Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ponies Ist Krieg
Dec 10, 2017

Yeah, I'm not really talking about explicitly transfemme charectors or cd stuff there's like eight bazillion animes with that theme. They are pretty much all universally creepy and bad. But thanks for the suggestions ppl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

androgynous character designs are fairly common in anime i would say, but they're usually in service of beautiful man/handsome woman archetypes or gags or even worse uh "jokes." though off the top of my head, Nanachi from last season's Made in Abyss was androgynous both in presentation and pronouns. Kaiba, having similar themes of memory/identity as LotL, also has characters swapping and living in bodies regardless of sex and gender though the bodies themselvesare definitely gendered so ymmv.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Just to be on the safe side, I'd appreciate it if you'd not refer to androgynous/transgendered folks as "traps".

When I'm talking about friends and people, and not 2d bugeye aliens designed as otaku fap bait, I don't.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

PerrineClostermann posted:

When I'm talking about friends and people, and not 2d bugeye aliens designed as otaku fap bait, I don't.

:thunk:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

do you not see how that term, even in scarequotes, could contribute to the dumbass belief that trans people are deceitful and thus make real people uncomfortable?

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

dude you had the easiest out in the world and you blew it.

it looks like this: "ok"

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Lmao, who could have seen this coming, in this thread

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

2d bugeye aliens designed as otaku fap bait

this is a really weird way to describe characters as if they're just industry machinations and the interests and feelings of the artists/writers designing characters don't matter at all.

this kind of callous descriptor is what i'd expect from someone who's not really into otaku culture but you've got a kemono friends av and your username is a strike witches char so you clearly just have a targeted problem here.

*gaze moves to maga hat*

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

badass power move brother, you managed to paint a giant target on your rear end for literally no reason

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

the maga hat already did that

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Space Flower posted:

this is a really weird way to describe characters as if they're just industry machinations and the interests and feelings of the artists/writers designing characters don't matter at all.

this kind of callous descriptor is what i'd expect from someone who's not really into otaku culture but you've got a kemono friends av and your username is a strike witches char so you clearly just have a targeted problem here.

*gaze moves to maga hat*

They're as much "2d bug eyed aliens E: and otaku fap bait" as any other character in anime so that's an oddly self loathing brush to paint the majority of a medium you consume with.

DisDisDis fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 14, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

but what are your opinions on episode 22 of fate/apocrypha

also depends what you mean by 'andrognyous' characters. if you like this kind of character design its very influenced by 90s shoujo but if you mean the explicitly agender aspects of the characters writing-wise simoun is the only one i can really think of and that show goes in a very different direction with that.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
It also seems odd to be recommending people "otaku fap bait" if they're asking for more shows like Houseki, imo

Also the 1995 Shirou GITS movie, OP

e; ive never watched it but maybe Rose of Versailles?

DisDisDis fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 14, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oh, there's also Kino no Tabi 2003. The more recent show doesn't play around with it in the same way but the 2003 show is cool if you dig that kind of character writing.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Lotsa of early (like pre yaoi hands) BL stuff is super femme-androgynous. Maya Mineo's v good. There's another lady I like but all her stuff is hardcore leathery.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Ponies Ist Krieg posted:

Yeah, I'm not really talking about explicitly transfemme charectors or cd stuff there's like eight bazillion animes with that theme. They are pretty much all universally creepy and bad. But thanks for the suggestions ppl.

kino of kino's journey might count for what you're looking for.

also you may like the anime wandering son which specifically explores transgender themes

e: also please gtfo PerrineClostermann

Ponies Ist Krieg
Dec 10, 2017

how does someone unironically have a loli Chud avatar. Like is this one of those deals where there's a additional six layers of irony like a really obnoxious nationalist onion or what.
Honestly not offended because I've heard worse,just seems more unself aware then anything.

:( this anime is only 12 eps and it's so pretty. meaningstwhile in the time it's taken me to write this post, eight Harem animes set in a mmorpg have been released.*

*overlord and kono suba are good though so I don't hold the mmorpg setting against them.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't even make this avatar :shrug:. Gift from the Kemono thread.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ponies Ist Krieg posted:

:( this anime is only 12 eps and it's so pretty. meaningstwhile in the time it's taken me to write this post, eight Harem animes set in a mmorpg have been released.*
this is kind of a reductive take, there's been plenty of great anime in the past year and even in this season there's other good stuff. especially if, uh, you like konosuba and overlord lol

And part of the reason it's only 12 episodes is that there just isn't enough of the manga out yet for twenty-four.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

there was even a pretty good mmo romcom anime this season

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

dogsicle posted:

there was even a pretty good mmo romcom anime this season

yeah anime had a real good year. hell just this season land of the lustrous and girls last tour have both consistently blown me away with their quality, not to mention shows that are just really solid fun like mmo junkie

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

well there's enough for a second season but only just. which is a shame because some of my fav gems haven't even shown up yet

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lets hang out posted:

well there's enough for a second season but only just. which is a shame because some of my fav gems haven't even shown up yet

there wasnt enough when production on this was starting and they definitely dont want to commit to 24 episodes then get caught with their hands tied if the author gets sick or something

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

hello short hair Bort

Bort hair short?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

lets hang out posted:

There wouldn't be any good place to stop anyways with the current material, unless you really want everyone to be upset at the end of s2

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Allarion posted:

There wouldn't be any good place to stop anyways with the current material, unless you really want everyone to be upset at the end of s2

there is never anything not somewhat upsetting about this series. but hell yeah i want season 2 in 2019

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

not sure there's a great place to end s1 either but hey they've done well so far

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

lets hang out posted:

not sure there's a great place to end s1 either but hey they've done well so far

I don't know how far the anime is going to go, but I can think of one major spot it could easily stop.

Also I love reading various discussions about this show and seeing how often people get hung up on rock gender. It's fun.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Oh my god I just realized my name is unironically Moon Moon irl and I have a bag of gem pieces and cut them for decoration...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote:

The whole decision to use gender neutral pronouns for all of the characters came from the series creator. Before I even started I was told that they wanted to keep the characters essentially genderless by avoiding using “he” or “she,” which really only left the option of “they” because using “it” or something horrible like that was absolutely out of the question.

In the Japanese script, the characters use what is actually the generic pronoun for “he” from time to time, and a lot of the characters use what are typically considered more masculine versions of the word “I,” which is something we don’t really have in English. But it can feel as though it has a bit more room for ambiguity in Japanese, whereas in English it feels like it very clearly assigns them one way or another, which is not what the creator intended.

so yeah op can you please edit the op, thank you. im not even being pissy it's just a sincere request for accuracy considering its important to the material and the authorial intent

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Xun posted:

Oh my god I just realized my name is unironically Moon Moon irl and I have a bag of gem pieces and cut them for decoration...

Can I ask how you cut them because that sounds pretty interesting?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

:kimchi:

e: why aren't manga books the same size, this will drive me crazy

PerrineClostermann fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Dec 16, 2017

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Endorph posted:

so yeah op can you please edit the op, thank you. im not even being pissy it's just a sincere request for accuracy considering its important to the material and the authorial intent

But the subtitles once used "Brother", which totally justifies me calling them all "she"!
:goonsay:

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
https://twitter.com/durendals/status/940251915593580544

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

this ep was really really really good

like it was all in service to affirming a character relationship that the viewer already knows is there, but how it gets there is so good

i absolutely loved the slow reveal of what the lunarian looked like and how creepy the chase scene was

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

crushing bort

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

crushing bort

I’m sure that’s a Pixiv tag.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

By all means, keep digging.

The Colonel posted:

badass power move brother, you managed to paint a giant target on your rear end for literally no reason

Ponies Ist Krieg
Dec 10, 2017

The_White_Crane posted:

But the subtitles once used "Brother", which totally justifies me calling them all "she"!
:goonsay:

Did they also not notice how pho doesn't even know what breasts are when they first meet a sea person,
that's a big hint that the sentient space rocks definitely don't fit into classical conceptions of gender.
Also they are rocks.

It's because people like to be really petty when it comes to pronouns and gender identity, I guess they think if you continually disrespect even fictional charectors you "win".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

When does episode 11 drop? :ohdear:

• Locked thread