Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.
Does anyone here have the Island Scan QR codes for the species added to Alola in USUM? Or a link to them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ROFL Octopus posted:

It was way cooler in gen ii because it mistakenly only worked on same species, same gender pokemon.

Fast ball was funny too because it was supposed to work better on, you know, Pokemon that run from battle quickly, but instead they only have the effect on Magnemite, Grimer and Tangela.

Don't forget the Moon Ball, which worked on Pokemon that evolved via Burn Heal.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

PetraCore posted:

Speaking of optimum pokeball aesthetics, how the heck do I get the moon ball? I can't figured out where Samuel gives it to you in USUM. I've searched everything on Mt. Hokulani.

I wasted my love ball on something I wasn't adequately prepared to soft reset on but I want to use the moon ball well.

Is Moon Ball the one he gives you near the recycling plant?

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

the_steve posted:

Is Moon Ball the one he gives you near the recycling plant?

That's the Friend Ball.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Blaze Dragon posted:

Don't forget the Moon Ball, which worked on Pokemon that evolved via Burn Heal.

That owns

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

PetraCore posted:

Too bad there aren't any roaming legendaries.

You take that back! Roaming legendaries are terrible.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Nth Doctor posted:

You take that back! Roaming legendaries are terrible.

Better than the ultra wormhole nonsense.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

To add to this, in Gen 2, the Fast Ball should've worked on all Pokemon that could flee (which was 24 Pokemon, though 7 couldn't be encountered), but only worked on the first 3 in that list, which were Magnemite, Grimer and Tangela, since it was ordered by Pokedex number.

The Heavy Ball adds to the catch rate so it's really useful on low catch rate Pokemon, but the only Pokemon that really benefited from were Onix, Lugia, Lapras, Mantine, Gyarados for the +20 and Snorlax for the +30. There were others, like Golem and Steelix, but they can't be encountered.

The Apricorn Balls are better now, but back in the day they were some real stinkers. The only ones that's worked consistently have been the Level and Friend Balls.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Crosspeice posted:

To add to this, in Gen 2, the Fast Ball should've worked on all Pokemon that could flee (which was 24 Pokemon, though 7 couldn't be encountered), but only worked on the first 3 in that list, which were Magnemite, Grimer and Tangela, since it was ordered by Pokedex number.

The Heavy Ball adds to the catch rate so it's really useful on low catch rate Pokemon, but the only Pokemon that really benefited from were Onix, Lugia, Lapras, Mantine, Gyarados for the +20 and Snorlax for the +30. There were others, like Golem and Steelix, but they can't be encountered.

The Apricorn Balls are better now, but back in the day they were some real stinkers. The only ones that's worked consistently have been the Level and Friend Balls.
I feel like the unintended lesson is that Kurt is really bad at his job.

EDIT: Wait how loving heavy is Mantine supposed to be?!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
is there a consensus best pokemon game/gen?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TaurusOxford posted:

Better than the ultra wormhole nonsense.

Hell loving no. The Ultra Wormholes for legendaries are bad but I prefer that to the horrible idea that was roaming legendaries, one of the shittiest things Pokemon has ever done and something that I dearly hope will never return, alongside other terrible ideas such as HMs.

indigi posted:

Ask eight people and you'll get eight different answers. In a question that has seven possible answers.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Blaze Dragon posted:

Hell loving no. The Ultra Wormholes for legendaries are bad but I prefer that to the horrible idea that was roaming legendaries, one of the shittiest things Pokemon has ever done and something that I dearly hope will never return, alongside other terrible ideas such as HMs.
I like infinite ultra beasts, I just need to... GET TO Kartana and Guzzlord.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

indigi posted:

in my opinion it's heart gold but there's some things that make people here rub their face into the ground and cry when it comes up

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

oddium posted:

in my opinion it's heart gold but there's some things that make people here rub their face into the ground and cry when it comes up

Pro: Walking pokemon
Con: The leveling curve

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Heart Gold is 100% the best, the horrifying exp curve just means it's Real Gamers Only

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I love Gen 5 then Gen 4, then I guess 7, 6, 3, 1, 2? I really rank them in terms of mechanics and overall enjoyability, but yeah, you'll get a different answer each time. B2W2 is my favourite overall game due to all the poo poo it's got in it, with Platinum following behind, then BW. HGSS would be ranked higher if it didn't bring all the terrible Gen 2 stuff with it, a problem every remake has. Least favourite game is FRLG, since most of it is more enjoyably played in janky Gen 1, instead of pretty tame Gen 3. Sevii Islands are cool, but not enough to save it.

Oh yeah, the Fast Ball in HGSS has an interesting quirk, due to only working on Pokemon with base 100 Speed, it includes Raikou in that list, but not Entei or Suicune. There's also others (Dugtrio, Electabuzz, Electrode, Kadabra, Latias, Latios, Lugia, Mewtwo, Persian, Rapidash, Rayquaza, Sneasel and Tauros) so it's an alright Pokeball now.

The Heavy Ball was also changed in HGSS, so Groudon and Snorlax get a +40 boost to their catch rate, while Kyogre gets +30. Dialga, Regigigas, Heatran and Giratina also could've used the +40 boost, but you couldn't catch them in those games. Though this does apply to USUM now.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

indigi posted:

My vote is Sun/Moon. Notably not USUM, which hosed up the climax of the story. Generally speaking I'll usually say the most recent main games are the best main games but 3rd versions and remakes are kinda spotty

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Eox posted:

Heart Gold is 100% the best, the horrifying exp curve just means it's Real Gamers Only

Tedium is what separates the men from the boys, apparently

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Ask eight people and you'll get eight different answers. In a question that has seven possible answers.

look man gen 10 is gonna blow the water out of anything previous, just you wait

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

indigi posted:

I'm one of those monsters that loves Gen 3, with USUM being my second favorite.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

All gens are my special little children but Gen 5 is on the honor roll.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I’m playing Gold on 3DS and REALLY missing the moveset changes from later games. Moves are learned extremely late and certain types are just plain lacking in moves. TMs are really wack and missing the classic flamethrower, ice beam, thunderbolt.

Even as a kid my favorite pokemon to use was Alakazam because you could just slap the elemental punches on him and he’d be one of the few pokemon with wide type coverage.

Though I am remembering that the gen ii sound effects were badass.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Oh yeah and Leer is a laser beam :twisted:

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I actually think the pokemon games nearest and dearest to me are Gen IV. Including HG and SS! For some reason that gen just feels like the quintessential pokemon games. Sure, Gens I and II are classic, they're the ones from which everything else follows, but replaying Silver on the virtual console is like pulling teeth even in such simple stuff as PC storage. And I remember being excited for FRLG, but I think for me the Sinnoh games are the perfect combo of being fun to replay, memorable, and early enough that I still get that sweet sweet hit of nostalgia.

Sure, I'm crazy about Gen VII, but part of that is them being the newest games so having the best quality of life updates. I'm genuinely pretty disappointed a Diamond/Pearl remake doesn't seem to be in the works at this point.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Personally I think I'd rate the gens;

Mostly in terms of how much they 'clicked' with me. I really, really loving hate Hoenn and Unova in B/W (B2/W2 was better tho). I basically rated in terms of pokemon selection and holy poo poo are Hoenn and B/W Unova bad on that front, backloading most of their mons and spoonfeedind you way too few mons way too slowly.

SuMo are real good though and basically a perfect place to jump onboard.

Zore fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 15, 2017

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Zore posted:

Personally I think I'd rate the gens;

Mostly in terms of how much they 'clicked' with me. I really, really loving hate Hoenn and Unova in B/W (B2/W2 was better tho). I basically rated in terms of pokemon selection and holy poo poo are Hoenn and B/W Unova bad on that front, backloading most of their mons and spoonfeedind you way too few mons way too slowly.

SuMo are real good though and basically a perfect place to jump onboard.

DP Sinnoh where almost every new evolution for old pokemon and where ponyta is the only non-starter fire type has to be the most baffling selection of mons ever.

Platinum and HGSS were great tho.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I wanted to like Unova more than I did. I still like it a fair bit though, part of that is because the friendrival npcs are pretty good. and then along comes Kalos and, man, wow. Shauna is good. Calem (when I played as a girl) is alright, tho not much depth. But loading you up with so many npcs that will follow you around and repeat their gimmick over and over and over again wears on me. It's way better to cut the number to one or two and write those better. Like, Hau and Gladion are great friendrivals.

It's a shame because I like a lot of the aesthetics of Kalos down to how many routes actually are covered in gravestones if you look for it but the handholding and flat writing make it one of my less liked games.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Gen V gave us reusable TMs and my homeboys Scrafty and Volcarona, thus rocketing it to victory. Also the Pokemon World Tournament, and the thing where the music changed when you were at low HP. Also I remember Gen V doing some stuff with WiFi compatibility which meant that, to make a long story short, for the very first time my isolated Canadian rear end could actually trade with other human beings. And also Gen V was the generation where Game Freak went 'wait, what if we added... more than one cool bug?' so it's full of awesome bugs. Also Cheren and Bianca are both cool.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

PetraCore posted:

Like, Hau and Gladion are great friendrivals.

Hau pissed me off with how fuckin smiley and soft he was. Gladion was cool though

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Hau seemed appropriately chill for someone who grew up in place where the biggest threat was Team Skull.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

YggiDee posted:

Gen V gave us reusable TMs and my homeboys Scrafty and Volcarona, thus rocketing it to victory. Also the Pokemon World Tournament, and the thing where the music changed when you were at low HP. Also I remember Gen V doing some stuff with WiFi compatibility which meant that, to make a long story short, for the very first time my isolated Canadian rear end could actually trade with other human beings. And also Gen V was the generation where Game Freak went 'wait, what if we added... more than one cool bug?' so it's full of awesome bugs. Also Cheren and Bianca are both cool.

On the other hand playing it was miserable, it was the absolute nadir of legendary overload, the loving Genies, it introduced loving event TMs, the pokemon selection was garbage and like a quarter of the dex was only available after the seventh gym and everything evolves way too late and meshes horribly whenever they're in a game with other generation pokemon.

I say this with Scolipede and Volcarona being two of my favorite pokemon of all time.

And N is the loving worst character in the series.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Hau is great. I don't understand why people want rivals to go back to being Saved By the Bell villains.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

Hau is great. I don't understand why people want rivals to go back to being Saved By the Bell villains.

We've only had like 2 of those; Gary and Silver.

Brandon/May are barely a rival and spend the game supportive while Wally has 2 fights and no real characterization
Barry is basically a hyperactive version of Hau
Cheren and Bianca are both your best friends and mostly nice, N is also nice and Hugh is barely a rival who spends the game doing stuff that has nothing to do with you
The Gen VI crew is all a bunch of overly friendly people complete with the most :effort: rival in the series

Its been a long rear end time since we've had anything approaching a 'villainous' rival.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

TFRazorsaw posted:

Hau didn't even feel like a rival, from the beginning he seemed resigned to the fact that you'd regularly be making him your bitch. they tried to address this in Ultra by making him have a Come To Jesus moment but it felt forced.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's not so much a matter of time since we had a villainous rival, so much as it is "rivals like Blue are really boring" and for some reason people treat him like the gold standard.

There's criticism to give newer rivals, but at the end of the day, I'll take a chubby kid who loves to dance and doesn't get much character development over a bully who says "smell ya later" half a decade after the 80's ended.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

they should really have a frienemy in the next generation. someone who's always nice and helpful to your face but who you find out in the course of the game has poo poo-talked you and made things more difficult on your journey

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Zore posted:

We've only had like 2 of those; Gary and Silver.

Brandon/May are barely a rival and spend the game supportive while Wally has 2 fights and no real characterization
Barry is basically a hyperactive version of Hau
Cheren and Bianca are both your best friends and mostly nice, N is also nice and Hugh is barely a rival who spends the game doing stuff that has nothing to do with you
The Gen VI crew is all a bunch of overly friendly people complete with the most :effort: rival in the series

Its been a long rear end time since we've had anything approaching a 'villainous' rival.

N is like the main antagonist of BW until the very end reveal

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

Tedium is what separates the men from the boys, apparently

Your gamer tier is determined by how much fun you can force yourself into thinking you're having

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I think Hau's an amazing rival and character, and the Pokemon games are all about positivity even in rough places, so he's really evocative of that kind of lifestyle. I also think Silver did the "jerkass" arc better than Blue did, but that's just me. Rivals don't need to be evil people, but they twisted it too far in the other direction with Gen 6, so I think a good balance of being a decent person coupled with a competitive attitude and a good reason for their actions is a good way to roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Raserys posted:

N is like the main antagonist of BW until the very end reveal

Not exactly related but goddamn did his fight music rule

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0ajBL15Knk

I'm the rapid fire steel drums in the background