Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The Turnbull government has appointed an academic who has argued that recognising religious freedom should include acceptance of a limited form of sharia law to the Ruddock review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
N
O
I
C
E

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

bowmore posted:

so the net is no longer neutral

That shithead Ajit Pai got his wish. Fuckers.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Will Australia also change our internet to follow the Americanz?

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Royal commission into child sexual abuse by religious institutions has handed their report to the GG.
It's loving dark and damming.

Obviously content warning, sexual abuse.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-14/royal-commission-child-sex-abuse-case-studies/9250972?pfmredir=sm&sf176250280=1

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Anidav posted:

Will Australia also change our internet to follow the Americanz?

They'll try, but they'll have a far harder time of it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

bowmore posted:

so the net is no longer neutral

It was already full of nazis.

You Am I posted:

Fast and Furious series is hugely popular, yet also shite.

The gently caress?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Australia already doesn’t have net neutrality, that’s why we have things like free social media data etc. the effect it will have is out ISPs seeing which lovely ideas American ISPs implement work the best and copy them.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

You Am I posted:

Fast and Furious series is hugely popular, yet also shite.

It became a self aware comedy after four of them and somehow watchable.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

drunkill posted:

They own a fair bit now...

Countdown until an original trilogy original theatrical version re-release on bluray for $100 a copy in 3... 2... 1...

What I'm taking away from this is that I could be watching pro Kabaddi on cable. How have I not known this before?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=regYzf1JF6k

(Fortunegiants is probably the bestest team name ever.)

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Australia already doesn’t have net neutrality, that’s why we have things like free social media data etc. the effect it will have is out ISPs seeing which lovely ideas American ISPs implement work the best and copy them.

yep

also regionalised pricing for downloadable content, software, music, etc. surely if 'data is data' and it doesn't matter where it's coming from, it also shouldn't matter where the data is going.

e: also, re disney/fox, does that mean there's a chance that we could get new Firefly?

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Firefly was cute and all but it's time to let go.

And yes I'm mostly saying that because The Fans ruin everything.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

G-Spot Run posted:

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

G-Spot Run posted:

Also Adam Baldwin.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

What could save Australians from the absolute trash the repeal of Net Neutrality can bring to the U.S. is that most Australians have a ton of ISPs to choose from which creates a competitive market.

Apparently there are loads of places in America where there is an absolute monopoly, meaning consumers have only one ISP who services their area. The big ISPs have essentially carved out territory like gangs, and don't infringe on each others' turf so that they can all fix the market.

Oh and another reason to let Firefly go is that Adam Baldwin is an absolute piece of poo poo.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

G-Spot Run posted:

firefly is the nerd version of Kevin Rudd's leadership ambitions

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

The Turnbull government has appointed an academic who has argued that recognising religious freedom should include acceptance of a limited form of sharia law to the Ruddock review.

YES RELIGIOUS FREEDOM

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

cohsae posted:

Apparently there are loads of places in America where there is an absolute monopoly, meaning consumers have only one ISP who services their area. The big ISPs have essentially carved out territory like gangs, and don't infringe on each others' turf so that they can all fix the market.
To be honest this kind of is starting up in Australia with new developments having FTTP provided by non-NBN fibre providers, who then just force lovely plans on everyone for bloated prices. The only other alternative people living in those developments have is using some LTE modem.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
The greatest highway robbery Australia will experience is when Telcos decide to merge HFC plans with NBN plans and charge a premium.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
The new telecom plan will be a PMC knocking on the door and shooting you in the face, you absolute filth.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

people can already follow sharia to the extent that it is compatible with Australian law anyway

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

this framing is pretty gross to me. religious freedom includes all religions, not just the “normal” ones. this isn’t newsworthy.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

BBJoey posted:

this framing is pretty gross to me. religious freedom includes all religions, not just the “normal” ones. this isn’t newsworthy.

I think it was brought up due to the fact that what most people screeching about religious freedom mean is being able to continue imposing Christianity on everyone else and this is going to be a significant problem for them and/or Trumble

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Solemn Sloth posted:

I think it was brought up due to the fact that what most people screeching about religious freedom mean is being able to continue imposing Christianity on everyone else and this is going to be a significant problem for them and/or Trumble

Yeah, but the way it is being reported is basically 'UQ LAW LECTURER THINKS WE SHOULD INTRODUCE SHARIA LAW'

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Solemn Sloth posted:

Isn't the current narrative that Islam isn't a religion, but a political movement instead?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The Before Times posted:

Yeah, but the way it is being reported is basically 'UQ LAW LECTURER THINKS WE SHOULD INTRODUCE SHARIA LAW'

Oh I agree, I might have misread BBJoeys tone when I thought they were criticising quoting the article in here rather than the way the article itself presents the issue.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

lol the media is going hard on Keneally. LNP must be scared.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

The Before Times posted:

Oh I studied under Aroney. He's a very good constitutional scholar but he's also a VERY VERY conservative, black-letter Catholic.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Kafka Syrup posted:

Oh I studied under Aroney. He's a very good constitutional scholar but he's also a VERY VERY conservative, black-letter Catholic.

Yeah I think he was around during my law days, though I took const when Suri was still doing the majority of it.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

The Before Times posted:

Yeah I think he was around during my law days, though I took const when Suri was still doing the majority of it.

Suri's a moderate compared to Aroney. The UQ Law School was (and in many ways still is) full of weird super-conservatives. Hell, James Allen still loving teaches despite multiple allegations of straight up abusing students.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Kafka Syrup posted:

Suri's a moderate compared to Aroney. The UQ Law School was (and in many ways still is) full of weird super-conservatives. Hell, James Allen still loving teaches despite multiple allegations of straight up abusing students.

Agreed. James Allen scared the poo poo out of me when I took public law. I always found his attitude towards students appalling, including when he refused to record his lectures because if you're not at the lecture, you're clearly not committed enough to study (even if you have to work in order to afford to live :allears:). I think Ann Black was my fave, though I only did one subject with her.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

Oh I agree, I might have misread BBJoeys tone when I thought they were criticising quoting the article in here rather than the way the article itself presents the issue.

sorry, my issue was with to the way it’s being reported in the media, not the way it was quoted or presented in this thread.

if the media is going to start writing stories about the dangers of religious freedom, maybe they should rerun the pieces about how priests are explicitly allowed to disregard the requirement to report the admission of a criminal act made in confession. it’s even more relevant given the handing down of the royal commission report. but hey i’m not one of the colossal geniuses that are part of the australian media so what do i know.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

The Before Times posted:

Agreed. James Allen scared the poo poo out of me when I took public law. I always found his attitude towards students appalling, including when he refused to record his lectures because if you're not at the lecture, you're clearly not committed enough to study (even if you have to work in order to afford to live :allears:). I think Ann Black was my fave, though I only did one subject with her.

I actually had a bunch of amazing lecturers, once I escaped lovely Priestly 11 - Cassimatis on Public International Law, Cvetkovski on Politics of Law, Orr on Law of Politics, Crowe on Feminist Jurisprudence and International Human Rights, Devereaux on Medico-Legal, Billings on Refugees, Bell-James on Environment and Built Heritage, de Groot on Estates, Forrest on Cultural Heritage and so on.

Just gently caress corporates, imo.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Kafka Syrup posted:

Just gently caress corporates, imo.

:agreed:

Tamara Walsh was good in Human Rights, Bell-James in Environmental and Black in Islamic law. I'm cut I missed out on taking femjuris though.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
I agree that Fast and Furious is garbo made for man-children.

And Paul Walker cruises are dumb.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Margaret Kelly (married to The Oz's Paul) taught me judicial review of migration decisions

that was fun

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/BevanShields/status/941210934944571392

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

No, they elected John Howard. They need to suffer more.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The Before Times posted:

No, they elected John Howard. They need to suffer more.

Multiple times! Into the sea with them, I say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Aren't the Howard people gone or outside the boundary now?

JBP fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 15, 2017

• Locked thread