Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
She saw clevin in the distance and her mind refocused. ReClevined if you were to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Bobulus posted:

So, she's just totally forgotten about the professor guy already, huh?

Much like dogs and young children, Allison lacks object permanence

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
She's definitely saying "I'm soyyy", nice font you got there.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Bobulus posted:

So, she's just totally forgotten about the professor guy already, huh?

The professor is Patrick age 55, all times she saw him IRL were an illusion

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

sweeperbravo posted:

The professor is Patrick age 55, all times she saw him IRL were an illusion

That's actually a plausible development.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
This is your routine reminder that Patrick is trying to figure out how to build a time machine.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Patrick being Gurwara would require either illusion powers or some seriously uncomfortable explanations for why Old Patrick looks less like a gangly white guy and more like, well, an extremely 'swarthy foreigner of inscrutable intent' type stock character. I can't remember if Guwara ever wore a fez, but every time I picture him one appears because he looks exactly like an off-brand Tintin character, which is not good.
I'd find it less annoying if there were more characters of color and foreigners in this comic but as it is he stands out; another time that stood out was the 'superhumans around the world!' sequence where every region got its own stereotypical style of character.

The fact that Gurwara, despite this, has a character design more engaging than anything else in this goddamn Clevscape is really quite damning.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Joe Slowboat posted:

Patrick being Gurwara would require either illusion powers or some seriously uncomfortable explanations for why Old Patrick looks less like a gangly white guy and more like, well, an extremely 'swarthy foreigner of inscrutable intent' type stock character. I can't remember if Guwara ever wore a fez, but every time I picture him one appears because he looks exactly like an off-brand Tintin character, which is not good.
I'd find it less annoying if there were more characters of color and foreigners in this comic but as it is he stands out; another time that stood out was the 'superhumans around the world!' sequence where every region got its own stereotypical style of character.

The fact that Gurwara, despite this, has a character design more engaging than anything else in this goddamn Clevscape is really quite damning.

Don't forget the segment in India where someone is treated as a god while the woman is on the run for the crime of saying he's biodynamic like the others with powers.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Joe Slowboat posted:

Trust the creators. They know what they're doing.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Zerilan posted:

Don't forget the segment in India where someone is treated as a god while the woman is on the run for the crime of saying he's biodynamic like the others with powers.

i think we're remembering that bit differently

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Zerilan posted:

Weren't his super powers turning blue so he looked like a literal hindu god or something? What a coincidence.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Nuebot posted:

Weren't his super powers turning blue so he looked like a literal hindu god or something? What a coincidence.

Also an obvious Ganesh-mimicking gangster, with an elephant head.
Which, like... run with it, say biodynamism is fundamentally a wild talents-style psychic phenomenon (Alison's is, I think, pretty explicitly a biopsychic field or some nonsense) and as a result tends to be shaped by the culture you're from. American mass culture says "Superman" and Indian mass culture says "Televised epic version of Ram."
Or the Ganeshter is capable of limited shapeshifting and his response to that was 'Sweet, I'm Ganesh now I guess.' Which would make him a real dick, but, a fun one. He could even consider himself an avatar of Ganesh, which is disproven by the fact that he's a dick. THAT could be an interesting take on the concept, rather than 'Western science proves your religion is fake and dumb.'

Even worse for me is the fact that the Chinese biodynamics are all Extremely Modern Yellow Peril suited Communist Party Higher-Up types who apparently run their entire society as the 'Ministry of Harmony' or something sufficiently 'Scary, Collectivist East Asians!'
It's bad writing.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
It basically had the opposite tone as feral's monologue too, since she stated that India had attached some religious significance to biodynamic individuals and that she was referred to by a word for demon but wasn't treated negatively over it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm the guy with the now shattered collarbone.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Joe Slowboat posted:

Which, like... run with it, say biodynamism is fundamentally a wild talents-style psychic phenomenon (Alison's is, I think, pretty explicitly a biopsychic field or some nonsense) and as a result tends to be shaped by the culture you're from. American mass culture says "Superman" and Indian mass culture says "Televised epic version of Ram."

Bringing up Wild Talents makes me remember how little effort it takes to apply a few half-baked thoughts to a superhero setting, and make make it entertaining enough to base a whole RPG line on, and yet SFP somehow manages to fumble that

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm the guy with the now shattered collarbone.

What the

No you don't put the shoulder stock behind your shoulder

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

then why would you call it a shoulder stock?!

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
At least they aren't throwing whole cartridges

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Joe Slowboat posted:

Even worse for me is the fact that the Chinese biodynamics are all Extremely Modern Yellow Peril suited Communist Party Higher-Up types who apparently run their entire society as the 'Ministry of Harmony' or something sufficiently 'Scary, Collectivist East Asians!'
The Greater East Asian Clevin Prosperity Sphere

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

post the loving comic when it's out, you useless shits

clev femevin proagevin shouldn't get page hits
Once again I'm reminded on how interesting this story could be if the writer knew how to use his plot elements and characters worth a drat. Right here we have part of an answer as to why Patrick even cares about this whole conspiracy, he's part of that group of kids who got their powers early but unlike the others he survived the culling. As for why it's simple, his power is so discrete given his age and possibly his community (what kid doesn't talk to their pet) that at best he came across as an uncannily observant child. Contrast this to the kid who is a walking Dynamo, or even the girl who entered into a hospital one day and suddenly multiple people with Cancer are in complete remissions and you understand how those types got picked off.

But this page just feels like it glosses over any realization that could come from realizing that Patrick has been reading minds since he was 4 years old. Doesn't this help inform why he seems to have a lack of identity? Because during the time he would have been forming that he lacked the mental boundary that all humans have. Can't we see how his home life was instead of just him playing with his dog? We're jumping right back to Tron-land but there was something interesting that could have happened here instead of a panel of existential reflection.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

have you considered: clevin

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I mean, Clevin is the main character when do we get back to him and his vague job.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i think we're remembering that bit differently

Wait I just realized
The bullets do the blue warping effect when they go through her clothes, including the end of her scarf
Then she falls out of her clothes, but clearly she can warp them through solid material
So logically she shouldn't have ended up naked
eish

EDIT no it's worse than that, the scarf ends up with holes, so she can't warp them through her clothes, but the scarf still has the blue warp effect??? This art is inconsistent I want my money back

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 16, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Joe Slowboat posted:

Wait I just realized
The bullets do the blue warping effect when they go through her clothes, including the end of her scarf
Then she falls out of her clothes, but clearly she can warp them through solid material
So logically she shouldn't have ended up naked
eish

It's so weird because nudity in this comic stuck out like a sore thumb

The comic is too Clevin for it to fit so seeing them go out of their way to include it in this one out of the way moment is strange

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame lame lame lame pandering bullshit :jerkbag:

Wouldn't it have been more interesting if he read the bully's mind and went "oh hey no wonder you're so hosed up" or better yet, saw BOTH their perspectives and brokered some kind of peace, backgrounding his eventual empire of :jerkbag:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

quote:

For me, it began with Robert Paglino.

At the age of eight, he was my best and only friend. We were fellow outcasts, bound by complementary misfortune. Mine was developmental. His was genetic: an uncontrolled genotype that left him predisposed to nearsightedness, acne, and (as it later turned out) a susceptibility to narcotics. His parents had never had him optimized. Those few TwenCen relics who still believed in God also held that one shouldn't try to improve upon His handiwork. So although both of us could have been repaired, only one of us had been.

I arrived at the playground to find Pag the center of attention for some half-dozen kids, those lucky few in front punching him in the head, the others making do with taunts of mongrel and polly while waiting their turn. I watched him raise his arms, almost hesitantly, to ward off the worst of the blows. I could see into his head better than I could see into my own; he was scared that his attackers might think those hands were coming up to hit back, that they'd read it as an act of defiance and hurt him even more. Even then, at the tender age of eight and with half my mind gone, I was becoming a superlative observer.

But I didn't know what to do.

I hadn't seen much of Pag lately. I was pretty sure he'd been avoiding me. Still, when your best friend's in trouble you help out, right? Even if the odds are impossible—and how many eight-year-olds would go up against six bigger kids for a sandbox buddy?—at least you call for backup. Flag a sentry. Something.

I just stood there. I didn't even especially want to help him.

That didn't make sense. Even if he hadn't been my best friend, I should at least have empathized. I'd suffered less than Pag in the way of overt violence; my seizures tended to keep the other kids at a distance, scared them even as they incapacitated me. Still. I was no stranger to the taunts and insults, or the foot that appears from nowhere to trip you up en route from A to B. I knew how that felt.

Or I had, once.

But that part of me had been cut out along with the bad wiring. I was still working up the algorithms to get it back, still learning by observation. Pack animals always tear apart the weaklings in their midst. Every child knows that much instinctively. Maybe I should just let that process unfold, maybe I shouldn't try to mess with nature. Then again, Pag's parents hadn't messed with nature, and look what it got them: a son curled up in the dirt while a bunch of engineered superboys kicked in his ribs.

In the end, propaganda worked where empathy failed. Back then I didn't so much think as observe, didn't deduce so much as remember—and what I remembered was a thousand inspirational stories lauding anyone who ever stuck up for the underdog.

So I picked up a rock the size of my fist and hit two of Pag's assailants across the backs of their heads before anyone even knew I was in the game.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Flesh Forge posted:

oh my god, haha. it still manages to surprise me, somehow

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

This doesn't even have anything to do with him reading minds! Patrick, like Clevin, is cursed by the world for being too nice. Unlike Clevin, who perseveres despite persecution, Patrick has succumbed to cynicism.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I don't recognize this and don't especially agree with where it goes about tiny children being all libertarian and poo poo but at least it goes somewhere bravely :shrug:

Don't get me wrong, I like the way it's written and it's a cool vignette, I just blinked pretty hard at that one line about pack animals and little kids

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 19, 2017

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Flesh Forge posted:

Wouldn't it have been more interesting if he read the bully's mind and went "oh hey no wonder you're so hosed up" or better yet, saw BOTH their perspectives and brokered some kind of peace, backgrounding his eventual empire of :jerkbag:

What perspective, every one knows childhood bullies are one dimensional sociopaths.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

What insights await us beyond the door marked DR MESS

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Also, god that anime tears thing sucks rear end

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Undimmed by anime tears

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Flesh Forge posted:

It looks like he kind of just smeared a ketchup packet on his face.

Your activities are so poorly conveyed

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Flesh Forge posted:

I don't recognize this

It's an excerpt from the novel Blindsight and while flawed im upset its being posted in the same thread as SFP

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Flesh Forge posted:

I don't recognize this and don't especially agree with where it goes about tiny children being all libertarian and poo poo but at least it goes somewhere bravely :shrug:

Don't get me wrong, I like the way it's written and it's a cool vignette, I just blinked pretty hard at that one line about pack animals and little kids

It's the recalled thought processes of a child that's had a lot of brain surgery and has admitted in the story that he wasn't really back up to speed on the whole 'thinking' part. It's also not really the 'least conventional' bit of reasoning he does in the whole story.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

child with hosed up brain overreacts in playground situation

compare portrayals

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

i wonder what the comment section has to say

quote:

Thankfully the glorious American justice system means the one rear end in a top hat who's using his position of societal power and cultural privilege to harass someone with all the lifelong damaging effects of systematically-accepted-bullying WILL be punished rather than the one jumping in her defense, right?

Right?

Right?

...right?

oh okay never mind

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Murder all bullies, I say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

How do you draw blood with a toy truck?