. Make sure to have some kind of carrier aspect in your battleships, a carrier core is good, because those little bastards can decimate an enemy fleet of cruisers and battleships in very little time. Be sure to research shield and armor upgrades, and focus on shields at least early on.

Edit: yeah if it's an awakened or fallen empire then they're designed to be huge monsters early on, but they can never reinforce their fleets so inevitably they get whittled down. If they're attacking you you got unlucky and you might have to become their vassal or be humiliated by surrendering to them immediately before they wipe your poo poo out. Both of my runs involved being an awakened empire vassal for a time before I turned on them.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Dec 13, 2017

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Having friends is incredibly important in the early game. You get friends by hating the same people, just like in real life. Look at who your prospective friend is rivalling, and rival them too.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Make non-aggression/defensive pacts early on with any neighbours that are willing. Remember to check out the fleet power of neighbouring empires and try to keep your fleet at equivalent.

There are multiple ways to manage troublesome factions. Use edicts and buildings that increase governing ethics attraction on planets with lots of annoying faction members. You can promote or discourage specifc factions via the factions tab. It costs a bit of influence, but a happy majority faction can more than make up for it in extra influence bonuses. Sometimes a faction can be placated or pleased simply by changing government policies on things that make little impact in the early game such as forced migration or orbital bombardment limitations. Remember the distance a planet is from your capital affects the likelihood of pops having ethics contrary to those of the government.
Even a hopeless war can be dragged out until a white peace is acceptable, giving you 10 years to recover and get extra allies. If an awakened empire is after your behind, sometimes it's worth giving in to their demands, especially if that means becoming a vassal, giving you a powerful ally.

This has been said lots of times but in the early game, mineral production trumps everything, allowing you to build research stations and fleets as time goes on. Also, exceeding the fleet cap just increases upkeep, which is perfectly tolerable if you have some extra energy stockpiled and need to shift the economy towards total war mode.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Captain Invictus posted:

Edit: yeah if it's an awakened or fallen empire then they're designed to be huge monsters early on, but they can never reinforce their fleets so inevitably they get whittled down.

Awakened empires can build ships

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

ugh whatever jeez posted:

Hey, I finally picked this up since it was on sale and I have newbie question. Do I need to micromanage ship builds or can I just mostly trust that auto-upgrade/auto-best feature?

Auto upgrade will keep your ship design but swap in higher tier components as you research them as long as the ship has enough spare power. The auto generated ship designs are pretty universally trash, it's not impossible to use them by any means but you'll have to spend significantly more minerals and fleet power doing so.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Farecoal posted:

And oh they will. I routinely see them with 400K fleets.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Decadence may eventually prevent them from building ships, but in general yes they'll reinforce and build new fleets.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Most awoken empires won't give a poo poo about their vassals getting invaded, fair warning, with the big exception being the Benevolent Interventionists.

The Guardians of Knowledge for instance won't care if their vassals declare war on each other.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The fact that they don't care is actually super useful for Federation breaking too, since one an AE subjugates them you can attack them on their own and not worry about shared truces.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/940959320841342977

Even in a rough draft state, this is looking good.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GunnerJ posted:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/940959320841342977

Even in a rough draft state, this is looking good.
Looking real good.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Have they mentioned any hints to when they plan to release that update at all?

Farecoal posted:

Really? How quickly? I think I've seen them make a titan ship but outside of that they didn't really do much to increase their fleet strengrh, and once their fleets got wiped for being belligerent shitheads to the other empires they never rebuilt them until I conquered them

Also where are player titan ships huh, and why can't I at the highest tech tiers figure out them magical newfangled autonomous fabricators and agri-processing facilities and dark matter reactors huh, I want to set things up to be the next fallen empire :colbert:

Magil Zeal posted:

Decadence may eventually prevent them from building ships, but in general yes they'll reinforce and build new fleets.
That must be why. Never looked at the stat, what is decadence as a game status thing, and is it only a fallen empire thing, or can it happen to player empires?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Decadence is a thing for Awakened empires where they weaken over time.

"Submit and wait for it to be over" is a valid tactic when getting hosed by an AE.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

Looking real good.

Quite apart from anything else, this would make playing with multiple designs per hull size much more viable. You'll actually be able to keep track of how many of each you're building, without manually counting!

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
I ended up getting saved by a friendly fleet from the other side of the galaxy. I was just about rebuilt to a fleet of ~100k

I’ve been buying extra research from the research aliens
I’ve been upgrading all my star ports
Building buildings on every plot of land with a pop
Making sure my ships are as effective and upgraded as possible

Then the prethoryns come through and destroy everyone. Are these guys just the free ski yeti of this game?

Here’s a question for the Devs: why not an easy difficulty setting? It’s obvious reading this thread that a lot of beginners get overwhelmed and end up dropping the game.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Aethernet posted:

Having friends is incredibly important in the early game. You get friends by hating the same people, just like in real life. Look at who your prospective friend is rivalling, and rival them too.

This is pretty reliant on luck, though. Sometimes you're just surrounded by opposing ethics and none of them will ever like you no matter who you rival. Some government types seem to really dislike defensive pacts, too. My last galactic conquest started out as a friendly, peaceful game - but the only nearby empire that didn't outright hate me due to ethics conflicts was a Moral Democracy that refused to do any defensive pacts at all, no matter how hard I tried to curry their favor. Given that everyone around us were militaristic, xenophobic, or Slaving Despots, peace didn't have much of a chance.

So that's when the God-Emperor decided that since the universe would not allow his people to prosper in peace, his empire would not allow anyone to be powerful enough to threaten his flock. The slavers were broken apart, fragmented and vulnerable. The high-minded democrats who refused to aid their friends in times of need were forced to pay tribute at the barrel of a laser cannon. The militarists were reduced to helpless vassal states. The federation builders found themselves thwarted, as the God-Emperor regarded federations as an unacceptable threat. Finally, the galaxy begged for the peace the God-Emperor had long desired...but his people no longer needed it. Where peaceful coexistence had brought them to the brink of ruin, strength of arms had given the safety and security they had always wanted. In the end, half the galaxy was united under his fair yet unyielding rule, and no foe remained to threaten them. Even the coming of the Unbidden, which brought to mind tales of ancient and ultimate evils, only served to confirm the Emperor's divinity to all his new subjects, as his fleets single-handedly saved the galaxy from the interdimensional interlopers. :hist101:

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

Here’s a question for the Devs: why not an easy difficulty setting? It’s obvious reading this thread that a lot of beginners get overwhelmed and end up dropping the game.

This is what all those settings at the beginning of the game do basically. Want no fallen empires and the end game menace not to spawn? There's an option for that.

Also this is a Paradox game. They've gotten a lot better about accessibility and all that but only in comparison to things like Dominions.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

This is kind of a new thing with 1.9, honestly. I'm aiming to add an easy mode in 2.0.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

They haven’t, and I wouldn’t expect to hear about release until spring.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

Really? How quickly? I think I've seen them make a titan ship but outside of that they didn't really do much to increase their fleet strengrh, and once their fleets got wiped for being belligerent shitheads to the other empires they never rebuilt them until I conquered them

Also where are player titan ships huh, and why can't I at the highest tech tiers figure out them magical newfangled autonomous fabricators and agri-processing facilities and dark matter reactors huh, I want to set things up to be the next fallen empire :colbert:

That must be why. Never looked at the stat, what is decadence as a game status thing, and is it only a fallen empire thing, or can it happen to player empires?

CRAZY quick. Awakened empires are basically OP until they Decadence out. It's a Awakened Empire only penalty that causes their ability to fight and produce resources to seriously degrade over time. Thus, if they do take over the galaxy, they will eventually became fragile and weak.

The Cherryh patch tech system will include FE tech as super endgame stuff. Probably not Titans though. That'll be DLC at some point.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I managed to take down an Awoken Empire in my last game only because they had only 4 systems, and I managed to smash apart their fleet and then invade their primary two systems before they could rebuild.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Is the extent of what can be achieved in a war determined by what is set in the beginning or is it possible to actually achieve more?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hunt11 posted:

Is the extent of what can be achieved in a war determined by what is set in the beginning or is it possible to actually achieve more?

You can blow up infrastructure and terror bomb planets into extinction, but you can only, under the current system, claim things you said you wanted to when the war started.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/941268476542537733

Only on the first paragraph and

quote:

The fleet manager is a new interface accessible from the top bar, that as the name implies, allows you to overview and manage your navies. The fleet manager lists all fleets in your empire, filtering away small splinters that are in the process of being merged into another fleet. Each fleet has something we call a Fleet Template, which is a stored configuration of what that fleet *should* look like. Fleet Templates keep track of not just ship sizes (such as corvette or cruiser) but also of individual designs, so a Fleet Template might be set up to contain 10 Torpedo and 5 Interceptor-class corvettes alongside a mix of Picket and Gunboat style Destroyers, for example. Templates can be edited directly through the Fleet Manager without needing to build ships, by for example deciding to add another 5 Interceptor-class corvettes to the above listed fleet. Templates can be created directly without making a fleet first, and then reinforced to create the actual fleet. We are also planning to add template duplication and copy/paste functionality in order to be able to quickly set up a new fleet or make your fleets conform to a desired standard.

:vince:

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Dec 14, 2017

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

quote:

Home Bases
Also being introduced along with the Fleet Manager is the concept of Home Bases. Each fleet will be able to have a Home Base set, with any friendly upgraded Starbase being valid as a Home Base. This is where the fleet will return when the Return Home order is issued, gets slight priority for actions such as reinforcing (though the focus is on distributing production sensibly rather than always using the home base), and is intended to tie into other fleet mechanics planned for Cherryh that we are not quite ready to talk about yet.

Taking a stab here - fleets will be able to be setup on automated home defense (say, home base plus neighbouring systems).

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Great stuff. Next week is armies, finally heralding the end of the scourge of ground combat in its current form, hopefully!

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Wiz posted:

This is kind of a new thing with 1.9, honestly. I'm aiming to add an easy mode in 2.0.

I suppose the easiest way to do that would be an option for player advanced starts?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

ulmont posted:

And oh they will. I routinely see them with 400K fleets.

I had one awaken with around 170k fleet to my 145k (by far the largest around). I left it alone initially because I figured them being way the gently caress over the fleet cap would prevent them from getting much bigger and I could close the gap and beat them with ships refit to counter them. They were on the opposite side of the galaxy afterall and I couldn't reach them without wardeccing every major power.

12 years later they had around 320k fleet and had bulldozed a quarter of the map into signatories. The only way to possibly contest them was to exploit the AI by getting them to chase a small fleet across the galaxy while my big fleet hit a world with zero opposition for long enough to kill some star ports or whatever. Otherwise by intercepting the landing ships over and over again so they couldn't take my planets, keeping them stalemated and distracted so they couldn't easily bulldoze the rest of the galaxy. I decided not to do exploit to the point of sniping worlds for warscore while they chased a corvette juat to see if I could semi-legit beat it.

Well, I eventually closed the fleet gap about 60 years of guerilla warfare later and smashed the 320k blob thanks to a trap involving well placed fortress buffs/debuffs and fleets designed to counter their strengths. I figured decadence and having the massive loving fleet deployed constantly with a tiny fleet cap and only a few worlds must have bankrupted them, giving me time to assault them.

By the time my remaining 100k fleet was across the galaxy invading the first planet and the remains of their own fleet returned from emergency warp they had 160k fleet again. I took the victory to nab a planet from them and started rebuilding only to find they had a 430k fleet by the time the truce ended. Repeated the guerilla warfare cycle again while they curbstomped the contingency. Eventually won by matching their fleet size, killing the blob in a trap, and this time catching the returning fleet the moment it popped out of ftl. Annexing their core worlds ASAP finally ended it.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Dec 14, 2017

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

hooray fleets will be manageable.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The improvements being made to this game are amazing.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
In my headcanon, sentient organics who's being "served" by their benevolent AI masters are always happy in their habitats, as unhappy members go to live at the "human farm", and are never heard or seen again. They are very happy there, we assure their peers.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
I’m on my third game now after setting fallen empires to 1 and eliminating the pythgrotierians or whatever. I also took people’s advice and snatched up all the minerals I could, and expanded rapidly. I’m currently sitting pretty at roughly equivalent fleet power to my neighbors.

Thanks for the advice, this game is a lot more fun when you’re not forced into a tiny corner.

EDIT: there was a primitive race sitting on a real prime planet so I bombarded and invaded them. Now I have 2 pops of these randos, and I can’t seem to put any of my own pops on the world. What gives?

EDIT2: turns out I had to resettle from a nearby system.

thesurlyspringKAA fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 15, 2017

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

How you know you're hosed:

Bump into a very belligerent empire, crush your own economy to ramp up ship production and land some colonies nearby to hem them in.

Then when you're still recovering, you bump into another very belligerent empire who proceeds to declare war on you before you can get a defense pact going, and you lose all but 3 of your planets and-woops, here you are hemmed in by another larger empire on your other side so you can't even use the 10 year truce to recover. RIP

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

gently caress me running Cherryh is going to be a gamechanger :staredog: Wiz you guys are incredible, I've been a big fan of Stellaris from the start but the amount of work you're putting into the game is goddamn stellar.

Sorry.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
If I start a war against a power who is relatively the same strength as I am, how worried should I be of them striking at my empire as I strike at them?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Hunt11 posted:

If I start a war against a power who is relatively the same strength as I am, how worried should I be of them striking at my empire as I strike at them?

You should want them to do it, directly onto your fleet plus a starbase plus a military station with an FTL inhibitor. That's how you beat their fleet and then pick apart their empire at your leisure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Hunt11 posted:

In general, you shouldn't start a war if you are at parity. But depending on how early in the game it is - either lure them into a battle w/ one of your spaceports as your fleet comes in from behind, or make a rush for their starports as you're pumping out new ships yourself.

• Locked thread