Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

TheAnomaly posted:

I've gotten a unique two-handed Axe from an armored weirdeganger+necromancer gang. It definitely wasn't dropped by anyone carrying it, though, so it was lair loot for sure.

Same here, I got a unique one-handed fighting axe with +34% armor damage and +9% armor ignore from fighting a bunch of geists and weidergangers today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torsoboy
Sep 9, 2001

lesbian armada overlord
I kinda wish I hadn't done the get famed weapon, shield, armor and helm ambition because while I have all of the first three items the helm is eluding me... for almost 50 days

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

My ambition problem right now is I decided to take out another mercenary company, and there are suddenly no such companies that aren't working for my Allied faction. Attacking them sets my faction to hostile and that is a real bummer.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Axes are better than I used to think they were.

And long-axes rock.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
If I had to do like a challenge run where I could only use a single type of melee weapon for all my dudes, I would probably choose axes.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I cannot live without my maces.

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

Night10194 posted:

I cannot live without my maces.

Perhaps I was just utilizing them incorrectly, but I found maces to be the worst. I could always find a use for axe (destroying shields), flails (killing guys without helms), and spears are always good for spearwall. What tactics do you use with maces to make them effective?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Stun dude. With Mace Expert hitting someone with Knock Out will stun them 100% of the time if they aren't immune and having 1-2 good macemen can really help you control things.

Also, they do decent through-armor damage and inflict Fatigue on normal hits, so they can crop up injuries and slow people down even if you aren't stunning.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
If only Round Swing had some mechanism to make it even vaguely viable to use axes would be great but practically speaking 2h axes are basically single target only weapons.

Taking a huge penalty to hit and randomly murdering your own dudes is kind of a poo poo combo considering how very uncommon it is to have more than 3 targets available which can be taken advantage of by the other 2h weapons

I'll admit that long ages and handaxes are awesome though.

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

Night10194 posted:

Stun dude. With Mace Expert hitting someone with Knock Out will stun them 100% of the time if they aren't immune and having 1-2 good macemen can really help you control things.

Also, they do decent through-armor damage and inflict Fatigue on normal hits, so they can crop up injuries and slow people down even if you aren't stunning.

I guess I was always unsure which enemies were immune to stun, so I just never did tried it against anyone other than bandits.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

RabidWeasel posted:

If only Round Swing had some mechanism to make it even vaguely viable to use axes would be great but practically speaking 2h axes are basically single target only weapons.

Taking a huge penalty to hit and randomly murdering your own dudes is kind of a poo poo combo considering how very uncommon it is to have more than 3 targets available which can be taken advantage of by the other 2h weapons

I'll admit that long ages and handaxes are awesome though.

It takes some doing to make a really good Swinger but damned if I don't love it. You basically rely on Footwork to get you into a crowd after a bowman or polearm user opens a hole and make up to five guys into five corpses.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Yeah it's another one of the really fun in concept, occasionally fun in practice, but ultimately suboptimal builds. I typically make one or two for fun, but you're almost always better off having another greatsword/2 handed hammer dude in the fights that are actually a challenge. I mean, a greataxe/mansplitter/berserker chain roundswinger is going to absolutely wreck in a fight with a bunch of weidergangers, but those aren't particularly difficult by the time you have the levels and gear to build one of these dudes anyway. It's also rare that you have the opportunity to take full advantage of a 6 tile round swing over a regular 3 tile swing more than once or twice in a fight.

I do like having a man splitter axe mastery bro or two around for when I absolutely want to gently caress shields though. It's the only thing that can 1-hit an ancient dead tower shield, and it helps keep the meat grinder working in your favor when fighting them. Getting to occasionally round swing poo poo tier stuff while leveling him up is gravy.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
By the way, quick question. I know part of the reason 2h axes are so deadly is that they have a hit-check on both the head and the body, and can potentially hit both. Am I correct in assuming this doesn't apply to round swing?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Dancer posted:

By the way, quick question. I know part of the reason 2h axes are so deadly is that they have a hit-check on both the head and the body, and can potentially hit both. Am I correct in assuming this doesn't apply to round swing?

Correct, that only applies to "split man" aka 2h axe normal single target attack. Also worth mentioning that Long Axes do not have this attack, they have "Strike" (5% bonus to hit the head) as their normal attack.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Long axes own and are the best polearm.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

vyelkin posted:

Long axes own and are the best polearm.

Look at how correct this opinion is.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
i dunno warscythes are also pretty loving boss

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Even the low-tier axes are p great, so I make sure to have some, as well as at least two club users. Spear mastery is really dandy as well for dealing with hordes.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Has anyone got the 18 battle brother mod to work?

Any good?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Is there any trick to fighting direwolves? All my bros miss their attacks all the time and spears do poo poo damage to them. The archers missed literally all of their shots against them in the last fight I had.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Terminally Bored posted:

Is there any trick to fighting direwolves? All my bros miss their attacks all the time and spears do poo poo damage to them. The archers missed literally all of their shots against them in the last fight I had.

Spearwalls and archers are the pretty definitive remedy to direwolf woes. Bad luck at the start of a direwolf or orc fight early on can destroy your front line though. Maces and the trade-position skill are lifesavers in general and their general utility can help with wolves, but letting wolves ram themselves in to your spear wall is the way to go.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 37 minutes!

Strong economic map - good roads - average Bros

Spearman - strong
Axe - nothing
Xbowman - brute (which is useless for ranged)

1x Copper
2x Trapper
4x Amber
2x Salt
1x Gems
1x Dye Maker
1x Mushrooms
2x Peat
1x Beekeeper
1x Winery
some Goat and Pig farms

Drawbacks: no lumber mill, no arrow maker, no hunting lodge.....

Tias
May 25, 2008

Terminally Bored posted:

Make sure you're ready. 2/3-star wolf tasks are definitely not for a starting crew. You'll want proper armor and shields so as to not be mauled by their chain attacks, and high melee attack or lots of flanking is needed to consistently hit them. Frenzied direwolves but also the regular kind can and will sometimes overwhelm spearwalls, so you need to be ready to get in a quick and lethal counteroffensive.

Hammerstein posted:

Strong economic map - good roads - average Bros

Spearman - strong
Axe - nothing
Xbowman - brute (which is useless for ranged)

1x Copper
2x Trapper
4x Amber
2x Salt
1x Gems
1x Dye Maker
1x Mushrooms
2x Peat
1x Beekeeper
1x Winery
some Goat and Pig farms

Drawbacks: no lumber mill, no arrow maker, no hunting lodge.....

I think I speak for everyone when I say: what about doggos

Tias fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Dec 15, 2017

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 37 minutes!
I honestly have not checked for doggos and feel bad now :smith:

Edit: Loaded the map and Adlerwacht has a Kennel.....endless doggos with that economy...

Also a question, since I haven't played in a while. Did they change something concerning stat growth and backgrounds ? I hired a couple of hunters and they all came with zero stars in ranged, but I keep rolling +4s in ranged when they gain a level, which wasn't possible last time I played. (it's also not the Gifted perk).

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Dec 15, 2017

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ranged starts lower but grows at 2-4 naturally.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I finally completed the stupid legendary set ambition. Started it on day 250, it is now day 578. I raided an opened mass grave fought 4 auxillaries, 14 legionaries and a priest with their honor guard. Ended up with a pavisse shield.

Legionaries were mostly equipped with pikes so i plowed through the weak front lines and savaged the back.

A notable moment was the priest got off 3 gasses before a legionary piker who was engaged with me ROTATED THE PRIEST INTO THE FRONT LINE. So that was funny as hell. Decent thing to remember to get at a priest as well.

Of the end game enemies, I think I like undead the best. They are a slog but my dps is pretty strong and we break their lines quick enough before pikers get any good shots.

Goblins are assholes that leave a third of my men horribly wounded every time (or killing my filly fiddler!)

I havent bothered with orcs because gently caress rolling the dice with 25 orcs, half of which are warriors backed with a warlord.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Terminally Bored posted:

Direwolves are the best once you figure out how to make them kill themselves on you. Usually I let my archers pass on the first round so they can hit the direwolves once they move in with overwhelm and I move the spearbros one space forward and spearwall. Also, fighting in the dark makes your archers bad but is good against goblins I hear because their archers are really good?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Goblin archers have less of a penalty in the dark than yours do, because they have better night vision or something.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
No I'm pretty sure they have the same penalty. The nighttime penalty overall was reduced in an update not too long ago, though.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also you feel like you have a higher penalty against gobbos because they all have Anticipation, I think.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Yea between goblin ambusher versus your own archers, your archers will usually lose. So it's best to keep them out of the fight and attack gobbos at night to nullify their archers.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

My archers can outshoot them, especially the batshit insane Tiny+59 Starting Skill+3 Star Hunter I hired, the problem is my archers can't outshoot them enough to stop the little shits poisoning my front line so it's better to go in at night, yeah.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Night10194 posted:

My archers can outshoot them, especially the batshit insane Tiny+59 Starting Skill+3 Star Hunter I hired, the problem is my archers can't outshoot them enough to stop the little shits poisoning my front line so it's better to go in at night, yeah.

Yea, the poison is really what makes it unequal.

I did find out one downside of night fighting though; with the -vision from the darkness, if your longpikers/longaxemen get hit with poison, it will drive their vision so low that they can only hit what is next to them, making them effectively useless for 3 turns as the poison wears off. (It may be due to the helment I have on the pikers though, so there can be wiggle room).

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I had a near sighted brother lose an eye and get into a fight at night while wearing a greathelm (or more accurately that one fallen hero metal helmet that looks vaguely like Jason Vorhees) and I swear he couldn't even attack adjacent tiles.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Donkringel posted:

I havent bothered with orcs because gently caress rolling the dice with 25 orcs, half of which are warriors backed with a warlord.

Nothing feels quite as good as winning a fight like that but

Unless you're real lucky or way way way better than me you get to win ONE of those and then you've probably got too many casualties to do it again

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I actually prefer fighting orcs to anything else once I'm solidly in the midgame. Orc warriors don't actually hit that hard and have morale issues. They waste actions using shieldwall all the time and try to constantly push through your lines even when it's not advantageous to them. They're vulnerable to being overwhelmed and orc young are basically target practice for your archers.

Warlords are a pain in the rear end though.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I'm streaming for an hour or so

https://www.twitch.tv/griddead

Tias
May 25, 2008

Man, I really wish city militias were easier to command. As it is, they just can't wait to leave my spearwall and get themselves carved up into easily resurrected peasant kabob :sigh:

Tias
May 25, 2008

E. sorry, DP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Game good, liking it alot. What I'm not liking is how insane the dice can be sometimes. Game is cool and good, missing 6 shots on a guy with no shield in one turn, and then having my guy with a named shield on, full armor and helmet, and shieldwalling, getting killed in one turn is not.