Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

C-Euro posted:

Trying to find a sitter for my doggo while I'm chilling with the family out in Cali for Christmas. Visited two people today that my wife looked up on Rover(?).

I assume this is like an Uber for dogsitters?

Why would these people sign up for it? Especially the one with a one year old who is apparently scared that dogs will rape him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I just saw the Last Jedi. If the Patriots get blown out on Sunday and Tom Brady dies on the field that would be only the second most disappointing thing to happen this weekend.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

axeil posted:

http://highline.huffingtonpost.com/articles/en/poor-millennials/

This article is the most pro-read article I have read in probably something like 5 years. It's all about how hosed the millenials are, especially the ones who now are in their late 20s/early 30s. It focuses on how intertwined all the economic problems are and at the end has some ideas to fix it (banish the GOP and NIMBY people to the hell dimension basically)

This article is amazing

quote:

Since the Great Recession, the “good” jobs—secure, non-temp, decent salary—have concentrated in cities like never before. America’s 100 largest metros have added 6 million jobs since the downturn. Rural areas, meanwhile, still have fewer jobs than they did in 2007. For young people trying to find work, moving to a major city is not an indulgence. It is a virtual necessity.

But the soaring rents in big cities are now canceling out the higher wages. Back in 1970, according to a Harvard study, an unskilled worker who moved from a low-income state to a high-income state kept 79 percent of his increased wages after he paid for housing. A worker who made the same move in 2010 kept just 36 percent. For the first time in U.S. history, says Daniel Shoag, one of the study’s co-authors, it no longer makes sense for an unskilled worker in Utah to head for New York in the hope of building a better life.

This leaves young people, especially those without a college degree, with an impossible choice. They can move to a city where there are good jobs but insane rents. Or they can move somewhere with low rents but few jobs that pay above the minimum wage.

This dilemma is feeding the inequality-generating woodchipper the U.S. economy has become. Rather than offering Americans a way to build wealth, cities are becoming concentrations of people who already have it. In the country’s 10 largest metros, residents earning more than $150,000 per year now outnumber those earning less than $30,000 per year.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 15, 2017

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

leperfish i accidentally reloaded a long rear end response to your post that i dont want to retype but

democrats did not retake everything 2008 riding in on obama's coattails. they took it in 2006 running against:

1. iraq

2. katrina

3. bush's failed attempt to privatize social security

the financial crisis had not yet happened. It was understood in 2006 whomever ran as a democrat in 2008 was going to win. This was true before obama was a twinkle in ted kennedy's eye.

As far as appealing to democrats in 2008, this is also false. The three main things in the immediate aftermath of Obama's election were

1. Bailout the auto industry

2. Save the financial industry

3. Universal healthcare

The first was incredibly successful, and the democrats didn't run on its successes. Why? Who the gently caress knows.

The financial bailouts, then the subsequent QEs, were direct cash payments to the banks that held bad debt instead of the homeowners. They saved the wolves from the burning hen house, instead of marching the bankers into St Marks square and hanging them. They didn't do this because they were worried about the reaction from the electorate. Again, they could have literally painted the town red with Lloyd Blankstein's blood and people would have cheered.

They did that because the democratic party has been living fat off the wall street hog since the nineties. Instead of saving that middle class vote, they pissed them off. On top of pissing off their core constituency, which were the poor and minority voters that were hosed over the hardest by ARMs.

UHC is consistently one of the most popular issues in the united states. The house passed medicare expansion. The ACA is a mess, but it woudl have been much better if Joe Lieberman hadn't hosed over the Medicare Expansion in the senate.

Again, this was nothing about them trying to appease middle class voters. This was them appeasing BCBS, or Aetna, or Humana.

Appealing to blue dog democrats is complete garbage.

The democrats need to base their coalition around big issues that are overwhelmingly popular.

1. Universal Healthcare
2. Taxing the rich into the ground
3. Marijuana Decriminalization
4. Infrastructure investment
5. Proactive treatment for opiod addiction
6. Law Enforcement reform

Virginia, a purple state, just voted for a transgender reporter from a punk band because she ran on road construction.

In the words of my favorite band....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_-QtXBP_F0&t=98s

gently caress blue dogs. gently caress the banks. gently caress the insurance companies.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Grittybeard posted:

Why would these people sign up for it? Especially the one with a one year old who is apparently scared that dogs will rape him?

It's been fine for us in the past, we have one woman who's been pretty reliable in the past but she is out for that week :/

I'm also kind of worked up because I had to scramble to arrange travel/dog boarding for this weekend because I have to go back home for my uncle's funeral but fortunately one of my friends here is around and willing to watch dog.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Democrats biggest obstacle is losing control of all the state legislatures and opening the door to all the gerrymandering and voter suppression. Now they need a super majority of votes to get anyone elected.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
My wife babies our dog so when we go out of town and her family can't watch her we put her up at a fancy boarding kennel. Thankfully living in LA there are 20 different ones to choose from.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/941470855011487744

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Democrats biggest obstacle is losing control of all the state legislatures and opening the door to all the gerrymandering and voter suppression. Now they need a super majority of votes to get anyone elected.

Thankfully the effects of the 2010 gerrymandering are less and less potent due to natural shifts in populations and demographics. Hopefully by 2020 those effects being at their nadir combined with an anti-Trump sentiment will be enough to elect a progressive super-majority that would make FDR blush. Then in 2021 Alito and Gorsuch die in a lover's quarrel murder/suicide and while we're dreaming Joe Flacco gets inducted into the HoF come 2030.

I don't know where to even start with the ignorant individual votes don't matter stuff someone was pushing up thread.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

axeil posted:

http://highline.huffingtonpost.com/articles/en/poor-millennials/

This article is the most pro-read article I have read in probably something like 5 years. It's all about how hosed the millenials are, especially the ones who now are in their late 20s/early 30s. It focuses on how intertwined all the economic problems are and at the end has some ideas to fix it (banish the GOP and NIMBY people to the hell dimension basically)

Thank you for this article, very worthwhile reading here.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Guys I'm getting sucked into Magic...I just bought a 10 dollar card...please help

Grittybeard posted:

There's reviews, ratings, and you can chat and meet the person before you ever book. It's actually a really well done service. They even have insurance as an option for the stay. AND they do refunds!

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Spoeank discovering the deep depths of Don Jr's smooth brain is my favorite subplot of 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I hate stepup lunges so much

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Blitz7x posted:

Spoeank discovering the deep depths of Don Jr's smooth brain is my favorite subplot of 2017

he's my favorite, dumbest trump in a long line of dumb trumps

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Guys I'm getting sucked into Magic...I just bought a 10 dollar card...please help

There's reviews, ratings, and you can chat and meet the person before you ever book. It's actually a really well done service. They even have insurance as an option for the stay. AND they do refunds!

Its too late for you friend you already spent $10 on a single card

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I just found this on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPmF_2etYrA

Man, why are we even trying at making game shows?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

There is no "vast gulf" between Democrats and Republicans outside of abortion. And there's only a vast gulf there because the policy is binary. Economics, gun laws, affordable housing, education, medical access, lobbying reform... everything besides abortion is varying shades of neoliberal.

Yes the Clinton administration totally would have nominated the man who said hat your employer could fire you from leaving your truck in the winter to not freeze to death, would have canceled DACA, would have rattled the sabers around busting marijuana business legal under state law, would have tried to repeal the ACA, and would be stumping for a tax cut to reduce pass through businesses and corporate tax rates.

Seriously my dude what the gently caress.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

swickles posted:

I just found this on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPmF_2etYrA

Man, why are we even trying at making game shows?

The dude on the tank was super into it

Still not as cool as slippery stairs

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

3 DONG HORSE posted:

My collection's value is somewhere in the high 4-digits, get on my level and help me get down from here

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

leperfish i accidentally reloaded a long rear end response to your post that i dont want to retype but

democrats did not retake everything 2008 riding in on obama's coattails. they took it in 2006 running against:

1. iraq

2. katrina

3. bush's failed attempt to privatize social security

Yeah. They gained a very slim Senate majority (if you include the two indies) and a reasonable house majority. But they gained another 8 senate seats and another 21 house seats in 2008: the senate seats in particular are critical because with the indies it took them to a 60-member majority capable of defeating filibusters.

quote:

It was understood in 2006 whomever ran as a democrat in 2008 was going to win. This was true before obama was a twinkle in ted kennedy's eye.
Understood by whom?

quote:

As far as appealing to democrats in 2008, this is also false. The three main things in the immediate aftermath of Obama's election were

1. Bailout the auto industry

2. Save the financial industry

3. Universal healthcare

Bush and the pre-08-election congress kicked off the auto industry bailout. Congress offered a 25B loan in December 08, after Obama was elected but before he was inaugurated. Chrysler did wait till May 09 to file for chapter 11, and it's true that Obama could have reversed course, but the bailout should not be handed to him as a personal victory, even though at the time the people who were furious about the bailout were happy to blame him and pretend he'd been the architect of it all.

The financial industry bailout occurred in October 2008, ahead of the election, and was entirely architected by that congress and the Bush white house. Obama should not be given any credit or blame for the bailout: TARP wasn't his.

The subsequent QEs were, if I understand correctly, largely actions of the FED and not something the White House really had a say about. Certainly Congress had the opportunity to act, and failed to, to support the millions of people losing their homes. But I believe you are missing the point here: members of Congress knew they would need the bribes campaign contributions from major donors to get reelected. The gains made in '06 and '08 were very likely to reverse in '10, as midterms are almost always a reversal for the President's party. The blue dogs in particular held their own party hostage during the debate and structuring of the health care legislation.

quote:

The financial bailouts, then the subsequent QEs, were direct cash payments to the banks that held bad debt instead of the homeowners. They saved the wolves from the burning hen house, instead of marching the bankers into St Marks square and hanging them. They didn't do this because they were worried about the reaction from the electorate. Again, they could have literally painted the town red with Lloyd Blankstein's blood and people would have cheered.

I agree that they handled things really badly, but, I think this is a misunderstanding of what the QE mechanism was and how it worked. The largest US banks are the FED, and giving them "free money" is literally how new money is created by the FED. It's the basic mechanism by which we prevent deflation - the country has to create enough new money to keep up some small rate of inflation, and it does this by funneling cash into the biggest banks, which in turn loan that cash to borrowers to get it into the economy.

The problem was that we had a recession that was ongoing despite interest rates being dropped to zero. QE was a mechanism that permitted additional easing of credit in an attempt to kickstart the economy... and in retrospect, it very likely worked.

The financial bailout itself - the decision to rescue major banks rather than allow them to fail ("too big to fail") was and remains arguable and controversial. I personally think that they should have been bailed out, but at the cost of being dismantled and broken up (simply allowing several major banks to collapse would have been incredibly painful to everyone in ways most people don't realize) but the problem there was the failure to break them up, not the decision to bail them out at all.

But just to reiterate: the major bank bailouts occurred before Obama was President, and were proposed by Paulson and signed by Bush. TARP was run by the Treasury department, not Congress. The program essentially guaranteed that the banks that were best positioned to survive would be buying up the ones that were crippled, which is why in the immediate aftermath of Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008 becoming law, we saw multiple banks buying one another. At the same time, you may recall, the Federal government (in the form of Paulson and Bernanke) siezed control of freddie mac and fannie mae.

Congress was not and is not entirely helpless to intervene. There definitely needed to be breakups of the biggest financial institutions, a separation imposed between banks and hedge funds, much tighter regulation of mortgages and foreclosures, etc. and a lot of that not happening is on the Democratic majority of 2008-2010. But I'm convinced a big reason why it didn't happen was that the blue dogs resisted, knowing that they'd be attacked from the right for hurting businesses and killing jobs in the middle of a recession.

Which they were anyway. So that was dumb. But I don't think at any time Pelosi had the votes to pass such a bill and I don't think that's something to be blanketly thrown at the Democratic party in general. The Democratic majority was something of a mirage. It's frankly a miracle they were able to pass the health care bill that they did.

quote:

They did that because the democratic party has been living fat off the wall street hog since the nineties. Instead of saving that middle class vote, they pissed them off. On top of pissing off their core constituency, which were the poor and minority voters that were hosed over the hardest by ARMs.

UHC is consistently one of the most popular issues in the united states. The house passed medicare expansion. The ACA is a mess, but it woudl have been much better if Joe Lieberman hadn't hosed over the Medicare Expansion in the senate.

It's easy to forget that at the time they passed it, the affordable health care act was quite unpopular, the country was going nuts about death panels, and there was nowhere near enough support for UHC instead. It had been decades since major health care legislation had been passed, and during those decades, everyone who tried paid a big price for trying and then another for failing.

quote:

Again, this was nothing about them trying to appease middle class voters. This was them appeasing BCBS, or Aetna, or Humana.

Appealing to blue dog democrats is complete garbage.

It was political expediency to appease their donors. Who they believed (correctly) they needed in order to get re-elected.

Now, I actually totally agree with you as to what Democrats should do now:

quote:

The democrats need to base their coalition around big issues that are overwhelmingly popular.

1. Universal Healthcare
2. Taxing the rich into the ground
3. Marijuana Decriminalization
4. Infrastructure investment
5. Proactive treatment for opiod addiction
6. Law Enforcement reform

Yes yes yes. But not just make these elements of their platform: Democrats need to lead. They need to convince the electorate that these things are in their interests. And even more so they need to convince them that these things (along with addressing climate change, which should probably be ~#2 on that list) are more important than poo poo like abortion laws and letting transgendered people use bathrooms and kneeling for the anthem.

quote:

gently caress blue dogs. gently caress the banks. gently caress the insurance companies.

A loving men. gently caress political expediency. gently caress promoting and running candidates in red districts who are basically republicans but for the (D) after their name and maybe one non-hot-button issue like union support or caring about public schools or something. But this is the long game; running for reals left candidates may mean losing a whole bunch of winnable races for the next 2-8+ years.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I don't know where to even start with the ignorant individual votes don't matter stuff someone was pushing up thread.

lmao ya your one vote totally determines the discrete outcome of elections. Perhaps it’s you who is the ignorant one, sport.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Didn't we just see an election turn because of Get Out The Vote drives?

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

We should really just stick to phone polling then have some guy named Dave or something just cast the one vote to decide who wins

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I won a Red Sox hat at an industry party, my girlfriend threw up in it a little bit on the train home.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I won a Red Sox hat at an industry party, my girlfriend threw up in it a little bit on the train home.

nothing of value was lost

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

feel free to read through the issues section of the guy who opposed the blue dog i voted for http://www.davegilesforcongress.com/issues/

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

https://twitter.com/SenWhitehouse/status/941484131757838337

lol the courts are going to be hosed forever if these idiots get through.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Man I just burned two of my fingertips cooking a few hours ago because I'm an idiot. Not super serious, but the blistering right away type.

If I ever get third degree burns please just give me morphine until I die.

(I am also a huge wimp apparently)

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

OxySnake posted:

Jesus christ

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

lmao ya your one vote totally determines the discrete outcome of elections. Perhaps it’s you who is the ignorant one, sport.

How can anyone possibly claim to be a socialist if their strategy for elections is "EVERY MAN FOR HIMSELF"? Elections are where like-minded people select the candidate that will best advance their common interests. Seeing elections as a signaling mechanism for your individual preferences is the most capitalistic approach possible.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Also, The Last Jedi is really good, y'all.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

OxySnake posted:

He couldn't even study a cheatsheet on the types of questions he'd be asked? Yeesh

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Apparently Heather Heyer's (the woman killed by the car in Charlottesville) mom has to keep her daughter's remains location hidden because of white supremacists :stare:

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I just saw the Last Jedi. If the Patriots get blown out on Sunday and Tom Brady dies on the field that would be only the second most disappointing thing to happen this weekend.

It was so bad

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Shangri-Law School posted:

How can anyone possibly claim to be a socialist if their strategy for elections is "EVERY MAN FOR HIMSELF"? Elections are where like-minded people select the candidate that will best advance their common interests. Seeing elections as a signaling mechanism for your individual preferences is the most capitalistic approach possible.

He's literally espousing the economist notion that no single vote has significant influnece so voting is a total waste of time.

You do not act in a vacuum friend. When multiple people engage in these same individualist logical fallacies it has significant influnece over elections. What's more, your own philosophy acknowledges this because an individual protest vote is just some kook. You'd need a coallition of people all protesting in the same way if you actually wanted to change the behavior of one of the major parties. Unless your image of an election is D:100,000 R: 100,000 Protest Vote: 1.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Just saw Last Jedi and I don't totally know how I feel about it.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

He's literally espousing the economist notion that no single vote has significant influnece so voting is a total waste of time.

You do not act in a vacuum friend. When multiple people engage in these same individualist logical fallacies it has significant influnece over elections. What's more, your own philosophy acknowledges this because an individual protest vote is just some kook. You'd need a coallition of people all protesting in the same way if you actually wanted to change the behavior of one of the major parties. Unless your image of an election is D:100,000 R: 100,000 Protest Vote: 1.

I never said voting is a waste of time. I literally stated the purpose of voting in the same post. Sorry you're an idiot and can't read 3 small paragraphs.

SLS has a proud and storied tradition of having bad opinions. To this day, he brings pride to his ancestors by continuing this tradition with his views on politics and the war of stars.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/EoinHiggins_/status/941499433585438720

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

my god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Slam loving dunk