Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hansen85
Nov 11, 2009
I'd much rather they do a CG Leia than recast Carrie. They won't do either though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Second viewing made a very thing click, except for floating Leia.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, uncarrie valley would be way preferable to re-casting but I can see why they don't want CGI Leia and I don't want CGI either.

I'd say I don't envy being the dude who has to write Star Wars out of that corner but then I realise he's getting millions and millions of dollars so I volunteer.

Comrade Kirov
Sep 12, 2012

Also, did anyone just laugh when Rose just loving T-boned Fin at full velocity and after a crash that should most likely resulted in both of them dying since they were flying in hover-rust she just tearfully says.

'We won't win it by dying, but by saving ones we care about'

As in the background the 'MINIATURIZED DEATH STAR CANNON' just fires into the Rebel base with Carrie Fisher and the rest of the rebels she cared about?

I honestly burst out in laughter since I thought it was a very 'Always Sunny' moment, and kinda hoped everyone inside that bunker was now dead.

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice
Was there ever any point where they considered having the same director for the whole sequel trilogy? I'm not sure we'll end up with anything cohesive by the end.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Zoran posted:

For all the people thrilled that Rey is no one in particular: I get the sentiment that it's cool to just pass on the Jedi legacy to anyone, and you don’t have to have special bloodlines or anything. But how in the world is her parents being irrelevant compatible with the existing narrative? Basically the only thing Rey learns about herself in TFA is that she is someone very special—and everyone around her believes that, too. She originally thinks she is just a worthless nobody and only wants to go home. But Han practically decides to adopt her, Maz Kanata is super excited about Luke's lightsaber calling to her, and Kylo is outraged at hearing that some mysterious girl happened to be seen with BB-8, even when he knows nothing else about her. She has visions of Luke's past and has dreamed for years about the island where he lives.

And so the resolution to this is to just drop all the mystery threads and say gently caress it? There's no new context with which to understand her abandonment, there's no one in particular who's responsible for her hardscrabble life, no one for her to rage at and maybe eventually forgive?

The botched joke in TFA is that Rey’s true destiny is in her talent as a mechanic - but the dark side slowly overwhelms her.

Because she is a powerful mutant, everyone around Rey is handing her swords and pressuring her to kill for their cause. Rey’s arc is one of giving in to temptation, because of her pathological need for validation, acceptance, etc. The conviction that her parents had some secret plan for her is an aspect of that.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Comrade Kirov posted:

Also, did anyone just laugh when Rose just loving T-boned Fin at full velocity and after a crash that should most likely resulted in both of them dying since they were flying in hover-rust she just tearfully says.

As in the background the 'MINIATURIZED DEATH STAR CANNON' just fires into the Rebel base with Carrie Fisher and the rest of the rebels she cared about?

I honestly burst out in laughter since I thought it was a very 'Always Sunny' moment, and kinda hoped everyone inside that bunker was now dead.

Sacrificing the entirety of what's left of the rebellion to hook up with a dude who is way into another girl who might just go and hook up with the school shooter. Destroying the galaxy for the chance of being the "eh, you'll do".

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Just saw it in 4dx, it was a fun carnival ride :)

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
How you don't end TLJ with Leia walking out to confront Kylo to buy time (and getting killed in the process) I will never know. Plus the "episode" Star Wars movies are about Luke, its the last one he needs to die in - Ben Solo needs to die in that one as well. The galaxy finally rid of the Skywalkers.

Wank fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 14, 2017

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
This movie finally made me tired of Star Wars. It was far too long and contrived. Too many focal characters who sit around doing nothing and wait they turn. I really liked the events on the island and how the relationship between Kylo and Rey developed. I thought the movie was going to break some new ground when Kylo killed Snoke but then they just backtracked everything. Kylo is just a monster after all, Rey is no longer conflicted and Luke doesn't think jedi are such a bad idea anymore. None of the other characters really do anything meaningful.

And my god, the humor was terrible (maybe except the jokes on the island I guess). The worst "funny" part was probably the scene with Maz. It was just jarring.

Neither Kylo nor Luke told Rey the truth about what happened in that hut though. Luke tried to molest Kylo. Seriously, it was the first thing I thought of when they showed him weirdly standing above sleeping Kylo in the middle of the night. Why did he even go to confront him in the middle of the night? Luke is a weird monk/priest figure without a woman in his life so of course he got tempted by his young disciple. Hell, it even fits with the current plague of sex scandals. Kylo just later internalized it as them crossing "lightsabers".

So I guess the main twist of the movie is that the beloved hero Luke Skywalker is a sex pervert. It gives a sinister vibe to him telling Kylo Ren "See you around, kiddo" at the end. He's a force ghost now so he can go anywhere, do anything and there's nothing you can do about it. I hate Star Wars now.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Captain Jesus posted:

This movie finally made me tired of Star Wars. It was far too long and contrived. Too many focal characters who sit around doing nothing and wait they turn. I really liked the events on the island and how the relationship between Kylo and Rey developed. I thought the movie was going to break some new ground when Kylo killed Snoke but then they just backtracked everything. Kylo is just a monster after all, Rey is no longer conflicted and Luke doesn't think jedi are such a bad idea anymore. None of the other characters really do anything meaningful.

And my god, the humor was terrible (maybe except the jokes on the island I guess). The worst "funny" part was probably the scene with Maz. It was just jarring.

Neither Kylo nor Luke told Rey the truth about what happened in that hut though. Luke tried to molest Kylo. Seriously, it was the first thing I thought of when they showed him weirdly standing above sleeping Kylo in the middle of the night. Why did he even go to confront him in the middle of the night? Luke is a weird monk/priest figure without a woman in his life so of course he got tempted by his young disciple. Hell, it even fits with the current plague of sex scandals. Kylo just later internalized it as them crossing "lightsabers".

So I guess the main twist of the movie is that the beloved hero Luke Skywalker is a sex pervert. It gives a sinister vibe to him telling Kylo Ren "See you around, kiddo" at the end. He's a force ghost now so he can go anywhere, do anything and there's nothing you can do about it. I hate Star Wars now.

Show me on the action figure where lucas molested you

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Captain Jesus posted:

Boy if this turns into the received wisdom I really will hate these Star Wars

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Captain Jesus posted:

ground floor of the CineD critical consensus right here :eyepop:

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
Clickbait contributors are surely reading this thread. It's just a matter of time before they break the story.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Captain Jesus posted:

hell loving yes

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

CherryCat posted:

Was there ever any point where they considered having the same director for the whole sequel trilogy? I'm not sure we'll end up with anything cohesive by the end.

No, though I believe that originally Johnson was supposed to write the two sequels, then it changed to just outline the final part for Colin Trevorrow to write.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Jedi Master Luke Skywalker, Troll God of the Universe

Lonkface
Jan 22, 2016

All that glitters is not gold.

DrVenkman posted:

No, though I believe that originally Johnson was supposed to write the two sequels, then it changed to just outline the final part for Colin Trevorrow to write.

After seeing TLJ, I'm glad he's not involved in writing the finale.

I ended up feeling disappointed by the end result. There's so many good things within the movie but somehow the whole thing ends up as a mess. Too many characters, too much trying to be different and crushing viewers expectations, hype and theories. TFA worked better as a movie, despite not being particularly good.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Because, much like the ancient Jedi scripture, a fancy lineage is just not something Rey needs.

But Rey took the books with her.

Like, this is a thing that I don't get about the film.

"Rey doesn't need the books, she'll be a better Jedi without them." Okay, great! Makes sense given how the Jedi turned out with the prequels.

But then Rey has the books at the end, stowed away on the Falcon, which utterly changes Yoda's 'she already has what she needs' comment.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Milky Moor posted:

"Rey doesn't need the books, she'll be a better Jedi without them." Okay, great! Makes sense given how the Jedi turned out with the prequels.

But then Rey has the books at the end, stowed away on the Falcon, which utterly changes Yoda's 'she already has what she needs' comment.
On a practical level, the fact that the Jedi may be ending as a group that exists doesn't mean that literally everything they ever did or wrote is stupid bullshit that should be literally erased. The Greek city-states aren't around as political entities any more but we don't actively destroy records of ancient Greek thought.

On a greater level I imagine this is splitting the difference between "embracing the new" and "having a heroic book-burning scene in your movie"

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Nessus posted:

On a practical level, the fact that the Jedi may be ending as a group that exists doesn't mean that literally everything they ever did or wrote is stupid bullshit that should be literally erased. The Greek city-states aren't around as political entities any more but we don't actively destroy records of ancient Greek thought.

On a greater level I imagine this is splitting the difference between "embracing the new" and "having a heroic book-burning scene in your movie"

Yeah. It's just a bit weird. I certainly get why Luke wants to save the texts because he's still, on some level, that kid in love with the heroic Jedi and Yoda is the guy who basically allowed Sidious to rise to power, so, it makes sense.

It just feels like the film is building to that first sentence and that Rey will be a Jedi in name only. I guess the books will make it more apparent that the prequel-era Jedi had fallen far from their original state and Rey will try to resurrect that type of Jedi. And then 'but the Jedi are supposed to be prideful, blind morons' won't be a controversial statement about the prequels anymore. :v:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Comrade Kirov posted:

I think the point was that Finn would've done jack poo poo since he was not Laura Dern piloting a lightspeed cruiser and not even Randy Quaid with a powerful missile, but a crazy man in a weaponless skimmer that was in the process of melting. The movie had a lot of bad ideas from Finn and Poe backfiring, so it was about the time for someone to intervene.

also it turned out to be way less than a mini death star since it only breached the door instead of blowing the mountain

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
I didn't realised the book things. I thought Yoda was there originally to finish off what should have been the most obvious arc in the story - Luke loses faith in his religion, learns to overcome his own doubts and by restoring his own literal and metaphorical faith returns hope to the galaxy.

Actually he was just there to punk Luke into not realising the books has been stolen? Amusing but dumb.

I liked the Luke and Rey bits, but thinking it through it doesn't seem to follow properly. Luke tells Rey he is going to reveal why the Jedi should end, kinda dance arounds it before revealing he was really just angry at his own personal failure, then without any relevation just switches to thinking, "actually they're alright, ignore me." Did I miss the key part which made him decide to backtrack on several decades of imposed exile and denouncement of his religion, or did it just kind of happen?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Milky Moor posted:

Yeah. It's just a bit weird. I certainly get why Luke wants to save the texts because he's still, on some level, that kid in love with the heroic Jedi and Yoda is the guy who basically allowed Sidious to rise to power, so, it makes sense.

It just feels like the film is building to that first sentence and that Rey will be a Jedi in name only. I guess the books will make it more apparent that the prequel-era Jedi had fallen far from their original state and Rey will try to resurrect that type of Jedi. And then 'but the Jedi are supposed to be prideful, blind morons' won't be a controversial statement about the prequels anymore. :v:
If he destroys the history of the Jedi then he removes the possibility that people can learn from the mistakes of the Jedi. Luke may have a massive despair boner, being a baby boomer, but the nine hundred year fiend smokin' dagobah green probably knew better on that much, at least.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Where is Qui Gon Gin force ghost to tell people how to not gently caress up poo poo royally

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Qui Gon went to Force Hell.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The moral of star wars, is to put star wars into the garbage can

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Nessus posted:

If he destroys the history of the Jedi then he removes the possibility that people can learn from the mistakes of the Jedi. Luke may have a massive despair boner, being a baby boomer, but the nine hundred year fiend smokin' dagobah green probably knew better on that much, at least.

But Luke doesn't actually want to burn the books. He's just sulking. The moment the tree lights up, he tries to run in and get them.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Milky Moor posted:

It's pretty funny when a movie retcons itself needlessly.

I didn't notice the books on the falcon for some reason (it was a long movie) but I thought that the burning of the books was a cool scene and it kept with the whole 'rey is an unwitting instrument of the force' thing that was kind of implied in TFA. But then I guess this movie kind of wants to leave all the options open all the time so, whatever.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yoda trolling Luke and later Luke trolling Kylo was great.

"Real page-turners, aren't they? :laugh:"

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
Well I have to say I was rather disappointed, so much in the movie really felt pointless, much like the book burning/kidnapping.

So for the positives.
-I really liked every scene where Rey and Kylo were interacting, especially the fight with the red guard.
-Just like everyone else I loved the look and feel of the cruiser suicide jump.
-Luke and Leia were great.
-The look of everything on the salt world.
-I actually liked seeing yoda there, even if him controlling the weather seemed, odd.
-I liked the look of the bombers at the start, especially their ball turrets.
-I actually thought snoke was cool (so it was disappointing to see him killed)

What I didn't like
-Almost an entire movie based around chasing a ship in space, and I get The New Order is incompetent, but really nobody suggested jumping ahead of the Resistance ships and doing the old hammer and anvil?
-The weapons from Snokes ship arcing in loving space, how and why.
-Phasma, she was there to sell toys, also I might be remembering wrong but when Fin and Rose were about to be beheaded wasn't Phasma standing near them? Then after the suicide jump she was down a hallway with a squad of Stormtroopers? Huh?
-Everything about the casino world.
-Leia pulling herself back into the ship.
-Rey is apparently a Master Jedi with basically no training and super duper awesome at everything and the plot armour is so thick I could reach out and touch it in the cinema.
-I love the OT music, I really do but do we have to heart it constantly over every single slight hint of emotion?
-Why didn't the new Admiral lady tell Poe her plan? There didn't seem a single reason to just explain it to him when he was asking what the plan was.
-Rey and Poe going on what was basically a suicide attack against the battering ram, then suddenly Poe gets skittish.
-I don't understand why this seemingly evil empire wannabe army doesn't just send what must be hundreds/thousands of fighters and bombers it has at its disposal to destroy the cruiser instead of this stupid chase in space.
The entire thing felt like Star Wars, a Disney production.

Writing that all out it probably seems like i'm just a complainer but, yea it was just really disappointing for me, but hey if you liked it more power to you.
e; also the comedy, please stop it.

Tarantula fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 14, 2017

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

a lot of the humour in the movie is bad marvel-style quips but Luke casually milking an alien and Chewbacca trying to eat a roasted porg in front of terrified porgs are absolute gold

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Tarantula posted:

-Why didn't the new Admiral lady tell Poe her plan? There didn't seem a single reason to just explain it to him when he was asking what the plan was.

Because if she had told him they were cloaked, he wouldn't have gone through with his coup. It's backwards plotting. For example, when Poe is making a huge deal on the bridge about them not having shields or weapons, why doesn't she say they have cloaking devices, and then he just needs to trust her (or that she's just the Admiral and he needs to follow orders). Poe can even go 'ships that small don't have cloaking devices, she's lying to you all!' and then have his coup ANYWAY, and then the cloaking fields don't come out of left field in the same scene they're disclosed by the hacker. It'd more neatly stress the point about trust and the stuff about hotheaded plans not always being the best idea.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 15, 2017

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

fatherboxx posted:

a lot of the humour in the movie is bad marvel-style quips but Luke casually milking an alien and Chewbacca trying to eat a roasted porg in front of terrified porgs are absolute gold

These and I genuinely laughed hard at the landing iron-ship.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Tarantula posted:

What I didn't like

-Rey is apparently a Master Jedi with basically no training and super duper awesome at everything and the plot armour is so thick I could reach out and touch it in the cinema.
I'm with you on all the other things, but I thought Rey was pretty much terrible at everything to do with being a Jedi here. As Luke says, she immediately just goes along with the whole dark side mirror hole thing mentally, she later goes down there and doesn't get what she wanted, she has zero idea Snoke enabled the whole two-way telepathy thing and gets entirely taken in by him sending her a vision of Kylo turning, accidentally cuts off that rock bit when she's first training with a lightsaber, has zero ability to fight Snoke, can't hide in her mind where Luke is...

She only really does three things right; she beats Luke (who wasn't really fighting to win), lifts the rocks at the end (even she downplays that one) and the one time I DID think "ok, this is a bit much", which is the whole Royal Guard fight. I was expecting Kylo to be doing the heavy lifting there, and I think the bit where she throws the lightsaber and saves him would've worked a lot better if it'd been the other way around, not just plot armour wise but also just... plot wise.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.
Gotta love the insane incoherent hermit Luke living with Deep Ones and fondling alien titties, trying to be both the reform iconoclast and the last jedi at the same time and loving it up all the time.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
She was barely 1v1 the guards while Ben 3v1, she's clearly shown inferior at combat

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

And she starts off with a bunch of combat training already from surviving on Jakku. She was never some whiny podunk farmer.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.
Also Rey's completely sensible choice of "do not tell this Jedi Master I'm having telepathic discussions with the evil traitor Jedi who, for all I know, is responsible for Luke being here in the first place and who also killed my surrogate/his own father who happened to be Luke's best buddy"

But then again, that part is really nothing new in Star Wars. It's a film series about navel-gazing powertripping weirdos loving things up for everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Episode 9 better have some god drat Lando.

• Locked thread