Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Geoj posted:

Fixed.

But at least it triggered the libs :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Y'all are spicy tonight. I can only imagine it's because you're excited for all these star wars comin tomorrow.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Adiabatic posted:

Y'all are spicy tonight. I can only imagine it's because you're excited for all these star wars comin tomorrow.

Spoiler: Like masturbates with his fake hand to he can pretend someone else is doing it, that's why it doesn't have skin on it anymore

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Spoiler: Luke is a sith, and Snoke is Han's twin brother

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Geoj posted:

Fixed.

Fair, but at least y'all are aware you're getting screwed. Everyone here pretends the net is still neutral, thus there is no problem to fix, move along everyone.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Spoiler: Luke is a sith, and Snoke is Han's twin brother

Snoke kills Dumbledore

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

Fair, but at least y'all are aware you're getting screwed. Everyone here pretends the net is still neutral, thus there is no problem to fix, move along everyone.

The internet in Canada isn't that bad unless you live in some butthole town comprising entirely of racist farmers and nursing homes. I'm paying $90/month for 150/15 and no cap in Victoria, BC...

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Adiabatic posted:

Saw a Star War yesterday, it was good

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

The internet in Canada isn't that bad unless you live in some butthole town comprising entirely of racist farmers and nursing homes. I'm paying $90/month for 150/15 and no cap in Victoria, BC...

:thunk:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
You might as well spoil Star Wars - you fuckers already spoiled Baby Driver for me.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

spog posted:

You might as well spoil Star Wars - you fuckers already spoiled Baby Driver for me.

Darth Vader is Luke's father.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Luke Skywalker is in the movie

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Carrie Fisher is dead but there is no Force ghost of her since she rejected the ways of the Force to do cocaine.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Adiabatic posted:

Darth Vader is Luke's father.

NOOOOO! That's not true! THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

BigPaddy posted:

Carrie Fisher is dead but there is no Force ghost of her since she rejected the ways of the Force to do cocaine.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I didn't do it this time, although I am full of mirth towards the FCC as well

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

42 players so far in the Sheep Game, with six days left to submit your answers. My goal is 60 players for this game, so that means we have some work to do still!

Come play today! Everyone is welcome to come play, even if you're only a lurker!

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I'll try to remember to get in this weekend. I mean, no reason I can't now, just :effort:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Previa_fun posted:

I'll try to remember to get in this weekend. I mean, no reason I can't now, just :effort:

:colbert:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/14/16777500/ajit-pai-net-neutrality-republican-politics-whoops

Žižek was right :getin:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Thank you. I'm proud of you.

You not so much.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

It's drunk college students and nursing homes here, get it right. :colbert:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

FBS posted:

I've been distracted most of this month with hockey and video games. What did Dick do to prompt the forum name change?

Gather round, y'all, and sit a spell. I'ma tell you a little story, about a little town called Valentine

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I would unironically read that book.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

well heat transfer was exactly as poo poo as i predicted but i juuuuuust squeaked by so at least i won't have my graduation delayed

to celebrate i bought a new capacitor and finally fixed my bedroom ceiling fan that's been busted since like march. my sister gave me a replacement that she threw out (her house had like 12 fans in various rooms when she move in), but it's an ancient cast-iron thing and I don't trust the existing junction box to hold the weight; it's got to be at least 40 pounds. I'm sure it'll be good for shop shenanigans once I've got disposable income to throw around, though.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

gently caress yeah dude. Heat Transfer is absolutely the hardest class in a BSME. Good work and congratulations!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Also do yourself a favor and get your FE out of the way now. PE's are in super high demand, and once you have the 4 years you can go straight to the PE if you're already an EIT. The FE is an easy easy test for someone who just passed heat transfer.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I'm the only employee in a ~700 customer ISP and we threatened to ditch AT&T's $2300 a month* gig fiber if pull any NN shenanigans.

*soon to be two of them

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I should clarify it was heat transfer 2, which was even more of a nightmare. Having the first exam moved to the same day as the final (for a total of 3; 2 mandatory and a cumulative final that replaced the lowest grade) sure as gently caress didn't help; literally half my grade hinged on my exam performance on one day.

Nervous about the FE but I'm sure it'll be a massive boost for my resume now that my GPA has dismally fallen ~~below 3.0~~. It's like 2.89 but I'm at like 230 credit hours at this point so there's fuckall chance of getting it back above the magic number with only one semester left. Holy gently caress @ that exam fee, though. Drops from $225 to $175 starting Jan 1st so at least there's that?

Holy poo poo that cast iron fan is a model that goes for like $200 on ebay. Potential goldmine but ehhh the shipping is probably ridiculous at that weight.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Enourmo posted:

I should clarify it was heat transfer 2, which was even more of a nightmare. Having the first exam moved to the same day as the final (for a total of 3; 2 mandatory and a cumulative final that replaced the lowest grade) sure as gently caress didn't help; literally half my grade hinged on my exam performance on one day.

Nervous about the FE but I'm sure it'll be a massive boost for my resume now that my GPA has dismally fallen ~~below 3.0~~. It's like 2.89 but I'm at like 230 credit hours at this point so there's fuckall chance of getting it back above the magic number with only one semester left. Holy gently caress @ that exam fee, though. Drops from $225 to $175 starting Jan 1st so at least there's that?

Holy poo poo that cast iron fan is a model that goes for like $200 on ebay. Potential goldmine but ehhh the shipping is probably ridiculous at that weight.

You will do super fine I promise. It's computerized now and you can literally search keywords in the digital reference manual they supply you.

Also heat transfer 2 sounds like the stuff of nightmares.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

HEAT TRANSFER 2: TRANSFER HOTTER

Does the fact that I loved heat transfer make me a weirdo?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Yep.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

LloydDobler posted:

HEAT TRANSFER 2: TRANSFER HOTTER

So can you make those kickin rad shirts now or what

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

I mean Calgary is a backwater one-horse hick town and we'd all gently caress the teeth right outta our cousins if they had any, but we've got 300000 more people than that whole island you're on. When I lived in Forest Lawn, just 7km from city center the options were:
Telus-$60/mo 6/0.5
Dial-up
In 2012 they added the option of an $80/mo 15/2 and some heinously priced marginally faster plans, they pretty much had to upgrade the infrastructure there due to extreme demand for Optik TV from the constant cable downtime.

Oh Teksavvy? nope, Telus isn't required to sell bandwidth to TS in that neighborhood. Cable infrastructure is _fucked_ on that street (down every other month steady the last 2-3 years) so cable wasn't really an option. Shaw's plans were equally rapey to Telus as well. Zero other options.
I'm spoiled now that I've moved to a neighborhood with good cable, I've got the TS 25/2.5 for $40, this is the sweetest poo poo ever and I am in awe of this awesome speedy dirt cheap intertube.
Oh god I'm talking about politics AND internet speed I am really bad at AI

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

LloydDobler posted:

Hey there fellow weird!

... I was taking grad classes as electives, lol.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Adiabatic posted:

Also heat transfer 2 sounds like the stuff of nightmares.

Calculating h from first principles for various convection setups, in-depth heat exchangers of all shapes and sizes, boiling/condensation transfers, and detailed radiation stuff, including spectral variation and viewing angle stuff.

It was brutal.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

ilkhan posted:

gently caress yeah back to the horrible mess that was 2015 internets.

get hosed

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

I mean Calgary is a backwater one-horse hick town and we'd all gently caress the teeth right outta our cousins if they had any, but we've got 300000 more people than that whole island you're on. When I lived in Forest Lawn, just 7km from city center the options were:
Telus-$60/mo 6/0.5
Dial-up
In 2012 they added the option of an $80/mo 15/2 and some heinously priced marginally faster plans, they pretty much had to upgrade the infrastructure there due to extreme demand for Optik TV from the constant cable downtime.

Oh Teksavvy? nope, Telus isn't required to sell bandwidth to TS in that neighborhood. Cable infrastructure is _fucked_ on that street (down every other month steady the last 2-3 years) so cable wasn't really an option. Shaw's plans were equally rapey to Telus as well. Zero other options.
I'm spoiled now that I've moved to a neighborhood with good cable, I've got the TS 25/2.5 for $40, this is the sweetest poo poo ever and I am in awe of this awesome speedy dirt cheap intertube.
Oh god I'm talking about politics AND internet speed I am really bad at AI
Ironically, small town rednecky Alberta seems to be better than most centers now. Many of us have FTTH with GB potential, but I'm on 250/250/1TB (which I'm never more than 400gb) for $85. Cheaper if I want a contract but gently caress being beholden. As soon as a 3rd party has access to the FTTH I'm jumping ship.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Feeling pretty glad right now that the EU has some pretty hefty net neutrality laws. What's it going to look like in the UK after Brexit, has there been any talk about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Well Empress May no longer has the option of making her own changes without oversight so for now we'll carry on as we are.

• Locked thread