Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Turin Turambar posted:

So this is how memes form.... with the telephone game. People exaggerates, or add stuff or misremember something and in the end you have something totally different.

I doubt a lot there are parts they don't know how rework because they have forgotten about it. It would be as easy as reading the code again. Because they have the source code! I think this meme comes from one of them saying years ago he had forgotten about how X worked, but that just means he couldn't answer a doubt about the game directly from memory, that's it.

Hell, they just reworked the battles into real time.

Working as intended. If you don't like big crits you have no soul.

the guy said he didn't know how morale worked any more so they wouldn't be changing it. also lol at "just look at the source then it will all make sense"

Sloppy Milkshake fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 13, 2017

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

It would be as easy as reading the code again. Because they have the source code!

I've worked with more than a few developers who couldn't read their own source more than a day after they wrote it.

Even good developers have difficulty reading old code sometimes.

I've coded for SS13 on and off over the years, and I couldn't begin to tell you the intricacies of 90 percent of the game because the codebase is a decades worth of ritual and prayer to the machine spirits that they may continue to provide 2d farting spacemen in a relatively lag free environment.

It's not that unbelievable for Dominions devs to not know how morale works.

ProfFrink
Nov 7, 2007

"Stun" may be a bit of a misnomer.
Just signed up on brainwrinke.
Looking forward to jumping into a game!

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

ProfFrink posted:

Just signed up on brainwrinke.
Looking forward to jumping into a game!

Just done the same. I look forward to what little knowledge I gained from playing Dom 4 for nearly 40 hours being demonstrated to be literally nothing in the face of goon strats.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Conot posted:

goon strats.

You're funny sir.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Secret winning strat: play until everyone else goes AI.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Magil Zeal posted:

Secret winning strat: play until everyone else goes AI.

Pro tip: winning this game is actually losing. This means you actually stayed past the mid game into the tedious bullshit of end game. And lol, just lol, if you do that

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Slaan posted:

Pro tip: winning this game is actually losing. This means you actually stayed past the mid game into the tedious bullshit of end game. And lol, just lol, if you do that

But then how will I ever see the "A Winner Is You" message at the end?

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Magil Zeal posted:

But then how will I ever see the "A Winner Is You" message at the end?

Turn 5 cataclysm and Snek vs AI usually does the trick.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Turn 5 cataclysm and Snek vs AI usually does the trick.

But the winning-message is also a secret "You die horribly"-message, so you still lose.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
The only way to win..., etc

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

Slaan posted:

The only way to win...

is to get into modding instead of playing.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Slaan posted:

lol if you dont go for the turn 25 win by thrones or something. the late game is rear end thats why you kill everyone before it happens

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Signed up as Abysia.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

is decrepus the most prolific dominions.exe fanart producer? i think this might be case

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZzMVsJyqWI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3pTKbd8gvo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJcknLatt50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGf_dqPOCzw

lol @ anyone playing a dominions game I'm not in

Decrepus fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 14, 2017

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Signed up for Brainwinkle.
If I remember right, my only ever win in Dom happened when the largest two powers both went AI, and I was in the best position to gobble them up by sheer luck. Let's hope I can get a repeat performance!

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Turin Turambar posted:

So this is how memes form.... with the telephone game. People exaggerates, or add stuff or misremember something and in the end you have something totally different.

I doubt a lot there are parts they don't know how rework because they have forgotten about it. It would be as easy as reading the code again. Because they have the source code! I think this meme comes from one of them saying years ago he had forgotten about how X worked, but that just means he couldn't answer a doubt about the game directly from memory, that's it.

Hell, they just reworked the battles into real time.

Working as intended. If you don't like big crits you have no soul.

the real dominions misinformation meme would be the animals and sieges one that i still cant get straight and already semi regret bringign up

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
There are parts of my map gen that I get horrified thinking about reworking, and I made that program this year. Now consider that Dominions is over fifteen years old. There's gonna be a ton of poo poo that would be easier to re-write from scratch than to figure out and modify.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style

These are amazing but this one actually made me lol

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

is this a goddamn loss edit?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Not enough vampires in the colony of Ulm, 2/10

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
Illwinter hosed things up with this patch so undead now eat things and everyone else decided to go on a diet.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Amuys posted:

Illwinter hosed things up with this patch so undead now eat things and everyone else decided to go on a diet.

lol, I wonder if units with gluttony give you supply now or something dumb.

Dr. Gibletron
Oct 27, 2010
lol, new update scheduled for 4:20

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Amuys posted:

In addition to that, some more stuff from the update:

quote:

Man, Tower of Avalon now gets Chorus Communion spells, but mainly this update fixes a lot of bugs and improves performance of the battle replays. There are also some new features and fixes for modders.

General
New chorus communions spells for Man
Defence and increased range on walls

Half Dead bless didn't work
Battle performance improvements
Particles speed up more
--borderless to start up in borderless fullscreen mode
Game remembers fullscreen type for next startup
Fixed dominion spread info for disciples
Limping units risk getting crippled (not dying) on long marches
Lemuria can create Shade Beasts under water too
Commanders got 1 point too powerful fire shield bless
Prevent dead commanders from showing up in next commander
Chest wound printed in strength info
Trinity god gets praised properly
Trinity god gets 3 random names
Small random delay at start of battle for squads & commanders
Battle log fix for weapons with 2 attacks
Reduced memory consumption
Fix mod loading memory leak
Upgraded protection for some artifact shields
Income box greys out resources and recruitment when used
Early Agartha AI don't choose cold scales
Fix for undying
Cu Chulainn can go berserk even though he is mounted
New color for Ark effect
Curse of Stones now slows movement and encumbers flying and melee too
Grow Fortress can grow kelp forts under water
Repeat last order key changed r -> x
Can scroll commanders in choose commander box
Mirror of Earths Memories fixed
New icons for blood bond, affliction resistance, etc.
New unit: Bogarusian Scout with winter move
Oceania pretender rebate fixed
Misbred had random recruitment cost
More names for Ur & Uruk
Merc fix
Event fixes
Stat fixes
New tip
Typos fixed

Modding
Modding: montags acceptable for more commands (e.g. batstartsum)
New spell mod commands: #casttime, #godpathspell
New monster mod commands: #domimmortal, #snow, #swimming
Modding a weapon could result in a spell getting the name "end"
Modding: forest & mountain foreign recruits displayed properly
Mod command #supply was capped at 100
More Mod fixes
Element- & Sorcery range boosts now printed in site info

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Turin Turambar posted:

Can scroll commanders in choose commander box

:yeah:

MF_James
May 8, 2008

wtf are chorus communion spells?

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

MF_James posted:

wtf are chorus communion spells?

The same as communion but nature path and Man specific.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Amuys posted:

The same as communion but nature path and Man specific.

Not exactly!

I just read Zonk saying this "Looks like Man communions kick unconscious slaves out, unlike Blood/Astral. It's in the spell desc."

That's an interesting pro/con: you won't kill your mage slaves, but you can't use their vital force to cast more spells, exploiting regeneration blesses/spells or whatever.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

Not exactly!

I just read Zonk saying this "Looks like Man communions kick unconscious slaves out, unlike Blood/Astral. It's in the spell desc."

That's an interesting pro/con: you won't kill your mage slaves, but you can't use their vital force to cast more spells, exploiting regeneration blesses/spells or whatever.

All of your fort wizards are sacred and also they have spell singing which is 1/2 fatigue. It's very good

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.
So man is now another mass thunderstrike communion nation? That might actually make them good.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Applebee123 posted:

So man is now another mass thunderstrike communion nation? That might actually make them good.
Take the Morrigna with blood, and twiceborned hellpower bomb people with the ones that take 25 priest turns to bring back bing bong very simple.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Just signed up for my first MP game. I hope to lose in an amusing way, at least.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
How many negative mage levels do the trinity gods get when apart?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Torrannor posted:

Halved rounded down, I believe.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Torrannor posted:

Just quickly tested it and it looks like its -1 to every path for each member of the trinity that isn't there, so if totally split up -2, if 2 of them are together -1, if all 3 are together then they're at full path.

e: I should clarify that it calculates by member. If you send one of them off alone he'll get -2 while the two who stick together will get -1

Arianya fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 16, 2017

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
I've opened up a Late Age Newbie game here if anyone would like to join:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3498140&pagenumber=283#post479400716

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

lmao has started!

Slightly under 12 hours to host at time of writing, and one turn outstanding, just a headsup since I don't think the start was ever announced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

uguu posted:

We've indeed started.

Slanderous.
Also if you're not just pressing f5 on brainwrinkle all the time, you should get out.