Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Ah yeah I’m with you, gotta start running the spreadsheets if you want your internal rate of return and all that.

Baronjutter posted:

What isnt humming along fine is manulife taking 3%+, that can get hosed.

Amen to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
But TD does do that stuff dude. I have all the graphs, but you want to pay a bunch more to save you the effort of figuring out how to log into TD webbroker, as far as I can tell.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

large hands posted:

But TD does do that stuff dude. I have all the graphs, but you want to pay a bunch more to save you the effort of figuring out how to log into TD webbroker, as far as I can tell.

I guess I feel like I'm not 100% qualified enough to do the 100% self-directed investing and might get more out of something like Nest or Wealthsimple in the long run.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
For what it's worth, Questrade has a decent interface for calculating annualized returns and generally getting a sense of what each of your investments is doing. And if you're going TD for mutual funds, the main difference between mutual funds and ETFs is really just how and when you purchase them. (i.e.: trade mutual funds after market hours, trade ETFs during market hours)

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Baronjutter posted:

I guess I feel like I'm not 100% qualified enough to do the 100% self-directed investing and might get more out of something like Nest or Wealthsimple in the long run.

i mean wealthsimple publish their fund portfolios. you could literally just copy them with 20 minutes of free time

their portfolio performance seems bad tho. i'd just buy a bunch of vanguard total market or something and forget about it

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I feel kind of dumb -- I've been accumulating the amount I've earmarked for my RRSP in a savings account, figuring Tangerine's promotional 2.8% would be good enough until I have a larger lump sum to invest. But then I looked at the annualised returns of the RRSP over that period of time and it's definitely more than 2.8%. Of course, there was no way of knowing this, but since this is for retirement savings and not an emergency fund, why even bother keeping it in a savings account?

I think I had a rational reason for this at some point, but when I stopped to actually think about it this week, I just can't see it. :doh:

Jan fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 29, 2017

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Save on commission with less frequent trades?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Buy a vanguard fund and do nothing.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

pokeyman posted:

Save on commission with less frequent trades?

Not with commission-free purchases. Although I think it's the commission on selling that's gotten me into this -- I still have a small enough portfolio that I've been rebalancing through new injections, so I'd wait until I have enough to top up to my desired allocation.

But then, in hindsight, I can still get as close to that allocation as I can without selling and just keep doing that on occasion. With a whopping 3 different securities, it's not exactly the end of the world...

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

One approach is to run whatever amount you’re investing through a calculator like this one (I think I’ve linked it before), which answers the question "I want to invest $X into my portfolio right now, how many shares of each security should I buy so I move closer to my target allocation?" I lop off part of my paycheque each month, feed it to that calculator, then buy what it tells me.

I’ll still check my positions once a year in case things are out of whack and I need to buy and sell to rebalance, but it makes me happier to always be rebalancing with my monthly buys. Maybe it’ll stop you from sitting on cash you mean to invest!

Mantle
May 15, 2004

pokeyman posted:

One approach is to run whatever amount you’re investing through a calculator like this one (I think I’ve linked it before), which answers the question "I want to invest $X into my portfolio right now, how many shares of each security should I buy so I move closer to my target allocation?" I lop off part of my paycheque each month, feed it to that calculator, then buy what it tells me.

I’ll still check my positions once a year in case things are out of whack and I need to buy and sell to rebalance, but it makes me happier to always be rebalancing with my monthly buys. Maybe it’ll stop you from sitting on cash you mean to invest!

Here's a Canadian-specific calculator that does the same thing and can link to your Questrade account via API.

https://getpassiv.com/

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Hi thread, been out of here for some time. I did a catch up for the last few pages but didn't really see much about this so thought I'd ask:

What's the best rewards CC right now? For either points or travel?

I've got one of those PC cards but with the severance of PCF and CIBC, I'm thinking of using it as an excuse to jump ship. I might stick with Simplii for my main banking (as I like the ability to use CIBC machines no charge and for deposits) but I'm also considering changing banks if its worthwhile.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

MBNA world whatever card has been the best no-thinking overall rewards card from what I've found, $89 a year fee but first year free and $100 welcome bonus so it's pretty much free for the first two years.

2% back on all purchases with no limit.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Ugh, I loathe MBNA right up there with Capital One. I had both their cards at one time and I ended up closing them (probably the only cards I've ever actually cancelled in addition to some store cards years ago) because their customer service and marketing was terrible... but that was a long time ago. I was hoping a more mainstream bank.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Boo

Baldrik
Apr 18, 2006

I never forget a pushy
I haven’t been active on the forums for a long time and I’ve tried to play a bit of catchup before I pose my question for some of you more financially savvy Canadian goons. You may cringe about what I’ve done here.

Basically I have decided to move abroad for a year or two and live off of my savings and the proceeds of my home sale. My stress levels were pretty high when I made the decisions about how to manage it all so I went with what seemed like the easiest option. I put 250k into an RBC managed payout solution fund and have been keeping about 20k in savings which I am living off of.

I know it’s not really ideal due to the fees, which I believe are about 1.9%, but it has worked ok for the last few months. The principle seems to have grown by a few thousand despite the payouts of about 1300 a month. I wonder if there will be some sort of adjustment at year end that will make things look worse. This is a non registered plan btw. My expenses are quite a bit more than that but I have been drawing down some of my savings to make up the difference.

I would really appreciate some opinions about what I should do with my money while I am living abroad. It is possible I could end up getting a job in Europe and might be out here for some time. Essentially I want to get an income from the money in the mutual fund while generally maintaining the principle for when I inevitably return to Canada to pick up where I left off.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Can't phone post for poo poo but the fact that you haven't blown it on garbage like a monogrammed horse means you could be doing a lot, lot worse. Minmaxing is a godawful experience for most people whether you're talking about personal finances or your level 20 paladin, so perfect is a pretty unattainable metric. You're 'alright' rather than 'good', but at that point you've already avoided the big pitfalls.

I was half expecting a 250% apr loan somewhere the way your lost started, but you can weather a financial storm that lasts years which is already top tier finances in most of the western world.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Baldrik posted:

I haven’t been active on the forums for a long time and I’ve tried to play a bit of catchup before I pose my question for some of you more financially savvy Canadian goons. You may cringe about what I’ve done here.

Basically I have decided to move abroad for a year or two and live off of my savings and the proceeds of my home sale. My stress levels were pretty high when I made the decisions about how to manage it all so I went with what seemed like the easiest option. I put 250k into an RBC managed payout solution fund and have been keeping about 20k in savings which I am living off of.

I know it’s not really ideal due to the fees, which I believe are about 1.9%, but it has worked ok for the last few months. The principle seems to have grown by a few thousand despite the payouts of about 1300 a month. I wonder if there will be some sort of adjustment at year end that will make things look worse. This is a non registered plan btw. My expenses are quite a bit more than that but I have been drawing down some of my savings to make up the difference.

I would really appreciate some opinions about what I should do with my money while I am living abroad. It is possible I could end up getting a job in Europe and might be out here for some time. Essentially I want to get an income from the money in the mutual fund while generally maintaining the principle for when I inevitably return to Canada to pick up where I left off.

You could certainly cut your fees roughly in half by using a low cost mutual fund like with Tangerine or TD e-series, but I don't know if they have an automatic payout option so you'd have to be going in and withdrawing money yourself each month. You could also drastically cut your fees by opening your own brokerage account with someone like Questrade and buying and selling your own ETFs, but that takes a lot more time and consideration each month to manually sell stuff, wait for the sale to clear, and then transfer the money to your bank, then get it to yourself in Europe, all of which could take, like, 5+ business days if you're unlucky.

However, with all those options you also have to trust yourself to not misuse your power over your finances and/or freak out when markets dive or soar and make bad decisions.
It's all about how much hassle and responsibility you want to trade for that extra $2k~4k you could be saving in fees every year.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I know this isn't Can Pol but:

quote:

TD Canada Trust backs down, releases family's $846K inheritance
Bank draft went missing and TD seemed to be in no rush to issue new one

By John Lancaster, CBC News Posted: Dec 14, 2017 5:00 AM ET Last Updated: Dec 14, 2017 6:26 PM ET

TD Canada Trust has apologized to an Ontario family and released more than $846,000, hours after CBC News reported that their original bank draft had been lost by UPS.

"We understand that we've reached a resolution with our customer," bank spokeswoman Cheryl Ficker told CBC News via email.

"It's clear to us we didn't get this right along the way and that there was more we could have done to come to a resolution faster."

Lorette Taylor confirmed the new bank draft is with her family's lawyer. "It looks like the matter will be settled," she said.

Taylor and her husband John had been involved in a lengthy, three-way David vs. Goliaths battle after courier company UPS lost the first draft worth and TD — which had issued it — appeared to be in no rush to issue a new one.

"It was a total surprise" Lorette said earlier this week about the ordeal. "Never in my wildest imagination did I think something like this would happen."

She and John said they were at their wit's end trying to recover the money.

It all started last February when Taylor was finalizing details of her father's will. She was tasked with disbursing the inheritances to her sister and brother.

She and John went to their local TD Canada Trust branch, on Brant Street in Burlington, Ont., to get certified cheques.

"They said a bank draft was more appropriate," for that amount of money, Taylor said.

The couple say they also asked bank staff what kind of provisions were in place in the unlikely event the draft was lost or stolen.

"I was told there were procedures to deal with that," John said. He added they were told they would just, "fill out some documentation and a new draft would be issued."

Now, almost 10 months later, the family is still waiting for their money.

The $846,648.46 was for Lorette's brother, Louis Paul Hebert, who lives outside Cornwall, Ont. — some 440 kilometres from the family's lawyer's office in Georgetown. He hired UPS to ship the bank draft to a nearby UPS store.

"I'm waiting at the UPS store, around 3 p.m. because that's when they said the guys came in, nothing shows up" he told CBC News. "I came back in the evening. Nothing shows up… and I'm wondering 'What's happened to my inheritance?'"

Hebert called UPS.

Documents provided by the family show UPS picked up the bank draft as planned. The envelope made it to the UPS distribution centre on Steeles Avenue West in Concord, north of Toronto.

After that, no one knows what happened to it.

"I should have just driven [to the lawyer's office]. It's something I kick myself in the rear over everyday," Hebert said.
UPS distribtion centre on Steeles Ave West in Concord, Ontario

UPS spokeswoman Nirali Raval declined to answer specific questions from CBC Toronto. But in an email she wrote, "While UPS' service is excellent in our industry, we are unfortunately not perfect. Occasionally, the loss of a package does occur."

Raval added: "Our records indicate that our team followed UPS protocol and an exhaustive search for this package was completed by our Operations and Security teams. Unfortunately, we were unable to locate the package."

UPS refunded the $32 it charged Hebert to ship the bank draft. UPS also sent him a letter apologizing, "for any inconvenience."

As Hebert put it, "That's nice of them to say, but it doesn't solve my problems."
'Unbelievable frustration'

Lorette says there's been, "many a night of lost sleep, and gnashing of teeth and anger. Frustration, unbelievable frustration."

In February — less than two weeks after UPS lost the bank draft — a TD branch representative emailed the Taylors to assure them, "there is a process for cancelling the draft."

But two days later, the bank said they would only get their money if they signed an indemnity agreement. Essentially, the bank wanted to hold Lorette — the executor of her father's estate — liable for life if the draft was cashed illegally.

"It also said that if something happened to me, for example, my children and my heirs and my spouse and my executor would have to pay this debt," she said. "Well, I didn't really want to sign this."

But with no other option, she did.

Then, she says, TD Canada Trust ignored the agreement.

"They never paid anyone a dime," she said.

In fact the bank came back with even more demands. It wanted to put a lien on the Taylors' home or force the family to buy GICs in the full amount of the bank draft. The lien or GICs would have to be in place for at least three years.

The Taylors say all of the onus to protect the bank would have been put on them; 40-year customers of the bank.

​Lorette refused.

"If the bank really wants indemnity," she says, "then UPS should sign it."

TD Canada Trust declined to answer specific questions from CBC News. But in an email spokeswoman Cheryl Ficker wrote: "Bank drafts do not expire, and once the draft is issued, the funds are guaranteed for payment. They should be treated as though they are cash.

"In situations where a bank draft is lost or stolen, before we can agree to a replacement or reimbursement we need appropriate security to be in place. Examples of security requirements could include an Indemnity Agreement signed by the parties involved and a surety bond or GIC held for a period of three years," she added.

However, Thursday afternoon the bank said will no longer require the family to put up collateral against the new bank draft. The bank has asked Taylor sign an indemnity agreement that will expire in February 2019.

In the 10 months since the draft was originally issued, Hebert hadn't received a penny of his money.

"TD has the money" he said earlier. "The money is actually sitting in an account with TD. Nothing has been stolen. It's there. That's my inheritance."

Hebert, 61, said he was facing financial insecurity. He said his credit cards are maxed out and he has no source of income.

"I would have been debt free. My money would have been invested" he said. "I would have been retired."

Hebert called the situation "a screw up, a massive screw up where the big guys look after themselves."

CBC News has been told by his relatives Hebert is aware his money will finally be released. Hebert is driving to Toronto and was unable to comment.

Why did the bank suggest a bank draft instead of a cheque? Is it more favorable to them?

What would be the best way to avoid this type of situation?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Professor Shark posted:

I know this isn't Can Pol but:

Why did the bank suggest a bank draft instead of a cheque? Is it more favorable to them?

Build the ability to cancel / nullify bank drafts into their system. They have a number on them, it's loving 2017 and there is no excuse for this bullshit legacy paperwork nonsense that they insist on perpetuating.

In other news Wealth Simple has a 1.2% savings account now, which is government insured? I guess they are just straight up a shifty fintech bank at this point?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
w i r e t r a n s f e r

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Risky Bisquick posted:

w i r e t r a n s f e r

But that costs like, 50$, man! UPS is cheaper at 32$.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Just institute a 100% estate tax

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

quote:

Hebert, 61, said he was facing financial insecurity. He said his credit cards are maxed out and he has no source of income.

"I would have been debt free. My money would have been invested" he said. "I would have been retired."
lol that $800k is going to be spent within a year.

Also, drat, a $2.4m estate. Probably bought a house 60 years ago.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Professor Shark posted:

Bank drafts are a lot more traceable than a certified cheque, and it's a lot easier to tell if they're legitimate. As far as the actual bank go they're a fairly similar process to do, but the bank was 100% right that the bank draft was the way to go.

Of course they did completely gently caress up by not re-issuing it.

You would be very surprised at how much fraud there is concerning fake bank drafts around though. It's a LOT. It got to the point where we had to stop automatically letting bank drafts through without holds if they weren't issued by TD because of the rampant fraud and the fact that the fraudsters got so good at what they were doing.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Risky Bisquick posted:

w i r e t r a n s f e r

last time I tried to do this in an RBC to my TD account they straight up told me they could only do it internationally

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
TD is a garbage incompetent rear end in a top hat bank so that's what you get.

*Hello, it's TD, please come down and sign the forms.
*Hello, thanks for coming, we don't have the forms ready, please sit here and wait for an hour while we try to get another branch to fax them to us.

*Hello, it's TD, please come down and get your bank draft.
*Hello, thanks for coming, we don't have any bank drafts left outside the vault and we can't tell you when the vault is opening again so please just go to another branch, it's just down the street that a way (actually kilometers away).

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

JawKnee posted:

last time I tried to do this in an RBC to my TD account they straight up told me they could only do it internationally

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

cowofwar posted:

TD is a garbage incompetent rear end in a top hat bank so that's what you get.

*Hello, it's TD, please come down and sign the forms.
*Hello, thanks for coming, we don't have the forms ready, please sit here and wait for an hour while we try to get another branch to fax them to us.

*Hello, it's TD, please come down and get your bank draft.
*Hello, thanks for coming, we don't have any bank drafts left outside the vault and we can't tell you when the vault is opening again so please just go to another branch, it's just down the street that a way (actually kilometers away).

I was at the RBC, not the TD, but yeah

basically the woman helping me was using whatever program they use for wire transfers and was like:

clerk: "I need to put in a country to transfer to but they don't have Canada in the list :confused: "

*gets her manager*

manager: *repeats all the same actions* "Huh... we can only do wire transfers internationally"

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Step 1) Click "International Wire Transfer".

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Go to a new branch if your talking heads can't do basic banking tasks

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

JawKnee posted:

Domestic wires are utterly a thing. RBC, amusingly, charges wire fees to wire to another RBC customer. (The direct transfer thing only works up to $3K.)

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
I'm going to pull the trigger on a degree program this year. Is anyone familiar with financial aid options in Ontario for people who are still working while doing school part-time? Not sure if OSAP is as generous with folks who have assets (less than $15k)

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If you make less than some amount per year I think there are automatic grants when you apply for a govt student loan (it was like this in BC).

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://business.financialpost.com/c...p-growth-report

quote:

Triple threat to Canada's economy could cut our growth in half for next 15 years, report warns
New study sounds alarm about falling consumer spending, a potential pullback in residential housing investment and anemic levels of oil and gas expenditures

CALGARY – A triple threat of falling consumer spending, a potential pullback in residential housing investment and anemic levels of oil and gas expenditures could cut economic growth rate in half for the next 15 years, a new Boston Consulting Group report warns.

“We’ve gotten used to sustained growth that is the envy of a lot of other G7 and advanced countries,” Keith Halliday, director of BCG Centre for Canada’s Future, told the Financial Post. “Past performance is no guarantee of future performance and if these downside scenarios materialize, it will mean lower incomes, fewer business opportunities and less government tax revenue for social programs than we would expect.”

In a report released Tuesday, the consultancy said it expects Canada’s GDP growth rate to fall from a historical average of 2.4 per cent between 1995 and 2016 – a level of growth that outpaced all other G7 countries – to an average of just 1.2 per cent between now and 2030.

The decline in GDP growth will be led by a 0.9 per cent fall in consumer spending, another 0.3 percentage point decline in residential housing investment and a 0.1 per cent decline in oil and gas related capital expenditures, the report said.

“If you express these ideas as fractions of a percentage point, it doesn’t seem like very much, but compounded over 20 or 30 years, the impact is quite significant,” Halliday said.

The report states that oil and gas makes up 18 per cent of the country’s GDP, 12 per cent of its jobs and 27 per cent of its exports, and “no matter how you slice it, the energy and mining sector makes up a significant portion of economic activity in Canada.”

BCG said that after capital expenditure “plummeted after the oil shock” of 2014, the economy has lost a major driver of future growth.

Data from the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers shows capital investment in the oil and natural gas industry declined 62 per cent from $81 billion in 2014 to $31 billion in 2016, the last year for which data is available.

Canada’s shrinking economy signals slowdown could be worse than feared
Signs of Canada’s economic slowdown are no longer ‘just a one-off blip’
The BCG report warns that the 50 per cent fall in GDP growth would have significant consequences for the country’s economy and income levels.

If the current growth rate of 2.4 per cent growth persists, GDP per capita would rise to $60,000 by 2030 from $50,000 per person today. However, the expected 1.2 per cent average growth rate would leave GDP per capita stagnant at $50,000, over the same period given population growth forecasts.

Halliday and BCG managing director Vinay Shandal said they were not predicting that :rolleyes: consumer spending or housing bubbles :rolleyes: are about to pop, but published the report to highlight the implications of what would happen if a slowdown in consumer spending materialized.

Many watchdogs including The Organisation of Economic Co-operation and Development have also warned about rising household debt and inflated home prices in key Canadian cities that could lead to financial shocks.

At least in the short term, economic growth forecasts continue to trend closer to the historical average. A recent Scotiabank economic forecast pegged Canada’s real GDP growth rate at 3.0 per cent for 2017, 2.2 per cent for 2018 but predicted a fall to 1.5 per cent for 2019.

Similarly, the most recent long-term economic forecast from the Conference Board of Canada released last year expected economic growth in excess of 2 per cent in the near future but “over the long term, potential output will be limited to annual growth below 2 per cent as the aging of the population puts downward pressure on labour force growth.”

To boost economic growth long-term, the BCG report suggests two changes. First, Canada should complete “overdue reforms” like the elimination of trade barriers between provinces. Second, it should chase “big ideas” and emerging trends like robotics and artificial intelligence to boost the economy.

good thing there's no risk of the housing bubble popping or consumer spending slowing

so go ahead and treat yourself you deserve that g63

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Investing came up last night and a guy was telling me I was exposing my self to a lot of risk when I told him I've been trying to move away from having much Canadian exposure. "With trump it's dangerous to invest in the US, europe is unstable, and there might be nuclear war in Asia soon while Canada has a strong safe economy, that's why everyone's buying houses here and trying to move here" He thought I was a fool for not doubling down on Canada and ditching my foreign investments.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Lol Europe unstable

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Investing came up last night and a guy was telling me I was exposing my self to a lot of risk when I told him I've been trying to move away from having much Canadian exposure. "With trump it's dangerous to invest in the US, europe is unstable, and there might be nuclear war in Asia soon while Canada has a strong safe economy, that's why everyone's buying houses here and trying to move here" He thought I was a fool for not doubling down on Canada and ditching my foreign investments.

This is my opinion only, not sure of your risk profile, etc:

That doesn't make a lot of sense because Canadian markets are so affected by the US stuff, just look at NAFTA right now. I don't have any Canadian investments despite being Canadian because I don't think being from a place is really a good reason to invest in that market (if you're not being disadvantaged by currency exchange). If anything Trump makes it safer to invest in the states - look at the recent tax reform, look at the policy direction towards in-USA production/industry. As much of a loving idiot as he is and how he's overall hurting the states, he's doing so in such a way as to strengthen a lot of positions there.

People are buying real estate in Canada because it's doing very well but it's also seen as a bit of a bubble, especially here in Vancouver. Remember that a big driver of the real estate market is the instability of some Asian markets.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

DariusLikewise posted:

Just institute a 100% estate tax

Not only is the sentiment incredibly stupid this would never, ever work. There are always loopholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The biggest loophole being that Canada has no gift tax.